Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
For such a pivotal episode it sure was a mess.

The direction was either done by some new guy who can't make the action seem interesting or un-choreographed if a gun was to their head or by somebody competent but beyond hung over and burned out. The CG for the heroes departing and arriving atrocious.

The plotting just miserable. Vixen is the worst inclusion of character exposition since Team Flash showed up BEFORE the Flash;s 1st season (though there was enough good will to earn patience and be rewarded with such fan trust) and the worst female character to be added since Huntress. Basically everybody knows Oliver Queen and gently caress off with carefully crafted world building because now we've got CGI, bullet points and meta-humans.

The island backstory, which I've managed to defend even at its lowest point, is working against itself, showing us how heroic Oliver is instead of servicing the goal of showing how he acquired his skills and began to continuously lose his humanity - and they've STILL got the Russian Mob to tick off the old checklist later. Jebus, at least in the old days we had those funny wigs to make fun of...

If Legends gets a 2nd season - and I'm skeptical - just ship Felicity and Vixen off to that show and give us back Sarah Lance. Let that show do the brand's heavy lifting for a year and leave Arrow to itself. I mean, give me one more year of dark as gently caress Oliver Queen with a sense that the stakes are truly personal and raised instead of what we have: a 50% improvement over season 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

But wait Felicity, didn't Oliver totally open up to you halfway through the episode about not wanting to be a part of Williams life without you and also hinting about wanting to keep William close to him now and then you just changed the subject without giving him any input of your own.

wait what were you mad at him about agan i forgot

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Feb 25, 2016

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
So Felicity feels she should have had a say in the decisions made about the life and safety of a child that's not hers and that she's never even met?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Martout posted:

So Felicity feels she should have had a say in the decisions made about the life and safety of a child that's not hers and that she's never even met?

Must be a Republican

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Why does Thea remain the only smart and logical person in the show?

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
Of all the things she's been upset about in the past this has to be the completely unchallenged #1 on the dumb-dumb list?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ApeHawk posted:

Because she hasn't really had any major responsibilities other than "run away with Malcom" and "come back".

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Martout posted:

Of all the things she's been upset about in the past this has to be the completely unchallenged #1 on the dumb-dumb list?

I think it was worse in the original timeline when she did pretty much the same thing as she did in this episode but because Olly hadn't immediately told her about it and had taken 1 loving day to process that he had a son by himself.

Seriously, Felicity drama is the absolute goddamn nadir of this show.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
It's triply irritating because that video message Oliver made was honestly really awesome. William's eighteenth birthday is going to be amazing.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It's a bad idea to walk out of an apartment after you literally just gained the ability. Should probably take the wheelchair to the doctor and get your legs checked before you walk to your car.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

greatn posted:

It's a bad idea to walk out of an apartment after you literally just gained the ability. Should probably take the wheelchair to the doctor and get your legs checked before you walk to your car.

true but her regaining her ability to walk and then instantly peacing out was the only funny thing she did all ep

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

BrianWilly posted:

It's triply irritating because that video message Oliver made was honestly really awesome. William's eighteenth birthday is going to be amazing.

Like he's not gonna find out in like a year or two

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Aphrodite posted:

They're just making Oliver and Laurel fit better. There's literally nothing he can do that she hasn't had to deal with from him already.

Sorry Laurel, but Alucard Midnight has kidnapped my other child I never told you about. I need to stop him.

I think I'm on board. Felicity is just an awful fit for Oliver. Her coping mechanism for his bullshit is to cry and scream and sulk and demand that he open up more emotionally make ultimatums. Laurel's primary coping method, on the other hand, is to roll her eyes and beat the poo poo out of some criminals.

Come on, which fits better with him?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

ApeHawk posted:

Kinda want to say that Laurel's pretty up there too. She's probably been one of the most stable supporting characters around since the end of season 2, with her only major fuckup since was bringing back Sara (which is really nullified since it got us both Constantine and stoner Sara on Legends).

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

And a crippling alcohol addiction that got her disbarred.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Slandible posted:

And a crippling alcohol addiction that got her disbarred.

She bounced back from that in the most hilarious way possible, so I give it a pass.

Unlike Felicity's crytalking bullshit, Laurel's fuckups usually have some good results.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Soothing Vapors posted:

true but her regaining her ability to walk and then instantly peacing out was the only funny thing she did all ep

Yeah that was amazing.

Also :3: as all hell that Ollie got to totally clown Dhark in front of his son. As soon as that started happening all I could think was "Well, that Flash figure is getting lost at the bottom of the toy bin." then they went and did it.

The :aaaaa: that kid is going to have when he sees that video and connects the dots.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Feb 25, 2016

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Scyantific posted:

She bounced back from that in the most hilarious way possible, so I give it a pass.

Unlike Felicity's crytalking bullshit, Laurel's fuckups usually have some good results.

She learned from the best Functional Alcoholic in town! He'd be proud.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Just replace Felicity with Nyssa.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
They are already married

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

nooneofconsequence posted:

Just replace Felicity with Nyssa.

