Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

[quote="kaosAG" post="456674888"]
Sprue Brothers, if you're a US goon.
[/q]

Rad, thanks! Some good sales on there, too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
If you have a local hobby store, you can always ask them if they can get it in for you too. Even if they don't carry it normally, typically their distributor/wholesaler will carry something like that, and decent stores can bring it in for you typically cheaper than ordering online.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
HULK SMASH!

Hulk is done! A sculpt by MFA2K, with base from scratch. My biggest piece so far, about 14" tall. This sculpt was ROUGH AS gently caress, which is why the first owner sold it on to me at a steep discount. Not sure if it was the base sculpt that was raw, or this cast came near the end of the moulds life, but it definitely took some work. It's still very rough by modern standards, but it came a long way from what it used to be. The base was interesting as it took a few tries for the sand effect, which I don't think I got exactly right, but close enough. Scrap MDF textured and contoured with Hydrocal, large and small rocks from Woodland Scenics rock molds, other bits from Woodland Scenics as well. Hulk was done almost entirely in Golden Fluid Acrylics, with a little bit of Liquitex and Gunze in there as well.

As always, pics can be clicked to take you to bigass versions.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

HULK SMASH!

Hulk is done! A sculpt by MFA2K, with base from scratch. My biggest piece so far, about 14" tall. This sculpt was ROUGH AS gently caress, which is why the first owner sold it on to me at a steep discount. Not sure if it was the base sculpt that was raw, or this cast came near the end of the moulds life, but it definitely took some work. It's still very rough by modern standards, but it came a long way from what it used to be. The base was interesting as it took a few tries for the sand effect, which I don't think I got exactly right, but close enough. Scrap MDF textured and contoured with Hydrocal, large and small rocks from Woodland Scenics rock molds, other bits from Woodland Scenics as well. Hulk was done almost entirely in Golden Fluid Acrylics, with a little bit of Liquitex and Gunze in there as well.

As always, pics can be clicked to take you to bigass versions.

That looks great as always. One idea for advice would be to dust some dry sand coloured pigments onto the base and then especially slightly into the crevasses and recesses in-between the toes and on the feet to help tie the base and model together.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

big_g posted:

That looks great as always. One idea for advice would be to dust some dry sand coloured pigments onto the base and then especially slightly into the crevasses and recesses in-between the toes and on the feet to help tie the base and model together.

Excellent idea! I think I'll try that tomorrow.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Awesome Hulk, I love how the pants look. If this is a bad figure, I can't wait to see what you do with a good one.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Click for very big pictures of a very big ship.

The size of the ship and the level of detail just blow my mind.

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Except the heaven had come so near,
So seemed to choose my door,The distance would not haunt me so

Soiled Meat
In the last pic I notice the photo of the ship - is he working just from photos or did the company give him some schematics or something? Also crazy how quickly it seems to be getting done. It's an amazing thing

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

That is amazing. Is it of a real-life ship?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

That's a pretty awesome ship model for sure.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah it's a real ship, the biggest ship in the world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TI-class_supertanker

It's actually all white like that.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Just bought a Tamiya stegosaurus kit while browsing at a hobby shop. Don't know when I'm going to work on it, but it was eight bucks and is my favorite dinosaur, so gently caress it.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

Kibner posted:

Just bought a Tamiya stegosaurus kit while browsing at a hobby shop. Don't know when I'm going to work on it, but it was eight bucks and is my favorite dinosaur, so gently caress it.

Deck it out with link tracks, photoetch, and a turned aluminum gun barrel.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Kibner posted:

Those tamiya dino kits are 1/35 right?

DINO RIDERS!

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Molentik posted:

DINO RIDERS!

Yup! I should be able to get to it sometime this coming fall. This other kit I'm working on is kicking my butt and all I'm doing is cleaning nubs and panel lining.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

I currently own a Iwata Eclipse airbrush, but would like to get something with a bigger spray pattern for basecoating some terrain and MDF buildings. Maybe something bottle fed for the bigger paint reserve. Doesn't need to be too fancy, I have the eclipse for any finer work. Any suggestions?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I'd really recommend against getting a bottle-feed. Their only advantage is the bigger paint reservoir, but the caveats with dealing with a bottle-feed really outweigh that benefit. They're harder to clean, have more issues, require a lot more paint just to get going, unlike most gravity-feeds which will work with as little as a drop or two of paint.

I really like the Paasche TG-3F for those needing a larger paint output. It comes with three tip/needle sizes, as well as a fan-cap, which can increase spray width up to 4 inches. With all the options in tip size, it can still double as your fine detail brush as well, if needed. It also sports quite a large paint-cup as well, so you get as close to the capacity of a bottle-feed before you jump into the huge automotive sprayers. Super simple to break down and clean as well. I threw a big needle in mine, and use it for priming Stynylrez, spraying large-flake metallics, and throwing final coats of varnish. I can quickly slap on the aircap if I need to double the width on my paint line too.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
So March starts on Tuesday. What are we building for it?

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

PirateDentist posted:

I currently own a Iwata Eclipse airbrush, but would like to get something with a bigger spray pattern for basecoating some terrain and MDF buildings. Maybe something bottle fed for the bigger paint reserve. Doesn't need to be too fancy, I have the eclipse for any finer work. Any suggestions?

