Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Palpek posted:

I totally did the tree quest before Crones on my first playthrough. When you explore the map early it's very likely to happen.
Yeah, I stumbled upon the tree a while before I did the mission too, I just left it alone because I didn't fully trust it.

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

I don't know, but in my own personal experience I typically design one or two different paths; we keep to a very strict design philosophy that the world needs to be logically consistent. If there's no good reason to put a lock on a door, we try not to do it. If it doesn't make sense for a character to just despawn until certain arbitrary conditions are met, we don't despawn them. And what's cool is that we're getting better at it, though it's very labour intensive.

A question for you guys, have there been any good games in the last 2-3 years that do quests like us? I've missed a ton of games in recent years and I'm wondering if there's stuff I didn't see. Doesn't need to be narratively deep or in the same style, I just mean, really complex scripted stuff.
While not exactly what you're talking about, Kentucky Route Zero is a must play. Unlike most games which try to copy movies KRZ is more based in literature and theater, Garcia Marquez and Faulkner being notable influences. It's a really beautiful game that while it doesn't let you change the plot, but you can shape who the characters and their pasts. It's like Witcher 3 in that both are far and above most video games in the writing department and take advantage of the medium narrative-wise.

Also Ghost Trick, while totally linear, is still a fantastic game because its writing is tight as hell with genuinely great twists, lovable characters, and a satisfying and conclusive ending.

Gone Home is also one of my favorite games as well because it leaves you to uncover the plot and the characters on your own and its really immersive.

Also seconding pretty much everything Megazver recommended, especially Undertale, 80 Days, Walking Dead Season 1, Shadowrun Dragonfall and HK, Sherlock Holmes, and Her Story.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Feb 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

I don't know, but in my own personal experience I typically design one or two different paths; we keep to a very strict design philosophy that the world needs to be logically consistent. If there's no good reason to put a lock on a door, we try not to do it. If it doesn't make sense for a character to just despawn until certain arbitrary conditions are met, we don't despawn them. And what's cool is that we're getting better at it, though it's very labour intensive.

A question for you guys, have there been any good games in the last 2-3 years that do quests like us? I've missed a ton of games in recent years and I'm wondering if there's stuff I didn't see. Doesn't need to be narratively deep or in the same style, I just mean, really complex scripted stuff.

If you just want complex scripted stuff I'd try Her Story, it's not anything like an action RPG, but it is a great example of the marriage between scripting and player intuition. You think of something as the player and, if it fits the narrative logic, the game decides how to react.

Plus it costs about 5 dollars and can run on anything with a microprocessor (for anyone else who hasn't tried it/doesn't normally game on their PC).

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.
It is on my wishlist so I haven't played it, but Unrest, I think, tries hard to be reactive. Reportedly it suffers a bit due to this and ends up being on the short side.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

I started NG+ but am considering just starting totally fresh because I kinda want to rediscover all the potions and stuff again. Would I be missing out on anything if I didnt do NG+? Then I can start a third game just before Blood and Wine is released.

I never seem to finish games any more because i get tired of the mechanics or something, but here I am fiending to get straight back in again.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Didn't even do Hearts of Stone on my main save, started a NG+ as well. I see no reason to not do it on Death March given how apparently absurdly OP Geralt can get in a NG+, and also, I realized that I did not finish the loving gwent quests and I didn't get a lot of cards because welp

I think the only thing NG+ really allows differently from a normal save is that you can become god-witcher.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Can you get the Death March trophy on NG+?

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Yeah I ended up starting fresh. I forgot about the Wolven Hour item, which i sold immediately. A I found a quest item I completely missed first time, the crystal crow skull, basically sitting within arms reach of the tree you wake up under.

Its weird having the alchemy tab in the inventory load instantly

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
When do you do the expansions stuff? When ever you complete the main quest, or when you have the levels to survive it?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

twistedmentat posted:

When do you do the expansions stuff? When ever you complete the main quest, or when you have the levels to survive it?

Both will pretty much come at the same time. It really doesn't matter that much.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Both will pretty much come at the same time. It really doesn't matter that much.

Okay, because I am clearing out the stuff I haven't been able to do in Velen and the last remaining ? and i'm taking out a lot of order of the flaming rose guys, and based on the books and notes, I assume these guys have something to do with the expansion.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Twobirds posted:

It is on my wishlist so I haven't played it, but Unrest, I think, tries hard to be reactive. Reportedly it suffers a bit due to this and ends up being on the short side.

Unrest manages to be pretty reactive yeah. It had a incredibly small budget though, and it shows.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

To answer the question, I cant think of any game that has got close to what this does for split reactive storylines. Not just in scope but also in execution.

Would Vesimir be a good character for a prequal type game? I havent read the books but based on the game he doesnt seem to have the baddass factor. It would be cool though to have Vesimir as the main character with teenage Lambert/Geralt/Eskel training under him, if he does have an interesting history...

