Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Azhais posted:

Brahmin probably take it less personally when you whip them like a rented mule

I imagine that pristine deathclaw egg will allow me to imprint on a baby deathclaw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Where's the cheapest place to buy the season pass? GMG?

Nien
Apr 29, 2013
No doubt been asked but does playing the beta gently caress up all your mods?

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Nien posted:

No doubt been asked but does playing the beta gently caress up all your mods?

Totally depends on the mod.

Nien
Apr 29, 2013
Your list of mods from a few pages ago was helpful. You should keep doing that.

I still don't know what to make of this game. The overarching story does nothing for me but playing it as a survival game with quirky quest like the big dig is a great way to kill six hours.

I put the railroad dude in a power armour and a tricked out mini gun and just sat back watching him carve stuff up. So many interesting options.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Nasgate posted:

I imagine that pristine deathclaw egg will allow me to imprint on a baby deathclaw.

...They've bred deathclaws?

*solemn nod*

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I'm hoping setting up custom radio channels is easy this one, I might use the LISA OST for my crazy over the top modded character.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
These settlement expansion mods keep making my game crash. Oh well.

Is there a mod that shows you what components that will be obtained for scrapping weapons and armor/clothing in your Pip-Boy and Trading menu based on what my Scrapper perk is?

Waffleopolis fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Feb 27, 2016

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Some dude got 3rd person holstered weapons working on the player model again!

You need Nanosuit and the usual community model pack thingy to get working. I just wish this worked with NPC's and it would be perfect.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Of course there's a thread just for modding. How up to date is the OP? I'm just about done downloading this and want to enjoy the game right off the bat. Are there any must-haves or bug fixing mods? Should I go with Vivid Fallout or Fallout Texture Optimization Project?

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Of course there's a thread just for modding. How up to date is the OP? I'm just about done downloading this and want to enjoy the game right off the bat. Are there any must-haves or bug fixing mods? Should I go with Vivid Fallout or Fallout Texture Optimization Project?

You could try reading the op?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

LumberingTroll posted:

You could try reading the op?

I did. It doesn't mention the two mods I'm asking about and there's no section for bug fixes. Plus I wasn't sure how up to date it is.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Vivid Fallout has been updated far more recently than Texture Optimization Project.

As for the rest, the OP has a list of must-haves and bug-fixing mods, and some of the first few lines in the thread are a record of updates to show how current it is.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Bob NewSCART posted:

Where's the cheapest place to buy the season pass? GMG?

www.bundlestars.com has it at 15% off till the official price jump on Tuesday

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

I did. It doesn't mention the two mods I'm asking about and there's no section for bug fixes. Plus I wasn't sure how up to date it is.

You can always hit ctrl+f and see when the post was last hosed with. Besides, most of the better mods won't be coming out until the geck drops.

As for the two you're asking about, I've only tried the latter and can't say I really noticed any particular performance increase.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I went with Vivid I haven't gotten out of the tutorial yet but everything seems perfectly smooth and on par with what I've seen in gameplay footage. I couldn't find a solution for this problem so I'll ask here: Is there a way to change my gamma settings without having to lower the brightness on my monitor? They really just plain left that out of the settings?

Mosnar
Apr 21, 2007
Dropping Heavy Things From High Places, LLC

I went with Vivid I haven't gotten out of the tutorial yet but everything seems perfectly smooth and on par with what I've seen in gameplay footage. I couldn't find a solution for this problem so I'll ask here: Is there a way to change my gamma settings without having to lower the brightness on my monitor? They really just plain left that out of the settings?

I use SweetFX/SweetFX Configurator for all that, but this is a fairly hefty machine .. some/many have reported more stress on the VRAM using it.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

As much as I like the idea of the Minutemen faction, It is a shame they are tied directly with the settlement system. Unless of course I am wrong and you don't need to be part of that faction to just set up the settlement.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

SeanBeansShako posted:

As much as I like the idea of the Minutemen faction, It is a shame they are tied directly with the settlement system. Unless of course I am wrong and you don't need to be part of that faction to just set up the settlement.

You don't, not necessarily. If you were to completely ignore Preston there would still be dozens of settlements to found. You could build Sanctuary without them if you wanted to. Now what would happen to settlements like Tenpines Bluff where the quest dialog revolves around you being a Minuteman, I do not know.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Mosnar posted:

I use SweetFX/SweetFX Configurator for all that, but this is a fairly hefty machine .. some/many have reported more stress on the VRAM using it.

I went with an ENB preset that fixed it right up. My 3 year old PC with a 1gb video card is a plucky little thing. I'm playing this on ultra settings and it's smooth as silk.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Deified Data posted:

You don't, not necessarily. If you were to completely ignore Preston there would still be dozens of settlements to found. You could build Sanctuary without them if you wanted to. Now what would happen to settlements like Tenpines Bluff where the quest dialog revolves around you being a Minuteman, I do not know.

I'll try tenpines for science tonight. But one vats round of killing the two or three settlers is so much less tedious than the quests. It's kind of relaxing.

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.

