Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

C-Euro posted:

Not really getting the Spreading Seas part other than as anti-nonbasic tech, but looks funny regardless.

It's another one of those cards that isn't nearly good enough to fight the Eldrazi decks that people are playing because it's one of the best possible options available to fight the Eldrazi decks.

Also, Goon League VI is over and DAD LOST MY IPOD is the winner with Joblins! He won like, a pack of one of the Master Editions sets and a play set of Mulldrifters! Everyone congratulate him then join Goon League VII: Dirge of Faeries: a MTGO only tournament!

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Feb 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

C-Euro posted:

Not really getting the Spreading Seas part other than as anti-nonbasic tech, but looks funny regardless.

Eye of Ugin goes from "Colorless Eldrazi spells you cast cost {2} less to cast. {7}, {T}: Search your library for a colorless creature card, reveal it, and put it into your hand. Then shuffle your library." to "T:U" if it's hit by spreading seas.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
No Obstinate Baloth, smdh

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

JerryLee posted:

No Obstinate Baloth, smdh

Baloth just gets squished. You need the Lieges and Smiters to outsize Reality Smasher.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Baloth just gets squished. You need the Lieges and Smiters to outsize Reality Smasher.

A shame that thought knot exiles instead of discard

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

Knight of the Reliquary fetching up Ghost Quarters is sweet as heck.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

A big flaming stink posted:

Jace is actually a pretty interesting character in some of the fiction that has been written but he consists entirely of "smug douche" in cards

His flavour text and his omnipresence really hurt an ok character, yeah. So many people have the idea that Jace is the writers' precious baby who can't do anything wrong, and whose personality consists entirely of being a dickbag nerd. But even in the Oath fiction, half his character has been "poo poo, Gideon's way cooler than me and has actual charisma, which blows illusions and mindtricking people out of the water."

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Haha I love a good hate deck. Does it work?

Tailfnz
Oct 13, 2011

I'm delightfully forgettable.

gwrtheyrn posted:

A shame that thought knot exiles instead of discard

Reality Smasher's ability causes discard, hence how actually loving sick this makes Smiter and Wilt-Leaf in combination with Reprisal.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Tailfnz posted:

Reality Smasher's ability causes discard, hence how actually loving sick this makes Smiter and Wilt-Leaf in combination with Reprisal.

Right but it'd be ever so slightly better if thought knot discarded instead of exiled, though it'd basically require your hand to be only lands and smiters/lieges

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Does Reprisal do anything relevant that something like Valorous Stance doesn't?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Regeneration is a big deal, brah.

Also is LSV gonna stream this deck soon

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

What runs regeneration besides affinity if they have welding jar?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

gwrtheyrn posted:

What runs regeneration besides affinity if they have welding jar?

Experiment One? :confused:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Also Reprisal is power vs. Valorous Stance being toughness. The only place I can think of this being relevant in Modern is, again, Affinity, but they're probably a lot more likely to be playing Cranial Plating than Welding Jar. :v:

Alaan
May 24, 2005

JerryLee posted:

Also Reprisal is power vs. Valorous Stance being toughness. The only place I can think of this being relevant in Modern is, again, Affinity, but they're probably a lot more likely to be playing Cranial Plating than Welding Jar. :v:

Stance could kill Goyf sooner!

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
I like how even in Legacy, the format with Wasteland, Rishadan Port, and the like, Eldrazi is tearing it up.

It turns out a deck that can run a total of 16 lands that give you more than 1 mana (Ancient Tomb, City of Traitors, Eldrazi Temple, and Eye of Ugin) is kind of ridiculously good.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Emergency Bant needs a few Rancors to go hog wild with the Reprisal/Hero shenanigans so the deck has a plan against anything other than Eldrazi and Affinity.

anglachel
May 28, 2012

The Shortest Path posted:

Emergency Bant needs a few Rancors to go hog wild with the Reprisal/Hero shenanigans so the deck has a plan against anything other than Eldrazi and Affinity.

There are other decks than those 2? The real question to me now is when Affinity eats a ban in Modern. I mean it's always showed up in every top 8 ever. And it's probably more hated against than even Burn before the Eldrazi rise. I think it's a question of what will get hit with. I'm thinking Inkmoth sense it will also clip Infect.

anglachel fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Feb 25, 2016

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

anglachel posted:

There are other decks than those 2? The real question to me now is when Affinity eats a ban in Modern. I mean it's always showed up in every top 8 ever. And it's probably more hated against than even Burn before the Eldrazi rise. I think it's a question of what will get hit with. I'm thinking Inkmoth sense it will also clip Infect.

