Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Cuckoo posted:

A Gold and Silver V 2.0 would be loving awesome. I always liked Johto and felt more of a 'connection' to it than all of the other Pokemon countries, and I think it being "related" to Kanto helped that fact. The newer places all just feel so separate and isolated.

Yeah, a lot of people point out how empty and ultimately kinda hollow Kanto is in G/S but it was still just the fact it was there and felt connected that made it so cool. It was effectively post game content since I don't remember Johto being particularly short (although it did have some pacing issues) - it also made the E4 rematch way sweeter since it felt like a proper build up rather then them suddenly being stronger. On another note, Silver Mountain and fight against Red will be one of my fondest Pokemon memories, the silence in the area before and kick into that battle theme is just so rad.

My dream pokemon game is one that just connects all the regions together, or at least gens 1-4 since all those regions are supposed to represent parts of Japan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

EDIT ^^^ Yeah GS Kanto was very barebones but wasn't a big part of that (besides dev time I'm sure) Gameboy's memory limit? Like besides wanting to get more money for the original game, I don't see why they can't at least throw a good portion of 100% complete Kalos in now that it's already been designed and stuff. Even bits and pieces of it fully fleshed out would be better than a weird hollow/empty version of the entire thing like we got with Gen II Kanto.

CJ posted:

It's sort of how the pokemon minigame in WoW works. If your pokemon die the battle ends, and you can push a button with a 5 or 10 minute cooldown to full heal your pokemon or use a consumable if you're dumb and bad and lost twice in a row.

Honestly I kind of hate WoW's battle pet system because punishment-by-timer feels like a freemium cellphone game gimmick. Granted WoW's pet system is a throwaway minigame in an MMO meant to keep you entertained between patches and that's it, so it works there. If Pokemon had that as a main game mechanic I'd be so turned off.

Mr. Creakle fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Feb 25, 2016

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Cuckoo posted:

Honestly I kind of hate WoW's battle pet system because punishment-by-timer feels like a freemium cellphone game gimmick. Granted WoW's pet system is a throwaway minigame in an MMO meant to keep you entertained between patches and that's it, so it works there. If Pokemon had that as a main game mechanic I'd be so turned off.

The cooldown was only 2 or 3 minutes if I remember right. , but you could always just go to an NPC and have your pets healed for nearly free. Mildly inconvenient, but you could get to a point where you were nearly swimming in the healing items.

What I didn't really like about the WoW pet battle system is the harder stuff kinda relied a bit too much on "strategy" and powerful combos then just having type advantage. Good for pvp battles, kinda unfun for pve battles where it's easier to just look up a guide.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Cuckoo posted:

EDIT ^^^ Yeah GS Kanto was very barebones but wasn't a big part of that (besides dev time I'm sure) Gameboy's memory limit? Like besides wanting to get more money for the original game, I don't see why they can't at least throw a good portion of 100% complete Kalos in now that it's already been designed and stuff. Even bits and pieces of it fully fleshed out would be better than a weird hollow/empty version of the entire thing like we got with Gen II Kanto.

Yes, the problem was cartridge size. If Iwata hadn't compressed everything as masterfully as he did, they wouldn't have been able to do it on time even with the cuts.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Cuckoo posted:

Yeah, i don't like the cooldown either which is why i said in my hypothetical game it would just be an automatic full heal and the punishment for losing would be you lose the chance to catch the pokemon or you have to do the battle again to progress. In practice though, the WoW thing refreshes fast enough and you use a large variety of pokemon so it ends up being a lot less punishing than if you lose or have to go heal in the Pokemon games. I end up just using save states between battles though so it plays out much the same way as i described.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Spectacle Rock posted:

We get the original Red, Blue, and Yellow tomorrow.

I know it is a long shot, but I really want them to announce a "one-way-transfer-system" so we can take the Pokemon we catch in those games and send them to the future (current generation).

Don't tell me it can't be done. Just map the IV stats from 0 to 15 to 0 to 31. Also, randomly and/or systematically assign a nature and some other information and it could royally be done.