Deified Data posted:

If you ever want a settlement but can't deal with red tape/preston, the wholesale murder of everyone there then sticking your flag on the workbench will, just as it has throughout human history, make it yours. This keeps to the theme war never changes. Then set up a radio tower and lure new people there and be the hero the wasteland needs, not wants.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
So I'm re-installing F4 and was wondering if there was a consensus best reshade/ENB/etc. to use? At the very least I'm going to use SweetFX Lumasharpen to take away the TAA blur, but is there just a slam-dunk reshade thing I should be using if I want a more realistic look?

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

I'm starting to learn how to make 3D models and textures in preparation for the upcoming GECK release. This poo poo is not easy, but I think there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

A light that CONQUERED THE WORLD!

For real though there needs to be more Cormen style content in this game.

Cirosan
Jan 3, 2012

Full Dialogue Interface has been updated to be compatible with the 1.4 patch that was just released. All languages have been updated. This is especially important for the new 1.4 patch, as a number of new strings have been added.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Wrr posted:

I'm starting to learn how to make 3D models and textures in preparation for the upcoming GECK release. This poo poo is not easy, but I think there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

I would play a 10 hour DLC fighting that thing

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
NMM has been really annoying lately. I have been fiddling around with the sliders for the Download, Installation, Mod Author tabs etc. so I can look at the important stuff and ignore the chaff, but every time I click on a mod, everything reverts back to full size and scrolls off the screen.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
I haven't been able to find anything of the like, but I'm looking for a mod that does bullet time like in Superhot. I was able to locate a bullet time mod for Fallout 4:
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/9325/

And a mod that does the Superhot movement but in Fallout New Vegas:
http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/61444/

But nothing that bridges the two. I even tried poking around in an editor but wasn't able to make any progress. Anyone come across something like this?

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

Wrr posted:

Thats interesting, what are you using for that?

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

staberind posted:

Thats interesting, what are you using for that?

I'm learning modeling in a current version of blender, and planning on using an older version of blender to convert to .nif for actually making it ready for the game. Having some issues on that part. I tried to install PyFFI on my computer last night and it basically caused the thing ti implode. After a hour only 2% of PyFFI was installed, and was causing my computer to be unresponsive or completely delayed by minutes. When I forced a reboot to stop the madness, my liquid cooling system wasn't running on startup. Everything is a mess suddenly.

As for textures. . . I dunno GIMP? I don't really know anything about texture work so that'll be something 'fun' to learn. I figure I should get the models made first and worry about textures later, and that these B-Movie monsters are a good place to start since they're usually have very simple, basic shapes.

Addendum: I'm reading and following along with the Blender Noob to Pro wikiBook and it is a really nice resource for a true beginner.

Wrr fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Mar 2, 2016

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
It's either $10 or $20 but look on Steam for the game asset creation for Blender (should show a TF2 traffic cone hat with a camera) AND THEN BUY THAT FROM BLENDER'S RESOURCE SITE!!! It's the same cost as the Steam one but you can put it on your secondary or browse it and other things that you can't on the Steam version.

Polycount is also a great resource with a lot of things aimed at game assets.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Thank you! Looks perfect, can't wait to get home and try it out.

Laura-4-Lyfe
Oct 14, 2005

Wrr posted:

I'm learning modeling in a current version of blender, and planning on using an older version of blender to convert to .nif for actually making it ready for the game.

Good luck. I gave up on Blender. I never could get the NIF conversion to work. I am now learning 3DS Max 2016 and I have been able to get models I have made in that program to work in game. I would recommend just making a cube and seeing if you can get it to show up in game first. I am using Gimp for the textures and it is working great. Just get the .dds plugin and you are good to go. If you do get Blender to work can you post up what tutorials you followed?

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Laura-4-Lyfe posted:

If you do get Blender to work can you post up what tutorials you followed?

Will do. I *think* I've identified a workflow that will work, but that requires PyFFI to be installed, and as I said earlier that completely wrecked my computer. I think something is going on with the TEMP folder (????) so I'll try manually installing it or, something. The documentation for that thing is really poor.

I'd also like to hunt the greatest game. . . voice actors.

It can't be that hard to get acceptable voice work, right? :shepface:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I hope the FOOK dudes do Fallout 4 after the creation kit drops.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
In terms of voice work, I've found its usually the terrible writing killing it more than the actors. That and/or lack of direction.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Make sure they have good microphones. If the sound quality matches the ingame voice sound quality, that's like half your battle there.

Nien
Apr 29, 2013

Midnight Voyager posted:

Make sure they have good microphones. If the sound quality matches the ingame voice sound quality, that's like half your battle there.

No it's the terrible writing not microphones.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Nien posted:

No it's the terrible writing not microphones.

That's the other half.

If the sound quality doesn't match the game, it screams "HELLO I AM A MOD." If the writing sucks, then it doesn't matter how good it sounds. Get them both together and you're good!

(The magical Third Half is making sure your VA's voice isn't loving stupid, but I kinda figured that bit is obvious)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
honestly having terrible writing just makes it fit in more with the vanilla content

• Locked thread