Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

less laughter posted:

Also the shorthand for this installment will be S&M :pervert:

:vince:

mega gothitelle and mega serperior confirmed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

VaultAggie posted:

The original diamond and pearl had the slowest message speed ever. If you didn't have the battle animations off, battles took forever.

The movement speed was also rear end. God Gen IV is sooooooooo slooooooooooooooooooow

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Haifisch posted:

Every gen seems like that until it's old enough for nostalgia goggles. Just look at how Gen 3 went.

I don't think I ever liked gen 3 much, or at least Ruby/Sapphire. I mean, I liked it at the time because it was pokemon, but it didn't hit me the way Gen 2 did. Not being able to trade pokemon up, lots of old favorites missing / hard to obtain, the lack of day/night cycle was a little too much at once. Overall, if I had to lose an generation's pokemon, I'd lose gen 3s, theres a few cool ones in there, but overall it just has the smallest amount of ones I give a poo poo about. It probably did a lot of good stuff for the series in the long run but I just remember poo poo like abilities just being annoying because the ones my pokemon had never felt that useful, and I'd always get screwed over by enemy pokemon with levitate. :argh:

Somewhat ironically, while I hated gen 3 for not giving me access to many old pokemon, I loved B&W for pretty much doing the same. (But that's because B&W had way better variety if you ask me.)

I really hope they keep the momentum of B2&W2 and X&Y of having incredible pokemon variety even in the early game. Being able to craft a team of pokemon i like in the first third of the game is pretty rad and it's a nice departure of having lovely bench warming birds and bugs.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Raserys posted:

And yeah, the first two gens are pretty rough mechanics wise, but it feels almost unfair to compare them

i think looking at them and comparing them is good, cause we can see that Gamefreak has really grown in it's ability to make games since 1996

they laid an important groundwork for the games ahead of them and it's okay to appreciate that while still being able to say that they're not so good

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Haifisch posted:

Every gen seems like that until it's old enough for nostalgia goggles. Just look at how Gen 3 went.

I always liked Gen 3 the best. :colbert:

Oxyclean posted:

I don't think I ever liked gen 3 much, or at least Ruby/Sapphire. I mean, I liked it at the time because it was pokemon, but it didn't hit me the way Gen 2 did. Not being able to trade pokemon up, lots of old favorites missing / hard to obtain, the lack of day/night cycle was a little too much at once. Overall, if I had to lose an generation's pokemon, I'd lose gen 3s, theres a few cool ones in there, but overall it just has the smallest amount of ones I give a poo poo about. It probably did a lot of good stuff for the series in the long run but I just remember poo poo like abilities just being annoying because the ones my pokemon had never felt that useful, and I'd always get screwed over by enemy pokemon with levitate. :argh:

Somewhat ironically, while I hated gen 3 for not giving me access to many old pokemon, I loved B&W for pretty much doing the same. (But that's because B&W had way better variety if you ask me.)

You can pry Blaziken, Breloom, Mawile, and Sabeleye from my cold dead hands.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Guys guys. All Pokemon are good except Bidoof

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

mandatory lesbian posted:

lol gen 4 isnt anywhere near the worst in the series, i really think you guys have forgotton how terrible the first 2 gens are

I've been saying that for about a decade. Everyone else loves that poo poo.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Macaluso posted:

Guys guys. All Pokemon are good except Bidoof

Nah, Bidoof is pretty great for being terrible, he's like super iconic in his own dumb way, also a really good HM slave.

On the gen 4 topic: Gen 4 did have one of the worst most boring legendary trios.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Rudoku posted:

I'm still mystified that anyone thinks Kanto is interesting. All the routes are boring and samey, all the towns are boring and samey, and there's no reason to go back to any towns except the ones with the department store/game corner and the safari zone. And the safari zone is mostly because it's a pile of bullshit that takes forever until you can get a Chancey and a Kangaskhan. :argh:

Gen 2 sucks hard in its own way, but at least Johto has cooler stuff to look at.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I liked my time in Sinnoh a lot, but I don't think I could ever go back to those slow-rear end games.

