Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Andy Dufresne posted:

I have a family member who was on probation for a class III or IIIA felony in Omaha, NE (domestic violence). He was caught violating probation at least twice, including having a beer can on the coffee table and having contact with the victim, but he hadn't yet had a court date for the violations. His original conviction was up to 5 years, and after his first violation his PD said he would probably get 1 year if he did everything right (he didn't). Now, he cut off his ankle bracelet and he's a fugitive.

Any defense attorneys have a spitball shot at how much time in prison he's looking at? I'd assume at least 2 years from the original charge + whatever from his new charges. Nobody in the family is harboring him or anything, we'd very much prefer that he be found.

Googling reveals that a class IIIA carries up to 5 and a class III carries up to 20. If his probation is revoked he can serve up to the maximum for the offense in prison.

Whether he'd get less and how that amount would be determined I expect will be dependent on the local jurisdiction, local judge, local DA, local defense counsel and your relative's circumstances. His PD will have a better idea than anyone else here.

From what you wrote, I don't see any new charges, though NE's escape statute might consider cutting off the monitor as an escape. Whether it is, and whether he would be charged seems unlikely though.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Feb 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Jack Gladney posted:

Legit working on it. I might even sell my soul soon for $100k a year like my friend who was an ethicist but now helps make drones.

Ooh, I'm an ethicist trapped in academia- can I get in on that?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
What the poo poo did he use to cut off an ankle bracelet? I thought those things were pretty hard to remove.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die

Cowslips Warren posted:

What the poo poo did he use to cut off an ankle bracelet? I thought those things were pretty hard to remove.

He's a mechanic so there was a garage full of tools at his disposal. He removed a cast on his own a while back too.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

Ooh, I'm an ethicist trapped in academia- can I get in on that?

Do you have some experience with programming? Are you comfortable socializing with engineers? Don't mind working for defense contractors programming murder machines? It's a growth field.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
You sound like the life of the party.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Jack Gladney posted:

Do you have some experience with programming? Are you comfortable socializing with engineers? Don't mind working for defense contractors programming murder machines? It's a growth field.

I bet he voted Obama too. lol

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

spacetoaster posted:

I bet he voted Obama too. lol

He says that he can't justify his work itself, but his wife is a social worker and he has a small child and he loves them and needs to make their lives better in order to live with himself. It's a good argument and I wouldn't challenge him on that. My poverty is an indulgence because nobody depends on or expects anything from me.

MonkeyBot
Mar 11, 2005

OMG ITZ MONKEYBOT

Jack Gladney posted:

He says that he can't justify his work itself, but his wife is a social worker and he has a small child and he loves them and needs to make their lives better in order to live with himself. It's a good argument and I wouldn't challenge him on that. My poverty is an indulgence because nobody depends on or expects anything from me.

I'll program death machines. I have flexible moral character. Gonna need to be a bit more than $100k though especially if a move is required. Defense contractors make money hand over fist the should be able to afford more.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Jack Gladney posted:

He says that he can't justify his work itself, but his wife is a social worker and he has a small child and he loves them and needs to make their lives better in order to live with himself.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

At least it's not collections.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

MonkeyBot posted:

I'll program death machines. I have flexible moral character. Gonna need to be a bit more than $100k though especially if a move is required. Defense contractors make money hand over fist the should be able to afford more.

A lot of Ph.D.s also escape away into consulting, helping big corporations figure out how to save money on labor by taking away the dental plan and switching everybody to part time and soforth.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Dental...plan....

Jack: go to law school.

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

Cowslips Warren posted:

All you need is time and determination. Decent tools help.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Six more years of school just to arrive at the brink of another overcrowded profession full of big egos and esoteric rituals?

I'll think about it. Literally just got the Ph.D. like two months ago.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

Jack Gladney posted:

Six more years of school just to arrive at the brink of another overcrowded profession full of big egos and esoteric rituals?

don't go, you'll die alone just like the regulars in this thread. hth

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Jack Gladney posted:

It's only three years. Four or five if you night school it while working.

But don't do it. You'll spend six figures to work 80-hour weeks making not that much more than you could with an undergrad degree.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Sounds just like teaching, except instead of going into debt I merely lost 7 years of income.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Oh you were a grad student when you got over paid. You're lucky they didn't hold your degree.