Iwata also sells the RG-3 mini spray gun, which is gravity fed and has a much larger spray pattern, good for doing very large areas. I've heard good things about it. Only disadvantage is that I think it's single action, but it's a paint shotgun anyway so you generally don't care about SA vs. DA.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Arquinsiel posted:

So March starts on Tuesday. What are we building for it?

I still need to finish my Vampire :( I had such a cool idea for it but it is taking forever.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

TTerrible posted:

I still need to finish my Vampire :( I had such a cool idea for it but it is taking forever.
I haven't even had time to start mine, and I've added a half dozen more kits to the backlog since getting it. I see no reason to avoid adding another one :v:

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Arquinsiel posted:

I haven't even had time to start mine, and I've added a half dozen more kits to the backlog since getting it. I see no reason to avoid adding another one :v:

Agreed. I may add a hi-mock to the pile. :ohdear:

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

Was it Crap-boat or Crap-car next?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I believe it is up to the winner of last build to decide. Henceforth we shall refer to said goon as "Kit Dictator Pro Tempore". For the March build that's Unkempt. Make your choice, Dictator!

I actually know of it, but only as "that prop plane the British used for a crazy long time for AWACS" and not by name.

VVVV

Arquinsiel fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Feb 26, 2016

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

This is sorta surprising. If you are not an aviation nerd, it is very obscure. Even then, it is still pretty obscure.

But after literally decades of there being only one mainstream kit of it, the Avro Shackleton has not one, but two new kits? Scalemates claims they are new molds.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

TTerrible posted:

Agreed. I may add a hi-mock to the pile. :ohdear:

Do it, it's an incredibly high quality kit for a hilariously low price.

Also we should do Avro Arrows to celebrate how awful the F-35 is.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Molentik posted:

DINO RIDERS!

drat, now I want to try stick a Flak 38 to the side of a Triceratops....

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

lilljonas posted:

drat, now I want to try stick a Flak 38 to the side of a Triceratops....

So screw crap-boat or crap-car, we should do a crap dino for march :D

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Molentik posted:

So screw crap-boat or crap-car, we should do a crap dino for march :D

I'd be down with a "make your own dinorider" run. So it could be a crap-boat, or a crap-car as well, as long as it's fused to a tenacious theropod.

It would be a bit more work than a normal kit, as size matching would be a thing, but it sounds like a bunch of fun as well.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
One of the models big models being moved into the new exhibition at the Royal Arsenal:

https://www.facebook.com/nationalmuseet/photos/a.114631189131.99417.20303574131/10153600049064132/?type=3

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Now I'm busy sketching on ways to build a PanzerkampfEidechse IV. An 8-year-old lilljonas is cheering from back in 1990.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

secretly a baby posted:

One of the models big models being moved into the new exhibition at the Royal Arsenal:

https://www.facebook.com/nationalmuseet/photos/a.114631189131.99417.20303574131/10153600049064132/?type=3

It's amazing the work that goes into moving these things safely. I imagine that even with all the care in the world, there will be a fair number of repairs needed when they get to their new home.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

lilljonas posted:

I'd be down with a "make your own dinorider" run. So it could be a crap-boat, or a crap-car as well, as long as it's fused to a tenacious theropod.

It would be a bit more work than a normal kit, as size matching would be a thing, but it sounds like a bunch of fun as well.

I am liking this idea and doing a bit of research. It looks like the older and appropriately crapper Tamiya dinos are about :10bux: each, so triceratops, stegasaurus and t rex could be options?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Unkempt posted:

I am liking this idea and doing a bit of research. It looks like the older and appropriately crapper Tamiya dinos are about :10bux: each, so triceratops, stegasaurus and t rex could be options?

Yeah, but it will be a bit expensive to get both a dino and something to merge it with. The stuff I'm looking at is now closer to 30-40 bucks in total, with shipping. I'm leaning towards doing it anyway, just because I like the idea, but it's ballooning away from crapkit territory.

E: it will also require a lot more conversion work than just having fun with a crappy airfix plane, so I doubt I'd finish it in a month. Maybe a more ambitious spring project?

I'm considering using this one: http://www.model-making.eu/products/TRICERATOPS-DIORAMA.html
and merge it with a 1:48 Pz. IV, so that it would be in scale with my other German tanks. I think schürzen could look good on it, and add some structure to fix a ladder too.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Feb 26, 2016

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Friend got me a souvenir from his holiday in the States

:getin:

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Feb 26, 2016

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Looking through vehicle models, I didn't know this existed:

It's about $130 though, so we won't be doing that. (Pity, cause it's awesome)

edit: This bad boy on the other hand can be got for about $8, if we can stretch the definition of 'car' a bit

Unkempt fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Feb 26, 2016

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Unkempt posted:

edit: This bad boy on the other hand can be got for about $8, if we can stretch the definition of 'car' a bit

$27 with shipping for :canada:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Unkempt posted:

Yeah, I stumbled across this, too. I was wondering how real-live super-heavy vehicles arrange their drivetrain. (I was thinking about silly supertanks, natch.) Turns out the biggest self propelled mover is the crawlers NASA uses for moving rockets - and they did what the Maus did, have engines drive generators to make electricity, then use many electric motors to actually drive the tracks.

The above thing does that as well, but just gets its power via a (presumably enormous) electric cable

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Unkempt posted:

gently caress yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Nebakenezzer posted:

The above thing does that as well, but just gets its power via a (presumably enormous) electric cable

The cables are large, but not so large as you might think. They use very high voltage in order to keep the line a reasonable size, just like power transmission lines.