Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Up Circle posted:

you get used to it. just gotta be patient i actually find the most annoying thing is when teammates "tag" specials or stormvermin, cuz then you can't see them highlighted in orange to know that your arrow will track that target

I pretty much always use the trueflight as it's the best bow I have at the moment, but I don't think I'm ever going to get 'used' to it doing the opposite of what it should do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Lunethex posted:

Dream hagbane is Scavenger - Ammo Holder - Hail of Doom but I doubt that lineup of perks is in the list. A healing proc in place of scavenger would be acceptable though.

That's almost exactly the Red version (but it has Distraction instead of Scavenger) and it's completely loving ridiculous. Like "solo a rat ogre in under 5 seconds on Nightmare" ridiculous. It makes the Beam Staff seem underpowered, if anything.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Skandranon posted:

I pretty much always use the trueflight as it's the best bow I have at the moment, but I don't think I'm ever going to get 'used' to it doing the opposite of what it should do.

I didn't quite mean it like that xD. I think in tightly packed scrums like defending a corner it can be hard to use because you cant lock on to far away targets very easily and i think the bow has a limit of 2 bodies for penetration, but its great for open areas especially on maps like horn. i believe if you don't have a target locked in, it just homes in on the nearest rat. im working on developing the feel for blind firing and taking advantage of that, but in general i dont shoot an arrow until i see what im aiming for get the orange highlight.

Syrnn
Aug 16, 2004

Lunethex posted:

Dream hagbane is Scavenger - Ammo Holder - Hail of Doom but I doubt that lineup of perks is in the list. A healing proc in place of scavenger would be acceptable though.

This combo is possible, as well as ditching scavenger for regrowth/bloodlust. There is a pretty terrible website called Vermintideutility.com that has one use for me: you can check what trait combinations you can get on weapons. It is incredibly useful to know if your "dream" configuration is available and for that alone I forgive its Byzantine design.

Hagbane is very, very, very good. It is often up in debate whether it is faster than Beam Staff for murdering Roger because the poison stacks(!), but basically it's in the same tier. FF is not the game destroyer everyone thinks, and honestly grudgeraker or blunderbuss destroy teammates more than people think poison/burn does if the user is responsible. Now, don't get me wrong, Trueflight is also very, very good, but in Cata I think I'd rather have the Hagbane precisely because it doubles down on both special and wave clear.

Also, other than the 1h weapons with no shield and possibly the 1h mace and axe for wizard and witch hunter, there really isn't a "wrong" weapon in the game. I used to hate the Repeater Rifle on Kruber because the Handgun is clearly king, but I've been experimenting ever since I got a nice set of traits: Rupture (99.5% chance to pierce), Skullcracker (14% chance it's an auto headshot), and Haste (7% on hit for 30% attack speed). I never use it with a two hander, but when I sword and shield Ursula is my best friend. It shreds stormvermin, helps thin waves before they get to the team, and on full auto with str pot it absolutely is better for dealing with Roger than trying to get in there with my shield to do 0 loving damage. Every character has situations like this, where people have let them 'settle' into a role, meaning nerds will yell at you for having fun 'wrong'. The dwarf is pretty much always seen with drakefire pistols and a shield, but contrary to poo poo people have spewed at me, slap a two handed hammer and a grudgeraker on him and he is a bonafide rat centrifuge, separating the denser rat bodies from their thinner mortal obligations. Al the characters have excellent alternatives for loadouts, and while Cata has some "no nonsense" understandings about Elf and Wizard for the sake of Roger, Nightmare and below is truly an anything goes for everyone.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

The Rats Chat guy pointed out you can actually hit Roger like a truck if you have master crafted handguns and use the fast reload trick to buck off tons of hip fire at approximately his head and in my limited experience trying it, it's been pretty great and I'm probably done ever punching Roger again.

