Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i've been really sick and even though I'm over most of it, when I get off work I'm going to pick up some very spicy thai curry to clear out my sinuses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
happy 2131, enjoy that mental image

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Scruffpuff posted:

None of this will happen, because Sandi and Ben never mentally grew past junior-high school.

Ben has a very different problem, and while it excuses none of his bad behavior, I still find it more sympathetic. He has been given a dream job, 'big important title', and serves at the right hand of the Queen wife of his childhood god. The reward is the curse:

quote:

'yes, you now work directly for your god himself, Ben-- but guess what? He's not quite the paragon you thought when you worshipped him from far away... And the Queen, whoo-boy, she's no picnic either! If you want to keep your seat in the court of your most high god and king, you're going to have to carry out some pretty lousy orders, day in and day out. You'll be repressing dissent, you'll be dealing with angry rabble, you'll have to tell a lot of lies for the sake of peace... If you're willing to do that, you can stay in their good favor. Your loyalty GOT your here, and your loyalty will KEEP you here!"

That's Ben's plight, seems to me.

It reminds me, absurdly, of the Ultima IV personality tests- which were an early encounter for me with vexing ethical dilemmas. This is the Ben-approach...

So, while I can't defend a lot of his actions, I'm at least more sympathetic with his plight. Sandi is a big author of said plight, so merits no such consideration...

G0RF fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Jul 12, 2016

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Eonwe posted:

i've been really sick and even though I'm over most of it, when I get off work I'm going to pick up some very spicy thai curry to clear out my sinuses

Oh, I'm sorry to hear you've been sick. The thread did comment on the lack of :eonwe: though, so you know you are missed. And spicy thai curry is great, though maybe not while sick since I actually enjoy the taste.

VV. And that is a very fine white catte.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Feb 26, 2016

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

Eonwe posted:

happy 2131, enjoy that mental image

Ultra Violet does not enjoy that mental image. Nor curry, but she loves cheesecake & yoghurt!

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

The best part of this is severly butt devestated shitizens in the chat.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Oh, I'm sorry to hear you've been sick. The thread did comment on the lack of :eonwe: though, so you know you are missed. And spicy thai curry is great, though maybe not while sick since I actually enjoy the taste.

VV. And that is a very fine white catte.

yeah Tuesday & Wednesday I probably slept 40 out of the 48 hours

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

As lead developer I don't know *why* things are happening.

Seems about right ben, you've lost all credibility.

edit:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/319870/the-xian-scout-will-perhaps-be-a-two-seater-reply-from-ben/p3

Thread blew up.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Wait. Ben is EARLY loving thirties?

I never cease to be amazed at how much poor lifestyle choices can age someone, but come the gently caress ON.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

/r/DerekSmart thinking Lowtax turned on the paywall because of them :allears:

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Ahh, that's cute. They really are like the Dangan Ronpa fandom after all.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Lime Tonics posted:

edit:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/319870/the-xian-scout-will-perhaps-be-a-two-seater-reply-from-ben/p3

Thread blew up.

Ben "Developer" Lesnick everybody, tip your servers please.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Lime Tonics posted:

edit:

Thread blew up.

software should have technical requirements

like if you are programming a ship and it has 3 seats, you write into the requirements that its a 3 seat vehicle for example

the fact that they could just 'lose' a seat in a vehicle tells me they have some piss poor documentation going on and people should really be worried about that

Plural Abysss
Feb 25, 2016

MeLKoR posted:

Welcome to the Stimpire, commando! o4
Out of curiosity what's your situation on the refund/chargeback front and how much are you in for if it's not too big of a shame to answer?

So, I was gifted a $45 Aurora package by a relative. No refund/chargeback attempted because I was having a decent enough time alpha testing the collision physics in the PTU so far.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
like at the place I work everything is written out as a business or technical requirement and not a single thing gets changed unless every relevant requirement is updated

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/319856/xi-an-khartu-al-visibility

Everything SC today is golden.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

Eonwe posted:

software should have technical requirements

like if you are programming a ship and it has 3 seats, you write into the requirements that its a 3 seat vehicle for example

the fact that they could just 'lose' a seat in a vehicle tells me they have some piss poor documentation going on and people should really be worried about that

What's worse: piss-poor documentation or no documentation at all?

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug

alf_pogs posted:

ha ha ha

CIG are rearranging deck chairs on the titanic. meanwhile SA soars invincible, high above in mighty airship Hindenburg! oh the humanity

it's incredible that a humble old man with cancer might be the david to topple the kickstarter goliath

This sounds like the story of Icarus. Soon we'll find out that Radium is actually Chris Roberts.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

lol

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6401406/#Comment_6401406

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Variable 5 posted:

What's worse: piss-poor documentation or no documentation at all?

the idea of not having any documentation on stuff like that is extremely triggering

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

What's worse, Radium's forum code or Star Citizen's code?

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

Lime Tonics posted:

edit:

Thread blew up.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

runsamok posted:

Ultra Violet does not enjoy that mental image. Nor curry, but she loves cheesecake & yoghurt!

