Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

kirbysuperstar posted:

The gamepad controls are REALLY loving bad and I'd avoid using them if at all possible. The more 'simple' classes would be better for it because you need to do a lot of button juggling.

Well I just got into the game the other night and due to my dual monitor setup I keep losing my mouse when I try to turn right so I was considering going gamepad, but I guess not now :/

I'm having fun with it, but I'm still in the hopping zombie area and haven't really gotten a chance to play yet, so we'll see what this weekend decides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

I wouldn't say the gamepad controls are horrible. I play on gamepad and have a KFM and Summoner. Playing the game works fine for me, navigating UI stuff is a little clunky but acceptable (I tend to just use MKB if I need to do a lot of menu stuff, you can switch on the fly).

My biggest complaint is that getting CC'd in this game tends to lock your camera in place, so when you're PVPing and someone stuns you then sidesteps to your back, you have to spend a moment to reorient your camera. This moment of delay combined with the game's terrible targetting system means you're going to lose sometimes because you're busy wrestling with the camera.

There's a hotkey(LB+Back on gamepad or Middle Click(?) on MKB) that unlinks the camera with the way you're facing so you can do stuff like run in one direction while orienting the camera in another. This lets you spin the camera around at all times even if you're stunned. The problem is that your skills will still fire in the direction your character is facing, rather than where the camera is facing. You have to get used to strafing left and right really quick to make your character turn around before firing your skills, but it's still weird to me.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

HapiMerchant posted:

Look at it this way. the only bots that are outright hurting NCSoft's bottom line are the ones spamming gold seller sites. They understand naturally that people dont want bots in the game so they work on a response but it's not the highest of high priorities, in my mind. I'd wager an initial ban wave by about oh, a week after WL release at latest

Also, there is no such thing as an f2p game without bots. Hell, Pay to play and Sub to play games like WoW and BDO have bots. It's just a thing now.
Of course every MMO ever has had bots. The difference here is that I've never seen one where they could not only participate in PVP, but also cheat with the same tools a hacker would use and be horrifyingly effective in the process. I'm not talking about free kill destroyer bots, I'm talking about the rarer but ridiculous ones (and the KFM bots that are emerging more recently) that can't turn their back, are functionally immune to CCs and instantly recover from all knockdowns by bypassing game mechanics. To me, this is infinitely more deleterious to the gameplay experience than the economy getting dicked around between ban waves.

I understand it's a tough problem to fix and impossible to completely eradicate as per the KR version, but they've been relatively mum about it and it's a really massive problem that's loving up a lot of people's experience and that muted response is shaking confidence in the game's longterm prospects among the playerbase.

TheRationalRedditor fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Feb 26, 2016

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Rylek posted:

Isn't that the sword from the Crimson PvP Faction? I can't check right now but it seems familiar.

Crimson PVP weapons are much thicker but have the same colour scheme

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

nullscan posted:

Well I just got into the game the other night and due to my dual monitor setup I keep losing my mouse when I try to turn right so I was considering going gamepad, but I guess not now :/

I'm having fun with it, but I'm still in the hopping zombie area and haven't really gotten a chance to play yet, so we'll see what this weekend decides.

To eliminate the "loss of mouse" problem, just alt-tab out of and back into the game once when you first get into it; for some reason it doesn't "take" the mouse on its own but will when switched to.

What I do wish they'd implement in this game is the ability to set up and save control profiles like they do for character presets, that way you can change every single button mapping if you feel like it and be able to export it to different computers/etc. and also revert easily. I feel like this game would translate to keyboard-only control really well (especially if you could increase turn sensitivity or even do a 180 at the press of a button), but I also feel like figuring out how to make that work really well would be a pain in the rear end without the ability to try out a lot of different setups.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

TheRationalRedditor posted:

I'm not talking about free kill destroyer bots, I'm talking about the rarer but ridiculous ones (and the KFM bots that are emerging more recently) that can't turn their back, are functionally immune to CCs and instantly recover from all knockdowns by bypassing game mechanics.

is this like, actually a thing that exists, because a lot of people are talking about it but a lot of it seems to be people who don't actually understand the game mechanics (like I see a lot of people complaining about "bots that track you in stealth" - you can actually see a faint shade of a player in stealth, that's an intended game mechanic)

I mean yes you can macro a lot of animation cancelling stuff and get ~perfect rotations~ but as far as I know that's pretty much it? I don't think there is such a thing as a bot that can play perfect arena PVP for you.

