Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pfft, slackware. Give 'em a stack of floppies and point them at the linux howto archive and tell them they can't leave the house until they have a PPP connection working.

Gentoo on the other hand.. that is in fact child abuse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Doctor Bombadil posted:

What is pissing me off right now:

My cellphone won't stop ringing (enabled call waiting is not helping). Landline phone next to me won't stop ringing (on all lines). My private cell won't stop ringing, because loving coworker gave out that number to a client.

Everyone is calling with stupid problems which they could easily solve themselves (haha, yeah right). Half of the calls are "I can't sign this document with a certificate". Totally not helping it is that, as a means of convenience, our Ministry of Interior is issuing personal certificates on identity card, except none of them issued before certain dates work. If you somehow do get them to work, then you bork all the ones issued after said date. Here you have to get all the tax-related paperwork by the end of february, and everything has to be digitally signed.

Also, none of my coworkers are here, they are mostly somewhere on-site, client is moving to new space over the weekend, and it seems no one bothered to organize poo poo.

It seems like there is not enough bourbon in the world right now to help me.

Sorry for the e/n, I needed to vent.

I sent out my sig with direct line, fax and cell phone to the company when we changed logos as an example of how it should look. I discovered yesterday that one of our support guys had copied and pasted it into the ticketing system as his default sig, WITHOUT CHANGING ANYTHING BUT THE NAME!

:stare:

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer

SubjectVerbObject posted:

So is me making my 10 year old install windows 10 on a new PC a good thing, or possibly a form of child abuse?

Probably a little bit of both. My experiences with Windows 10 is that it is such a broken piece of software, your kid has good opportunity to learn how to troubleshoot.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

ChickenWing posted:

Old fucks: Your parents and older. People who didn't grow up at a point where personal computers were a thing. Probably have stories about using punch cards to play around with the computer at high school, at best. Generally don't care to learn about computers, as the older ways are absolutely objectively better and I'll be damned if I'm going to give my banking information to google they are just trying to hack me but hold on I need to put my SIN in this website to download solitaire.

Nerd generation: Grew up with personal computers, or at least cared enough when they became more common that they tried to use them. Got into computing when you needed a certain amount of knowledge to do more than run Word(perfect). Because of this, knows more than just "press butan recieve flashy lights", and is generally able to problem solve in at least a limited fashion.

"It just works" generation: Raised on iphones and macs. Computers are an integral part of their lives, but they have no goddamn idea how to use them, as they are used to the computer holding their hand through every step of the process. Completely unable to handle things not working properly, because it's not something they have to deal with on a regular basis.

This is some of the most overgeneralized self-praising short-sighted poo poo I've read.

There are plenty of people in the older generations who are geniuses with networking and have a plethora of knowledge with data flow. They built networks from early adopter tech to the incredibly fast poo poo we all rely on today. When the nerd generation had personal computers you simply plugged that poo poo in to ethernet, power cycled your WRT54G, and you were online.

The nerd generation is good with PC hardware and OS troubleshooting, sure. We're used to poo poo being broken or building from scratch and hammering out the issues. Besides the critical thinking component, this is becoming less and less relevant to today's technology. When's the last time you had to gently caress with motherboard jumpers on any machine?

The younger generation, I find, is excelling at programming. Hardware and networking are no longer major concerns, programming languages are more accessible and robust, and online repositories have become an integral part of the process. There are some amazing things coming out of that younger generation and in 10 years when they have more work experience we're going to see an incredible boom in what our websites, PCs, and phones can do for us.

Every generation has their idiots but every generation also has their geniuses. You can't compare grandpa with his first home PC to a 30 something working in IT to a 19 year old intern majoring in communications.

Judge Schnoopy fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Feb 26, 2016

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ChickenWing posted:

"It just works" generation: Raised on iphones and macs.

Macs were most popular for home and school use in the early-mid 90s dude. Anyone who was raised on iPhones is way less likely to have even touched a Mac.

