Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Arglebargle III posted:

I thought those were the surveillance drone that were all hush hush until Iran shot one down.

They were WAY too big to be RQ-170s. At contrail chemtrail altitudes, that triangle was the size of a real bomber or airliner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Arglebargle III posted:

I thought those were the surveillance drone that were all hush hush until Iran shot one down.

No, these were B-2 sized, and once spotted the Air Force then flew B-2's on the same path to throw a smoke screen.

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/so-what-were-those-secret-flying-wing-aircraft-spotted-1555124270

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Foxtrot Alpha did an article where they theorized that it was a rumored black project plane supposedly coded TR-3. So a newfangled U-2.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

VikingSkull posted:

No, these were B-2 sized, and once spotted the Air Force then flew B-2's on the same path to throw a smoke screen.

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/so-what-were-those-secret-flying-wing-aircraft-spotted-1555124270

X-47B and theyre mistaken about the size maybe? I guess front shape isnt quite right. Also maybe some hypersonic test bed or something.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Feb 26, 2016

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Dandywalken posted:

Here's a decent Russian Assault-engineer/Sapper photo set:

http://nortwolf-sam.livejournal.com/1180821.html

Do we have anything like those coolant-suits?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Warrior_(U.S._Army)

quote:

The Microclimate Cooling System (MCS) gives Army aircrews an increase of over 350 percent (from 1.6 hours to 5.7 hours) mission endurance while wearing chemical protective equipment or in other heat stress mission environments. The system features a vest and aircraft-mounted cooling unit that pumps chilled water via an umbilical to small tubes embedded in the vest. Because of its success as part of the Air Warrior ensemble, the MCS is also being used by crews in ground vehicle platforms in Operation Iraqi Freedom, including Stryker, Abrams, and Bradley.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
B-21, better go full anime with the name and call it Spirit Lancer.

_firehawk
Sep 12, 2004
So this is awkward. It looks like the continued existence of ISIS is keeping the A-10's flying until 2022. :obama:

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

VikingSkull posted:

This begs the question, what the gently caress were those flying triangles spotted a while ago then? :tinfoil:

Northrup did announce a few weeks back that they've been developing 6th gen stealth fighters and that they were only a years away from a finished product, could be early prototypes or test craft.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I'm putting money on the B-21 designation being something to do with "TWENTY-FIRST CENTURY BOMBER OF THE FUTURE."

SSN-21
CG-21
DDG-21

There is precedence.

Military and economic historians of the future are going to look at the US military in the immediate post-cold war to ~2020 period and laaaaaaaaugh.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Sucks that the name "Blackjack" is already taken.

MrYenko posted:

I'm putting money on the B-21 designation being something to do with "TWENTY-FIRST CENTURY BOMBER OF THE FUTURE."

SSN-21
CG-21
DDG-21

There is precedence.

Military and economic historians of the future are going to look at the US military in the immediate post-cold war to ~2020 period and laaaaaaaaugh.

Hey, at least they aren't calling it "Bomber 2000" like it's a 90's flight sim game.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
Looks like a point release on the B-2 to me. B-2.1

But hey, there has been a lot of inflation since last time Northrop built a two billion dollar bomber we couldn't afford.

[efb to the 2.1 joke]

Slo-Tek fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Feb 26, 2016

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Hey, at least they aren't calling it "Bomber 2000" like it's a 90's flight sim game.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Slo-Tek posted:

Looks like a point release on the B-2 to me. B-2.1

But hey, there has been a lot of inflation since last time Northrop built a two billion dollar bomber we couldn't afford.

[efb to the 2.1 joke]

I can't wait for it to cost more than the B-2. This is going to be amazing.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MrYenko posted:

I can't wait for it to cost more than the B-2. This is going to be amazing.

I'm looking forward to the justification for the Trump wall to be "Its only 1 B-21 bomber"

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.
http://news.usni.org/2016/02/26/navy-will-not-buy-more-rmmvs-will-pursue-system-of-systems-approach-to-mine-countermeasures

Clearly this modular solution is working - when it sucks - just cut it. Didn't they already cut another part of the MCM package?

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

MrYenko posted:

SSN-21
CG-21
DDG-21

There is precedence.

From the article:

"The Air Force settled on the B-21 designation as recognition that LRS-B is the first bomber of the 21st century, the statement noted."

So yeah, you're right. Lol.

wkarma
Jul 16, 2010
Y'all say B-2.1....I say B-2 RC1....

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete

That Works posted:

Some LRSB stuff released. Looks like just a render and the designation B-21

http://www.defensenews.com/story/breaking-news/2016/02/26/b-21-bomber-air-force-lrsb/80976160/

Why isn't it called the B-3.
Edit: Damnit.

Reminds me of how C&C Generals had bombers in it that were identical to the B-2 but called the B-3 and described as an upgraded version.

Concordat fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Feb 27, 2016

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

It's the B-21 because it's 18 better.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Sucks that the name "Blackjack" is already taken.

It is funny to me that the picture on this page is not the Hawkeye 2000.