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

I've got a rather stellar orange axe and shield for dwarf, but still prefer my blue two handed hammer in nearly every way. Once you get the rhythm down the crowd control is practically identical, but with a poo poo load more damage. With a very few outliers there really aren't bad weapons, but some click with people better than others.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

:suicide:

Syrnn
Aug 16, 2004

Huge Obamacare Fan posted:

I've got a rather stellar orange axe and shield for dwarf, but still prefer my blue two handed hammer in nearly every way. Once you get the rhythm down the crowd control is practically identical, but with a poo poo load more damage. With a very few outliers there really aren't bad weapons, but some click with people better than others.
The key difference is that the shield has like four stamina (2 shield) up on the hammer and can block Ratling Gunner fire for sweet, sweet distraction. I too use Hammer/Grudgeraker for my dwarf, but every now and then I forget and I'm like "Don't worry guys, I'll distract the gunner!" :v:

It could be worse.

That isn't Extra Ammunition, that's Extra Capacity. :gibs::hf::commissar:

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

Syrnn posted:

The key difference is that the shield has like four stamina (2 shield) up on the hammer and can block Ratling Gunner fire for sweet, sweet distraction. I too use Hammer/Grudgeraker for my dwarf, but every now and then I forget and I'm like "Don't worry guys, I'll distract the gunner!" :v:

Probably should have mentioned it has the trait that refills stamina on hit (kill?) with a pretty good roll. I've also never really worried about gunners, they usually get popped before they even finish spinning up.

Syrnn
Aug 16, 2004

Gunners aren't so bad, but the point of shield is deliberately giving up damage for the safety of keeping yourself (and other teammates) alive. The knockback is no joke either, and it has speed on the hammer by a long mile. Yeah, Gunners are normally dead in .05 seconds of winding up their gun, but that's ideal. Don't tell me you've never been the last man standing and in need of rezzing your allies or en route to their respawn while going 1v1 with specials. Playing with a shield is ultimately Team Insurance, and I for one never regret having someone with one. Hammer is more fun though, and healing off of it so Bardin makes trumpet noises with his mouth every second swing is its own reward.

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008
Just had a bunch of good rounds with Syrnn, where we mostly managed to pull through in spite of some downright abysmal pubbies. Make sure to stop by the group chat once in a while if you want to play harder difficulties with some lvl 100+ dudes, or if you need help on the lower difficulties. This game really is a lot more fun when you have competent people on your team!

edit: My Steam handle is Chillbro Swaggins, and if I'm in the chatroom that means I'm usually up for a game.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Nurel posted:

doubtful. i m using the 50% luckstone cos i've had bad luck with trinket loot, so i've been keeping an eye on it and its solid. if ever u get 3 items in 1 chest, its always a loot die in the middle. otherwise its just 1-2 items occupying the left and/or right place of the chest

Ok, it happened to me again, and I had the presence of mind to screenshot it. Note the bomb in the center:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Did you have a luck trinket on when it happened? I can't think of anytime I've seen something besides a die in the middle but I might just be forgetting.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Nope, I don't have one of those yet.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
A good day for rat killing on Engines of War :chord:

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Avenging Dentist posted:

Ok, it happened to me again, and I had the presence of mind to screenshot it. Note the bomb in the center:

o wow! i stand corrected then. i cant recall ever seeing something like this

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

in other news, I rolled regrowth, berserking and dev blow on a axe+shield and now I'm struggling to get 2.5+% on the regrowth. this looks like a perfect weapon for cata

Syrnn
Aug 16, 2004

Lunethex posted:

How :stare:

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Join me for a game sometime. I'm definitely going to be playing later. I'll be in the group chat.

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Feb 19, 2016

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

ign: Gnads
in to verify beyond the shadow of a doubt that the AP will kill every rat in the map without taking dmg, and will finish the map alone if necessary.
Lunethex u should help me/us get some cata clears :)

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Lunethex posted:

Your bullshit damage numbers don't fool me, I'm on to your secret!

PS: Lunethex is amazing and you should play with him, he even makes me playing the elf look good.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Call him Nigel the whole time though

Syrnn
Aug 16, 2004

Some days, the Vermintide community on steam is (barely) worth rutting through. Today was one of those days:

Slamoo posted:

All day Vermintide be like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epgRlxA_00U

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Psion posted:

Call him Nigel the whole time though

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Yo we're killing rats all over come into the chat and join my game right now!

My running mates both got Red weapons after Supply & Demand :chord:

This after the game crashed when I died. I was hosting so it had the effect of a black hole opening up from my corpse and consuming all life around it.