Don't forget: there's more new Windows computers sold in the last year, than all the Macs sold from the 1984 launch to the end of 2016. Macs are fuckin' rare.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Bob Morales posted:

It's not even just old people. Plenty of 20-somethings don't have a clue how to use a computer.

But people think "you're young and have an iPhone! You must be good with computers you're hired!"

edit: at lunch all the interns were eating at a table and the owner of the company (76 years old?) walked by and he said "Oh this makes me feel like I am at Google or Facebook in Silicon Valley. Having all these super-intelligent young people working here that understand technology"

All of them were snapchatting or some poo poo on their phones.

This last batch of interns was possibly the loving dumbest group we've ever had. Most likely because it consisted of the owners youngest kid and 6-7 of his buddies.

Old people today:
'I don't understand modern technology. When I was older I designed a bridge using a slide rule and I rebuilt my car's gearbox by hand'

Old people 40 years in the future:
'I don't understand modern technology. When I was older I took duckface selfies and I posted some epic burns on social media'

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Doctor Bombadil posted:

Probably a little bit of both. My experiences with Windows 10 is that it is such a broken piece of software, your kid has good opportunity to learn how to troubleshoot.
That's still going to be torture if they have to deal with drivers automagically installing themselves for the first time.

kensei posted:

I sent out my sig with direct line, fax and cell phone to the company when we changed logos as an example of how it should look. I discovered yesterday that one of our support guys had copied and pasted it into the ticketing system as his default sig, WITHOUT CHANGING ANYTHING BUT THE NAME!

:newlol:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

kensei posted:

That'll teach you for actually including your number in there :v:

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer

kensei posted:

I wanted to say :psyduck: but then i remebered I know exactly how you feel.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

The trick there is to put a proposal together with three options, the good option, the okay option, and the stupid option. Be sure to make the stupid option so abhorrent that nobody, no matter how retarded would choose it. Framing is key here. Include cash flows and lost profit in the downtime calcs and suddenly the stupid option that takes a week to get back up and online looks even more stupid.

Good option: N+1 UPS, offsite backups, genset.
Okay option: Good quality double conversion UPS and inline surge protector, offsite backups.

Stupid option: Keep everything the same and we'll charge you 50 hours billable time to completely rebuild your systems from scratch and $4000 to get the drive recovered by drivesavers. And then you get to find a new MSP because we told you so and don't like redoing work because your cheapass board refuses to spend money.

This is exactly how we framed it to this client, almost the same granularity with offering three options. We even ran through scenarios of tornado/fire/flood since we're in the midwest and get crazy weather out of nowhere sometimes. They basically came back saying that they'd take their chances and stick with Stupid Option because they didn't want to spend money. The on site contact we worked with about poo poo a brick and couldn't understand why the board wouldn't want to have a good backup and UPS/generator solution - they kinda lucked out that the last incident happened near a weekend when everyone was out, so only about a day of work was lost. Reminding them of this and possible disasters during the week that could take them down multiple days didn't even faze them, I got a distinct "you ain't taking MY precious money" feeling from the looks on their dumbass faces.

Can't wait until summer, if it gets bad and they have a disaster again, I'm going in full bore with everything we suggested over a year ago, along with the cost of an entire infrastructure rebuild project to compare so they can see how pants-on-head retarded they are.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

We have an old Simplex time clock (for temps) from the early 90s that keeps displaying E42. Simplex tech support they have no record of this error message so they can't help beyond suggesting I buy a new one. Pressing mode twice clears it. Does anyone have any idea what the error means? It's really pissing me off since it only fixes it for a day or two. I'd love to replace the thing but need to get a comparison of repair costs due to policy for anything we plan on replacing that isn't obsolete and this still fits exactly what we need.

This is usually pretty easy in IT you just check the obsolete box and write why it doesn't meet current demand. The time clock is only an IT problems because it plugs into the wall and you program it in the most horrible way. I'm not even sure what I'd replace it with if it comes to it. I know nothing about time clocks.

mewse
May 2, 2006

pixaal posted:

I'd love to replace the thing but need to get a comparison of repair costs due to policy for anything we plan on replacing that isn't obsolete and this still fits exactly what we need.

