Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
First impressions of "Skin Deep":

- Author is one of those morons obsessed with Tumblr-style reader questions

- Starts with mopy college freshman being told how special she is and meeting wacky people

- Turning into an animal as a metaphor for queer awakening

Conclusion: LOL

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Feb 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Conclusion: LOL

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

- Turning into an animal as a metaphor for queer awakening

That's the one thing I'm not really seeing. I don't think Skin Deep is meant to be any sort of metaphor for anything, I don't see it as having any sort of pretension beyond the author daydreaming about fantasy creatures being real.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

- Author is one of those morons obsessed with Tumblr-style reader questions

does "Tumblr-style" mean like in-character text RP, or does she do reaction comics? Because responding to reader questions with comic reactions was a thing on DA waaay before Tumblr

Cat Mattress posted:

That's the one thing I'm not really seeing. I don't think Skin Deep is meant to be any sort of metaphor for anything, I don't see it as having any sort of pretension beyond the author daydreaming about fantasy creatures being real.

Comparing queer people to rare and special magical beasts who probably have magic abilities that would let them easily take anyone in a one-on-one fight does have some Unfortunate Implications.... man why do people keep using monsters that way in comics?

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Feb 26, 2016

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Nuns with Guns posted:

does "Tumblr-style" mean like in-character text RP, or does she do reaction comics? Because responding to reader questions with comic reactions was a thing on DA waaay before Tumblr

"Tumblr-style" is probably wrong.

She answers a reader question daily with some sketch on hiatus.

addendum: :geno:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Nuns with Guns posted:

Comparing queer people to rare and special magical beasts who probably have magic abilities that would let them easily take anyone in a one-on-one fight does have some Unfortunate Implications.... man why do people keep using monsters that way in comics?

"Minorities, here represented by freaks and monsters" seems to be a common thread among allegorical stories. I guess it could be trying to say that if you're gay or what have you, this is what society makes you feel like. But I think it's more just that the author is usually seeing more of themselves in the opressors.

I think the only time I've seen the regular ol' relatable humans be the minority is The Last Cowboy.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The basic idea is fine, it's just muddled up by factors the authors bring in themselves.

Like X-Men. They represent a minority, but they go to a private schools, fly their own jets, and all look like supermodels. It becomes a allegory for how the upper classes are persecuted by the masses.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Also unlike minorities they are actually dangerous on account of shooting lasers and whatnot. I read a very good analysis of that a couple of days ago, I'll see if I can find it again.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
95% of Skin Deep's cast also seems to consist of wealthy dilettantes who exist entirely in coffeeshops and/or snarky bohemians who appear to make a living out of nothing but underground music gigs and poo poo-talking their friends, so it makes the whole social-struggle angle even harder to swallow.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
That's why I don't see any social struggle aspect at all.

Compare to Monsterkind.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

paradoxGentleman posted:

Also unlike minorities they are actually dangerous on account of shooting lasers and whatnot. I read a very good analysis of that a couple of days ago, I'll see if I can find it again.

Again, that's something that still works in principle. After all, societies isolate and marginalize its "dangerous" classes. You just need to accept laser eyes as metaphorical, so the story isn't actually about the rights of laser-eyed people.

The class elements (private school and jets etc.) is where X-Men's allegory falls apart.

e:

Oxxidation posted:

95% of Skin Deep's cast also seems to consist of wealthy dilettantes who exist entirely in coffeeshops and/or snarky bohemians who appear to make a living out of nothing but underground music gigs and poo poo-talking their friends, so it makes the whole social-struggle angle even harder to swallow.

The other thread has enjoyed Monster Pop (not to be confused with Monsterkind) for some time now, and it's somehow even worse about the monster minority thing. The author has basically forgotten that the comic was originally about that and not anime high-school crushes (in college).