Silver Falcon posted:

I always liked Gen 3 the best. :colbert:

That's cause gen III is the best. No game that came after it has run as well as them either.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Any word on when this Twitch Plays Pokemon hack of Crystal will be released to the general public?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I hope z comes out tomorrow

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Rudoku posted:

I agree with you and felt that Diamond/Pearl were underwhelming by Pokemon standards even at launch.

1) text/battle pace slow as gently caress
2) meh music
3) wild Pokemon variety blew
4) boring map
5) most of the new original Pokemon sucked (the much-needed evos for older generations were great, though)

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Oxyclean posted:

I really hope they keep the momentum of B2&W2 and X&Y of having incredible pokemon variety even in the early game. Being able to craft a team of pokemon i like in the first third of the game is pretty rad and it's a nice departure of having lovely bench warming birds and bugs.

In contrast, I put so many hours on my Sapphire save that I broke the clock. :v: But that was more of it being a good enough game for me to get absorbed into, not that it was ~the best pokemon game~

I can kind of see what they're going for with the early route pokemon: You start off as a young, inexperienced trainer who is learning how to work with birds, bugs and small animals. Then as you progress you become a stronger trainer who can control all sorts of creatures and you upgrade your team as you go along.

The problem is, that's boring especially if you've played any Pokemon games before. I want a variety of types and pokemon! I agree that B2/W2 and X/Y handled it best by having the usual suspects (Lillipup, Purrloin, Rattata, Pidgey, etc.) mixed in with more powerful or at least interesting pokemon. (Magnemite, Fletchling, Riolu and so on.) They had something similar in Gen IV, though it didn't go as well; consider Starly (which turned out to be an awesome bird) compared to Shinx (who turned out to be garbage).

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Cuckoo posted:

5) most of the new original Pokemon sucked (the much-needed evos for older generations were great, though)

Speaking of which, I hope we some new evos for old pokemon this gen. Outside of like... Sylveon, we didn't really get any for Gen 5 and 6, did we? Or have megas kinda replaced that sort of thing?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Mega Snorlax or I riot

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Oxyclean posted:

On the gen 4 topic: Gen 4 did have one of the worst most boring legendary trios.

Yeah people complain about the genies being palette swaps but the pixies are way worse in that regard. All boring mono-Psychic types only with different heads.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

If we're talking about black sheep still, I thought it was Gen V that was the least well regarded. I love the games, but the gen itself seemed shorter than the others, like they only made them to hold over until gen VI.

(Though if that's the case then they shouldn't have made VI so underwhelming...)

Oxyclean posted:

Speaking of which, I hope we some new evos for old pokemon this gen. Outside of like... Sylveon, we didn't really get any for Gen 5 and 6, did we? Or have megas kinda replaced that sort of thing?

I hope not, because I hated almost all of them. They felt really lazy looked bad. Kind of want them to be a gen VI thing that none of the others touch.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Platinum was the best. You got a sweet house with a magikarp pond.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Cuckoo posted:

I agree with you and felt that Diamond/Pearl were underwhelming by Pokemon standards even at launch.

1) text/battle pace slow as gently caress
2) meh music
3) wild Pokemon variety blew
4) boring map

I can't believe I tolerated all that as a kid when the game came out. Though I like a lot of the original Sinnoh designs, I think the region's cities and caves were dull and the whole place just had an air of sadness and darkness to it. HG/SS always seemed much "happier" in comparison.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
I forgot about the villa, yet another thing lost in the transition between gens

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Momomo posted:

(Though if that's the case then they shouldn't have made VI so underwhelming...)

what are you on about, X and Y are anything but underwhelming

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

less laughter posted:

Yeah people complain about the genies being palette swaps but the pixies are way worse in that regard. All boring mono-Psychic types only with different heads.

The Pixies sucked and while not as samey as the genies they could still be sort of called Mew palette swaps. Color Mew grey, give it two tails, then glue three different-colored things on its head. New Legendaries! :downs:

I don't know how Gen V could be poorly regarded. Its story tries a bit too hard sometimes but it's still WAY better than Gen III or IV's story. The Pokemon variety was awesome, the gyms were at least a little harder than usual (that loving Emolga), the music was great and the new Pokemon designs were mostly pretty good. Also, BW2 were both really interesting and the continuation of BW's story gave one a reason to buy the game instead of waiting for the next gen.

