Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Arsenic Lupin posted:

There are multiple recorded examples of that. A notorious one in the UK in the 19th century was the Tichborne case.

The butcher looked completely unlike the vanished man; was unclear on details like his mother's name; was ignorant of French, the vanished baronet's first language; and knew none of the things that would have been part of the real Tichborne's education. It didn't matter. Lady Tichborne, now childless, clung to the claimant and paid him a salary.

After she died, he sued for the title, resulting in a civil trial followed by a criminal trial. Neither worked out well for him. Fascinating case.

Can dingos swim?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

ricecult posted:

Yes, that would be Heaven's Gate.

The creepiest thing to me about this is that there's somebody out there who's paying to keep this site up. I wonder if that means this is still working:

quote:

To Send Us an Email Use: rep@heavensgate.com

And also whether someone's monitoring it.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Well I'm sure as gently caress not emailing it.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

The creepiest thing to me about this is that there's somebody out there who's paying to keep this site up. I wonder if that means this is still working:

And also whether someone's monitoring it.

the heavens gate website is run by mark and sarah king under the name " the TELAH (The Evolutionary Level Above Human) foundation". they are 2 ex members who still believed in the doctrine but werent ready to fully commit so they handled advertising and public relations/handing out cult materials.

e: heres a reddit thread where this image comes from, didnt read the thread itself bc i dont care but yes the email is still v active

fun hater has a new favorite as of 02:59 on Feb 22, 2016

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I wonder if they still do web design, and if it's stuck in mid-90s aesthetics and technology because they haven't gotten any new orders from the leader in 20 years.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Jack Gladney posted:

I wonder if they still do web design, and if it's stuck in mid-90s aesthetics and technology because they haven't gotten any new orders from the leader in 20 years.

apparently the site design/data is loaded and kept on floppy disks for...some reason

source

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

I remember hearing about Rilya some 15 years ago when she was one of the possible identities for Precious Doe (another sad story. The facial reconstruction pictures of her were posted in my school bus for a long time. It was a relief to finally know who she was, this little girl that I saw every day). Her name is an acronym for "Remember I Love You Always" :smith:

Adam Walsh. Son of America's Most Wanted host John Walsh. All they found was his head :stare:

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

Harold Stassen posted:

Frederic Bourdain- assumes the identity of a long-missing child. The family is only too eager to "adopt" him- why? They seemed to know he wasn't who he said he was- why did they go along with it? What happened to the kid he replaced? :stare:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Imposter_(2012_film)

I feel like the documentary heavily alluded to the idea that the family was involved in the boy's disappearance, which is why they were so quick to accept this man who was not theirs. He made a great cover.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

There's kind of a twist at the end, though. They might just be insane with grief and not believe that anyone could be so cruel as to impersonate their dead son.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I've been meaning to post it here forever but last year I read an amazing book with the somewhat silly name of People Who Eat Darkness, about the murder of Lucie Blackman, an english woman working as a hostess in Japan.

Its got everything. Foreigner murdered in a country with near-zero crime, wild conspiracy theories, an insane mother, a father that everyone hates because he isnt acting sad enough...

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

JibbaJabberwocky posted:

I feel like the documentary heavily alluded to the idea that the family was involved in the boy's disappearance, which is why they were so quick to accept this man who was not theirs. He made a great cover.

I thought probably an accidental death with some degree of negligence. No normal family would do this.

The way the sister coached him with the pictures- saying "dad really misses you, mom really misses you" and showing him pictures of mom and dad- so he could identify people he'd never seen before when it was time for him to "go home"- it's amazing because it's layers on layers- this guy's a con artist, but who's conning who? The family had some independent motivation for becoming involved in that way and taking the approach they did.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

How would he help them as cover, though? He'd get a ton of exposure and be revealed as a result, just like what happened.

Also, he's not just a fraud. He clearly has some kind of mental illness that compels him to claim to be missing kids. Wasn't his story that he was kidnapped by the government and experimented on or something?

Jisae
Oct 1, 2004

What a bargain!

A blog just compiled a list of disappearance cases, "Boston's Mysterious Vanishing Men". It's a great list of the (mostly young) men who have gone missing and ended up in the Charles/Atlantic shoreline in the past 16 years, although the guy seems a little too "THIS MEANS SOMETHING", especially when he goes as far to caution not wearing red if you are planning to go out alone at night in Boston. Interesting, nonetheless.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Add 'The Killer of Little Shepherds' to the book list. Great book about the birth of Forensic Science, the modern criminal investigation, and a French serial killer at the end of the 19th century.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Jisae posted:

A blog just compiled a list of disappearance cases, "Boston's Mysterious Vanishing Men". It's a great list of the (mostly young) men who have gone missing and ended up in the Charles/Atlantic shoreline in the past 16 years, although the guy seems a little too "THIS MEANS SOMETHING", especially when he goes as far to caution not wearing red if you are planning to go out alone at night in Boston. Interesting, nonetheless.