The recent entries of Monster Pop had a literal lecture (in a university and everything) about how something being seemingly plotless isn't a bad thing, but it's interesting just to throw characters together and see how they interact.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Mar 7, 2016

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Cat Mattress posted:

That's why I don't see any social struggle aspect at all.

Compare to Monsterkind.

Yeah, I don't see Skin Deep as an allegory about social struggle either. It's really just a fantasy world scenario. Remember the cartoon Gargoyles? Secret monsters live all over the world, only a select few know about them. Heck, some of them could even appear human. The It's just that, but with more kinds of monsters. The fact that this has some crossover with furries and otherkin is probably an issue for the author, but that doesn't seem the intent, either.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
But Gargoyles was hugely about social stigma? Like that was probably the most dominant theme in the entire show?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Was it? I honestly don't remember a while lot about the show.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Wait, isn't Monsterkind also about the persecuted monster minority that are all tall handsome men, or am I unfairly characterizing the comic?

I remember I dipped back into it recently but was really really offput by the one character who seems to be Beaker scaled up, complete with giant grapefruit-sized eyes.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
Necropolis continues to be fantastic, although this is the last update until April.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Just Offscreen posted:

Necropolis continues to be fantastic, although this is the last update until April.

It just goes to show, never bring an enchanted sword to a fist fight.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

RoboCicero posted:

Wait, isn't Monsterkind also about the persecuted monster minority that are all tall handsome men, or am I unfairly characterizing the comic?

I remember I dipped back into it recently but was really really offput by the one character who seems to be Beaker scaled up, complete with giant grapefruit-sized eyes.

No, that's a pretty fair take from what I saw of it. It pushed the persecution angle pretty hard but the monsters live in what looks like an upscale gated community and the unresolved homoerotic tension is laid on so thick that you could copy-paste a speech bubble reading "JUST KISS" into every panel without really losing the overall effect.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Monsterkind is good

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Bobulus posted:

Was it? I honestly don't remember a while lot about the show.

"The access code is... 'ALONE'."

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Bobulus posted:

Yeah, I don't see Skin Deep as an allegory about social struggle either. It's really just a fantasy world scenario. Remember the cartoon Gargoyles? Secret monsters live all over the world, only a select few know about them. Heck, some of them could even appear human. The It's just that, but with more kinds of monsters. The fact that this has some crossover with furries and otherkin is probably an issue for the author, but that doesn't seem the intent, either.

Yeah I think this thread is reading too hard into it; the discrimination allegory isn't in every plot about supernatural creatures in the modern world. It's more like wizards in Harry Potter.

RoboCicero posted:

The point was that it's a compare/contrast thing. Monsterkind actually explicitly is a metaphor.

mycot fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Feb 26, 2016

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

A big failure of these sort of fantasy minority-persecution stories is that they seem to be really bad at explaining why there's persecution to begin with. Why is Big Gay Muppet Beaker or Blue Vampire Man a target of fantasy racism? Why would regular people shun Green-Haired Rich Bohemian Griffon? If these stories bother addressing these questions at all, it usually ends up being "because racists are jerks" or "an evil man is behind it all" and then quickly move on, but that just does the story a disservice.

There are good stories to tell when exploring why people are homophobic, or racist, or transphobic, as well as solid stories to be told about the emotional and the socioeconomic effects of racism, but those stories tend to be ignored in favor of showing characters we're told are oppressed sipping coffee and strumming guitars/blogging/attending university until maybe (if the author feels it necessary to remind the viewers that the characters are the targets of discrimination) some regular human shows up, angrily yells "YOU PEOPLE" and then there's a chapter of crying.

Like, props to Poppy, there's reasons said and shown why possums are shat on by the rest of society there. Vattu seems to be doing a solid job of showing what it's like to be part of the downtrodden minorities, on top of being a story about Fantasy Arminius.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Ofaloaf posted:

Like, props to Poppy, there's reasons said and shown why possums are shat on by the rest of society there.

