Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

They definitely do although one or two fights in seven were underwhelming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Also because f the party system you effectively have 3 lives on every boss, which will probably matter a lot more on hard/nightmare

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
ys games taught me all i want is a game that is nothing but badass bosses with cool patterns and kickass music!! yeah!!!

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

ArfJason posted:

ys games taught me all i want is a game that is nothing but badass bosses with cool patterns and kickass music!! yeah!!!

fyi you do unlock Toal after just Yunica in Ys Origin and he's extremely fun. I've already fought like 4 new bosses and it seems like he fights all of the great giant bosses. I'm on the sandworm now though and don't know what to do without Yunica's phoenix.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Evil Eagle posted:

fyi you do unlock Toal after just Yunica in Ys Origin and he's extremely fun. I've already fought like 4 new bosses and it seems like he fights all of the great giant bosses. I'm on the sandworm now though and don't know what to do without Yunica's phoenix.

*unsheathes ys origin*

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Evil Eagle posted:

I reinstalled this last night to play Toal but idk when I'll actually get to it.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

this god drat sandworm

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Evil Eagle posted:

this god drat sandworm

its such a bad boss

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

it's fine as yunica since you can hit all of the stars at once, toal has no ranged moves so he has to focus on each on separately and I just learned that not only do the stars heal the boss but new ones pop up if you don't kill the old ones fast enough.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I liked it with Yunica but if Toal doesn't have a projectile idk how I would do it

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I did it. The key was that it seems like the healing doesn't really matter all that much, you just need to get him to his vulnerable state when there are 6 stars in the arena. maybe I'm wrong

also a lot of boost mode to kill the stars.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Evil Eagle posted:

I did it. The key was that it seems like the healing doesn't really matter all that much, you just need to get him to his vulnerable state when there are 6 stars in the arena. maybe I'm wrong

also a lot of boost mode to kill the stars.

It's weak to fire magic.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Slur posted:

It's weak to fire magic.

haven't gotten the hang of Toal's fire magic yet, thunder has been my go to for damage so far.

also the mantis was fun with him.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I figured out why my SP is so low.

Those big crystals are worth 500 on hard mode. on nightmare they're only worth 1.

so if you ever play nightmare do not buy the get more sp ability and instead use the sp that you get from chests on something useful. I doubt I'll even be able to upgrade my final armor much less get faster boost and skill charge.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Evil Eagle posted:

I figured out why my SP is so low.

Those big crystals are worth 500 on hard mode. on nightmare they're only worth 1.

so if you ever play nightmare do not buy the get more sp ability and instead use the sp that you get from chests on something useful. I doubt I'll even be able to upgrade my final armor much less get faster boost and skill charge.
Yeah, that's the lovely thing about Nightmare mode. I had maybe four upgrades total when I beat Nightmare with Hugo, and I think it was with the 'increase SP' ability.

Actually just checked my save and nope, strengthened the eyes of Fact, leveled up my armor, and nothing else.

Bobby The Rookie fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jan 10, 2016

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

In Training posted:

They definitely do although one or two fights in seven were underwhelming.

the bosses in moc were pretty great. the fish boss is solid for a water boss, which are usually underwhelming or awkward in a lot of games and most of the other ones are very good. the stompy horse thing was my first ys boss and it blew my mind with how fun he was.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ys does water right because your move speed isn't really affected, it's more like Low G mode so they have fun underwater bosses with lots of bigass jumping

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
im going to continue my play through of Ys I fairly soon methinks. i was really enjoying it so idk why i stopped in the first place

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

I beat Origin with Toal. That was insanely epic.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

What is Ancient Ys Vanished: Omen. It's the full name for the first game

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal

rediscover posted:

im going to continue my play through of Ys I fairly soon methinks. i was really enjoying it so idk why i stopped in the first place

id give you a fist bump but that might kill you :cheeky:

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Bobby The Rookie posted:

I beat Origin with Toal. That was insanely epic.

I guess you can say it was good for a matter of Fact.

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

Started playing Origins today, beat the first two bosses abd felt pretty good about it. playing as Yunica

Might finish it by the end of the week unless I get stuck on a boss

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

there's no Ys on 3DS so I'm making do with this.

the bosses in lbw actually do kind of feel like ys bosses when you only have 3 hearts and don't upgrade your sword/armor/items and never pick up a shield.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Triforce Heroes bosses also feel like Ys bosses, in the games where you have party members, except instead of having good AI, everyone else on your team is programmed to walk into every attack and your health is shared so you continually fail all the bosses through no fault of your own :grin:

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

In Training posted:

Triforce Heroes bosses also feel like Ys bosses, in the games where you have party members, except instead of having good AI, everyone else on your team is programmed to walk into every attack and your health is shared so you continually fail all the bosses through no fault of your own :grin:

sounds epic, that's definitely on my list for February.

The final boss of LBW is incredibly hard when you die in 1 hit and have to hit it 64 times to move it in to phase 2. Then in phase 2 you play tennis and if your timing is off the ball smacks right in to your face for an instakill.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

http://gematsu.com/2016/02/ys-viii-introduces-raksha-sahad

Bump

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Evil Eagle posted:

there's no Ys on 3DS so I'm making do with this.

the bosses in lbw actually do kind of feel like ys bosses when you only have 3 hearts and don't upgrade your sword/armor/items and never pick up a shield.

Oh, so that's how you make albw an actually tolerable game

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Slur posted:

:staredog:

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Slur posted:

You are a loving badass.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

net cafe scandal posted:

You are a loving badass.

I want to suck that guys dick. Just kidding

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

My PSTV is here. It's Ys time baby.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

Evil Eagle posted:

My PSTV is here. It's Ys time baby.

Aw Ys!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

http://gematsu.com/2016/02/ys-viii-details-dana-dual-protagonists

Bump. Ys 8 has two protagonists and two worlds. you control adol in the real world, and Dana in the dream world inside Adol's head. Badass

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Her design is cool, check out those swords

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

In Training posted:

Bump. Ys 8 has two protagonists and two worlds. you control adol in the real world, and Dana in the dream world inside Adol's head. Badass

Ys: Dream Team

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

In Training posted:

Okay that's awesome.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Think about now insane boss designs are in Ys games...now imagine how next level they will be if they apply dream logic and go completely out of control

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

In Training posted:

Her design is cool, check out those swords

shes in my head now too

• Locked thread