Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MTV Crib Death
Jun 21, 2012
I told my fat girlfriend I wanted to bang skinny chicks and now I'm wondering why my relationship is garbage.

Your Computer posted:

So this direct made me want to play through X again, but my current file has a lot of cool shinies and stuff that I spent many hours getting. Deleting it just feels sorta... wrong.

Is there a way I can get around this (other than buying a new copy, obviously)? The direct mentioned an online bank, could I theoretically transfer my Pokémon there and start a new game, then transfer them back or is it tied to the game?

That's one of the things Bank was specifically made to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Your Computer posted:

So this direct made me want to play through X again, but my current file has a lot of cool shinies and stuff that I spent many hours getting. Deleting it just feels sorta... wrong.

Is there a way I can get around this (other than buying a new copy, obviously)? The direct mentioned an online bank, could I theoretically transfer my Pokémon there and start a new game, then transfer them back or is it tied to the game?

Pokemon Bank: http://www.pokemonbank.com/en-us/

It's been a thing for a couple years now, I'm surprised you haven't heard of it! It does exactly what you want, you can transfer pokemon from your game and withdraw them to any other game for like $5 per year. I think it's for XY and ORAS only, though you can deposit pokemon from Gen V.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

Your Computer posted:

The Bank has been out for quite a while, friend. It costs $5 a year to store all your Pokemon.

e:beaten.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

They'll probably just Time Machine it and go "hey these moves are illegal in Gen 3 onwards, you gotta remove them" when you try to transfer stuff to Gen 7.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Your Computer posted:

Bank works for X, Y, OR, and AS. Get that and you're good to go.

Complexcalibur
Mar 11, 2007

NUOOOOAAAGH

Kelp Plankton posted:

Does anyone have a list of Pokemon who could learn moves in R/B/Y that they couldn't afterwards? Is there anything potentially weird or really good to be snagged from Gen 1?

I don't know about level up changes, but there are a few TMs that never got carried over. I don't know if I'd call any of them 'really good' though; the list has been picked over in other gens for things to give to move tutors. All that's really left are Horn Drill and Fissure as maybe-good, and then maybe possibly Mimic, and then, uh, Pay Day?

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

mabels big day posted:

all of those besides fissure are tms in every game

Yeah but they don't make you go through 7 levels of hell to unlock them.

gently caress you Battle Frontier. Just, gently caress you.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Softboiled!

On Mew!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Thanks everyone, that's exactly what I wanted to hear! :dance:

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

so with pokemon bank compatability, any chance of online trades/battles with gen 1? being able to battle online with gen 1 would make it the greatest Pokemon game ever.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Dabir posted:

Softboiled!

On Mew!

With Knock Off being good, Softboiled on Mew again...goddamn, Mew is going to make a hell of a return.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

mabels big day posted:

so with pokemon bank compatability, any chance of online trades/battles with gen 1? being able to battle online with gen 1 would make it the greatest Pokemon game ever.

I really doubt it, even letting gen 1 display most of the current pokemon would be a ton of work.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

mabels big day posted:

battle/trade for gen 1 isn't online, unfortunately. but they did get it to work locally with wireless stuff at least

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Kelp Plankton posted:

I hope the Gen 1 pokemon get special ribbons or something

I have to imagine the Yellow version Pikachu will, if nothing else, since he's meant to be special

I would not be surprised if you can't transfer the Yellow starter Pikachu at all.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
No Guard Fissure Machamp with choice scarf.

Now Legal

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Pokemon.com article on the bank updates for sun and moon states

quote:

Note that Pokémon cannot be moved directly from Pokémon Red, Pokémon Blue, and Pokémon Yellow to Pokémon Omega Ruby, Pokémon Alpha Sapphire, Pokémon X, or Pokémon Y via Pokémon Bank.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Which suggests that the code to convert them will be in Sun/Moon but Sun/Moon will be compatible with XORYAS.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Dabir posted:

Which suggests that the code to convert them will be in Sun/Moon but Sun/Moon will be compatible with XORYAS.

That's what it sounds like to me, too.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

If it was this much work to get the R/B/Y pokemon working in the new games, so much so that they're not converted by Pokemon Bank itself but by Sun/Moon, anyone feel like the odds of Gold/Silver/Crystal VC releases in the future are pretty likely?