Someone linked this though which seems screwy, I dunno if it's actually a legit exploit or if it's just A Thing Summoners Do:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eg4yPi4cSNw

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Feb 26, 2016

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

TheFluff posted:

Someone linked this though which seems screwy, I dunno if it's actually a legit exploit or if it's just A Thing Summoners Do:

They're blasting Sunflower non-stop with zero regards to focus, so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glnqlvH45LI

Here you can see a KFM auto track a stealthed ASN while countering on the way to them, turning around to face them while strung up, breaking out of CC impossibly, etc.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

kirbysuperstar posted:

They're blasting Sunflower non-stop with zero regards to focus, so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glnqlvH45LI

Here you can see a KFM auto track a stealthed ASN while countering on the way to them, turning around to face them while strung up, breaking out of CC impossibly, etc.

All right so it's an exploit. But is it a bot? Camera exploit/turning while CC'd sure, that's most likely exploits, but I dunno if I'd accept that that is a computer playing the game. Programming a bot with AI that complex seems prohibitively difficult.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

TheFluff posted:

is this like, actually a thing that exists, because a lot of people are talking about it but a lot of it seems to be people who don't actually understand the game mechanics (like I see a lot of people complaining about "bots that track you in stealth" - you can actually see a faint shade of a player in stealth, that's an intended game mechanic)

I mean yes you can macro a lot of animation cancelling stuff and get ~perfect rotations~ but as far as I know that's pretty much it? I don't think there is such a thing as a bot that can play perfect arena PVP for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eg4yPi4cSNw
Game mechanics? "Never showing their back" means characters that are literally turning to face their opponent through all roots and holds at all times including assassin web throws, but this is a fundamental feature of every single bot program in PVP, not just the blatantly hacking ones. It's impossible to not notice if you've been doing any arena at all.

And yeah weirdly it turns out invisible summoners with infinite chi and a cooldown-free sunflower that constantly phase out of being able to be targeted isn't working as intended.

TheRationalRedditor fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Feb 26, 2016

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
This game is just overrun with bots. They are either farming world bosses or hacking in the arena, running cross server dungeons or teleporting around doing dailies. I have never seen this many of em at once.

Krilion
Nov 24, 2015

BombiTheZombie posted:

This game is just overrun with bots. They are either farming world bosses or hacking in the arena, running cross server dungeons or teleporting around doing dailies. I have never seen this many of em at once.

I havn't seen any, but there's so much opportunity. If you can sell 2g for 1USD, you can almost make minimum wage right now, then add bots...

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

MMOs are truly the genre designed for mindless automata.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

BombiTheZombie posted:

chumbler posted:

MMOs are truly the genre designed for mindless automata.

don't worry, the level 50 patch will fix everything (sometime in the next 3 months)

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Minorkos posted:

don't worry, the level 50 patch will fix everything (sometime in the next 3 months)
Sarcasm aside, Babbletr0n did mention they have some anti-bot measures going in for the Warlock update next week. We'll see how those work I guess.

Also at this point I would expect the lv50 patch on April 6th, when the current Daily Dash ends.

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

Thanks guys, you've helped me attain my final form:

It turns out that the sword can be bought from both crimson camps in the Cinderlands, but while the second one requires fewer insignias, its insignias take a lot longer to get and you also have to be a higher rank to make the exchange for some reason, so definitely go to the one in the middle of the desert if you just want your weapon without grinding faction stuff.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Willie Trombone posted:

It turns out that the sword can be bought from both crimson camps in the Cinderlands, but while the second one requires fewer insignias, its insignias take a lot longer to get and you also have to be a higher rank to make the exchange for some reason, so definitely go to the one in the middle of the desert if you just want your weapon without grinding faction stuff.

is this kind of posting considered normal in MMO HMO

jesus

anyway i'm about to kill myself with this blade master pvp poo poo so i think i will either quit for a month or roll a KFM which seems like blade master except actually sort of good

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Yes, dress up is the end game for most people in MMOs.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

If the choices are pretty princess chat or whining about pvp bullshit I will take the former every time.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Willie Trombone posted:

Well the sword looks cool but more to the point I'm impressed you managed to actually color coordinate 'Showgirl' with something else!