My wife went into administration after her phd. It's 9-5, she earns less than faculty but more than adjunct, and she doesn't work nights/weekends or worry about publishing. Academia is loving criminal the way they treat employees/graduate students.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Based on everything I hear about ph.ds, everyone should get ph.ds in entomology instead of whatever you did get it in.
My mom's (well regarded) department seens hard up for tenture track people, plus there are a bunch of other govt jobs. Or you can sell you soul for big bux at monsanto.
Though this would all change if 20 more people became ph.d candidates at top level schools, so maybe don't. But really don't go to law school.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Jack Gladney posted:

I'm still in the PhD program, sadly- otherwise I'd be qualified, with limited programming experience. Justifying murder is actually one of my specialties!

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I think this Kesha thing has me wondering about relief for broken contracts. Generally, your relief is limited to what you would have had if the contract had been upheld, right? So if someone doesn't do what you paid them for, you sue them and demand what, your money back or that they do what you paid them to do?

What about negotiated settlements that involve an NDA or paying less than what is owed? If someone takes the payment but doesn't stick to the terms, what generally happens?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

NancyPants posted:

I think this Kesha thing has me wondering about relief for broken contracts. Generally, your relief is limited to what you would have had if the contract had been upheld, right? So if someone doesn't do what you paid them for, you sue them and demand what, your money back or that they do what you paid them to do?

Yes. You can ask for both, although "do what you paid them to do" (commonly known as specific performance) is more limited under US law to cases where money is not good enough to compensate the non-breaching party (such as in a contract to sell specific land).

NancyPants posted:

What about negotiated settlements that involve an NDA or paying less than what is owed? If someone takes the payment but doesn't stick to the terms, what generally happens?

2 options depending on how things worked out. Either file a motion for contempt of court for violating the court-entered settlement agreement, or file a new breach of contract action.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

ulmont posted:

file a motion for contempt of court for violating the court-entered settlement agreement

That's kind of interesting; in some jurisdictions that would essentially turn a civil matter into a criminal matter, no? Where else do you see that mechanism besides court-ordered fines and the like?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

NancyPants posted:

That's kind of interesting; in some jurisdictions that would essentially turn a civil matter into a criminal matter, no? Where else do you see that mechanism besides court-ordered fines and the like?

No, contempt is a ministerial thing. It stays in the same Court with the same judge.

Also, a settlement agreement and an NDA are contracts too, so failure to uphold their terms would be another breach, and another lawsuit.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

blarzgh posted:

No, contempt is a ministerial thing. It stays in the same Court with the same judge.

Also, a settlement agreement and an NDA are contracts too, so failure to uphold their terms would be another breach, and another lawsuit.

But doesn't criminal contempt of court exist if you just blatantly disregard the ruling of the court? I understand it doesn't change the initial matter.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

NancyPants posted:

The whole kesha thing is stupid because the media reports a denial of a stay as if she lost the case. The case hasn't even started.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

nm posted:

The whole kesha thing is stupid because the media reports a denial of a stay as if she lost the case. The case hasn't even started.

It's kind of the same thing. The case will take years and during that time she will have to adhere to the contract. Assuming this is the peak of her career (and it probably is) then by the time the case gets resolved the damage will have been done.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

It's kind of the same thing. The case will take years and during that time she will have to adhere to the contract. Assuming this is the peak of her career (and it probably is) then by the time the case gets resolved the damage will have been done.

Those are basically never granted because the burden is very, very high.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

NancyPants posted:

But doesn't criminal contempt of court exist if you just blatantly disregard the ruling of the court? I understand it doesn't change the initial matter.

I don't know what "criminal contempt of court" is, or if it's a thing.

A violation of a penal statute is a crime. I'm not aware of a penal code section that makes contempt of court a crime. Contempt of Court is a finding by a civil court judge, under the rules of civil procedure, and enforceable by the same via sanctions.

Sanctions for contempt can be fines, injunction, or sequestration (throw yo rear end in jail till you get to mind right.)

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Is there any limit on how long sequestration can last if the mind is never right? Anyone ever stayed there for life?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

blarzgh posted:

I don't know what "criminal contempt of court" is, or if it's a thing.

A violation of a penal statute is a crime. I'm not aware of a penal code section that makes contempt of court a crime. Contempt of Court is a finding by a civil court judge, under the rules of civil procedure, and enforceable by the same via sanctions.

Sanctions for contempt can be fines, injunction, or sequestration (throw yo rear end in jail till you get to mind right.)