Yeah, it means something. It means young guys sometimes get drunk and fall into the water and drown. See also, every major city that has both rivers and harbors.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Jisae posted:

Wow. This is really unsettling. Somehow this person can make these ridiculously esoteric connections between the deaths of strangers years apart, but they can't make the even simpler connection of "(young men+bar= intoxicated)+ open bodies of water(night)=drowningMYSTERIOUS AND UNEXPLAINED DEATH"

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Chichevache posted:

Wow. This is really unsettling. Somehow this person can make these ridiculously esoteric connections between the deaths of strangers years apart, but they can't make the even simpler connection of "(young men+bar= intoxicated)+ open bodies of water(night)=drowningMYSTERIOUS AND UNEXPLAINED DEATH"

It's like those smiley face "murders" where young guys would disappear from college parties or bars and be found dead in water with smiley faces found on bridges or trees or whatever in the same vague vacinity. Like the most occams razor way to die for a young drunk dude near a waterway with one of the most common symbols in modern human history is some smoking gun that must mean a serial killer/group that spans multiple states

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Aesop Poprock posted:

It's like those smiley face "murders" where young guys would disappear from college parties or bars and be found dead in water with smiley faces found on bridges or trees or whatever in the same vague vacinity. Like the most occams razor way to die for a young drunk dude near a waterway with one of the most common symbols in modern human history is some smoking gun that must mean a serial killer/group that spans multiple states

Hhhmmmmmmm, yes, but you see, these men were all drowned in the same area (near water) at around the same time period (early 21st century) and they all had similar characteristics (possessed limbs, enjoyed eating, possible and/or known defecators, etc.).:eng99:

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
they had never fallen in a river and drowned before, it was completely out if character for them

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Grieving parents would rather be able to attach blame to a specific(even if unknown) person than have to live with the fact that sometimes horrifically tragic things happen for no other reason than bad luck or clumsiness. And when a person is found in the water and a definitive cause of death is impossible because they've been in there too long, that only helps support the family's belief that something more happened than a simple drowning.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

One of my buddies drowned when he was in his early 20's when he left a party super drunk once. His parents, to this day, blame all of us at the party for letting him leave and refuse to believe he just happened to fall into the freezing cold lake by mistake. Survivors guilt (would this qualify as that?) is a weird weird thing.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Jack Gladney posted:

There's kind of a twist at the end, though. They might just be insane with grief and not believe that anyone could be so cruel as to impersonate their dead son.

I saw The Impostor and yeah, it was a bit heavy-handed in basically accusing the family of either killing their kid or covering for someone else who did it. Who really knows what happened though, or if they'll ever find the kid or his remains.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Basebf555 posted:

Grieving parents would rather be able to attach blame to a specific(even if unknown) person than have to live with the fact that sometimes horrifically tragic things happen for no other reason than bad luck or clumsiness. And when a person is found in the water and a definitive cause of death is impossible because they've been in there too long, that only helps support the family's belief that something more happened than a simple drowning.

The person who wrote that poo poo article didn't mention being connected to any of the deceased. Was I not reading closely enough? :confused:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Chichevache posted:

The person who wrote that poo poo article didn't mention being connected to any of the deceased. Was I not reading closely enough? :confused:

Nah, I wasn't referring to the guy who wrote the article. But I've read interviews with parents of a few of these drowning victims and they understandably latch onto any sliver of a possibility that their son didn't just drunkenly slip and fall.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Chichevache posted:

Turns out that most journalists are hacks and will write any bullshit article if they think people will read it.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
One of these completely mysterious cases appears to have been solved.

Very sad. Also an accident.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
The "who's killing the world's microbiologists?" thing is pretty freaky, considering how violent most of those deaths are. But, no conspiracy. Extremely specific high-level, academic occupations are disproportionately targeted for murder, so what?

Do "they" want us to be defenseless against disease? :ohdear:

E: And tons of poo poo like, "his body was found naked, bruised, and crammed under a chair. His death was ruled a suicide"

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Harold Stassen posted:

The "who's killing the world's microbiologists?" thing is pretty freaky, considering how violent most of those deaths are. But, no conspiracy. Extremely specific high-level, academic occupations are disproportionately targeted for murder, so what?

Do "they" want us to be defenseless against disease? :ohdear:

E: And tons of poo poo like, "his body was found naked, bruised, and crammed under a chair. His death was ruled a suicide"

Clearly you fail to realize that a disproportionate number of suicides by pistol take 3-5 shots to the head to succeed. Similar kind of thing.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Basebf555 posted:

This is true. A few years ago, I was tangentially involved in a fatal car accident. I was in the area, attempted to rescue people, ultimately ended up helping only with body retrieval. Two of the three fatalities were (distant) acquaintances of mine. In the months after accident, I spoke to the parents of one of those acquaintances at length. I just wanted to tell them how sorry I was about what had happened. All they wanted was some shred of evidence that the emergency workers didn't get there fast enough or that they had screwed something up.
I did not argue with them. It was very obvious they were in deep grief and grasping for anything even remotely looking like a straw.

