Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malkar
Aug 19, 2010

Taste the cloud

Dick Trauma posted:

I know someone had asked for a catch-up megapost but frankly I'm too burned out to spew out all the terrible crap I've put up with over the last year.

This week the office manager has started a new harassment campaign: turning my A/C off when I step away from my office. Our offices are next to one another but he and I are on separate HVAC loops and we each have our own thermostat. Works great, first time I've ever had my own thermostat and it's necessary due to the amazing amount of sun we get on our side of the building. In the afternoon the A/C barely can keep up, and if you turn it off you never will. Starting Monday if I leave my office for more than 20 minutes I come back to find he's turned the control wheel to the top, turning off the A/C. No one else sits in our corner of the building and I doubt anyone else hates me enough to put so much effort into this. I leave work before him so he turns it off after I go, making sure that my office is cooking when I arrive in the morning.

So this evening before I leave I'm going to smear hand lotion on the control wheel. It's a small thing but I don't have any other options. Maybe it will annoy him or gross him out.

Next week I'll have been here for a year, and two weeks from now will be the one year anniversary of the last status meeting I had with my boss. It will also be the one year anniversary of the last meeting I had with the CEO. They were both supposed to meet with me together every two weeks but after the beginning of March 2015 they would just cancel the meeting week after week until they finally stopped scheduling it.

Although the CEO contacts me about once every two months to yell about problems with his iPhone I've received no feedback for the entire year. No positives, no negatives. Nothing. On the few occasions my boss or the CEO speak with me it's entirely one direction, even if they ask me a question like when they're having a tech issue. They never let me finish a sentence. Never.

So I've been invisible except when there's a problem. It struck me that I can't remember the last time someone I worked for said something like "Good job" or "keep up the good work" or something to that effect. The most minor of positive comments. At the same time I also don't get any constructive feedback. It's just... nothing. Probably 2003 was the last time I had a boss that now and then would say something encouraging. He was a good guy that had my back and didn't treat me like an appliance. I'm really weary of being an appliance.

I'm glad after a year and a half of not reading this thread, I can come back to something familiar- Dick Trauma being poo poo on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I'm not even the one who has to deal with this asshattery and I can feel myself becoming disillusioned with IT work. I truly, genuinely hope things get better for y'all, DT and the rest of you who have to deal with assholes on a daily basis.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
If you guys want to hear a happy story: New CIO actually did a pretty fun party for us today. Went off site at 2pm. Everyone got at least 1 comped drink ticket and i've garnered so much goodwill that I had 6 handed to me. Obv I don't want to get trashed at work so I gave two away but basically ended up drinking 4 nice stouts in 3 hours. Food was actually really decent as well.

As people gave me drink tickets, they cited how I had saved their asses :)

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

stubblyhead posted:

Plugs into wall ==> IT's responsibility.

Snow plugs into the wall.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Look at the positives Dick Trauma, you're still getting a paycheck even with being ignored. It's a lot more fun and less stressful to look for a job while you are already employed! Hopefully you find something that sticks that you like. If you feel your tech skills are getting weak use some of that ample work free time to take a cheap udemy class or something.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
iOS mail app....

A large portion of our customers receive PDF copies of their invoices via email when invoices are charged to their account. Over the past 2-3 months we have been getting lots of calls/emails from angry customers because they are only receiving the first page of any PDFs we send to them. All of these customers have one thing in common.. They are looking at the email with a iOS device.

Not sure when this changed, but for some stupid reason, the iOS mail client in some cases only shows the first page of any PDF, with no obvious option to see the other pages. You tap on the PDF attachment, and you only get the first page. You have to tap and hold on the first page, then you get the option to Open, which then opens it again, but allows you to see all the pages. But then in some cases it does this automatically without having to tap and hold on it!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I wish I could give an 'honest assessment' of who the people with the least amount of computer skills are in each department to managers. Then they could re-train them or fire their retarded asses.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Bob Morales posted:

I wish I could give an 'honest assessment' of who the people with the least amount of computer skills are in each department to managers. Then they could re-train them or fire their retarded asses.

Ticket volume/average severity by reporting user?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I'd love to implement two custom fields for "Was issue caused by user?" And "Actual severity" to be filled in by techs. Would have some fantastic user based reports to share after a few months.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Che Delilas posted:

Ticket volume/average severity by reporting user?

Triviality of ticket and amount of mouth-breathing.

We hire people who can't type, don't know how to use Office, etc. Windows 95 came out 20 loving years ago people have no excuse to have basic computer skills.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

Triviality of ticket and amount of mouth-breathing.

We hire people who can't type, don't know how to use Office, etc. Windows 95 came out 20 loving years ago people have no excuse to have basic computer skills.

