Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015

SopWATh posted:

Are tins of fish suddenly cheaper than boneless skinless chicken breast, 'cause I find it hard to believe.

Given what this thread has claimed, that dude is just trying to out-dad you.

speakin of chicken it's thanks to this thread that i finally tried some canned chunk chicken and it's actually not nearly as bad or disgusting as i afraid of

kinda wish i was eating this poo poo back when i gave a gently caress about health and lifting weights and all that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Had a tin of KO meds with some tejas pete at work today after the gym. Usually take five or six fish oil caps but I wanted to skeve out the youngsters in the shop while getting omegas. Boy did it smell for a few minutes, but I was nice and rinsed the tin before tossing. :)

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

King of Bees posted:

Here dat shed kraut. ¡Living food! I loving gently caress gently caress love science arrrgh! :argh:

Yep that's a shed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpUCgbgBHhg

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
In other cabbage news the hippie store had a new brand of kimchi. I was excited by this because it looked okay. Then I realized they had two varieties, Japanese and Korean, which is also cool because Japanese people have a slightly different kimchi they make that I also like. Then I realized they also had a Thai variety and started going WAIT A MINUTE NO DON'T OH GOD OH GODDDD WHY while putting one of the Korean tubs in my faggy two story eurocart. I get home and put all the poo poo on the stove and get the little square plastic jar out and it has like a loving cardboard sticker that goes over the lid and wraps under the jar that has to be peeled/torn off so now it looks like poo poo, and I realize there are a ton of loving sesame seeds in there and think OH HOLY LORD NO gently caress YOU YOU HONKEY MOTHERFUCKERS YOU CAN'T JUST PUT SESAME IN EVERYTHING YOU THINK IS loving ASIAN. The plastic fork in my hand trembles. The kimchi is blasted, the cabbage has lost all of its structure and is cut into way too small pieces anyway, almost shredded. It's sour as gently caress, like six weeks past prime. I bang open the window and in this instance of the remake of the 1970s Cannery Row starring Nick Nolte as underachieving amateur marine biologist "Doc" (as myself) the pier layabouts have become loving Greeks and I pitch the lovely jar of kimchi at their matchingly sour and disappointing faces.

raton fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Feb 25, 2016

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZNNwzA0J4M

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Huge_Midget posted:

This thread is great and full of wonderfully dadly things. The recent pickle/kimchi talk makes me happy. However, have you heard about the good word of liptauer?

What is liptauer you ask? It is a wonderful dadly concoction of cheese and magical spices, utterly perfect to go with black breads, pretzels, etc. There are recipes out there to make your own, but I will stand by my opinion that the liptauer that Zingerman's makes is the best stuff on earth. Also, if you don't know what Zingerman's is you obviously aren't from the great lakes and I feel sorry for you.

I make Korozott (the Hungarian version of this) at home, here's my recipe (warning, this is hideously bad for you)(note, the dairy product you use is going to vary based on what you can get. I can get very good feta and cow-quark in NYC, but getting actual lipto cheese (which is basically sheep-quark) eludes me, hence the blend):

8oz brined feta, drained
8oz quark
4oz (1 stick) unsalted butter (slightly softened)
1 tin anchovies, drained
2 shallots, peeled
3 cloves garlic
1 tablespoon caraway seeds, whole
2+ tablespoons sweet paprika, may include some hot if you want to

1) Toast caraway
2) If you have a mortar, crush toasted caraway and smash garlic in it. If you don't, skip this and include them whole in (3)
3) Add anchovies, shallots, caraway and garlic to bowl of food processor, pulse until a rough paste
4) Add feta to processor, pulse until uniform
5) Add quark, pulse until uniform
6) Add paprika to taste
7) Add butter, process to smooth
8) Finalize seasoning (salt/paprika), pulse to incorporate
9) Chill, eat on everything.

