Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
You can choose between a new rule for the february thread! What will it be?
This poll is closed.
Don't diss the Creativision. Also "Cretinvision" will get wordfiltered to "I am an rear end in a top hat" 22 10.19%
If you talk about Papyrus you will need to refer him as Mr. Papyrus, unless the author changes the pronoun. 70 32.41%
Everyone who posts in pages before the third and after the second has to write I love videogames at least once and never talk about ponies. 77 35.65%
Do not attach pools to the thread. Pools divide the community in fatties and sportys and they are highly triggering. 47 21.76%
Total: 216 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Ciaphas posted:

Your image is broken because I'm at work, can I reasonably assume I've been taint reaped

None of the atelier games are on the pc nor are they coming to the PC.

PSTV is your best option to play them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Bad translations are better than good translations of mediocre writing, as clearly evidenced by Japanese videogames in the 90s.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Ciaphas posted:

Your image is broken because I'm at work, can I reasonably assume I've been taint reaped

not really b/c "buy a pstv" is good advice if you like jrpgs.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
The PSTV is smaller than your wallet and only costs 30-40 bucks.

like really the entry barrier is ungodly low that it's not even worth your time waiting for Vita exclusives to be ported. The Playstation controller that you use for the vita is larger than the whole system itself.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Ah didn't see the PSTV edits

I actually have one at home buried somewhere in the remaining moving boxes I think, I'll have to dig that out and maybe get some use out of it. I remember buying it to play P4G, starting it, then thinking 'wait I don't actually want to play P4G right now'

I've been looking for a chill RPG to play and for whatever reason RF4 isn't seeming to quite do it--that might just be because whenever I have my 3DS in hand I think to myself "I want to hunt another gore magala in MH4U", now that I reflect on it

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

gonna buy ayesha later. how is the previous trilogy though?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I don't understand what a PSTV is. Is it a console? where do the games come from and what attaches to it?

edit: I mean obviously I could google this, but this thread is pretty happy to keep telling people to buy them, so I thought I would air my ignorance here...

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Snak posted:

I don't understand what a PSTV is. Is it a console? where do the games come from and what attaches to it?

its a vita for your tv so they come from the same place all vita games come from

the problem is some games won't work on it, usually because they require lots of touchscreen stuff or because they're made by konami. fortunately all the jrpgs work and it gets ps3 ports of stuff so it's a great budget jrpg machine if you don't wanna buy a ps3 or ps4

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

The Taint Reaper posted:

Persona 4 is translation perfection and all other games should be modeled after it.
Aside from the unneeded honorifics, yeah it is.

Ekster posted:

Bad translations are better than good translations of mediocre writing, as clearly evidenced by Japanese videogames in the 90s.
Ted Woolsey was the man.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Snak posted:

edit: I mean obviously I could google this, but this thread is pretty happy to keep telling people to buy them, so I thought I would air my ignorance here...

It's a Vita in console form more or less, with all that that implies--lots of game ports, IIRC

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Now that I think about it doesn't Vita have a Monster Hunter-like that was supposed to be really really good??

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

corn in the bible posted:

its a vita for your tv so they come from the same place all vita games come from

the problem is some games won't work on it, usually because they require lots of touchscreen stuff or because they're made by konami

touchscreen stuff is no longer an issue you mash down on the analog sticks and it pops up a digital finger that emulates the touch screen.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur

Atelier Escha Logy is really good and Im gonna buy Ayesha later

I love the alchemy mechanic but I only played mana khemia, so many hours in the lab

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

The Taint Reaper posted:

touchscreen stuff is no longer an issue you mash down on the analog sticks and it pops up a digital finger that emulates the touch screen.

there's still a blacklist though and they patched the hack that disabled it so no matter whether it would be playable you can't get it to run some things

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Atelier Escha Logy is really good and Im gonna buy Ayesha later

I remember wanting to buy Ayesha because I read part of the LP and the music was really loving good; I'm a sucker for good vidya game music

There was a track with the name "Undine" in it, someone link that from youtube please

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

there's still a blacklist though and they patched the hack that disabled it so no matter whether it would be playable you can't get it to run some things

I think gravity rush and terraway are the only big name black list games, but those have remastered/goty editions on the PS4 which contain all DLC and such along with superior visuals. Ys still works on the PSTV as does all other Falcom games.

also best Ayesha music:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVcc16o0SaY

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur

Ciaphas posted:

Are any of those Atelier games on PC?

you can play mana khemia 1 and 2 on the ppsspp emulator

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

trying to read and talk about games from a proxied work computer and not having your phone is loving butts I tell you what

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Cool.