I agree that the animal racism in Poppy is much more nuanced than in any other story I've seen with something similar. Everyone is nominally ok with possums, it's just that when it comes to anything significant people show how they really feel. :(

edit: As an aside drat you guys really hate coffee houses.

mycot fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Feb 26, 2016

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Wait, Vattu still isn't finished? :psyduck:

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

mycot posted:

edit: As an aside drat you guys really hate coffee houses.
I drink coffee like it's water, but young people sitting in a cafe, mulling over their social lives and ruminating on the meaning of whatever is absolutely bougie as gently caress.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I agree that it's important to provide some clarity as to why the discrimination exists in the form chosen in the comic, but I also think these stories (ironically) don't tend to represent a lot of diversity among their monsters as people. The ideological conflicts tend to be very, well, suggestive of discussions among young artists. This thread, for example, spent some time discussing Christian symbolism/imagery like it was bizarre or "weird", but if you go out and about, a very good number of people are Christians and having Christianity be a strong theme in someone's work is not strange at all? For fun, I did a story with a politically conservative monster and a lot of people told me it was loving weird.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Pick posted:

I agree that it's important to provide some clarity as to why the discrimination exists in the form chosen in the comic, but I also think these stories (ironically) don't tend to represent a lot of diversity among their monsters as people. The ideological conflicts tend to be very, well, suggestive of discussions among young artists. This thread, for example, spent some time discussing Christian symbolism/imagery like it was bizarre or "weird", but if you go out and about, a very good number of people are Christians and having Christianity be a strong theme in someone's work is not strange at all? For fun, I did a story with a politically conservative monster and a lot of people told me it was loving weird.

I think that's a general genre fiction thing. Ultimately people want to write about what they like except for the occasional gimmick (like you said).

Ofaloaf posted:

I drink coffee like it's water, but young people sitting in a cafe, mulling over their social lives and ruminating on the meaning of whatever is absolutely bougie as gently caress.

The coffee house is an integral part of South Korean culture and I will stand for it.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
if webcomic writers were actually talented they wouldn't be writing webcomics

Hogge Wild fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Feb 26, 2016

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Counterpoint

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Hogge Wild posted:

if this is really your attitude towards webcomics in spite of all of the incredible work that's being done what are you even doing in this thread

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Empress Theonora posted:

all of the incredible work that's being done

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
Move over Mona Lisa

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I felt a need to check this thread, and it seems my source of liver failure once again is the cause.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Hogge Wild posted:

mate if you had talent you wouldn't be posting. but seriously.. c'mon dude why do you even post this? what should web comic creators be doing instead? making print comics? like what is your metric for talent? How much money a person makes? Those marvel movies are the pinnacle of human creativity.

It's ok to enjoy things, like yeah there is some crap out there, but like why don't you take some stock in what you are doing with yourself. it's ok to admit there are some pretty neat comics out there, but beyond that earnestly trying to create a comic is pretty hard and puts you in a very vulnerable position. do you need a hug? or have you had bad friends your whole life?

come with me SA poster Hog Wilde... and find a thing to enjoy on the Internet :ghost:

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Hogge Wild posted:

Some folks got their start in webcomics and went on to do other things, but their webcomics gave them the exposure to get the opportunity to do those other things.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
webcomics are fun

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

i am grateful for the fine folks who put their pictures and stories on the internet for me to enjoy :)

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I'm grateful too for the most part, but my grandpa didn't kill Hitler with a bible in one hand and a crying bald eagle in the other just for me to withhold my own opinions about discrimination allegories in fantasy settings.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Well I still think it's worth discussing them, like that's part of having respect for a property is discussing it like the art it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Ofaloaf posted:

I'm grateful too for the most part, but my grandpa didn't kill Hitler with a bible in one hand and a crying bald eagle in the other just for me to withhold my own opinions about discrimination allegories in fantasy settings.

Did he kill Hitler with the bible, the eagle, or like his feet?

• Locked thread