Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

moosecow333 posted:

I thought people had to undergo power armor training before they could wear power armor. Did they just remove that concept from the game?

Yup. You can even find Raiders with their own janky welded-on scrap metal over power armor frames sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

moosecow333 posted:

I thought people had to undergo power armor training before they could wear power armor. Did they just remove that concept from the game?

If you can teach a soldier how to wear and operate it, then you can teach anyone to wear and operate it.

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

moosecow333 posted:

The lore is weird.

On one hand, if you play as the father, you have explicit military training and would have conceivably had Power Armor training. On the other hand, they go out of their way to tell you that the exosuit that the armor gets placed onto doesn't require training because it's powered by hydraulics or whatever that won't kill the poo poo out of you if you flex too hard. That's why any civilian and bandit can put on a full suit of death-metal and stomp you into a red paste.

Also, anything that looks like an older suit of armor is actually a variant for the exosuit you can snag. I think. I know that's the case for the X-01 stuff.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I don’t think Fallout 2 had power armour training either. It was sort of in 1 but I think it was more like a “look, here’s what this armor actually is, and we’re going to let u use it” induction given how big a deal the Brotherhood made out if it and that’s just them being assholes probably

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Picked up gone home after reading some of the little things in this thread - and echoing that the little things with the father and mother are great. Really gets this idea of a family slowly falling apart while you've been away across.

My little thing is definitely the mother sub-plot where:

She's been slowly falling into an affair with a coworker. The EWF poster, note and obviously hidden ticket stub, along with the Walt Whitman - all about sensuality underlying conformity

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Yeah Power Armor training was only really a thing in 3 and NV, and NV probably had it because 3 had it and they just didn't bother taking it out. In F2, you can rush Advanced Power Armor at like level 2 if you know what you're doing.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Lotish posted:

Yeah Power Armor training was only really a thing in 3 and NV, and NV probably had it because 3 had it and they just didn't bother taking it out. In F2, you can rush Advanced Power Armor at like level 2 if you know what you're doing.
To be fair, if you know what you're doing you can get power armor and training in NV in less than an hour too.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

If you know what you're doing you can beat fallout 3 before you're even three years old.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Power Armour training was probably introduced in Fallout 3 due to the prominence of the Brotherhood and not wanting to let you use endgame armour at the start of the game.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Digirat posted:

If you know what you're doing you can beat fallout 3 before you're even three years old.

Dude that game is rated M for drug use, violence, and cuss words. A three-year-old has no business playing it

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

princecoo posted:

A few days later I returned and found the fucker had somehow climbed onto the roof of the building and abandoned it there. Trashcan Carlas brahmin had gotten up there too.

I can't wait until the GECK comes out so people can go in and untangle that specific building's pathfinding because getting NPCs to do anything there is nearly impossible. The navmesh must look like a gordian knot facefucking a plate of spaghetti. People and brahmin constantly end up on the roof and ordering your companions to move anywhere near the garage results in constant "I can't do that". I once told one of my companions to hop into a suit of power armor that was in the garage there, turned around for a second, turned back and she was on the roof telling me she couldn't reach the armor, which had been three feet from her.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Disproportionation posted:

I got a F4 power armour story if we're all sharing.

Pretty early in the Minutemen questline you retake their old headquarters, which is this massive civil war era castle, and I decided to use it to store all my suits of power armour (I had 4 complete suits which is pretty lucky early in the game, I bumped into a Brotherhood patrol that got killed by a raider who had a Fat Boy for some reason, long story). Later on I realised while dicking about in build mode that there was a secret passage blocked up by debris that lead into the basement.

Now, this area is supposed to be found during a later quest, but it's easy to stumble upon early. It's also guarded by a massive robot with rocket launchers and poo poo. I hadn't really prepared for a fight so I was getting my rear end kicked, so I figured I'd get upstairs and armour up and it followed me through the loving door. So suddenly I'm having this huge robot fight in the middle of a ton of newly arrived settlers, and I'm nearly dead so I'm pretty sure I'm gonna need to reload until the robot starts focusing it's attention on my guards, who in the confusion had taken all of my power suits. We managed to take out the robot without anyone dying and I found out that settlers could wear power armour in the best way possible.