Oh hey, Gravity Rush came out for ps4.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

The Taint Reaper posted:

I think gravity rush and terraway are the only big name black list games, but those have remastered/goty editions on the PS4 which contain all DLC and such along with superior visuals. Ys still works on the PSTV as does all other Falcom games.
yeah, they finally added ys a few months ago, which is good. the things i'm thinking of is most of the hd collections they put out, like jak and daxter trilogy, are blacklisted for literally no reason. yeah theyd look better on the ps3 release but i aint got a ps3

ffx/x-2 works though at least

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Snak posted:

Cool.

Oh hey, Gravity Rush came out for ps4.

Yeah it's an Amazon.com exclusive though for the physical release.

I went into a gamestop and they were quite confused when i asked for it.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Ciaphas posted:

Now that I think about it doesn't Vita have a Monster Hunter-like that was supposed to be really really good??

Freedom Wars or Soul Sacrifice Delta? I am liking Freedom Wars, I don't like SSD because I am a dumb babby who does not want to murder digital representation of kitties. :smith:

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Ciaphas posted:

trying to read and talk about games from a proxied work computer and not having your phone is loving butts I tell you what

Worked at a media company that killed gaming sites but neither Facebook nor SA, :lol:.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYLzWDGPlIs

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

limaCAT posted:

Freedom Wars or Soul Sacrifice Delta? I am liking Freedom Wars, I don't like SSD because I am a dumb babby who does not want to murder digital representation of kitties. :smith:

I don't think so. Think it had God in the name. I just asked in the Vita thread, we'll see if I'm just misremembering

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

The Taint Reaper posted:

Yeah it's an Amazon.com exclusive though for the physical release.

I went into a gamestop and they were quite confused when i asked for it.

What? Why?

edit: I'm too lazy to go downstairs, so I went to the playstation store website. God it's horrible. Gravity Rush Remastered is not one of the to 5 search results for "Gravity Rush".

Snak fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Feb 25, 2016

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

limaCAT posted:

Worked at a media company that killed gaming sites but neither Facebook nor SA, :lol:.

what's weird is depending on which 'net machine I sit at there's one of two different proxies; one blocks SA and the other doesn't

I've given up on trying to understand our network folks

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Snak posted:

What? Why?

Because I can have something in 15 minutes instead of waiting for it to ship and I had coupons.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

I don't think so. Think it had God in the name. I just asked in the Vita thread, we'll see if I'm just misremembering

God Eater is the series you're thinking of.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

You're thinking of God Eater 2 which is coming out sometime this year

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ciaphas posted:

God Eater Burst/2, they aren't out in the west until later this year.

Toukiden is the best MH like on Vita atm

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Ciaphas posted:

what's weird is depending on which 'net machine I sit at there's one of two different proxies; one blocks SA and the other doesn't

I've given up on trying to understand our network folks

My work network blocks everything on siliconera except the first page for some reason

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
My favorite thing I learned from Tomato's translation site is that the Frankenstein monster with a horse's weiner in Disgaea was something that was in the original text and not just the translators being cheeky.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I'm sort of worn out on giant, modern games full of millions of collectibles, rpg mechanics, and icon-filled open worlds (just 95%'d Far Cry 4 for context) so I've started playing Descent for the first time. It's fun! :)

Anyway, that's my story, Namaste and thanks for reading.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
You should try adventure games, its where all the cool stuff is happening.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I tried playing Lords of the Fallen in an attempt to tide myself over til DS3 and woo boy :stonklol: stiiiinker

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

I tried playing Lords of the Fallen in an attempt to tide myself over til DS3 and woo boy :stonklol: stiiiinker

I keep waiting till it's dirt cheap but I don't think it's even worth it at 5 bucks from what I've heard.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Ekster posted:

I keep waiting till it's dirt cheap but I don't think it's even worth it at 5 bucks from what I've heard.

It's loving rotten, it's not worth anything

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It's really not. I played it. I beat it. It's decent early, but instead of getting better, it gets worse. The final boss fight is the most boring and making GBS threads fight in the entire game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Snak posted:

It's really not. I played it. I beat it. It's decent early, but instead of getting better, it gets worse. The final boss fight is the most boring and making GBS threads fight in the entire game.

lol I saw that. What an embarassing way to end your action game

• Locked thread