Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Someone remind me why Marissa Meyer left a good job at google for this shitshow.

No one's going to blame you if Yahoo goes bankrupt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Someone remind me why Marissa Meyer left a good job at google for this shitshow.
Golden parachuting her way to millions.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Better to reign in the clownhouse than serve in heaven.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

She got reorged out of power at Google and got an insane amount of non-refundable money from Yahoo, with a hefty golden parachute.

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2012/07/27/adding-up-marissa-mayers-pay-at-yahoo/

computer parts posted:

No one's going to blame you if Yahoo goes bankrupt.
Nope, this is going to hang around her neck forever. She made very visible big bets that went bad; when you go from "sliding slowly down the drain" to "worthless except for shares in a company you don't control", people remember. See also the way Carly Fiorina hosed up at HP.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Feb 26, 2016

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Dolla Dolla Billz ya'll

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

archangelwar posted:

Having worked closely with them and aborted the interview process due to discovering their toxic culture and philosophy, I can confirm that it is the latter but internalized in a way as to be seen as a very very very good thing.

Hot drat. I wish I remembered enough German to find the word midway between "impressed" and "horrified".

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008
I can't say that I know what Yahoo should have done differently. Microsoft might wish they could go back in time and drop the Bing stuff and make the first smartphone OS. Yahoo would want to go back in time and ...?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Accepted the bid from Microsoft in 08.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Phyzzle posted:

I can't say that I know what Yahoo should have done differently. Microsoft might wish they could go back in time and drop the Bing stuff and make the first smartphone OS. Yahoo would want to go back in time and ...?
The correct answer is "Sell when they were worth something".

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Phyzzle posted:

Buy out Google when they first started. Larry and Sergey tried to sell PageRank to all the big search engines at first. They had the capital to do it, but they considered search a small, relatively unimportant part of their business, so they thought what they had was good enough.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Run for president in 8 years

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
MS developing a Smartphone OS would have been terrible terrible. They just wouldn't have the UI know-how that crazy Old Man Jobs had. And their hardware would have been shiiiiiiiiit.

Not to mention having to put your phone away for 20 minutes while WinDOS updates drivers and poo poo.

Yahoo could have tried to sell enterprise Email and undercut Outlook. Otherwise it's just sell while the brand means half a poo poo.

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Remember how yahoo bought Flickr I wonder how that worked out for them

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Konstantin posted:

Buy out Google when they first started. Larry and Sergey tried to sell PageRank to all the big search engines at first. They had the capital to do it, but they considered search a small, relatively unimportant part of their business, so they thought what they had was good enough.
This is pretty hind-sight-y. Few back then thought Google had much of an edge in that space and anyone claiming they knew otherwise who isn't mega-rich you can call safely call liars. And probably a few of the mega-rich ones.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

If I were Yahoo way back when I would have gone the route the telecoms have and try to buy/control entire media pipelines instead of spending 15 years too long being a web portal.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

FilthyImp posted:

MS developing a Smartphone OS would have been terrible terrible. They just wouldn't have the UI know-how that crazy Old Man Jobs had. And their hardware would have been shiiiiiiiiit.

Not to mention having to put your phone away for 20 minutes while WinDOS updates drivers and poo poo.

I don't buy that. Probably writing cell phone operating systems is easier than writing Windows. Smartphone OS programmers were/are in a great situation where they didn't have to worry about backwards compatibility and maintaining compatibility with many different hardware configurations. Also, mobile operating systems have way less features and functionality than the old desktop OSes too.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

silence_kit posted:

Smartphone OS programmers were/are in a great situation where they didn't have to worry about backwards compatibility and maintaining compatibility with many different hardware configurations.
This is MS under Bill Gates though. Notorious for asking 'but how does this allow us to sell more Office'.