It's not like she has anything better to do. Plus she can go gal-pal it up with Laurel again and gently caress with Oliver by cracking jokes about their sham creepy ritual marriage.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Please have Felicity walk out of the show forever.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"
I thought the last scene was Felicity coming to him to apologize and say that she understood. When she put the ring on the table I audibly said "Oh, gently caress YOU"

I don't understand this decision. Are we supposed to sympathize with her? If so, why did we have the scene earlier where Samantha was talking to her and very explicitly laid out that she was the one who forced him to do it and it seemed like Felicity was starting to understand? Why did we have literally every other character (Dig, Thea, even the crappy new animal girl) tell Oliver that they sympathized and understood? How could they possibly write that last scene without realizing that its going to make people hate Felicity and not be on her side at all?

I mean I guess its not surprising considering the earlier episode in the alternate timeline where she broke it off because he didn't tell her about his son within an hour of him first finding out about it.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

How has Dahrk not realized Oliver is green arrow? This makes literally no sense.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Tonight's Legends of Tomorrow ep established a bit of a spoiler for Arrow: It takes place in Star City in 2046. Connor Hawke is Diggle's son, and it sounded like Diggle died well after this season's events, so it can't be him in the grave.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

bbf2 posted:

I thought the last scene was Felicity coming to him to apologize and say that she understood. When she put the ring on the table I audibly said "Oh, gently caress YOU"

I don't understand this decision. Are we supposed to sympathize with her? If so, why did we have the scene earlier where Samantha was talking to her and very explicitly laid out that she was the one who forced him to do it and it seemed like Felicity was starting to understand? Why did we have literally every other character (Dig, Thea, even the crappy new animal girl) tell Oliver that they sympathized and understood? How could they possibly write that last scene without realizing that its going to make people hate Felicity and not be on her side at all?

Well, two likely possibilities. One is that the writers are just utterly incompetent. (honestly can't really ignore this one) Other one is that the writers do realize this and it's just as people say, they're setting up for a future Oliver & Laurel romance without making Oliver look like the bad guy.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

hcreight posted:

Tonight's Legends of Tomorrow ep established a bit of a spoiler for Arrow: It takes place in Star City in 2046. Connor Hawke is Diggle's son, and it sounded like Diggle died well after this season's events, so it can't be him in the grave.

This is an alternate future 2046; its events aren't tied to this season of Arrow.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Ville Valo posted:

This is an alternate future 2046; its events aren't tied to this season of Arrow.

The episode made it perfectly clear that the 2046 they visited was one where the LoT team never returned from their mission. So unless the team returns to 2016 before the gravestone scene and changes the timeline in such a way that gets Diggle killed, he can't die this season.

Unless this is just some really bad plotting, which again, you can't rule out with these writers.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Soothing Vapors posted:

Self-righteous, tearful rage is what makes the chip work, so she's going to have to keep coming back to Oliver for re-disappointment or become paralyzed again.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

bbf2 posted:

I mean I guess its not surprising considering the earlier episode in the alternate timeline where she broke it off because he didn't tell her about his son within an hour of him first finding out about it.

I was actually expecting Felicity and Baby Mama to have bonded and start actually liking each other by the end of the episode.

"He kidnapped my son!"
"He put me in this wheelchair."

Sundays at 8, on FOX

libertao
Jun 23, 2006
Doofus
Felicity's miraculous walk out the door was OTT, but her breaking off the engagement didn't seem too ridiculous to me. Oliver's inability to trust or rely on others has been well-established as a running theme throughout the show. And he has regularly shared deep secrets with other people before -- there was little reason for him not to tell such a huge one to Felicity now. Spouses constantly tell each other secrets that they've promised not to tell to anyone else.

And the icing on the cake was him not even mentioning to her beforehand that he was sending off his kid and baby-mama forever for the rest of his son's childhood. It's not about seeking Felicity's permission, it's about a complete lack of sense of partnership, reliance, inclusion, equality, etc. with a (future) spouse. If he doesn't need her for something computer-related, he rarely if ever seeks her help or advice. Doesn't bode well for marriage and it makes sense she might think that.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

This dumb show is good when it wants to be. There is no need to jump onto the melodramatic train whenever they aren't having bad fight scenes. I refuse to believe teenage girls are the main demo for these shows.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It's none of her god drat business. He should and probably would tell her the decision he made on William, but she isn't owed a consult.

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009
I feel like the writers are just fulfilling the Monkeys Paw wish cycle for Olicity shippers. "Yeah, we made the thing you want to happen, happen, now choke on it."

Or you could chalk this up to CWness exerting itself.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
The lady playing Vixen wasn't very good, IMO.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Laurel has been undergoing a steady development character arc for four goddamn seasons without backsliding which is more than twice over I can say for Felicity.

Put Felicity back in the black hair and ankh and make her the new Calculator, put Mr. Terrific in her place instead, and then for the love of gods finally get around to getting Ollie and Laurel together. Let's get this nonsense over with ASAP.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Wow, what an atrociously bad episode!

- Vixen was bad and her special effects were loving terrible.
- Darkh's fight scenes... lol? The dude knows like two moves: force choke and force push.
- Felicity is a horrible, dumb character now. Thank you, writers!
- More boring flashbacks...

Also, I laughed out loud when Oliver was introducing Vixen and said to the group, "we had an animated encounter in Detroit last year" right in the middle of the awkwardness of it being revealed that he had had an affair while dating Laurel. It's one of those things where it's obvious what he meant, but could have been misconstrued otherwise.

Titan
Jan 14, 2002
I want more info on what Constantine is doing in Hell.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Titan posted:

I want more info on what Constantine is doing in Hell.

Find out in Season 2 of Const- oh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I'm annoyed that they spoiled its ending actually.

• Locked thread