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvHwqvfCac0

this is some sick+nasty poo poo, look at those disgusting 75-0 combos near the end

if you have that 300g lightning draw skillbook that one skill can crit for over 11k damage on a dazed/stunned target, it's kinda bananas

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Feb 28, 2016

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

It's fun to stand by a one player dungeon entrance and watch the bots come out, run to exactly the same point, and then run back in.

:rip: this game.

Monster Mash
Sep 11, 2001

TheFluff posted:

if you have that 300g lightning draw skillbook that one skill can crit for over 11k damage on a dazed/stunned target, it's kinda bananas

BM Hongmoon book goes for 500+ on NA (most expensive, Warlock is 2nd)

LBM goes for ~300

Although BM book sold for 280 and I wish I was that lucky guy who bought it :suicide:

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
It's a shame NCSoft just gives 0 fucks about the bots because the combat in this game is some of the best I've ever seen in an MMO.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Extra posted:

It's a shame NCSoft just gives 0 fucks about the bots because the combat in this game is some of the best I've ever seen in an MMO.

They just banned a shitton of people earlier this week apparently, I've seen a lot of people hurf a durf about how they totally weren't using any macros and it's unfair.

NotThatAwful
Sep 28, 2014
Still any goon left in Old Man Cho server? Can't find a single soul to invite me.

Monster Mash
Sep 11, 2001

Hail
Lightning
Satan

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

rank 155 and still in gold :rolleye:

i only need more 400 gold for the absolutely vital pvp blade master skill book, then i'll make diamond for sure

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Feb 28, 2016

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
this game's music loving owns

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

Yeah, this game's music manages to be awesome even though it's pretty much all thematically on-point... until you get into faction combat and suddenly dubstep.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Even then there's a bunch of buttrock (like Huren, Poharan and Chef Tae Jangum's music) to say nothing of 2.0's music. It's all very good though.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Yeah I really like a lot of the ambient tracks. The arena's generic kor-screamo garbage, on the other hand

shwag
Apr 23, 2008

NotThatAwful posted:

Still any goon left in Old Man Cho server? Can't find a single soul to invite me.

I never see anyone on maybe one or two people max. Maybe I'm on at the wrong time but if they have transfers some time soon I will probably move to the main server and guild. For a week there were people on but it's gone way way down. Its a really fun game, shame we don't have more goons on cho to actually run multiple groups of stuff so dudes can get pretty princess outfits and not have to deal with pubbies.

Monster Mash
Sep 11, 2001

shwag posted:

I never see anyone on maybe one or two people max. Maybe I'm on at the wrong time but if they have transfers some time soon I will probably move to the main server and guild. For a week there were people on but it's gone way way down. Its a really fun game, shame we don't have more goons on cho to actually run multiple groups of stuff so dudes can get pretty princess outfits and not have to deal with pubbies.

IDK how many people still use the MMO HMO BNS channel but you could always see if people wanted to do stuff cross-server with lobby rooms

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
The buttrock is alright, if generic. Most of the music has a real Final Fantasy/Chrono Trigger vibe to it, which is amazing.

Kuai
May 25, 2004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kU-3HSaQfx8 gonna be weird when metal gear rising OST starts up in the 50 patch

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Since OMC is apparently dead... what are the servers with active Goonmanship at the moment?

SansWetware
Oct 16, 2008
Man the upgrade requirements for weapons get really out of hand really quick. It's to such a degree that I stopped logging in when I saw what I was facing in terms of grind.

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

Buy my gold on the exchange, soon to be a dollar per gold (at 77 nCoin right now) :twisted:

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010

Kuai posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kU-3HSaQfx8 gonna be weird when metal gear rising OST starts up in the 50 patch

Holy gently caress, the guy who did the MGS: Revengeance soundtrack did this song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
how should I build my force master for PvE? I've just been doing Recommended Dungeon Fire all this time but I'm getting the feeling it's not cutting it. I'm level 38 so I'm not quite at that 45 HM 5 point where I can do those BnStree builds just yet, and I don't know what to drop. Someone help me figure this poo poo out.

• Locked thread