Alxprit posted:

I can't believe I tolerated all that as a kid when the game came out. Though I like a lot of the original Sinnoh designs, I think the region's cities and caves were dull and the whole place just had an air of sadness and darkness to it. HG/SS always seemed much "happier" in comparison.

Back in my day we had to walk up and down the routes both ways in 8 bits without a bike! :corsair: Yeah, in contrast to DP HGSS were awesome and a fitting remake to Gen II.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Raserys posted:

I forgot about the villa, yet another thing lost in the transition between gens

I'd love the villa to return and be expanded. Include things like a machine to check IV's, a nanny (for in house daycare!), and berry growing.

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

For me, at the time Gen III underwhelmed, and Fire Red/Leaf Green made me turn away from the series for a while—I wanted an exact reproduction of the experience of playing the original Red and Blue with better graphics, and stuff like the Teachy TV and Oak butting into the first rival battle to tell me how HP bars work felt like I was being singled out for ridicule at having the insolence to remain a fan at a time in my life when I really didn't need that kind of grief from my leisure activities.

In retrospect Gen III occupies this wonderful middle ground where all the technical limitations of the old games have evaporated, but they haven't started loading the game with the brand new technical limitations 3D introduces. As a result, Hoenn feels so much more open than other regions because of how few gatehouses there are between separate maps.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

mandatory lesbian posted:

what are you on about, X and Y are anything but underwhelming

Very pretty new battle system, but the region itself just didn't do it for me. It didn't help that the storyline has you married to your four friends, and Team Flare had like nothing going for it. Can't really recall any of the towns, and I barely remember the gym leaders.

Also the dress up system would have been nice, but I was a male character so

edit: The game also chugs during the battles. That isn't much fun when it happens.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Kalos was the first region to have interesting caves. It's particularly jarring going back to Hoenn afterward, where all the caves are the same.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
At this point I basically need there to be a hard mode or I'll probably skip this. We got triple, inverted and rotation battles, put them in! I had a blast going through Y as this huge victory lap with 22 pokemon in rotation, but I just can't keep going without a challenge anymore.

Anyways right now i'm fully expecting S&M to basically be X2 and Y2

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Kalos is probably my favorite region aside from Sinnoh, it's such a bright, colourful and, well, beautiful region.

I do feel like Fr/Lg are some of the worst games in the series... they're so boring! RBY were kinda fun cause they were broken and glitchy in all kinds of batshit ways. But Fr/Lg is just really tame and uninteresting, espeically when compared to the vibrant and tropical Hoenn.

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

Please do add a hard mode, please do not use gimmick battles as a substitute for challenging gameplay.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I feel like if they were X2 and Y2, they'd have X and Y somewhere in their names.

Hoenn is still my favorite region, looks wise. I still remember walking into Route 119 and Fortree City for the first time.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

hopeandjoy posted:

I feel like if they were X2 and Y2, they'd have X and Y somewhere in their names.
Pokemon X² and Y². Or maybe Pokemon 2X and 2Y.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Crosscontaminant posted:

Please do add a hard mode, please do not use gimmick battles as a substitute for challenging gameplay.

I still have to wonder who the hell came up with the BW2 method for hard mode.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Crosscontaminant posted:

For me, at the time Gen III underwhelmed, and Fire Red/Leaf Green made me turn away from the series for a while—I wanted an exact reproduction of the experience of playing the original Red and Blue with better graphics, and stuff like the Teachy TV and Oak butting into the first rival battle to tell me how HP bars work felt like I was being singled out for ridicule at having the insolence to remain a fan at a time in my life when I really didn't need that kind of grief from my leisure activities.

I guess I've blocked the tutorial from FR/LG stuff out of my mind - I definitely liked it a lot more then R/S because it was familiar territory with a fresh coat of paint and a lot of stuff to make it feel much more polished. I honestly have zero interest in the upcoming VC R/B/Y because I feel like those games are just going to feel more dated then nostalgic.