We will win this battle as we continue to lower baby boomers into the ground

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

mewse posted:

I work at a University with college students.

No we won't.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Way back when I worked retail I had a manager that was throwing hidden cameras all over the place to find out who was stealing a few snacks. He got busted with tens of thousands of dollars worth of stolen merch, although I don't think his cameras caught him.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Bob Morales posted:

We in IT (as in all of us sans our director) started a series of meetings with the HR director to voice our concerns about the company direction, how we need a tier 1 helpdesk person to deal with the stupid bullshit, etc. Nothing in an attempt to go over our directors head, he knows and is supportive.

One of our big complaints is the quality of people in the organization, barely any troubleshooting on their own or any sort of critical thinking skills attempted before throwing in a ticket or calling.

The HR director agrees, knows, and already has a list of people that are first against the wall at the next opportunity. :unsmigghh:

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
We have that same list for our company. However we hire for 'fit'. The person who fits best with a bunch of dinosaurs is another dinosaur.

The company has no IT competency, it's expected that the IT dept somehow bridges the gap by delivering.... Something.

I'll let you guys know when I figure out what it is.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

devmd01 posted:

We in IT (as in all of us sans our director) started a series of meetings with the HR director to voice our concerns about the company direction, how we need a tier 1 helpdesk person to deal with the stupid bullshit, etc. Nothing in an attempt to go over our directors head, he knows and is supportive.

One of our big complaints is the quality of people in the organization, barely any troubleshooting on their own or any sort of critical thinking skills attempted before throwing in a ticket or calling.

The HR director agrees, knows, and already has a list of people that are first against the wall at the next opportunity. :unsmigghh:

This is interesting to me because it's long been my contention that IT, by virtue of working with every single person in the company, has the best knowledge of whether they're a capable worker. To me it comes down to what you said - did they do any critical thinking, and are they capable of following simple directions. If not, they're a waste of space and are unlikely to be some sort of savant at their actual job task. (Sales is a somewhat outlier here since I think the ability to sell things is unique and very much, in fact, almost always, not tied to being able to critically think). But in most other roles, being that today's workers are information workers and need to know how to do things with a computer, I've always seen that the people we think of as idiot users also tend to be bad at their actual job and really should just be fired.

Basically if I were a CEO I'd go to my IT workers and be like "who would you fire if you had a chance, and why exactly". This also presumes I've already made sure my IT workers aren't idiots.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Potato Alley posted:

Basically if I were a CEO I'd go to my IT workers and be like "who would you fire if you had a chance, and why exactly". This also presumes I've already made sure my IT workers aren't idiots.
I had thought that by now, we'd all have understood how incredibly hosed up stack ranking is, but I guess not.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
The more I learn about the code for the application my company develops, the more horrified I am.
  • User passwords are not hashed
  • Relies on .NET 1.1 framework (vintage 2003!)
  • One of the developer's AD credentials are hardcoded into the application somewhere (apparently nobody knows), so his password is set to never expire
I'd be more okay with it if fixing any of this was on the horizon, but priorities are on new UI stuff and porting to other platforms.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

mewse posted:

New thread title please.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Downside is the world is always creating new idiots so even when the boomers are gone not much will change.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Over the last few days I've been helping a remote location troubleshoot a even more remote ATM that sits on a DSL connection. As far as I can tell, it is a problem with the DSL provider, as the connection drops for awhile, and then comes back, all without us doing anything. When its up, I get into the firewall and I see that its not rebooting, the VPN rekeys once it talks back to our side. The side facing the ATM sometimes flaps, but the side facing the DSL modem is solid. I tell the person onsite to keep harassing the provider, as there is nothing I can really do. Person helping me says that is fine, thanks me and says she'll keep me informed.

Couple of hours later, my boss responds to an earlier email from her and basically throws me under the bus saying that its probably not the DSL line at all, but a bad cable on the trusted side of the firewall. He attaches past of the log file which does nothing but look important, and then tells me he solved the problem. I mention that even if the trusted side of the firewall is down and the VPN drops, the outside side of the firewall would still be accessible. He looks at me, and says he is positive its the cable or the speed/duplex setting.

So today an ATM tech shows up and says the machine is online and we go ahead and swap out the cables because why not. Speed and duplex are still good, cables look fine and we both agree the odds of this being anything but a DSL issue is pretty much nonexistent. Wonder what excuse the boss will come up with when that doesn't fix it.

Also, he had 2 people from our internet provider come by to talk to him about future projects or something, as he didn't introduce us to them, then left for lunch for them without saying a word. Such an amazing prick that its almost a work of art.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
Oh Lord (whom i don't believe in, but it makes for a good narrative) please give the the strength to not lose my poo poo at all the whining about two factor auth."

Thanks in advance.