Plus, I had one of those PocketOS phones from, like, a year before the iPhone hit. It was a mini version of Windows, with a little start menu, that lost all settings and basically factory reset if the battery went dead. There was an SD card port that could be used to add a WiFi card, but you had to install the driver on the phone by hooking it into your PC and poo poo.

It always felt like an inferior version of Windows.

IPhone not fragmenting its hardware, and later having apps run like programs on a regular computer, without having to worry about hardware problems, was like a revelation after that thing.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Phyzzle posted:

I'm not a business analyst or particularly hawkeyed following them, but as a person in advertising who sat through their presentations one key one comes off the top of my head. You are a digital business, and digital business killed the magazine business. Why would you spend hundreds of millions on magazines? The others would be; sell out to Microsoft in 2008, don't buy tumblr, don't have a terrible website layout, don't have terrible digital tech/tech integration, don't gently caress up your app, and don't gently caress up your video service.

Edit: Firing employees based on the basis of a bell curve system is phenomenally stupid. When Scott Adams can make fun of you, and did so decades before this plan came into existence, you have severely hosed up.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Feb 26, 2016

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Jumpingmanjim posted:

She's going to make close to half a billion dollars running Yahoo (further) into the ground.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Microsoft used to make pocket pc pdas that could have phones integrated into them- I used to see them at Circuit Court all the time, even considered one when I bought my old hp iPaq. Does that not count as a smartphone?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Barudak posted:

Edit: Firing employees based on the basis of a bell curve system is phenomenally stupid. When Scott Adams can make fun of you, and did so decades before this plan came into existence, you have severely hosed up.

Google does it. That's why Mayer thinks it's a good idea. Google stack ranks *every quarter*.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Guess you need to keep the HR people busy with something.

I think our school system had something like stack ranking for awhile, because everyone knew just a set % of students could get the top grades - so teachers felt forced to only give out a certain number of the highest grades to keep to that average :downs:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Google does it. That's why Mayer thinks it's a good idea.

Does Google let people work remotely? Wasn't shutting that down one of Mayer's bets?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Doc Hawkins posted:

Does Google let people work remotely? Wasn't shutting that down one of Mayer's bets?

Google lets sales work remotely, but that sales and I don't know the rest of the business.

Mayer did shut down telecommuting, suspiciously right after she wrapped up maternity leave and no longer needed it. Well that and also building a nursery for only her child next to her office.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

max4me posted:

Remember how yahoo bought Flickr I wonder how that worked out for them

They ruined the UI 3 years ago

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
Yahoo's history is a comedy of unforced errors https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Yahoo!

Yahoo search ads are dirt cheap and are helping me hit my numbers, so there's that, though the platform is vastly under-developed compared to AdWords.

I used to use their weather app but they ruined that.

Microsoft should buy it for a bag of nickels. If Mayer does take it private, she's just going to Joker all that investor cash.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
It was a consistent August treat for the last ~10 years to go to the Yahoo page to find fantasy football again and dear god the visual chaos. If a company decided to not buy Yahoo for $1 out of a superstitious fear that a design contagion could spread into their company I wouldn't blame them.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Pope Guilty posted:

Microsoft used to make pocket pc pdas that could have phones integrated into them- I used to see them at Circuit Court all the time, even considered one when I bought my old hp iPaq. Does that not count as a smartphone?

They were smartphones a good 7-8 years before the iphone showed up. It is really weird to see so many people forget that.
The OS was very terrible. Literally windows shrunk to a 2.4" screen with start menu and application borders and tiny close buttons. There were 3 ways to install apps and none of them worked. They were popular and are still in use for business applications such as scanners in warehouses and dispatch services.
Windows CE was a thing, just not a very good thing.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
MS hosed up by abandoning any pretense of business use with WP7 and tried to make an iPhone. I mean why bother leveraging your gigantic monopoly on business use at all.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

NihilismNow posted:

They were smartphones a good 7-8 years before the iphone showed up. It is really weird to see so many people forget that.
The OS was very terrible. Literally windows shrunk to a 2.4" screen with start menu and application borders and tiny close buttons. There were 3 ways to install apps and none of them worked. They were popular and are still in use for business applications such as scanners in warehouses and dispatch services.
Windows CE was a thing, just not a very good

They were forgotten probably because they were entirely terrible. iPhone and to a lesser extent android marked the beginning of sane ui for smartphones that made using them not a terrible chore.