Crosscontaminant posted:

In retrospect Gen III occupies this wonderful middle ground where all the technical limitations of the old games have evaporated, but they haven't started loading the game with the brand new technical limitations 3D introduces. As a result, Hoenn feels so much more open than other regions because of how few gatehouses there are between separate maps.

I guess I don't give that game enough credit sometimes, on the other hand, that openness did nothing to help the later game water routes from feeling like a painful boring slog. Maybe I'm just being too harsh on the memory and it's nowhere as bad as I think it is.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Momomo posted:

Very pretty new battle system, but the region itself just didn't do it for me. It didn't help that the storyline has you married to your four friends, and Team Flare had like nothing going for it. Can't really recall any of the towns, and I barely remember the gym leaders.

Also the dress up system would have been nice, but I was a male character so

edit: The game also chugs during the battles. That isn't much fun when it happens.

Gonna have to admit that I agree with you here. I don't remember any of the friends' names, I don't remember the gym leaders or towns either, the E4 is forgettable... the pokemon and some of the other locations were great though. And they were trying new things with that weird first-person-ish cave exploration thing.

Paul.Power posted:

Pokemon X² and Y². Or maybe Pokemon 2X and 2Y.

dX and dY :haw:

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

At this point I basically need there to be a hard mode or I'll probably skip this. We got triple, inverted and rotation battles, put them in! I had a blast going through Y as this huge victory lap with 22 pokemon in rotation, but I just can't keep going without a challenge anymore.

Anyways right now i'm fully expecting S&M to basically be X2 and Y2

Reminder that in Black 2 and White 2 they actually had normal trainers all throughout the game just randomly be Triple and Rotation battlers. I dunno why Game Freak are so allergic to having normal trainers do non-single battle modes lately.

EDIT: Also remembering how many Double Battles there were in Emerald with two trainers seeing you at once, and how they also slapped that into Platinum as well. Sure, you could talk to them to fight them both one at a time, but with how EXP works in this newest generation it'd be more efficient and probably more fun to do Doubles.

Alxprit fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Feb 25, 2016

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Solumin posted:

dX and dY :haw:

Been campaigning for this since X and Y were announced.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Crosscontaminant posted:

Not as substitute but rather to just enhance stuff, like I remember the first triple battle in BW being pretty harsh, and just the prospect of having trainers out there with a strategy ready for gimmick battles while you're still building up your team, with limited access to moves for those battles, gives you a good legit disadvantage that's cool.

Just totally higher levels across the board for trainers, better AI and the gimmick battles sprinkled throughout so you're always on your toes. My ideal scenario is that you're about to finish a route, you only got two healthy mons left and there's one last trainer, you're ready because you got a mon that's strong against the general type you've encountered and bam it's a loving double battle so you gotta use two mons you never really used together while this dude's designed to have his mons work in harmony with, like, a flying mon and something with earthquake ready.

Alxprit posted:

Reminder that in Black 2 and White 2 they actually had normal trainers all throughout the game just randomly be Triple and Rotation battlers. I dunno why Game Freak are so allergic to having normal trainers do non-single battle modes lately.

How often was that? I keep remembering as just two or three dudes.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

I remember Tierno. I liked his gimmick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Not as substitute but rather to just enhance stuff, like I remember the first triple battle in BW being pretty harsh, and just the prospect of having trainers out there with a strategy ready for gimmick battles while you're still building up your team, with limited access to moves for those battles, gives you a good legit disadvantage that's cool.

Just totally higher levels across the board for trainers, better AI and the gimmick battles sprinkled throughout so you're always on your toes. My ideal scenario is that you're about to finish a route, you only got two healthy mons left and there's one last trainer, you're ready because you got a mon that's strong against the general type you've encountered and bam it's a loving double battle so you gotta use two mons you never really used together while this dude's designed to have his mons work in harmony with, like, a flying mon and something with earthquake ready.
Why do people want these games to be a slog. There's nothing more annoying than having to crawl back through all the wild Pokemon after blacking out in a middle of a route. I remember dreading that Cool/Ace Trainer in Gen 3 with the Mitolic because that hung could sweep my team and was annoying as hell.

As for XY, I remember Calem, who is literally always eating your dust. He's just as pathetic as Brendan is.

• Locked thread