Ban Modern instead

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

TheKingofSprings posted:

Ban Modern instead

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

anglachel posted:

Affinity has definitely had stretches where it's not posted high level top eights. And to correct everyone saying it's not had a ban, it's had six. Does Infect even merit "clipping" at this stage?

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Ban Modern instead

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I don't know, Modern seems to make the right people unhappy.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
I love modern. I can afford a bunch of decks in that format, where I can't do that in the other major formats.

I now have put together:

Elf wave Combo
Living end
Goblins
Burn
Norin soul sisters
GW hatebears
Amulet combo
Mono U Tron
Torpor Terror

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
As someone with a superficial understanding of Hearthstone, on the surface Eternal (that LSV card game) looks virtually identical to it, regardless of how it actually plays. The animations, the frames, the board, artstyle.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!
Also the completely rear end visual design of the entire thing. I think the main reason I could never even try and get into Hearthstone is just how flat out ugly the aesthetics of the thing are. It's just overdone, overstuffed and painful to look at for extended periods of time. This game does not seem to change that bit either.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Rinkles posted:

As someone with a superficial understanding of Hearthstone, on the surface Eternal (that LSV card game) looks virtually identical to it, regardless of how it actually plays. The animations, the frames, the board, artstyle.

Was my first reaction when I checked lsv's stream the other day so I closed it pretty quick.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Does Reprisal do anything relevant that something like Valorous Stance doesn't?

Kills a creature with Cranial Plating on it for those few matchup when you face to face Affinity instead of Eldrazi.

Jenx posted:

Also the completely rear end visual design of the entire thing. I think the main reason I could never even try and get into Hearthstone is just how flat out ugly the aesthetics of the thing are. It's just overdone, overstuffed and painful to look at for extended periods of time. This game does not seem to change that bit either.

It seems like no one's found a good middle ground between modo's bare-bones and having giant cartoon dragon borders taking up half your screen.
Small companies can't afford good art design and I guess the big ones don't care.

Entropic fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Feb 25, 2016

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
well, I guess it was too much to ask for both game stores in my city to be Eldrazi-free. the usual store I fleece for wins saw me in second to Thought-Knot Seer (which is what's written on the weekly standings board, because they know who they are)

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Entropic posted:

It seems like no one's found a good middle ground between modo's bare-bones and having giant cartoon dragon borders taking up half your screen.
Small companies can't afford good art design and I guess the big ones don't care.

I think it might be the case that most people like or aren't bothered by giant cartoon dragons. Or rather, most people don't care about the UI, but there are more people that like giant cartoon dragons than people that don't.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Entropic posted:

Kills a creature with Cranial Plating on it for those few matchup when you face to face Affinity instead of Eldrazi.

Might and Magic Duel of Champions was great in this regard, too bad Ubisoft took a big steaming dump on it.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

http://mtgtop8.com/format?f=MO&meta=54

What a diverse metagame

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Four Score posted:

well, I guess it was too much to ask for both game stores in my city to be Eldrazi-free. the usual store I fleece for wins saw me in second to Thought-Knot Seer (which is what's written on the weekly standings board, because they know who they are)
Yeah ok, lots of sympathy there brah.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

They lump WU Eldrazi Aggro and GR Eldrazi Aggro UR Eldrazi Aggro into the same archetype. :rolleyes:

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

They lump WU Eldrazi Aggro and GR Eldrazi Aggro UR Eldrazi Aggro into the same archetype. :rolleyes:

Colorless Eldrazi Aggro and Bant Eldrazi Aggro, too :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Colorless Eldrazi Aggro and Bant Eldrazi Aggro, too :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I know, right? It's like if they lumped RUG Delver, BUG Delver, Show and Tell, and Miracles into "Ux Force of Will". Of course the metagame would be appear skewed if you used lovely reporting like that.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
That's why you play Mono White Turbo Fog and laugh at Eldrazi players

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

It's time we focus on the real issue here. Eldrazi decks aren't out of control, it's misreporting of archetypes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

80s James Hetfield posted:

That's why you play Mono White Turbo Fog and laugh at Eldrazi players

I'm more of a fan of Path your Reality Smasher discarding Big Game Hunter pay Madness killing your Thought-Knot Seer.

Abzan Company is life.

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Feb 25, 2016

• Locked thread