Please do this Nintendo. I never liked the impassible rift between Gen 2 and Gen 3.

Here's the Sun, Moon, and the inevitable Star/Meteor/Earth/Planet/Comet version.

edit: Will we finally get Mega Meganium?

It's not just IVs, but also EVs. There's not a hard limit on them so you can max EVs in each stat, which would make some Pokemon have impossible to translate stats. Not to mention all the other internal values in new Pokemon games like gender and nature. It's impossible.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

hopeandjoy posted:

Yes, the problem was cartridge size. If Iwata hadn't compressed everything as masterfully as he did, they wouldn't have been able to do it on time even with the cuts.

I thought the story was Kanto was *added* because of the free space left from the compression?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

yeah iwata was a data Wizard and they had so much space left they said hey what about some kanto too as a bonus

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Save states are cool too. I don't know, haven't whited out in the Pokemon overworld (not counting gyms/E4) since like Gen IV and the reason is I just load up on potions/revives and hoard them like Pokemon is any second suddenly going to turn into an old CPRG and launch bullshit traps. I may never have to worry about it but...uh...better just buy some more revives :tinfoil:

Oxyclean posted:

What I didn't really like about the WoW pet battle system is the harder stuff kinda relied a bit too much on "strategy" and powerful combos then just having type advantage. Good for pvp battles, kinda unfun for pve battles where it's easier to just look up a guide.

See this is actually what I wish Pokemon would have, even as some kind of postgame challenge mode or something. 99% of the fun in competive Pokemon metagaming is strategizing and predicting, sometimes 2 or more moves ahead of your opponent. It's like anime monster kid's game chess. That's really cool and is pretty much the only thing that keeps me interested in the franchise long after a particular generation's content has been exhausted. It would also theoretically throw a bone to the adults who have played what has essentially been an RBY reskin for 2 decades and know what to expect out of the easy baby version. It may only be found in other players, but Pokemon can be very challenging.

Unfortunately the AI may just not be good enough to do that because every time a postgame pokemon challenge has legitimately hard trainers "hard" is codeword for "total bullshit" like Sheer Cold somehow hitting 90% of the time and stuff.

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013

mabels big day posted:

It's not just IVs, but also EVs. There's not a hard limit on them so you can max EVs in each stat, which would make some Pokemon have impossible to translate stats. Not to mention all the other internal values in new Pokemon games like gender and nature. It's impossible.

Not impossible. You'd just have to write software to assign/scale the proper values.

For anything too complicated pull the "park system" they did between Gen 3 and 4.

Make a one-way transfer system that sends your Gen 1 Pokemon to Gen 6. In Gen 1 your Pokemon is erased. In Gen 6, you then go to some area with grass and that is where you will encounter the Pokemon you sent forward. Here the game will now randomly assign values such as natures. EV are set back to zero. The Pokemon's moves and level and if they are shiny or not and their IVs (scaled to 0 to 31) are preserved.

Also, we had gender informally in Gen 1, it was determined by the defense IV. That's how we were able to send Pokemon from Gen 1 to 2 and vice-versa and gender was remembered.

So, it can royally be done but it'd take effort on Nintendo's part.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Oxyclean posted:

I thought the story was Kanto was *added* because of the free space left from the compression?

oddium posted:

yeah iwata was a data Wizard and they had so much space left they said hey what about some kanto too as a bonus

Woops, or that story. I think 3DS carts go up to 5GB and XY did not reach that? Don't quote me on that though. Especially, you know, considering.

Spectacle Rock posted:

Also, we had gender informally in Gen 1, it was determined by the defense IV. That's how we were able to send Pokemon from Gen 1 to 2 and vice-versa and gender was remembered.

I'm pretty sure it was determined by the Attack DV like with Pokemon originating in Gen 2.

hopeandjoy fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Feb 25, 2016

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

hopeandjoy posted:

I think 3DS carts go up to 5GB and XY did not reach that?