This is an E-2C Hawkeye 2000: Notice different propeller and dunce cap on dome.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Splode posted:

From the article:

"The Air Force settled on the B-21 designation as recognition that LRS-B is the first bomber of the 21st century, the statement noted."

So yeah, you're right. Lol.

The B-21 was built by North American in 1936.

This version is nothing moree than a terrible doppelganger that I shall heretofore refer to as The Boondoggle Bomber.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

CarForumPoster posted:

It is funny to me that the picture on this page is not the Hawkeye 2000.

This is an E-2C Hawkeye 2000: Notice different propeller and dunce cap on dome.

That is a really good looking plane, except for the bulbous cockpit

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
^^ You mean the glans ^^

Supposedly a T90 TOW strike.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=871_1456476988

Talk amongst yourselves.

Dark Helmut fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Feb 27, 2016

spiky butthole
May 5, 2014
So I've been reading this monster of a thread on my commute. Thanks for all the effort posts guys, I've been sperging lots. Keep up the work plses.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Concordat posted:

Why isn't it called the B-3.

Because that's being reserved for the B-1/B-52 replacement. Or they'll call that one the B-152. :rolleyes:

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

simplefish posted:

That is a really good looking plane, except for the everything

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
They should have gone with the B-35 IMO. Would fit right in with the F-35, Su-35, and MiG-35.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Anyone else disappointed that Northrop wasn't making a 21st century stealth XB-70?

I was really hoping for some Mach 2+ bomber that was stealthy and cutting edge and "out there", not a 650 mph rerun from the 90's.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
So my limited understanding is that the B-2 had a mainly nuclear mission? Did they ever get used for anything else considering their special snowflake price-tags?

Although I guess the B-52 and B-1 also started with nuclear missions and have more or less ended up as conventional bomb trucks.

I guess I'm mostly curious at what capacity the new bomber brings to the table.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Generation Internet posted:

So my limited understanding is that the B-2 had a mainly nuclear mission? Did they ever get used for anything else considering their special snowflake price-tags?

Although I guess the B-52 and B-1 also started with nuclear missions and have more or less ended up as conventional bomb trucks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_bombing_of_the_Chinese_embassy_in_Belgrade

So yes, they've been dropping JDAMs for a while...

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Blistex posted:

I was really hoping for some Mach 2+ bomber that was stealthy and cutting edge and "out there", not a 650 mph rerun from the 90's.

I know, all of these remakes, in movies and in aircraft, are boring.

Generation Internet posted:

I think the ambition is 1) affordability, and 2) relatively lots of 'em. Also not being special snowflakes means the USAF would actually risk them in combat.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Also the greatest advancements in air power lately have been in sensors and weapons and links as opposed to showing off high speeds and sick flips.

F-22 does some pretty sick flips, but still.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Feb 27, 2016

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Nebakenezzer posted:

I think the ambition is 1) affordability, and 2) relatively lots of 'em. Also not being special snowflakes means the USAF would actually risk them in combat.

The B-2 would've been relatively affordable per airframe but we had to buy something like 200 of them. There was absolutely ridiculous after the Soviet Union collapsed, which happened after all the major work in the B-2 program took place. So this thing is supposed to leverage what we've learned from three-to-four operational generations of low observability and make something that'll have a reasonable pricetag at useful numbers.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

mlmp08 posted:

Also the greatest advancements in air power lately has been in sensors and weapons and links as opposed to showing off high speeds and sick flips.

F-22 does some pretty sick flips, but still.

Nebakenezzer posted:

I'd add 3) higher availability for each airframe. B-2 fleet readiness is below the USAF targets. A big push for this is that each individual plane has a significantly higher up time and doesnt need special air conditioned hangers.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
The B-21 is going to benefit hugely from the past few decades of lessons learned from the Spirit fleet.

There's shades of F/A-18C and F/A-18E development parallels already.

Another thing I find interesting is obviously Northrop and the USAF found the B-2 to get so much right that there isn't a terrible demand for design revolution. Although we'll see how true that statement is in the following years if/when performance capabilities are publicly released.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
By reasonable pricetag, we mean 500+ million each, before any metal is bent. That is the number they are throwing around now. If it doesn't get to 2B from that starting point, I'll be stunned.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

The only way you really get to $2B for the B-2 is by including the full R&D program, all facility construction, the purchase of the old Ford plant they were built in, and the maintenance & support costs (through the early 2000s) that were rolled into the program cost. Actual flyaway cost was less than half of that, and would've leveled out somewhere just under half a billion apiece had they not cancelled most of the order.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I think the fact that all of our next generation bombers will still have human pilots is just dumb.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Kesper North posted:

I think the fact that all of our next generation bombers will still have human pilots is just dumb.

Why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Because drones are cheaper, have vastly longer loiter times, and don't put pilots at risk. You don't have to spend nearly as much on stealth. It might be a better strategy these days to build large numbers of cheap drones and expect a certain rate of attrition that would be unacceptable in manned aircraft.