You need to put together a comparison of repair costs for something that "isn't obsolete" but was produced 25 years ago and tech support can't even tell you what the error message means?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

EasyClocking

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

Doctor Bombadil posted:

Actually it went well, but we were installing it from scratch on bare metal. Not an upgrade.

The guy we talked to when we were buying parts at Microcenter suggested Kali linux.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
:yotj:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

SubjectVerbObject posted:

The guy we talked to when we were buying parts at Microcenter suggested Kali linux.

HAHAHAHAHAHA

I know of only one person who runs that as his daily OS, and he wants SOOO badly to be in InfoSec. He knows the words, but strings them together in the most incorrect ways.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Ozz81 posted:

This is exactly how we framed it to this client, almost the same granularity with offering three options. We even ran through scenarios of tornado/fire/flood since we're in the midwest and get crazy weather out of nowhere sometimes. They basically came back saying that they'd take their chances and stick with Stupid Option because they didn't want to spend money. The on site contact we worked with about poo poo a brick and couldn't understand why the board wouldn't want to have a good backup and UPS/generator solution - they kinda lucked out that the last incident happened near a weekend when everyone was out, so only about a day of work was lost. Reminding them of this and possible disasters during the week that could take them down multiple days didn't even faze them, I got a distinct "you ain't taking MY precious money" feeling from the looks on their dumbass faces.

Can't wait until summer, if it gets bad and they have a disaster again, I'm going in full bore with everything we suggested over a year ago, along with the cost of an entire infrastructure rebuild project to compare so they can see how pants-on-head retarded they are.

They're in full bore "that'll never happen to ME:smug:" mode. No amount of logic you apply will ever change that. Your best bet is to document up everything related to the stupid option and the full range of consequences it entails in writing. Mostly because the very second something bad happens, the lawyer they play golf with will be super happy to sue the crap out of you for letting something like this happen and destroy the business. They are exactly one non-recoverable disaster away from being your firm's very own worst enemy.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Let's just leave a bunch of VMware snapshots in place and wonder why it takes a while for this VM to replicate

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

pixaal posted:

I'd love to replace the thing but need to get a comparison of repair costs due to policy for anything we plan on replacing that isn't obsolete and this still fits exactly what we need.

It will cost $price-of-replacement to fix, because it can't be fixed without replacing the whole unit. And it does not fit what you need, since it is broken. Since no-one know what that error message means, it can be anything from battery on the motherboard being low, to Chinese hackers have taken control of it and is currently stealing all your secrets. If you frame it like that, I am sure you can get it replaced. Make a point that even support don't know what it is.

Great Orb!
Feb 4, 2009
Someone didn't get the memo that we were patching production servers last night.

They were in the middle of pushing a new software build out when the server rebooted to finish patching.

:suicide:

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Priss In Plate posted:

Someone didn't get the memo that we were patching production servers last night.

They were in the middle of pushing a new software build out when the server rebooted to finish patching.

That's amazing. I hope you laughed in their face.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

They're in full bore "that'll never happen to ME:smug:" mode. No amount of logic you apply will ever change that. Your best bet is to document up everything related to the stupid option and the full range of consequences it entails in writing. Mostly because the very second something bad happens, the lawyer they play golf with will be super happy to sue the crap out of you for letting something like this happen and destroy the business. They are exactly one non-recoverable disaster away from being your firm's very own worst enemy.

I read a story about a social network/live journal going out of business because they didn't have backups, but I'm wondering if there's any other cases where a company was done after an outage.

Priss In Plate posted:

I keep running into an issue $HUGE_INTERNATIONAL_BANK, where they do patches every two weeks of the RHEL servers our application uses, and I'm in charge of. They do a patch reboot from time to time, and when they come up, random binaries from our application are deleted.