Test Pattern fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Feb 25, 2016

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I have a new food processor, are there any rad sardine spreads or dips I can make
e: that don't require something called quark

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Sheep-Goats posted:

In other cabbage news the hippie store had a new brand of kimchi. I was excited by this because it looked okay. Then I realized they had two varieties, Japanese and Korean, which is also cool because Japanese people have a slightly different kimchi they make that I also like. Then I realized they also had a Thai variety and started going WAIT A MINUTE NO DON'T OH GOD OH GODDDD WHY while putting one of the Korean tubs in my faggy two story eurocart. I get home and put all the poo poo on the stove and get the little square plastic jar out and it has like a loving cardboard sticker that goes over the lid and wraps under the jar that has to be peeled/torn off so now it looks like poo poo, and I realize there are a ton of loving sesame seeds in there and think OH HOLY LORD NO gently caress YOU YOU HONKEY MOTHERFUCKERS YOU CAN'T JUST PUT SESAME IN EVERYTHING YOU THINK IS loving ASIAN. The plastic fork in my hand trembles. The kimchi is blasted, the cabbage has lost all of its structure and is cut into way too small pieces anyway, almost shredded. It's sour as gently caress, like six weeks past prime. I bang open the window and in this instance of the remake of the 1970s Cannery Row starring Nick Nolte as underachieving amateur marine biologist "Doc" (as myself) the pier layabouts have become loving Greeks and I pitch the lovely jar of kimchi at their matchingly sour and disappointing faces.

hippies dude. hippies will ruin everything except weed and coffee.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Are hippies basically pickled white people?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Test Pattern posted:

I make Korozott (the Hungarian version of this) at home, here's my recipe (warning, this is hideously bad for you)(note, the dairy product you use is going to vary based on what you can get. I can get very good feta and cow-quark in NYC, but getting actual lipto cheese (which is basically sheep-quark) eludes me, hence the blend):

8oz brined feta, drained
8oz quark
4oz (1 stick) unsalted butter (slightly softened)
1 tin anchovies, drained
2 shallots, peeled
3 cloves garlic
1 tablespoon caraway seeds, whole
2+ tablespoons sweet paprika, may include some hot if you want to

1) Toast caraway
2) If you have a mortar, crush toasted caraway and smash garlic in it. If you don't, skip this and include them whole in (3)
3) Add anchovies, shallots, caraway and garlic to bowl of food processor, pulse until a rough paste
4) Add feta to processor, pulse until uniform
5) Add quark, pulse until uniform
6) Add paprika to taste
7) Add butter, process to smooth
8) Finalize seasoning (salt/paprika), pulse to incorporate
9) Chill, eat on everything.

Make picture I put in OP ok

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Sizone posted:

hippies dude. hippies will ruin everything except weed and coffee.

Where hippies proliferate the bread and beer is also good and I am thankful for that and also for their general capacity to annoy my true enemy, the hick.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Mortimer posted:

I have a new food processor, are there any rad sardine spreads or dips I can make

Make that anchovy spread from the OP it's dank af

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
the line between hick and hippie can be a vague and nebulous thing

eg., a true hippie dragged into a city will appear, to most, as a hick

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Mortimer posted:

Not dines, but salt cod:
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/10/brandade-salt-cod-spread-recipe.html

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Sizone posted:

the line between hick and hippie can be a vague and nebulous thing

eg., a true hippie dragged into a city will appear, to most, as a hick

This line is buffered by the gentle backwoods folk/bluegrass singer, a person that is a shaman between the hippies and hicks as they are fond of drugs and liberalism, yet fluent in trucks and blue collar work

Though lots of hippies I know are handy as gently caress so maybe that's not the best dividing line

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
There is a kind of hippie that is closer to a hick yet everyone knows a hick when they see one and it is truly a repugnant animal. Hippies are universally benign (unless concentrated due to a music festival).

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
But bluegrass is infinitely better than jam bands.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

DiggityDoink posted:

"Taller than a midget, give me a ribbon"

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

DiggityDoink posted:

So is a root canal

But bluegrass does own

ShitheadDeluxe
May 14, 2007

doctorfrog posted:

Are hippies basically pickled white people?

You're thinking of the Irish.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Mortimer posted:

Use cottage cheese, just process until smooth.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Test Pattern posted:

Use cottage cheese, just process until smooth.