This cat is pro.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

This is the best response in that thread. Holy loving lol @ it losing half its features ACCIDENTALLY.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
Lesnick is gonna crack the case on this one-seat thing wide open. Lesnick PI. Gonna get right to the bottom of this one. A mystery for the ages, and Lesnick is the one man with the grit necessary to solve it.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Daztek posted:

What's worse, Radium's forum code or Star Citizen's code?

https://twitter.com/lowtax/status/695428195248525316

Forums code for sure, Radium at least has comments even if they appear to mostly just denote his general confusion and bigoted hatred

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Make the radar stupid and distracting, and then add a functional "sensor" that is useful in the corner somewhere.

I love this idea. What should I change the radar signatures to? Birds? Wheelchairs? I'm a programmer guys, I lack comedy, and I need your help.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

So... the art team wasn't made aware it was a two seater.

lol

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

TTerrible posted:

This is the best response in that thread. Holy loving lol @ it losing half its features ACCIDENTALLY.

I'll bet they're in the same closet as all the missing Star Marine features

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Toops posted:

I love this idea. What should I change the radar signatures to? Birds? Wheelchairs? I'm a programmer guys, I lack comedy, and I need your help.

:gary:

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

TTerrible posted:

There is always more and it is always worse.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

Toops posted:

Yeah the goal is to get this thing multiplayer. It's butt lot of work and I don't have much game networking experience, but I love tackling new challenges. My biggest problem right now is forcing myself to go to bed when I'm in "Full Burn" game dev mode. My time working at Cisco will probably help some with the network side, but I'm not kidding myself.

*Unity has frameworks and tools for multiplayer, and there's rear end-tons of docs and resources, but it's a daunting task. There's like a fine line between hilariously bad physics jank (which is a core feature for Solar Plebeian), and unplayable netcode fuckery that makes you ragequit (e.g. Star Citizen). I'm gonna give it a college try.

The first pre-pre-pre-alpha version I get to you guys will be single-player, with garbage enemy ship AI.

Honestly the only thing I'm more worried about than netcode is system/os compatibility bugs. I still don't have a good sense of how cross-compatible Unity builds are.

e: Unity, no Steam

Unity's built in stuff is pretty much cross-platform compatible out of the gate. If you start writing your own networking packets and stuff then you'll need to be sure of little/big endian crap.

If you're going for uselessness disguised as immersion filled feature, how about a radar that is just a 3d equivilant of - a 3d noise that gets updated with a sweeper with slightly higher intensity where objects would be located. It would be in full 3d so it would be useless and unusable.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

runsamok posted:

My catte, who has finally gotten over me "abandoning" her with my roommate for 12 days while I was away in Sweden:

Immaculatte Catte

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

Sedisp posted:

So... the art team wasn't made aware it was a two seater.

lol

Too late to change it back now, duh.

Edit: Sorry guys, I’m tired of this. It’s not fun for anyone but your group and it’s tedious for anyone else posting to the forums. The level of toxicity the users posting to this thread adds to the forums is not acceptable.
I am absolutely bored with the insane levels of smug pretense happening here. It’s not fooling anyone (other than regular users already keyed up about ‘Goons’ playing the same game as they are, and you sure showed them! Take that, pubbies!) and it’s just so uninteresting. “We’re just standing up for the little guy! Help we’re being oppressed! Etc.!” I have some good news for you: you’re a regular forum user and you don’t need to stand up for anybody. You don’t run the place. That’s the moderation staff’s job, and if they suck at it then I will fire them.

They don’t suck at it right now, though. Your constant baiting isn’t changing my mind about that, it’s making me feel sorry for the group of people I put in the position of having to deal with you. It’s really, really obvious what’s happening, and no number of lengthy PMs about your views on how moderation is supposed to work are going to change that. The level of disrespect here is outrageous; absolutely no one believes you’re really here with obnoxious rule-skating signatures and stupid parody account avatars because you’re incredibly concerned with how a particular forum’s moderation works.

But if that is a genuine worry: if Toast bans someone for being a Goon instead of for being an rear end in a top hat, let me know (via PM, not endless toxic thread) and I will fire Toast. Until that happens, this is just tiresome and makes the forums look bad to everyone. (And this is just a gut feeling, but maybe the moderator bias that you all claim to be so worried about above anything else in the universe would be more obvious to me if absolutely anyone other than the people posting to this thread were contacting me about it?)

I will say that this is in no way a condemnation of all “Goons.” In following the Star Citizen threads at SA, it’s clear there are lots of Something Awful users who are interested in/excited about Star Citizen. You aren’t being haunted by some EVE reputation that you pretend to know nothing about… you’re giving the group a bad name right here (literally, in the name of your thread.) But of course you know that. SA is full of entirely reasonable people (myself included) who do all kinds of interesting things. Endless forum “shitposting” and trying to get moderators/staff fired isn’t one of those interesting things.

Thread closed.

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug

Toops posted:

Ben Lesnik gifs?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

How can exploration be the "#1 career in the 'purse" when the game will have 100 or so systems*? Everything will be explored before people on the west coast get home from work on release** day?

*it won't

**lmao

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
a new segment on AtV where Ben Lesnick goes searching for the missing videogame ship seat, except its just him looking under chairs and in filing cabinets and shrugging his shoulders while film noir jazz plays in the background.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Terebus posted:

Ben Lesnik gifs?

Only if 4k monitors are mandatory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Ben is a turd and sandi is a helldaemon and I can't wait till Derek sues them into oblivion.

Text struck for rules *8,* 7, and *9 violations.

*nasty word

*oopsie

*Mentioning the badman who threatened to give us a booboo

• Locked thread