We save everything in
/opt/$APP_NAME/binary_X.X.X.X_ARCH/bin/binary_name
for about fifty binaries, and then we link it from the application user path:
/$APP_NAME/$APP_INSTANCE/bin/link_to_binary_name

Nothing crazy, but for some reason after patch day, a random binary or two, or random link or two is missing. It's easy enough to fix, I just drip the binary in or remake the link, but it's not as if the rpm is being uninstalled, it's just a random binary is gone. It's not the same one each time it happens, and it's not the same one even on the two or three servers it happens on each patch cycle.

I've opened a ticket with their unix team, the ones doing the patches and they just go" :shrug: we don't know. " It's taken their UAT and Production system down a couple times, and on one at all cares. Best answer I got was from a guy that said he thinks they do binary definition matching against known malicious binaries, but then it'd at least be consistent. I'm completely baffled they have no idea what is happening. Typically, they blame me, but the files in /opt are not RW with my user, and I don't have sudo access, so it's 100% impossible for me to do it, but their unix team UNIX TEAM UNIX TEAM argue that point. I've had to fight with them numerous times, that I can't delete something owned by root, that I have no permissions on ,but they have no idea what that means, and they are their UNIX TEAM.

It's beyond frustrating. When I get the patch memo, I just go into all our paths, do an "ls -l" and produce a list, so when the next morning something is offline I can use do the "ls -l" again and Beyond Compare it.

Did I mention that they also don't back up their dev servers, so they have a team of people working on a server not being backed up. They give us like 20gb of space on the server, an no other servers, and say "oh, just figure out your own backup method." Wait, we only have one server, there's no where else to put the data, if that server dies, you lose two years of work. You can expect the devs to download all their work locally, what if their PC dies, what if we fire one of the devs and can get to his files? How is that a backup plan? It's beyond aggravating.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

I read a story about a social network/live journal going out of business because they didn't have backups, but I'm wondering if there's any other cases where a company was done after an outage.

This tries to get to the bottom of the more commonly repeated claims:

http://itknowledgeexchange.techtarg...lure-statistic/

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Exactly - we've covered ourselves with electronic & paper documents with all our suggestions, have minutes recorded for meetings & signed papers indicating they declined our suggestions. I've still got old emails stored in a backup PST on our company backup server with everything we talked about. Plus they're a pretty big heavy equipment & custom electronic manufacturer, if they went down there's a good chance they'd be loving toast & not recover.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Best answer I got was from a guy that said he thinks they do binary definition matching against known malicious binaries, but then it'd at least be consistent.

Anti-virus anything on server environments with self built apps is always a joke, the entire premise of black listing instead of white listing is just :bang:

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk

My go-to was http://www.darknet.org.uk/2014/06/source-code-hosting-service-code-spaces-deleted-by-hacker/ which worked awesomely well when their website was just a pair of links to the two biggest companies they used to compete with. Looks like now it's lapsed and being squatted.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

There's plenty of them if you've ever heard of bitcoin. My favorite is this one.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Internet Archive to the rescue:

https://web.archive.org/web/20150320234742/http://www.darknet.org.uk/2014/06/source-code-hosting-service-code-spaces-deleted-by-hacker

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk

<Maxwell>Missed it by that much.</Maxwell>
http://www.codespaces.com

The customer conversation went something like "Ever heard of CodeSpaces? They're an interesting source code hosting service in the vein of svnlab, GitHub, etc. <pulls up browser page> Or at least they were, until one of their admins got phished and the same cloud hosting automation services that let them build a thousand servers in 15 minutes also deleted those thousand servers in 15 minutes. They didn't keep any offline backups to restore from so now they're just a pointer to two companies they used to compete with."

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

AS/400 guy who believes in automating nothing...or lacks the skill to.

This morning he's changing all the dates on the end of month reports, by hand. So when they run in a few days, a couple of them will have gotten 'missed' like they do every month.

You don't double check these? Why don't you just automate them so you won't have the same errors.

I can't wait until we switch over to the new accounting/reporting software. See ya, fucker!