(Besides, it did not matter. Both of those victims were dead within seconds)

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
http://gawker.com/brooklyn-district-attorney-drops-charges-against-all-5-1761137121

Holly poo poo. No matter how you twist or turn this I just feel so, so bad for this young woman...

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It seems like there's something wrong with a system that can be so involved in that case and not be able to do anything to get her some kind of help for whatever underlying things are driving her behavior in addition to all the trauma she endured that the system also can't help.

Jisae
Oct 1, 2004

What a bargain!

AlbieQuirky posted:

Yeah, it means something. It means young guys sometimes get drunk and fall into the water and drown. See also, every major city that has both rivers and harbors.

Chichevache posted:

My exact thought. I'm sure you could look at a string of deaths that have happened in New York City, Chicago, any metropolitan area with water and restaurants/bars and claim a connection. I lived in Boston and know it is stupid easy to just walk up to the edge of the Charles. There are plenty of areas that are not well lit at all.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Sarcopenia posted:

http://gawker.com/brooklyn-district-attorney-drops-charges-against-all-5-1761137121

Holly poo poo. No matter how you twist or turn this I just feel so, so bad for this young woman...

Now that is hosed up.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Jisae posted:

especially when he goes as far to caution not wearing red if you are planning to go out alone at night in Boston.

It turns out that the Crips are actually Cryptids?

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Filmrise recently uploaded a bunch of Forensic Files episodes. I've been waiting to post a few of the more unnerving ones.

An upper class recluse murders his entire family in the early 70's and goes on the run for 18 years. He is caught with the help of a very talented Forensic artist.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_List
:nws:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRjZ9YhtTyQ:nws:

Two kids die in a suspicious house fire shortly after their mother goes missing. Decades later, the surviving daughter comes forward with the reason for the fire and her mom's disappearance.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76WBnLT386k

An old farmer employs a bunch of drifters to participate in a scam that involves buying cattle with bad checks. Whenever the cops try to track down the drifters, they are nowhere to be found.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_and_Faye_Copeland
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QLTEMYZoGs

Mentally slow deckhand escapes a sinking shrimp trawler while the captain gets his foot caught in some net and goes down with the ship. The deckhand later confesses that he killed the captain with a pipe for the last life jacket on board. It doesn't end there.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VUfJ2Qy7DI

Celery Face has a new favorite as of 07:14 on Feb 25, 2016

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Celery Face posted:

Filmrise recently uploaded a bunch of Forensic Files episodes. I've been waiting to post a few of the more unnerving ones.

Thanks for the videos. I'm always a sucker for forensic documentary style shows like the HBO autopsy series that's been posted on here before.

Speaking of, those videos you posted would be much better with Marlene Sanders (the narrator of the HBO series). Something about her voice makes what you're watching that much more unnerving.

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

Chichevache posted:

Note how just about all of them happened October through March; a fall into the river in July in 70 degree water might not get you, but 35 degree water in February sure will.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Jack Gladney posted:

It seems like there's something wrong with a system that can be so involved in that case and not be able to do anything to get her some kind of help for whatever underlying things are driving her behavior in addition to all the trauma she endured that the system also can't help.

It's not the system man, it was her own unwillingness to co-operate with the police.

quote:

But in the last of those interviews, on Feb. 18, the woman told prosecutors she was unwilling to go forward with the case.

At one point, she told investigators she “doesn’t do” court, the officials said.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

TotalLossBrain posted:

This is true. A few years ago, I was tangentially involved in a fatal car accident. I was in the area, attempted to rescue people, ultimately ended up helping only with body retrieval. Two of the three fatalities were (distant) acquaintances of mine. In the months after accident, I spoke to the parents of one of those acquaintances at length. I just wanted to tell them how sorry I was about what had happened. All they wanted was some shred of evidence that the emergency workers didn't get there fast enough or that they had screwed something up.
I did not argue with them. It was very obvious they were in deep grief and grasping for anything even remotely looking like a straw.

(Besides, it did not matter. Both of those victims were dead within seconds)

Grief is a hell of a thing, but the whole "finding someone at fault" mentality kills me. Especially nowadays with the abundance of frivolous lawsuits, I understand it's tough to lose a loved one but goddamn, wait until all the evidence is presented before jumping on emergency workers or assuming someone else hosed up. It's like the EMT version of tech support or help desk work - you fix someone's computer, something goes wrong a week later, and all of a sudden it's YOUR fault because YOU touched it last and must have broken it, no way the person could have screwed it up themselves, no sir.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
One of my friends had a boyfriend who died of stomach cancer, which is notoriously unsurvivable, and decided to blame socialized medicine altogether. Grieving people don't always make perfect sense.