Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Plus Colbert's a Christian who seems to take the whole "love your neighbor" bit more seriously than most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Plus Colbert's a Christian who seems to take the whole "love your neighbor" bit more seriously than most.

The man teaches Sunday school. He might be the most genuine Christian on TV these days.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Narcissus1916 posted:

I think the article is dead-on on Noah's current lack of influence. There IS a Daily Show sized hole in our culture.

I tried filling it with Colbert's new show and it was fuckawful and had as much bite as a midline Kimmel monologue.

Seth Meyer's a pretty good Relief Pitcher though; I just started watching his show and it has far more insight that SNL ever did.

The article also found one issue where Wilmore clearly had a smarter more nuanced take than Noah. Wilmore is great when its an issue he cares about - but that's all too rare.
I remember when I criticized the Noah pick. I said that while I was sure he would make a fine comedy host, The Daily Show needs to be more.

But goons said, so the show will change, that's fine.

WHO'S FINE NOW?!

edit: Here it is:
"At the risk of sounding xenophobic, I really think they should have gotten an American to fill the spot. Jon Oliver's been in the US long enough to be a citizen, and his pieces on LWT approach issues from a more analytical, removed standpoint anyway. TDS is grounded more in pop culture, and Trevor Noah, regardless of how good a host/writer he may be, will come across like Piers Morgan 2.0."

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Feb 18, 2016

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Josh Lyman posted:

I remember when I criticized the Noah pick. I said that while I was sure he would make a fine comedy host, The Daily Show needs to be more.

WHO'S FINE NOW?!

I am. I'm completely fine.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

What has been seen cannot be unseen.

Josh Lyman posted:

WHO'S FINE NOW?!

"At the risk of sounding xenophobic, I really think they should have gotten an American to fill the spot. Jon Oliver's been in the US long enough to be a citizen, and his pieces on LWT approach issues from a more analytical, removed standpoint anyway. TDS is grounded more in pop culture, and Trevor Noah, regardless of how good a host/writer he may be, will come across like Piers Morgan 2.0."

Nice! You found a citation to prove that you have been wrong all along! :bravo:

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Pillow Hat posted:

No reason for me to continually restate my opinion on Noah, but if you don't think Klepper is funny, you have objectively bad taste :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCI4bUk4vuM

I did like him in that, but hell, even Dan Bakkedahl had one or two pieces I liked. TDS needs people who can be funny consistently, not just once in a while.

Josh Lyman posted:

I mean yes, he's lagging behind Oliver (and Bee seems to be outdoing him as well so far), but he is not Piers Morgan 2.0. Not even in the ballpark.

And they certainly would have given Oliver the gig if he was available at the time, so that's not really a fair comparison.

Regardless of who they gave the TDS gig to, it was a tough position. The new host is replacing the guy who basically designed the entire genre of late-night political satire (Stewart), and is going up against probably his three most celebrated protégées (Colbert, Oliver, and Bee). Bearing in mind that Jessica Williams claims she didn't want the job, I'm not sure who would have been a better choice.

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

rujasu posted:

I mean yes, he's lagging behind Oliver (and Bee seems to be outdoing him as well so far), but he is not Piers Morgan 2.0. Not even in the ballpark.

You're right, Piers Morgan was funny on occasion.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

John Kasich on Colbert tonight. I really don't want to watch John Kasich on anything. Someone tell me if it's worth a drat.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Steve Vader posted:

John Kasich on Colbert tonight. I really don't want to watch John Kasich on anything. Someone tell me if it's worth a drat.

A good installment of the Hungry for Power Games, Kasich is the last guest so I donno if I'll stay awake to see if it's bad or just bad. Probably enough time to say "I still exist" and then off.
E: pretty must as expected. A few minutes of fluff, Colbert tried to pin him on his comments against appointing a new Supreme Court Justice this year, he dodged poorly, segment over.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Feb 18, 2016

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

rujasu posted:

Regardless of who they gave the TDS gig to, it was a tough position. The new host is replacing the guy who basically designed the entire genre of late-night political satire (Stewart), and is going up against probably his three most celebrated protégées (Colbert, Oliver, and Bee). Bearing in mind that Jessica Williams claims she didn't want the job, I'm not sure who would have been a better choice.

Going by the last few pages, saying Jessica sucks and that she was never that good seems to be the new hotness in the TDS thread anyway.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

So... show's back...

Mendicant
Sep 22, 2015

by zen death robot
who loving cares

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

cool

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
The uganda thing was kinda neat and in which I mean horrifying.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

I like Cory Booker. I wonder if he'll make a run at presidency some day. He seems like a truly compassionate human.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
There's already plenty of people, especially goons, who are a bit weary of Cory Booker.

Don't get me wrong; he's easy to like if you want to like him, but I've been put off by his Wall Street ties, his love for the media circuit, and his coddling with Chris Christie. (And he also stopped my man Rush Holt from becoming a senator.)

It's frustrating because his personal narrative, including dashing into a burning building, is very compelling. But unless if he retools his politics, he's further to the right than Obama and Hillary.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

Really? I was looking through his page on OnTheIssues because I honestly don't know his politics that well, and he seemed like someone I mostly agreed with, at least on social issues.

For my edification: What specifically do you dislike about him?

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Specific issues?

The two the pop into my head first (besides his Wall Street ties), is his embrace of education "reform" and his opposition to Obama's Iran deal a few months back. Those aren't the most objectionable things if I pull back, but those things are what sticks out first to me considering how well he's able to state his progressive positions on social issues.