I wonder if you can put power armor with cores in them around the area and have those starting Minutemen get into it and just fight the Mirelurk queen with a tiny power armored army

I'm gonna try that for science

josiahgould
Nov 10, 2009

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Dude that game is rated M for drug use, violence, and cuss words. A three-year-old has no business playing it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jc_Ws3ZwyhQ
You can beat the game as a baby. In-game baby.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I don’t think Fallout 2 had power armour training either. It was sort of in 1 but I think it was more like a “look, here’s what this armor actually is, and we’re going to let u use it” induction given how big a deal the Brotherhood made out if it and that’s just them being assholes probably

Fallout 1 only let you get power armor from the Brotherhood. Fallout 2 let you get it elsewhere; I forget all the details but there were even a few places you could buy it. You could also rush Enclave armor early on if you really wanted to. Power armor training was kind of meaningless because it was hard to find. The big difference that happened was Fallout 3 adding item durability and making you scrounge up more armor to keep your armor functioning, which mandated armor drops. In 1 and 2 you couldn't just gun down a dude in power armor and steal his duds. Fallout 3 let you do that but then went "lol nope you don't know this poo poo works gently caress you.

Power armor also wasn't even the best armor in 1 and 2. Fallout 3 and NV forgot that little detail.

Of course Fallout 1 and 2 also had more "little details" in general. I think my favorite was when you go to be a boxer. If you're a woman with the Sex Appeal trait the guy running it is reluctant to let you in boxing "ain't ugly but that's what it does to people." He says it'd be "a drat shame" if an attractive woman got beat up. You can convince him anyway of course but it leads to the better little detail. The last boxer you fight is called "The Masticator" and bites your ear off. You get the ear and the description includes "if you're reading this you're probably reloading soon."

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

Power armor also wasn't even the best armor in 1 and 2. Fallout 3 and NV forgot that little detail.

What armors were better than the Hardened Power Armor and the Advanced Power Armor, respectively?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

What armors were better than the Hardened Power Armor and the Advanced Power Armor, respectively?

I even looked it up to see if I forgot something but unless you're counting the Advanced Power Armor Mk. II those are the best.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
In NV I usually just used the NCR Ranger armor. The power armor was nice but the STR bonus didn't overcome the weight and heavy armor made you way slower.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

RBA Starblade posted:

Tesla armor while taking Psycho makes you effectively invincible.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

pulp rag posted:

The lore is weird.

On one hand, if you play as the father, you have explicit military training and would have conceivably had Power Armor training. On the other hand, they go out of their way to tell you that the exosuit that the armor gets placed onto doesn't require training because it's powered by hydraulics or whatever that won't kill the poo poo out of you if you flex too hard. That's why any civilian and bandit can put on a full suit of death-metal and stomp you into a red paste.

Also, anything that looks like an older suit of armor is actually a variant for the exosuit you can snag. I think. I know that's the case for the X-01 stuff.

everyone also misses the fact that the female player character was a solider too, it comes up in a few different conversation options.

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Oh really? I remember her saying she was a successful lawyer when my girlfriend did her file, guess I totally missed the soldier part.

So, yeah, guess both characters probably had Power Armor training or whatever.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Army lawyer. Firing suits out if her justice cannon.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

The Iron Rose posted:

everyone also misses the fact that the female player character was a solider too, it comes up in a few different conversation options.

She wasn't a soldier, she was a very recent law school graduate, taking some time off between school and practicing because of Shaun's birth.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Inco posted:

She wasn't a soldier, she was a very recent law school graduate, taking some time off between school and practicing because of Shaun's birth.

She was a No Limit Soldier. Big Master P fan.

Gold tank DLC incoming.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
The crew of the U.S.S. Constitution specifically check the city records and aay she's a lawyer. I trust the NPCs from the only real Fallout quest in Fallout 4 over basically any other source on the matter.

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
The developers recognized that the roughly five-foot range of the silenced pistol was obnoxious in the previous game, so they increased it at least three-fold in Sniper Elite III. In SE2 the pistol was essentially useless because if you were in range to shoot a soldier, you could knife him silently and be ready to drag his corpse away to boot.