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

RTS sequel where you play as a Zerg hivemind of drowners and must make tactical decisions about which of your three million identical underlings to sic on Geralt this week, and whether to employ them one at a time or the more devious two at a time.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Crappy Jack posted:

Geralt is just one man, and one man can't save all of Velen from itself. Philip Strenger either dies or leaves Velen. Geralt never finds out if he comes back or not, it's not covered in the game or its epilogues.

Dang, was kinda hoping it was covered somewhere what happened to him. I hope everything turned out ok :unsmith:

Speaking of sad quests, I got a man a black pearl tonight. :smith:

Lil Bit O Vitriol
Jan 10, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

Also, is old man narrator Dandelion the same voice actor as the narrator for the intro to the first Witcher game?

As few pages back but yeah, it is.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Capn Beeb posted:

Dang, was kinda hoping it was covered somewhere what happened to him. I hope everything turned out ok :unsmith:

Speaking of sad quests, I got a man a black pearl tonight. :smith:
It never ends. The Towerful of Mice is another nice one - btw it's based on the legend of Popiel if anybody's interested.

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

Oh god you are in for a treat. The hearts of stone quest line is alot better than the main questline and Gaunter O'D'mm (AKA Master Mirror) is one of the most magnificent bastards in history of gaming.

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013
I can't stop thinking about how Gaunter O'dimm is so magnificent. I don't think there has been a character like him in the history of gaming, ever.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Gaunter O'Dimm's speech to Vlodomir at the end of the wedding (if you allow it) is a masterpiece.

Also I don't know if everybody knows this but O'Dimm can be seen throughout the expansion disguising himself as different NPCs in the background. For example he's one of the guards during the hostage situation in the heist. Here are some of his other appearances

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I want a Platinum spinoff starring Ciri hopping through space and team teaming up with an all-star cast of character action game heroes

with minigames where Geralt goes out on the town to pick up girls with Dante, Yennefer and Bayonetta compete to be the most fabulous witch in the universe, Roche becomes the Wonderful 101’s ruthless new commander and zany hijinx ensue, the CDProjekt and God of War marketing teams try to one-up each other in shock value, etc

Imo it would just be called The Witchest

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've wanted an action game where you bamf around like Nightcrawler forever. Guess Final Fantasy XV looks pretty close.

I know it's just your fantasy but the realistic characters of the Witcher would clash so hard with the over-the-top platinum characters that it would be super weird.

I'm not against it though. I want all my favorite video game characters to come together and have a big party.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You could play Fable the Lost Chapters and invest entirely into willpower magic effects. One of them is a phase shift ability like Ciri. Or you could just be a warp spider.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Today I met a guy who looks exactly like Gaunter O'Dimm. I'm scared now.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I want a Platinum spinoff starring Ciri hopping through space and team teaming up with an all-star cast of character action game heroes

I would play a game where the story is Ciri dimension hopping with a rag tag group of heroes to defeat the MacGuffin.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Nah, in Witcher 4 you should play a newly trained, less mutated witcher on their very first contract...

...from the School of the Swallow :getin:

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

cmykjester posted:

I've wanted an action game where you bamf around like Nightcrawler forever. Guess Final Fantasy XV looks pretty close.

I know it's just your fantasy but the realistic characters of the Witcher would clash so hard with the over-the-top platinum characters that it would be super weird.

I'm not against it though. I want all my favorite video game characters to come together and have a big party.

Geralt has.
Turned a hedgehog monster into a king, dealt with the literal devil as well as a dragon. He is friends with dwarves, shape-shifters and polite with trolls and succubi.

His daughter can teleport between worlds. He fell in love with one woman in the middle of the cataclysmic destruction of a city via a wish from a genie that he swore at and pissed off, which created that situation.

Him being an unsurprised, nonchalant straight man to platinum characters would rule.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Strategic Tea posted:

Nah, in Witcher 4 you should play a newly trained, less mutated witcher on their very first contract...

...from the School of the Swallow :getin:

But where would they find the mutagens to create new Witchers? Vesemir only had a limited stock and he didn't know how to make more.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Arcsquad12 posted:

But where would they find the mutagens to create new Witchers? Vesemir only had a limited stock and he didn't know how to make more.

Life uh, finds a way.

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Arcsquad12 posted:

You do know this is a work of fiction right? You could literally just go: Oh they found a book on how to do it again.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Arcsquad12 posted:

Ciri hops dimensions to Baltimore and hits up Bodie on the corner for some WMD, it will mass destruct your rear end

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
D'Angelo looks disapprovingly at Bodie as he slaps the Orens out of his hand, "THIS LOOK LIKE MONEY TO YOU? MONEY BE GREEN!". "its gold tho Dee, chill, chill..."
"IT AINT EVEN GOT NO DEAD PRESIDENT ON IT" D'Angelo howls as he tosses Bodie through the dimensional rift, Bodies adventure has begun. He has deal with Ciri for punking them, costing him his street cred and return the stash to D'Angelo, but he has no idea what he just signed up for...