1-8, according to Wikipedia. XY was somewhere around 2gb, I think?

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Poke-Germany, and then you take a train to Poke-France for the postgame.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

The White Dragon posted:

1-8, according to Wikipedia. XY was somewhere around 2gb, I think?

X and Y are 1.7 GB, OR and AS are 1.8 GB.

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride

Pyroi posted:

Poke-Germany, and then you take a train to Poke-France for the postgame.

Poke Germany would have the worst evil team to date. :hitler:

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

hopeandjoy posted:

I'm pretty sure it was determined by the Attack DV like with Pokemon originating in Gen 2.

Best to just quote myself since I've just written about it, it's a slight clusterfuck that is pretty ingenious, considering the limited space they had to work with.

"DVs also determine whether or not a Pokemon is Shiny, literally. If a Pokemon's Speed, Defense, and Special DVs are all 10, and its Attack DV is 2, 3, 6, 7, 10, 11, 14 or 15, it will be Shiny. So in this way a Shiny Pokemon's HP DV can only be either 0, or 8. And due to DVs being passed down via Breeding (more on that later), the chance of the offspring being shiny is 1/64. In this way, some specific combinations of Pokemon cannot be Shiny, since gender is determined using the Attack IV, so female Pokemon of a species that have a gender ratio of seven males to one female, can never be shiny, due to females being determined using the lower half of the DV range."

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Spectacle Rock posted:

Not impossible. You'd just have to write software to assign/scale the proper values.

For anything too complicated pull the "park system" they did between Gen 3 and 4.

Make a one-way transfer system that sends your Gen 1 Pokemon to Gen 6. In Gen 1 your Pokemon is erased. In Gen 6, you then go to some area with grass and that is where you will encounter the Pokemon you sent forward. Here the game will now randomly assign values such as natures. EV are set back to zero. The Pokemon's moves and level and if they are shiny or not and their IVs (scaled to 0 to 31) are preserved.

So, it can royally be done but it'd take effort on Nintendo's part.

Yes, it's doable, but not without having to make so many arbitrary decisions that you're barely transferring the old pokemon over, you're really just using it as a random seed to generate a new pokemon of the same species and level. At that point, why bother? All the pokemon are available in the newer games anyway.

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.

Jarogue posted:

Comfirmed 3rd game will be Eclipse

Or Stars.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Solumin posted:

Yes, it's doable, but not without having to make so many arbitrary decisions that you're barely transferring the old pokemon over, you're really just using it as a random seed to generate a new pokemon of the same species and level. At that point, why bother? All the pokemon are available in the newer games anyway.

And besides, Pokémon are just interchangeable tools and weapons for traveling and battling, not friends or pets one should grow attached to.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Solumin posted:

Sentimental value?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

CJ posted:

Sentimental value?

For the equivalent of a pair of scissors or a tennis racket?

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Filthy Haiku posted:

Poke Germany would have the worst evil team to date. :hitler:

The leader of Team Germany being a comically inept and evil totally-not-Hitler who took the "Strong Pokemon. Weak Pokemon" speech to the extreme and imposed Smogon-like restrictions on his goons would be loving hilarious. Probably too dark/meta for the game's storyline though :v:

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
Now I want to see pokenazis goose stepping through lumiose city.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Elblanco posted:

Now I want to see pokenazis goose stepping through lumiose city.

You mean Farfetch'd-stepping.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Oxyclean posted:

I've seen some people speculate on stuff like the big Sundial in Kalos. I also remember a rail station in a town on the eastern edge of the map that didn't really serve a purpose? Seen a bunch of people speculating that maybe Sun and Moon will be the Gold and Silver of X&Y. (The logos are even gold and silverish, and thinking about it now, Ho-oh was sun based and Luigia was kinda moon/night-ish?)