In SE3, it's quite possible to do missions entirely with the silenced pistol. The greatly increased range effectively offsets the downside that is the reduced amount of background sounds that mask your rifle when you fire it. You're no longer confined to killing enemies that are either <2 meters or >100 meters away.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Inco posted:

Making her a lawyer came off as dumb when they could've just handwaved the whole thing as "they met on deployment, got married when they left the army", and there you have how both of them can be expert marksman.

Cleretic posted:

The crew of the U.S.S. Constitution specifically check the city records and aay she's a lawyer. I trust the NPCs from the only real Fallout quest in Fallout 4 over basically any other source on the matter.

I'd follow Captain Ironsides into hell, I would! :patriot:

Seriously, go check out the wrecked sailing ship atop a city building when you see it.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Making her a lawyer came off as dumb when they could've just handwaved the whole thing as "they met on deployment, got married when they left the army", and there you have how both of them can be expert marksman.
The lawyer thing is even sillier because you can make her a 0-int lawyer.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Making her (or Dudeguy) anything was really silly because it takes away a lot of agency from the player in regards to really getting down and making a character.

But this is the positive things about games thread so I'mma add that, after playing the inventory management game for dozens of hours into Dragons Dogma Online, doing my best to hold onto items that I can equip later while also juggling the crafting materials I can or cannot or maybe later can use, I just got another bank tab for doing a main story quest and I've never been so hyped for storage space in my entire life.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Nuebot posted:

The lawyer thing is even sillier because you can make her a 0-int lawyer.

So, Andy Schlafly or John Thompson? :v:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Babe Magnet posted:

Making her (or Dudeguy) anything was really silly because it takes away a lot of agency from the player in regards to really getting down and making a character.

But this is the positive things about games thread so I'mma add that, after playing the inventory management game for dozens of hours into Dragons Dogma Online, doing my best to hold onto items that I can equip later while also juggling the crafting materials I can or cannot or maybe later can use, I just got another bank tab for doing a main story quest and I've never been so hyped for storage space in my entire life.

Did DDO get an english release or are you playing the Japanese version? Because if it has an English version I somehow missed that and need to know now.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Tiberius Thyben posted:

So, Andy Schlafly or John Thompson? :v:
see, this is why separate Int and Wisdom stats are important.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

moosecow333 posted:

That perk was always handed out like candy so I honestly don't blame them for glossing over it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Seriously, go check out the wrecked sailing ship atop a city building when you see it.

I don't understand anyone who wouldn't do this.

Also, make sure to revisit after finishing the quest.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

RagnarokAngel posted:

That perk was always handed out like candy so I honestly don't blame them for glossing over it.

In 3 it was, especially with Anchorage, but in New Vegas you can only get it in 2 places: from Arcade or one of his buddies at the end of his personal quest - which requires you to travel all around the map to even activate it and then again to gather everyone (and some of the people you're gathering won't come with you until you do THEIR quest) - or from the BoS at the end of their questline.

Both of those are pretty time-consuming and don't qualify as "candy" IMO.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Inco posted:

:shrug: I had the option to say that "I" was a soldier when I was out adventuring with paladin danse.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The Iron Rose posted:

:shrug: I had the option to say that "I" was a soldier when I was out adventuring with paladin danse.

Maybe being a soldier is sexually transmitted.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Solice Kirsk posted:

Maybe being a soldier is sexually transmitted.

It's well established that love is a battlefield.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

haveblue posted:

It's well established that love is a battlefield.

Whoa-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh oh-oh-oh

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

razorrozar posted:

In 3 it was, especially with Anchorage, but in New Vegas you can only get it in 2 places: from Arcade or one of his buddies at the end of his personal quest - which requires you to travel all around the map to even activate it and then again to gather everyone (and some of the people you're gathering won't come with you until you do THEIR quest) - or from the BoS at the end of their questline.

Both of those are pretty time-consuming and don't qualify as "candy" IMO.
Well, if you grab Veronica and then side with Hardin you can knock off the BoS questline and get the training super fast, like I said.

New Vegas is a pretty drat good game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Someone linked Hotline Miami 2's ending again and I love how after the credits theres a fake stinger for a post-apocalyptic Hotline Miami 3.