Contempt can be criminal in California at least. Penal code 166 is one of several sections that punish contempt. Pc 166 is a misdo except in some circumstances.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

nm posted:

Contempt can be criminal in California at least. Penal code 166 is one of several sections that punish contempt. Pc 166 is a misdo except in some circumstances.

Same in Georgia. If you are being fined or whatever *until you comply* then that's civil contempt. If you are just being fined or thrown in jail for contempt, that's criminal ($500 fine and 20 days in jail in Georgia, normally).

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
In Louisiana the two are distinguished as "direct" and "constructive." With direct contempt being something done in the presence of the court like fighting in the courtroom or insulting the judge, or failure to comply with a subpoena. The court can summarily find someone guilty and sentence them without any trial or other due process.

Constructive contempt is broader and includes things like refusing to comply with a court order or judgment, abuse of process, or improper contact with the jury. It requires due process and a trial. The judge can then impose a sentence or jail the person until they comply, if the contempt is ongoing.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
In Texas, I deal only with Civil contempt. Our rules of civil procedure require only a finding by the Court, and a written ruling, as far as I know. 99 times out of 100, our contempt sanctions are $$.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

In Louisiana the two are distinguished as "direct" and "constructive." With direct contempt being something done in the presence of the court like fighting in the courtroom or insulting the judge, or failure to comply with a subpoena. The court can summarily find someone guilty and sentence them without any trial or other due process.

Constructive contempt is broader and includes things like refusing to comply with a court order or judgment, abuse of process, or improper contact with the jury. It requires due process and a trial. The judge can then impose a sentence or jail the person until they comply, if the contempt is ongoing.

Oklahoma has the same, called "direct" and "indirect" contempt. They are both found in the criminal code. (Which isn't determinative. Contempt is quasi-criminal.)

NancyPants posted:

But doesn't criminal contempt of court exist if you just blatantly disregard the ruling of the court?

Blatant (i.e., open) disregard of a ruling would be indirect contempt, unless the ruling was pertaining to the judge keeping order in the courtroom - like ordering you to sit down or to be quiet - then it would be direct contempt.

doverhog posted:

Is there any limit on how long sequestration can last if the mind is never right? Anyone ever stayed there for life?

14 years is the record.
Not sure what you mean by 'mind is never right.'

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Neat to see how it works in different places.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

I have what I expect is probably an easy one.

I live in Houston, just bought a brand new car Saturday (possibly irrelevant) and today I was on the freeway and saw a rock bouncing towards me from a cement truck in the adjacent lane and a few car lengths ahead of me. It bounced twice then I heard a thunk, but the trajectory made me think it had hit somewhere other than a body panel, like the undercarriage or the inside of the wheel well. I couldn't really stop, being on the far left lane of a major freeway at 3:00 in the afternoon, so I headed back to the office. At the end of the work day I figured out that it had actually glanced off my A pillar and left a bit of a ding in the surface of the paint. I've got a dash cam, and will be able to see the stone bouncing near me, not sure if the path the stone took from the truck will be clear, but do I even have much of a leg to stand on? I can post the clip if needed, figured I'd ask first.

I've been searching, but I keep finding arguments in the form of threads, sorted independently by state.

Oddhair fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Feb 26, 2016

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Oddhair posted:

I have what I expect is probably an easy one.

I live in Houston, just bought a brand new car Saturday (possibly irrelevant) and today I was on the freeway and saw a rock bouncing towards me from a cement truck in the adjacent lane and a few car lengths ahead of me. It bounced twice then I heard a thunk, but the trajectory made me think it had hit somewhere other than a body panel, like the undercarriage or the inside of the wheel well. I couldn't really stop, being on the far left lane of a major freeway at 3:00 in the afternoon, so I headed back to the office. At the end of the work day I figured out that it had actually glanced off my A pillar and left a bit of a ding in the surface of the paint. I've got a dash cam, and will be able to see the stone bouncing near me, not sure if the path the stone took from the truck will be clear, but do I even have much of a leg to stand on? I can post the clip if needed, figured I'd ask first.

I've been searching, but I keep finding arguments in the form of threads, sorted independently by state.

Suing someone for chipped paint sounds like a really good idea!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Yeah that's a "poo poo happens" situation. The cost you'd expend in winning and collecting aren't worth it. Probably not worth the insurance claim either.