We still haven't gotten into that power plant.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
I want a Team to make more artificial Pokemon. Have them be obsessed with engineering newer, stronger battlers and give their grunts things like Electrode of Porygon as man-made species (Koffing or Muk if Poison absolutely must be involved). Let their goal be creating something like Mewtwo, but Poison typed.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Geostomp posted:

I want a Team to make more artificial Pokemon. Have them be obsessed with engineering newer, stronger battlers and give their grunts things like Electrode of Porygon as man-made species (Koffing or Muk if Poison absolutely must be involved). Let their goal be creating something like Mewtwo, but Poison typed.

Genesect's Pokédex entries posted:

This ancient bug Pokémon was altered by Team Plasma. They upgraded the cannon on its back.

This Pokémon existed 300 million years ago. Team Plasma altered it and attached a cannon to its back.

Stalgren
Mar 22, 2006

Charizard Go!
So any indication sun and moon is fake? Seems weird they would skip Z

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

CJ posted:

Sentimental value?

That was kind of my point, but I didn't state it well. You wouldn't be getting the same pokemon out of the process that you put in -- you'd lose the sentimental value anyway.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Solumin posted:

That was kind of my point, but I didn't state it well. You wouldn't be getting the same pokemon out of the process that you put in -- you'd lose the sentimental value anyway.

It would carry over its level, moves and base stats which is enough for it to be worth it.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Stalgren posted:

So any indication sun and moon is fake? Seems weird they would skip Z
Depends how you're defining "fake."

Straight-up hoax? Almost guaranteed not; pokemon-sun.com, pokemon-moon.com, and pokemon-sunmoon.com all redirect to pokemon.com, and the trademarks have been registered complete with logos.

False information intentionally leaked by Nintendo to throw us off? Possible. Nintendo's registered a bunch of domain names for pokemon games in the past that they never intended to release. However, someone upthread mentioned that they almost never actually go to the trouble of making logos for placeholder ones like that.

So, overall, I'd say it's more likely than not to be true, but who knows if they're coming out any time soon. There could still be plenty of time for Z in between, or even Z at the same time.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

It's also possible that Pokemon Sun and Pokemon Moon are basically like Black 2 and White 2, they just didn't want to call them X2 and Y2 for whatever reason

But honestly it seems more like a full on new generation to me.

we'll know tomorrow

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Its been 15 years. Your old pokemon are dead, unless you have Stadium 1 or 2.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
pick your side

Stalgren
Mar 22, 2006

Charizard Go!
I havent even started omega ruby yet :saddowns:

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Well it won't be coming out until later this year anyway, so you've still got plenty of time.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Well, there were 2 and a half years between BW and XY, and it's been 2 and a half years since XY released. Combined with the fact there was no mainline game in 2015, giving them time to work, it's not so improbable it could be time for Gen 7.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

hopeandjoy posted:

Well, there were 2 and a half years between BW and XY, and it's been 2 and a half years since XY released. Combined with the fact there was no mainline game in 2015, giving them time to work, it's not so improbable it could be time for Gen 7.

It is improbable in the sense that they have never before had a gen without a third version/sequel. Not once. Gen I had Yellow, II had Crystal, III had Emerald, IV had Platinum, and V had B2W2. Why would gen VI be the first that only has the initial installment without the traditional true director's cut?

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

less laughter posted:

It is improbable in the sense that they have never before had a gen without a third version/sequel. Not once. Gen I had Yellow, II had Crystal, III had Emerald, IV had Platinum, and V had B2W2. Why would gen VI be the first that only has the initial installment without the traditional true director's cut?

Gen 5 didn't have remakes despite everyone expecting them. It's not the first time Game Freak didn't exactly follow expectations.

They might also think that a new gen would be more exciting for the anniversary and thus sell more copies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

hopeandjoy posted:

Gen 5 didn't have remakes despite everyone expecting them. It's not the first time Game Freak didn't exactly follow expectations.

True, but Gen V still had B2W2 which were part sequel and part the third version to B&W, taking place in the same region and including move tutors and such. Sun and Moon could well be that to XY, instead of jumping straight to gen VII.

less laughter fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Feb 26, 2016

• Locked thread