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Feb 20, 2016

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

They added the achievements for their DLC coming up. Seems like it's around the corner but still no hard date.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

I'm playing Last Stand in the beta right now, not bad, but there's of course AI pathfinding bugs. The nerfed the gas rat trinket because gently caress you, too.

Also somebody wrote this as a reason as to WHY we couldn't and shouldn't be allowed to give potions & draughts to other players. We can do that now in this patch.

Still can't trade bombs though but whatever.

edit: God damnit, something catastrophically broke in the game and I lost 30 minutes of time in the last stand. I just warped across the map and the screen blackened. I couldn't Ctrl-alt-delete or F4 so I had to sign out of windows.

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Feb 26, 2016

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe

Lunethex posted:

The nerfed the gas rat trinket because gently caress you, too.

What? Why? Christ as if they aren't bad enough when they catch you at a bad time.

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008
Hopefully the DLC will make the community a little more active. Downloading the beta right now, excited to try it.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

averox posted:

What? Why? Christ as if they aren't bad enough when they catch you at a bad time.

Because it was ~so OP~

I read the steam forums for this game and there are some twats on there in the league of Star Citizen defenders.

Also this

quote:

edit: God damnit, something catastrophically broke in the game and I lost 30 minutes of time in the last stand. I just warped across the map and the screen blackened. I couldn't Ctrl-alt-delete or F4 so I had to sign out of windows.

I am genuinely peeved after soloing three loving ogres, two at once.

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Feb 26, 2016

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe

Lunethex posted:

Because it was ~so OP~

So dumb. The balance is that you're giving up a slot for a single purpose. And that gas on Cataclysm is outright insane.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Lunethex posted:

Also somebody wrote this as a reason as to WHY we couldn't and shouldn't be allowed to give potions & draughts to other players. We can do that now in this patch.

But that person is right? It's not a simulation; it's a game mechanic. I don't really care how the mechanic works, but trying to argue based on what makes sense as a simulation is missing the point.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Avenging Dentist posted:

But that person is right? It's not a simulation; it's a game mechanic. I don't really care how the mechanic works, but trying to argue based on what makes sense as a simulation is missing the point.

The reason we couldn't before is it was likely a feature that got moved down because it wasn't important. Now the game is released, they have money, they are working through some of these issues. Someone got around to implementing "throw potion to guy", so now we can. For all we know, Kerillian being a sympathetic character that we all come to love was a core feature that got cut, and we are just left with the turbo-rear end in a top hat part.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

I mean sure, yeah, but that post appears to be replying to someone who's trying to make a narrative justification for the feature, rather than a mechanical justification.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Avenging Dentist posted:

I mean sure, yeah, but that post appears to be replying to someone who's trying to make a narrative justification for the feature, rather than a mechanical justification.

Oh yeah, he's a complete lunatic. Probably the same guy complaining about how Warhammer is crap fantasy because it doesn't do fantasy tropes well enough, but TES does.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Skandranon posted:

The reason we couldn't before is it was likely a feature that got moved down because it wasn't important. Now the game is released, they have money, they are working through some of these issues. Someone got around to implementing "throw potion to guy", so now we can. For all we know, Kerillian being a sympathetic character that we all come to love was a core feature that got cut, and we are just left with the turbo-rear end in a top hat part.

your elf apologia is getting way out of hand

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
Is there anywhere goons congregate to play together?

Also, I really like the style of the big soldier dude, so I was wondering if there's any specific weapons he gets that I should be aiming for.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Sperglord Firecock posted:

Is there anywhere goons congregate to play together?

Also, I really like the style of the big soldier dude, so I was wondering if there's any specific weapons he gets that I should be aiming for.

Repeater handgun
sword/shield

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Tiler Kiwi posted:

your elf apologia is getting way out of hand

:begins writing fanfic:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Last Stand is pretty cool until you get 40 minutes in and the host crashes. I did a short game with bots, got to wave 8 or something and got 9 green ore. Getting to wave 13 upgrades the difficulty as well as unlocking the next one up in matchmaking. One of the waves had two rat ogres :negative:

• Locked thread