Love,
Nitrogen

Also, the fact I set all this up, i'm taking it personally even though I know I have no reason to.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

nitrogen posted:

Oh Lord (whom i don't believe in, but it makes for a good narrative) please give the the strength to not lose my poo poo at all the whining about two factor auth."

Thanks in advance.

Love,
Nitrogen

Also, the fact I set all this up, i'm taking it personally even though I know I have no reason to.

What we do at my job (and is the most rage inducing part for users and my favorite part) is when you login to an account without an MFA you can only go add an MFA and have to logout/login to go any further. Cheeky bastards think they've successfully thwarted us only to be kicked in the face. Also this helps with troubleshooting and the cattle solution: "My MFA is broken" "Ok cool I removed it, set it up again" "but wait whaaa why Virigoth why!" "Here is the link to the wiki page to do it, have a nice day!"

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

There's slight whining about 2FA here, but PCI bitches deal with it.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Potato Alley posted:

This is interesting to me because it's long been my contention that IT, by virtue of working with every single person in the company, has the best knowledge of whether they're a capable worker. To me it comes down to what you said - did they do any critical thinking, and are they capable of following simple directions. If not, they're a waste of space and are unlikely to be some sort of savant at their actual job task. (Sales is a somewhat outlier here since I think the ability to sell things is unique and very much, in fact, almost always, not tied to being able to critically think). But in most other roles, being that today's workers are information workers and need to know how to do things with a computer, I've always seen that the people we think of as idiot users also tend to be bad at their actual job and really should just be fired.

What amazes me about my current environment is when a department gets a new service or application, even if it involves an in house server, we require them to get a support contract. When something breaks, their first line support is to directly contact their vendor (and copy us). This results in departments knowing how their poo poo works, how to fix minor issues, and what the limitations of their product is. Critical thinking is part of the culture and they hire people to match.

Also, I worked sales for two years before getting in to IT and easily outsold any of the knuckleheads there. Sales does not get a pass on critical thinking but can get by without it and not get fired.

I guarantee if an organization switched the sales team and IT team for a week, it will still be a one-sided affair of who accomplishes poo poo and who flails around complaining that everything is working against them.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

anthonypants posted:

I had thought that by now, we'd all have understood how incredibly hosed up stack ranking is, but I guess not.

I thought stack ranking was where x number of people in a department get commended and x get warned/fired, regardless of how well or badly the department as a whole was doing.

I don't think IT would do well as sales, at least not with the number of sperglords it attracts (I include myself).

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

MF_James posted:

There's slight whining about 2FA here, but PCI bitches deal with it.

Yeah.

It's annoying, I get that, but it's out of my hands. Regulatory requirement, blame Obama (the requirement started in 2012 for hipaa i'm told, and we weaseled it, but no more.)

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I thought stack ranking was where x number of people in a department get commended and x get warned/fired, regardless of how well or badly the department as a whole was doing.

Mostly, but it also involves putting them in an ordered list, because skills and experiences are perfectly fungible and that is the most sensible way to determine who is objectively best and objectively worst.

You literally make a stack of rankings.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I've been in sales and a team leader and trainer for salespeople. At best we IT people could be considered decent to slightly above average salespeople, since we would be able to know the product, answer all questions from the customer and not make any mistakes in the customer interaction and sales process. A human waste of space and oxygen with no skills at all will crush any and all of us in sales numbers as long as they have a salesmans personality. As an IT person I can take my troubleshooting skills to my dishwasher, my car or my IKEA furniture, whereas someone like Michael Scott from The Office is an excellent salesperson and sucks at everything else. None of their sales skills are transferable to any other skill because they have no reflection about what they do or how they do it, it is pure personality.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

When I worked at a newspaper I felt I could if needed handle any job related to getting the paper made and printed out. With the exception of advertising sales. gently caress sales.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer
What is pissing me off right now:

My cellphone won't stop ringing (enabled call waiting is not helping). Landline phone next to me won't stop ringing (on all lines). My private cell won't stop ringing, because loving coworker gave out that number to a client.

Everyone is calling with stupid problems which they could easily solve themselves (haha, yeah right). Half of the calls are "I can't sign this document with a certificate". Totally not helping it is that, as a means of convenience, our Ministry of Interior is issuing personal certificates on identity card, except none of them issued before certain dates work. If you somehow do get them to work, then you bork all the ones issued after said date. Here you have to get all the tax-related paperwork by the end of february, and everything has to be digitally signed.

Also, none of my coworkers are here, they are mostly somewhere on-site, client is moving to new space over the weekend, and it seems no one bothered to organize poo poo.

It seems like there is not enough bourbon in the world right now to help me.

Sorry for the e/n, I needed to vent.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

When clients call your private cell, put on a fake accent and speak gibberish.