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Kelp Plankton posted:

Does anyone have a list of Pokemon who could learn moves in R/B/Y that they couldn't afterwards? Is there anything potentially weird or really good to be snagged from Gen 1?

Mega Punch can make it's return

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
So Nintendo should have chosen a better phrase to announce sun and moon because now I have people on facebook who think the phrase "it all comes together for a brand new adventure" means to confirm that sun and moon will have every region in it. I'm now angry because someone called me retarded because it so obviously does. I was so happy before that, the direct was awesome

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Nodoze posted:

Mega Punch can make it's return

Was a move tutor in gen 3.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
So can we talk about blastoise riding in that truck

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Elblanco posted:

So Nintendo should have chosen a better phrase to announce sun and moon because now I have people on facebook who think the phrase "it all comes together for a brand new adventure" means to confirm that sun and moon will have every region in it. I'm now angry because someone called me retarded because it so obviously does. I was so happy before that, the direct was awesome

is it really nintendo's fault you got dumb friends

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Nth Doctor posted:

Pokemon.com article on the bank updates for sun and moon states

gently caress.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Lazy_Liberal posted:

So can we talk about blastoise riding in that truck

It's a firetruck, and there's also an Azumarill. :3:

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

hopeandjoy posted:

It's a firetruck, and there's also an Azumarill. :3:

Cool as heck. And is that Machamp working for a moving company?

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
Seeing as how Sun = Red and Moon = Blue, I wonder if this means Sun and Moon will be in Kanto again.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Brother Entropy posted:

is it really nintendo's fault you got dumb friends

Luckily It's a Pokemon group and I'm not friends with that person.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Seeing as how Sun = Red and Moon = Blue, I wonder if this means Sun and Moon will be in Kanto again.

The website says a new world and new Pokemon, so that seems unlikely. Most games in the series have a red/blue motif anyway.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Diamonds are white and shiny like the Sun and the Moon = pearl, so DPPt remake confirmed. :colbert:

No wait the Sun is gold and the Moon is silver, looks like we're going back to Johto!

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

GonSmithe posted:

No. Great Pokemon and great endgame, terrible leveling curve and pokemon to catch as you go. I had some hard nostalgia for them when I bought it and I don't think I ever played completely through my copy of SS.I love XY so definitely go to that after White.

But there are so many legendaries I don't have. I might just play through to catch them. Ugh

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Brother Entropy posted:

real talk i'm actually a little disappointed we're not getting a Z, x&y had some real flaws that could've been improved in a third version

instead gen 6 will always be 'that one gen where they did alot of work porting all the 'mons into 3d and then kinda coasted'

I just think it's weird they built up all this hype for Zygarde and had Z's featured prominently in a lot of promotional material, only for that to all mean absolutely nothing. Plus all the cool places that you couldn't go into that will forever just be pointless, like the Power Plant.

Dabir posted:

Yeah it sounds like you can eventually send R/B/Y Pokemon to ORAS and X/Y, just that they have to be sent to Sun/Moon first.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

That transferring thing sounds interesting. I hope someone comes up with a list of shenanigans that could lead to.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i can't believe they made me think about playing the ancient rear end virtual console games

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Maybe Z will be the Gen 7 remake style game? Like B2/W2, but for a previous generation game?

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Maybe Z will be the Gen 7 remake style game? Like B2/W2, but for a previous generation game?

More likely Z was in the works at some point and basically just ended up being canceled in favor of Sun/Moon getting pushed up to coincide with the 20th year

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Apparently the Missingno stuff is all intact in the VC releases, I wonder how they're going to handle that (they won't, they'll just ban you from transferring your lvl255 Exeggute or whatever)

But I'm so emotionally attached to my lvl255 Exeggcute!

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Hold the phone. Did we ever get game news about Zygarde's forms? like, did a model ever show up or was it all just anime art and screens? I'm trying to remember but all I can recall is that it was announced alongside Ash Greninja, so now i'm thinking that it was never even intended to be used in the games since the whole percentage thing wouldn't translate well. Z is Anime Exclusive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Does anyone want to come to my house and battle with our teams of MissingNo grinded level 100 Tauros/Alakazam/Starmie/Snorlax/Gengar/Golems? No one? :smith:

• Locked thread