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

That's why I said less mutated, like they did with Ciri. Minor steroids (until Triss asks them what they hell they think they're doing again) but no actual trial of the grasses or cat eyes.

I dunno, after the conjunction of the spheres in the ending they have an excuse to up the monster population a bit. Might need a new breed of witcher...

Of course to make up for the lack of mutation they'd have to rely even more on cunning and dirty tricks :hellyeah:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Savy Saracen salad posted:

Oh god you are in for a treat. The hearts of stone quest line is alot better than the main questline and Gaunter O'D'mm (AKA Master Mirror) is one of the most magnificent bastards in history of gaming.

So should I do it now that I'm level 35, or go world hopping with the Elf Doctor first?

Ugh I cleared out all of Velen and Novigrad, and now I need to explore Skellige. All those ? in water :suicide:

This is mostly so I can find all the witcher patterns. I have a full mastercrafted suit of Ursine, but I want the same for Wolven, Feline and Griffon.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

twistedmentat posted:

So should I do it now that I'm level 35, or go world hopping with the Elf Doctor first?

Ugh I cleared out all of Velen and Novigrad, and now I need to explore Skellige. All those ? in water :suicide:

This is mostly so I can find all the witcher patterns. I have a full mastercrafted suit of Ursine, but I want the same for Wolven, Feline and Griffon.

The expansion opens at level 32 basically, I'd go finish the main story so you can just relax and enjoy the expansion content. Also that way you are not even more over leveled for the endgame stuff. You've got about 1-2 hours left since you are a high enough level to handle everything the endgame throws at yo, and the longest stuff will be dialogue.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Strategic Tea posted:

That's why I said less mutated, like they did with Ciri. Minor steroids (until Triss asks them what they hell they think they're doing again) but no actual trial of the grasses or cat eyes.

I dunno, after the conjunction of the spheres in the ending they have an excuse to up the monster population a bit. Might need a new breed of witcher...

Of course to make up for the lack of mutation they'd have to rely even more on cunning and dirty tricks :hellyeah:

Ciri is a trained Sorcerer and trained in the combat arts of Witchers. Sorcerers are wiped out and Witchers are feared, but this new breed is unknown and has massive potential, so a School of Swallow could be a School of Warrior Sorcs.
Imagine the risk if someone went rouge.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Just finished the quest involving the murder attempt on Priscilla. Jesus loving Christ.

Also, bought Hearts of Stone. Is there any way to get the old main menu back? The new one is a nice change of view, but I like the wailing bagpipes menu better.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

RTS sequel where you play as a Zerg hivemind of drowners and must make tactical decisions about which of your three million identical underlings to sic on Geralt this week, and whether to employ them one at a time or the more devious two at a time.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

It scares me how I immediately flashed back and from memory:

"AWAKEN MY CHILD, AND EMBRACE THE GLORY THAT WHICH IS YOUR BIRTHRIGHT. KNOW THAT I AM THE OVERMIND AND I HAVE CREATED YOU TO SERVE ME."

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Arcsquad12 posted:

Remember when they did the Trial of Grasses on Uma, and everyone basically went, "gently caress, now we have the capability to do this again we can't just use that as an excuse. We're going to have to talk about this."

e:Yen also mentions that rather than mutagens they're using magic to recreate their effects.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Feb 27, 2016

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
This is pretty meta-gamey but I'm trying to figure out how to maximize my DPS and turn Geralt into a one-man meatgrinder. I'm 36, and finally scraped together enough red mutagens to get 2 greater reds. So, for my equipped skills, I've got the 2 greater red mutagens and 6 red skills (focusing on rend and whirl) and 2 greater blue mutagens with 5 blue skills (focusing on igni and quen), along with Cat school techniques for the light armor damage bonus since I prefer Cat armour and it's higher damage bonuses. I've got Severence and Renewal on my blades (and ignition on my armour just because I love igni, and it's always worth it to set more things on fire.)

I'm pretty sure that that's about the limit in terms of min-maxing my DPS, aside from getting even more red mutagens and sacrificing some spellslots, but I'm all out of reds for the moment. If I ever get more, I'll consider a third greater red, but I think at that point I'll have finished just about every major quest. Guess for now I'll add as many slots to my armor and keep pumping in greater igni glyphs.

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Feb 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

WirelessPillow posted:

Imagine the risk if someone went rouge.
sorcerecesses canonically use evil magic to keep looking hot + sexy in a way that ageing hack author polish horndogs enjoy, so rouge is probably a given.