Then shoot the coworker that gave out your number.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Collateral Damage posted:

Tell them they have the wrong number and give them the offending coworkers number.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Collateral Damage posted:

Offer to take their order for pizza and/or sex toys.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Recruiter just made the official permanent ban shitlist. I'm not even sure if he was calling trying to get me for something or wanting to recruit for any open positions I have (I don't have any open positions), but he called my personal cell phone at 8:05 am. I'm not even sure why he had my personal cell phone, but that's before I get up for work so I was still sleeping. The only calls I get this early in the morning is escalation from work telling me poo poo is hosed or if a relative died. So, thanks fucker for starting my day by making my heart leap into my chest. You have now earned a place on my carrier's block list.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

mewse posted:

It's not even just old people. Plenty of 20-somethings don't have a clue how to use a computer.

But people think "you're young and have an iPhone! You must be good with computers you're hired!"

edit: at lunch all the interns were eating at a table and the owner of the company (76 years old?) walked by and he said "Oh this makes me feel like I am at Google or Facebook in Silicon Valley. Having all these super-intelligent young people working here that understand technology"

All of them were snapchatting or some poo poo on their phones.

This last batch of interns was possibly the loving dumbest group we've ever had. Most likely because it consisted of the owners youngest kid and 6-7 of his buddies.

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Feb 26, 2016

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Potato Alley posted:

Clearly this would have no negative effects on morale at your company whatsoever.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

evobatman posted:

I've been in sales and a team leader and trainer for salespeople. At best we IT people could be considered decent to slightly above average salespeople, since we would be able to know the product, answer all questions from the customer and not make any mistakes in the customer interaction and sales process. A human waste of space and oxygen with no skills at all will crush any and all of us in sales numbers as long as they have a salesmans personality. As an IT person I can take my troubleshooting skills to my dishwasher, my car or my IKEA furniture, whereas someone like Michael Scott from The Office is an excellent salesperson and sucks at everything else. None of their sales skills are transferable to any other skill because they have no reflection about what they do or how they do it, it is pure personality.

Oh christ yes. I used to work at Future Shop (canadian Best Buy, now dead) and the tech office had one of the top computer sales people across Canada believing that those clear plastic doohickeys at the bottom of the DVD spindle were a new storage format. I think we called them Laser Discs. The dude couldn't figure his way out of a paper bag where a computer was related, but the fucker regularly made top 10 and got sent on trips for his sales numbers.

Bob Morales posted:

It's not even just old people. Plenty of 20-somethings don't have a clue how to use a computer.

But people think "you're young and have an iPhone! You must be good with computers you're hired!"

edit: at lunch all the interns were eating at a table and the owner of the company (76 years old?) walked by and he said "Oh this makes me feel like I am at Google or Facebook in Silicon Valley. Having all these super-intelligent young people working here that understand technology"

All of them were snapchatting or some poo poo on their phones.

This last batch of interns was possibly the loving dumbest group we've ever had. Most likely because it consisted of the owners youngest kid and 6-7 of his buddies.

I think I've posted this before, but it seems like there's an interesting generational thing at work. It's split into three basic categories:

Old fucks: Your parents and older. People who didn't grow up at a point where personal computers were a thing. Probably have stories about using punch cards to play around with the computer at high school, at best. Generally don't care to learn about computers, as the older ways are absolutely objectively better and I'll be damned if I'm going to give my banking information to google they are just trying to hack me but hold on I need to put my SIN in this website to download solitaire.

Nerd generation: Grew up with personal computers, or at least cared enough when they became more common that they tried to use them. Got into computing when you needed a certain amount of knowledge to do more than run Word(perfect). Because of this, knows more than just "press butan recieve flashy lights", and is generally able to problem solve in at least a limited fashion.

"It just works" generation: Raised on iphones and macs. Computers are an integral part of their lives, but they have no goddamn idea how to use them, as they are used to the computer holding their hand through every step of the process. Completely unable to handle things not working properly, because it's not something they have to deal with on a regular basis.

It's more of a spectrum than absolute classification, and there are definitely outliers, but there's a definite peak of computer-savviness beyond being able to install apps, and it was in the past.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

ChickenWing posted:

"It just works" generation: Raised on iphones and macs. Computers are an integral part of their lives, but they have no goddamn idea how to use them, as they are used to the computer holding their hand through every step of the process. Completely unable to handle things not working properly, because it's not something they have to deal with on a regular basis.

So is me making my 10 year old install windows 10 on a new PC a good thing, or possibly a form of child abuse?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

SubjectVerbObject posted:

So is me making my 10 year old install windows 10 on a new PC a good thing, or possibly a form of child abuse?

ARCH LINUX