Granted maybe I'm being too harsh in fully embracing neoliberal bashing. I might not be checking my contrarian mentality enough.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

shades of eternity posted:

The uganda thing was kinda neat and in which I mean horrifying.

Not entirely surprising from the country that toyed with the idea of making "being gay" a crime punishable by execution.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

That child did a pretty good job of being the GOP incarnate.

e: Holy poo poo this Jessica Williams segment.

Jonas Albrecht fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Feb 24, 2016

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Jonas Albrecht posted:

That child did a pretty good job of being the GOP incarnate.

e: Holy poo poo this Jessica Williams segment.

I can't tell if that one preacher guy is just an attention whore who says crazy poo poo to be on TV, or if he's actually legit crazy.
Closing down his hateful church of bigotry and turning it into an LGBT safe house is the ultimate troll though.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Mendicant
Sep 22, 2015

by zen death robot
she should be the one behind the big desk...

and whatever his name should at best have been a correspondant

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
She said she didn't want it. It's more work and it's a career rut she didn't want to dig herself into at her young age.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
There's also the fact that even though we'd probably like the show more if it had a more passionate host than Noah, the media dialogue would STILL be "WE MISS JON STEWART" and make it all about Jon Stewart despite the fact that Joliver and Colbert were better TV hosts and Samantha Bee took some obviously very important producers/writers from the show.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

The Daily/Nightly Show 2016: Trevor Noah is a Worthless Piece of poo poo and I Hate Him

I'm not in this camp, I just figure if we put it in the thread title, maybe people will be less likely to poo poo up the thread with their non-stop whining. It is aggressively boring.

Mendicant
Sep 22, 2015

by zen death robot
trump should send noah back to africa in shackles

rjryan3
Oct 10, 2012

Mendicant posted:

trump should send noah back to africa in shackles

Wow, gently caress you.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

rjryan3 posted:

Wow, gently caress you.

Looked at his post history. It's all posts in the Republican primary thread (thoroughly peppered with racism and homophobia). What a shocker. :jerkbag:

rjryan3
Oct 10, 2012

Pillow Hat posted:

Looked at his post history. It's all posts in the Republican primary thread (thoroughly peppered with racism and homophobia). What a shocker. :jerkbag:

Oh! So he never liked the Daily Show in the first place. Good to know.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Holy fuckballs that Jessica Williams bit was amazing

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

That fuckin' guy clearly has significant mental illness. Sounds like either schizophrenia or delusional disorder or something. He has almost no grasp on reality whatsoever.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Pillow Hat posted:

That fuckin' guy clearly has significant mental illness. Sounds like either schizophrenia or delusional disorder or something. He has almost no grasp on reality whatsoever.

Yeah I'm gonna wait for the news that he had to be carried out forcibly when the day comes.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Echo Chamber posted:

Specific issues?

The two the pop into my head first (besides his Wall Street ties), is his embrace of education "reform" and his opposition to Obama's Iran deal a few months back. Those aren't the most objectionable things if I pull back, but those things are what sticks out first to me considering how well he's able to state his progressive positions on social issues.

Granted maybe I'm being too harsh in fully embracing neoliberal bashing. I might not be checking my contrarian mentality enough.

Not to really defend Booker, but a lot of the educational "reform" stuff does seem to come from a genuine place. It's misguided and is probably just going to make things worse, but it seems like it's coming from the same place as your friend who's just going on their gut instinct and is against the less intuitive aspects of sovereign state economics. I know that when I first heard some of their ideas I at first thought there might be something to that, because it was really truthy, in a non-pejorative way. Then I looked at arguments against it and read more on it and came to a different conclusion. Yes, it's people like Corey Booker's job to actually understand this poo poo, but it seems pretty easy to think you've got a grasp on something like that and it just turn out all your aids are loving idiots and you were to stupid to realize.

On the Wall Street, Iran, and Chris Christie front, I don't want to say that he should get the benefit of the doubt, but there is a certain measure of Senators representing their dumb state. Every Senator should definitely have their positions and records held against them, but there should also probably be some level of mitigation where they're allowed to change position without too much distrust on issues that they would have otherwise been a poor Senator had they not supported.

I don't really want him running for or being appointed to anything higher than Senior Senator from New Jersey, personally. Hopefully he can get that prison reform bill through one day, it seemed like it was actually pretty decent.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Dear micropenis havers: stop ruining everyone's fun.

Also I don't think Trevor needed to do the whole "no bodyshaming" thing, that was dumb.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Noah's done some savvy bits on pop culture and race.

I just hate his framing of the 2016 race. Its just softer and far less informed than Bee or Meyers.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Holy gently caress Ben Carson :staredog:

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I want to work for Boston Dynamic's Robot Bullying Division. I already meet the most important criteria.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
For those who still care, last night's Nightly directly dealt with criticism over that Bill Nye panel.

Basically, Bill Nye appeared and told people to chill out. This wasn't the first time Nye appeared on the show since the panel; I don't think they needed to address the backlash.

Fake edit: Okay, this Martian parody plays out as expected but I find it funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Looks like there's a Jon Stewart hit piece going around blaming The Daily Show for the rise of Donald Trump. Because that's the reason Trump's doing so well. I'm won't bother linking to it, because you can probably guess how it plays out.

Oh bloggers. Never change. :allears:

• Locked thread