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Bob Morales posted:

I can't wait until we switch over to the new accounting/reporting software. See ya, fucker!
B-b-but AS/400 is a wonderful platform :smithcloud:

I hope you're blaming HIM, and not the system.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Bob Morales posted:

This morning he's changing all the dates on the end of month reports, by hand. So when they run in a few days, a couple of them will have gotten 'missed' like they do every month.

You don't double check these? Why don't you just automate them so you won't have the same errors.

Ughhh at my last job the "senior" (by all of 2 months) was against automation entirely. He believed it was a waste of time and also a job security risk. We were very understaffed. How is there any job security risk when you and another person are pulling 60-80 hour weeks (still only being paid for 40) on a consistent basis and the average ticket doesn't get answered for 3 weeks. One policy they really wanted to push was read every ticket as it comes in reply and suggest a common fix.

That's was a nice idea but we had sever responsibilities on every person on the team in addition to a general ticket queue with none assigned who is going to spend half their day doing that? We did it for all of a day answering every ticket, turns out users then just submit another ticket about their "closed" ticket and start calling and you end up with a shift in priorities from the CIO that it's all hands on deck until the tickets are under 20 and to ignore servers. Turns out if you ignore servers for 2 months you end up with broken backups and losing police records that now need to be entered from paper copies.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Aunt Beth posted:

I hope you're blaming HIM, and not the system.

100% him. The software is ancient but he causes more problems than anything.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I want to go back in time and beat the gently caress out of our part numbering scheme guy

They use spaces. They uses dashes.They use /, &, # and other characters

BASKET W/STRAP
BLACK 10" STEEL
BLUE "CLUB"
CHRG 7A 12V 2
CHRG 12V 10A
CHARGER 7A 10V
(consistency? What's that!?)

Then they started using numbers. Sort of.

998823.20 (that's revision)
998823.30 (that's another revision)
998823-RAW
R999823 (that's a refurbished part)

So you have to make 100% sure you're always working with strings. Not a huge deal if you can remember that. Or else your .20 gets the trailing zeroes removed to .2, etc

Then the fun becomes getting the poo poo to sort right when you have two different systems. DB2 on the main system sorts alpha before numerics, your MySQL setup has a few options on what you can do, and the 3rd party website you uploaded poo poo to? You're stuck with that. Man does that piss some people off.

Then the owner comes in with some printed report. WHY ARE THESE IN ALL CAPS....CANT THE COMPUTER FIX THESE?

Well, you want some stuff all caps, some some all lower case, some stuff capitalized, you have no 'rules' so we can't get the computer to just guess what you want.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Somebody forgot to implement security roles and relegate tasks to separate admins! Or was using the enterprise console admin as their daily account. Or wasn't requiring double factor authentication for every single admin account. Pretty damned stupid for a company basing their entire operation behind an online login portal.

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer
Every time I have to place a call to our core provider for the bank I work at I have the urge to break things. How could I possibly know why there is some kind of IBM i error popping up on our account inquiry software? I have no system access to whatever Power system they have running this thing much less enough access to both understand the error and fix it.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Bob Morales posted:

This morning he's changing all the dates on the end of month reports, by hand.

Wow, gently caress that so much. Everyone still expects me to create the daily new customer accounts, but I've now got things to the point that telemarketers actually do their job, and anyone doing accounts only has to click a few options and attach a scanned picture and the system will pretty much dole everything out.

After working a few data entry jobs, anything done by hand is loving tedious.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My threshold is if I have to do a repetitive thing more than 10 times or it's something I have to do at regular intervals.. it gets turned into a script.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

FaintlyQuaint posted:

Every time I have to place a call to our core provider for the bank I work at I have the urge to break things. How could I possibly know why there is some kind of IBM i error popping up on our account inquiry software? I have no system access to whatever Power system they have running this thing much less enough access to both understand the error and fix it.
Jack Henry? :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Bob Morales, hire me as your AS/400 guy. I'm not opposed to make some additional funds on the side.