I hosed up your poo poo and put it in the op but you should still post a picture of a clay jar in a Hungarian paddock full of the pink food you made

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy
KO is running a facebook contest for the Oscars, guess the winners and win a bust of the king himself

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
Just so you guys know, Alshark Moroccan Sardines in Spicy Oil are totally legit, and probably my new favorites. There were 4 fish in the can and they were the plumpest and firmest I've ever had. The smell as I opened the tin was sublime, a nice super-fresh fish smell, and a hint of smoke and spice. That fresh-fish smell persisted on the palate as well as the light smoke. The spice was almost unnoticeable upon first bite, but after a few more bites it was a pleasant, flavorful tingle on my tongue. What I like about the spiciness is that it's definitely there and will scratch that itch for sardines and Tobasco. However, if you wanted to ramp up the spice you could add more heat and the robust nature of the fish would stand up, no problem. I can't tell you which was more remarkable, the amazing freshness of the smell and taste or the amazing firmness of the fish.

These things don't seem to be easy to come by. Luckily, there's a little Moroccan Deli in my town run by a very nice Moroccan couple. They cost me $3 a tin, which at that quality level I'm going to go ahead and say they are a stellar value.

You can find them online pretty cheap (make sure to check shipping charges, though). I'm going to keep buying them at the deli because I like supporting those people, but if you can't find them locally, buy them online for next to nothing!

Overwined fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Feb 26, 2016

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?

Overwined posted:

Just so you guys know, Alshark Moroccan Sardines in Spicy Oil are totally legit, and probably my new favorites. There were 4 fish in the can and they were the plumpest and firmest I've ever had. The smell as I opened the tin was sublime, a nice super-fresh fish smell, and a hint of smoke and spice. That fresh-fish smell persisted on the palate as well as the light smoke. The spice was almost unnoticeable upon first bite, but after a few more bites it was a pleasant, flavorful tingle on my tongue. What I like about the spiciness is that it's definitely there and will scratch that itch for sardines and Tobasco. However, if you wanted to ramp up the spice you could add more heat and the robust nature of the fish would stand up, no problem. I can't tell you which was more remarkable, the amazing freshness of the smell and taste or the amazing firmness of the fish.

These things don't seem to be easy to come by. Luckily, there's a little Moroccan Deli in my town run by a very nice Moroccan couple. They cost me $3 a tin, which at that quality level I'm going to go ahead and say they are a stellar value.

Here they are for sale for $1.95! :eyepop: I'm going to keep buying them at the deli because I like supporting those people, but if you can't find them locally, buy them online for next to nothing!

Not exactly cheap given that the shipping for 2 tins is $11.32.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Male Tears posted:

Not exactly cheap given that the shipping for 2 tins is $11.32.

Holy poo poo, thanks for catching that. The store is in Connecticut so I thought shipping to the US would be cheap, but I just checked and shipping to GA where I live is $12.81 for two tins by the cheapest method. That's loving absurd! I'm going to edit that link out since that site seems to be scammy.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
RAPID DEPLOYMENT BACON BURG SYSTEM ASSEMBLED

CHECJ

LOAD INTO FRIDGE

CHECK

WEEK OF BURGIN, NOTIFY THE CAPTAIN

NOTIFIED CAPATAINN!!!

P R E P A R E . T O . B U R G

raton fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Feb 26, 2016

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

what the heck !!!

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Whuh oh did up too much onion gotta let it dry a little no one copy my onion long term storage strats

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Sheep-Goats posted:

Whuh oh did up too much onion gotta let it dry a little no one copy my onion long term storage strats

no worries, not gonna put floor tile on my walls anytime soon buddy

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Sizone posted:

no worries, not gonna put floor tile on my walls anytime soon buddy

The gently caress you won't pal

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Why do you need to dry the onions

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

Why do you need to dry the onions

They don't need to be "dry" dry but I rinsed them while breaking them up and they got too wet to put away right away and I don't wanna waste

So I used a paper towel and a ziplock and a plastic bag to save like eighty cents worth of onion

Thrifty

Thrift

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Da fug?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Yeah boy

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
dads hate wasting poo poo. we pay for the poo poo.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

while you're at it, turn down the goddamn thermostat and put on a sweater.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

doctorfrog posted:

while you're at it, turn down the goddamn thermostat and put on a sweater.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3750225

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013

Earwicker posted:

i'm not a dad but i do enjoy sardines. however as far as tiny fish go, i like anchovies even more. grind them up into a paste with a bunch of garlic and its good with everything

Good one.

I got a Caesar salad and chopped some up, and extra cheese and it was awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Hmm, I wonder what Anchovy Pesto tastes like...