MS certainly was able to envision the idea of tiny ultraportable computers in the vein of smartphones, but they were completely unable to design an interface and use pattern that didn't leverage Windows heavily and that's why they failed to capture the market

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

MS's insistence on unity of branding and form has screwed them over and over and over. When they finally opened their eyes to what a good touchscreen OS needs they tried to push it back to desktop, resulting in the abortion that was Windows 8

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Condiv posted:

MS's insistence on unity of branding and form has screwed them over and over and over. When they finally opened their eyes to what a good touchscreen OS needs they tried to push it back to desktop, resulting in the abortion that was Windows 8

I haven't really thought of that, but it's loving true.
MS in 2002 insisted on shoving a desktop UI into a mobile device and it was poo poo.
MS in 2012 insisted on shoving a mobile UI into a desktop device and it was poo poo.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

IMO MS's insistence on unity of form most likely extends from a mistaken understanding of what powers the sales of Windows. They mistakenly believe they have strong brand loyalty when in fact all the little moves they made to lock customers in holds customers hostage to the Windows platform ( that and inertia). It's why their forays into other markets keep failing when MS doesn't have those aspects to lean on

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I really love that choice, and I'm not sure if I'd prefer it to be tongue-in-cheek or, somehow, a perfectly straight-faced misunderstanding of the source material.

"You know what's a good name for a surveillance company and government contractor? The once-legitimate observation and telecommunications devices that are now used by an imperialist megalomaniac to watch from afar and corrupt the minds of the weak with promises and threats."

Not only that, but every time the palantir is used it actually reveals things in such a way that even though they are true, they are misinterpreted. When Saruman uses it he sees how powerful Sauron is and switches sides, Denethor tried to look into Mordor and despaired that they'd never win against Sauron's forces, Pippin looked in it and Sauron mistakenly thought it was because he had the ring, and finally I think Aragorn shows it something wrong on purpose to trick Sauron into not looking for Frodo. I remember encountering them in the military and really being puzzled at their choice of name.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Palantir employees really don't like it when you bring that stuff up.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Doc Hawkins posted:

IIRC you can take WAH days, but you can't be hired as a telecommuter. "The refrigerator repairman is coming", yes; "I don't want to live in Palo Alto", no.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
There are telecommuting workers, but they're rare.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

I thought Google got rid of stack ranking?

Also my understanding is that the no telecommuting thing at Google is often for security purposes. A lot of their source code and data can't leave the building for very good reasons.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

She got reorged out of power at Google and got an insane amount of non-refundable money from Yahoo, with a hefty golden parachute.

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2012/07/27/adding-up-marissa-mayers-pay-at-yahoo/

Nope, this is going to hang around her neck forever. She made very visible big bets that went bad; when you go from "sliding slowly down the drain" to "worthless except for shares in a company you don't control", people remember. See also the way Carly Fiorina hosed up at HP.

I thought they were already worth more on paper than in stock when she was brought on, no? Granted, her buying a bunch of garbage for too much money just made that worse, but still, she just failed to stop the inevitable rather than taking an OK company and loving it over.

E: also lol that people don't remember that there were MS smartphones for about a decade before there was a usable iPhone worth buying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Munkeymon posted:

I thought they were already worth more on paper than in stock when she was brought on, no? Granted, her buying a bunch of garbage for too much money just made that worse, but still, she just failed to stop the inevitable rather than taking an OK company and loving it over.

If I recall correctly, she didn't get options, she got actual stock. Even with the stock falling, that's still millions, and the golden parachute is in money, not stock.