Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

So, having 3 quads all flying through the same tiny gate in opposite directions can result in this:

Been flying in this space
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0XW6RPfQnA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00HGGYndB98

I'm nowhere near that speed and it's been a rather brutal space to learn in, but it certainly forces you to learn throttle control.
It got a rather steep gradient, so you can't just find a good throttle position and hold it.

ImplicitAssembler fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Feb 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
Flying in acro mode? Also their brave, or silly for having their cars parked so close to where they are racing. Looks like fun though.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Golluk posted:

Flying in acro mode? Also their brave, or silly for having their cars parked so close to where they are racing. Looks like fun though.

Is there any other mode?:)

Cars are now parked further away.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Is there any other mode?:)

Cars are now parked further away.

Horizo-*get pummeled with wave after wave of broken props, blotting out the sun*

Yeah..ordered some Dal props as I think I spent more time replacing props than flying....
Did you order any of those RMRC 4 blade props? I hope they're strong but they look like garbage Gemfans. Super excited to cut some down to 3" and 4"

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Feb 16, 2016

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Yeah..ordered some Dal props as I think I spent more time replacing props than flying....

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.

So, having 3 quads all flying through the same tiny gate in opposite directions can result in this:

Been flying in this space
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0XW6RPfQnA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00HGGYndB98

I'm nowhere near that speed and it's been a rather brutal space to learn in, but it certainly forces you to learn throttle control.
It got a rather steep gradient, so you can't just find a good throttle position and hold it.

I wish I could fly in a parking garage :( I flew out at a friends house near forest service land. I did a max range test, the wind picked up and flipped me and I crashed into a bush, hard enough to break 1 prop, the fpv transmitter antenna and the fpv power filter, and a bunch of old zip ties I had used to hold stuff together. LESSONS:
1) Don't fly out of visual range. My FPV signal quit, and by the time I had my immersion goggles off and eyes adjusted my quad was upside down at the edge of where I could barely make it out against the sky.
2) More open, less windy. Finding an ideal spot here in my forest town will be difficult but worth the time. The area I was flying in is called "The Cinders" as there are nearby cinder cones that deposited a layer of soil that is made up of small rock fragments, leading to common shrub growth which is BAD. We couldn't see the drone when it crashed, and finding it was a matter of using my immersion goggles to find the huge bush where the signal was the strongest. The cinders get into everywhere, and definitely get into brushless motors...I may have lost a motor. Not good.
3) I need to secure my everything better. Everything was held on but not securely enough, and my old zip ties were snapping at a slight impact which is no good. I think I will use more 2-sided foam tape and more electrical tape to secure the ESC's and other things.
4) Holy gently caress this thing is insanely fast/powerful, I am climbing to massive altitude and zipping around so fast it's hard to keep track of everything. Need more practice.

RIP 250mw Fatshark transmitter (Maybe. The signal was still working. I will try to solder the coax connector back on but it will never be as strong). Hello 680mw transmitter from amazon with $2 "accidental drop protection".

Spudalicious fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Feb 16, 2016

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Spudalicious posted:

I wish I could fly in a parking garage :( I flew out at a friends house near forest service land. I did a max range test, the wind picked up and flipped me and I crashed into a bush, hard enough to break 1 prop, the fpv transmitter antenna and the fpv power filter, and a bunch of old zip ties I had used to hold stuff together. LESSONS:
1) Don't fly out of visual range. My FPV signal quit, and by the time I had my immersion goggles off and eyes adjusted my quad was upside down at the edge of where I could barely make it out against the sky.
2) More open, less windy. Finding an ideal spot here in my forest town will be difficult but worth the time. The area I was flying in is called "The Cinders" as there are nearby cinder cones that deposited a layer of soil that is made up of small rock fragments, leading to common shrub growth which is BAD. We couldn't see the drone when it crashed, and finding it was a matter of using my immersion goggles to find the huge bush where the signal was the strongest. The cinders get into everywhere, and definitely get into brushless motors...I may have lost a motor. Not good.
3) I need to secure my everything better. Everything was held on but not securely enough, and my old zip ties were snapping at a slight impact which is no good. I think I will use more 2-sided foam tape and more electrical tape to secure the ESC's and other things.
4) Holy gently caress this thing is insanely fast/powerful, I am climbing to massive altitude and zipping around so fast it's hard to keep track of everything. Need more practice.

RIP 250mw Fatshark transmitter (Maybe. The signal was still working. I will try to solder the coax connector back on but it will never be as strong). Hello 680mw transmitter from amazon with $2 "accidental drop protection".

fwiw the center pad for your antenna there still looks silver, doesn't look like you ripped the trace. Even if you did, it appears to be a through hole so you could always attack it from the other side. You can get a new connector and re-solder that, or cut a cloverleaf antenna and solder it directly to the Tx. saves you ~5-7g.

I've had a small quad fall out of the air 20 feet from me. 20 feet. Managed to land in a pile of leaves and cover itself entirely. I spent a half hour kicking at that leaf pile in a grid pattern before I found the quad. The thing just disappeared.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Feb 16, 2016

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I only fly in a parking garage because it's been very dark and very wet! It's a brutal and punishing place to fly and I probably broke 12-14 props that session.
First time there, I lasted maybe 30 seconds before I violently smacked it into the ceiling and broke the voltage regulator. Second time, I had crash proofed it a bit more and also learned that if there was any doubt *at all*, cut the throttle.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Recently ordered my first quad, an eachine racer 250 (so that I don't feel that bad when I wreck it!). I've been flying in rate mode on the advice of other folks, are there any recommendations on videos I should watch or stuff I should read while learning? I've got the 7" FPV monitor that it came with, but I'm thinking about getting some goggles instead. From what I've seen and read it's much easier to fly FPV than LoS. I keep instinctively looking up at the quad instead of relying on the screen for information.

Frozen Pizza Party fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Feb 19, 2016

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I'm using the Quanum goggles and are quite happy with them. Would I like a set of fatsharks? Sure, but I really don't want to spend $800CAD on them.

Yesterday I got one of these
http://www.banggood.com/5_8G-600mW-32CH-2s6s-DC-Image-Transmission-RX5832-Receiver-For-Multicopter-FPV-p-985687.html
and have now embedded them into the side, making the setup quite compact.

I've also ordered a mini-dvr, that should be small enough to embed into the foam and once that's done, I plan to get all the wiring embedded too.
http://www.banggood.com/Mini-DVR-Video-Audio-Recorder-For-FPV-Multicopters-p-1021117.html

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I got to briefly try someone's Quanum headset and I liked it. Way better and more comfortable and bigger FOV than my fat sharks. At least for a little while.

But my fat sharks do Pan/Tilt/Roll for fixed wing so :frogc00l:

Some day I'll rip out the PTR and poo poo and roll with something better.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Mister Sinewave posted:

I got to briefly try someone's Quanum headset and I liked it. Way better and more comfortable and bigger FOV than my fat sharks. At least for a little while.

But my fat sharks do Pan/Tilt/Roll for fixed wing so :frogc00l:

Some day I'll rip out the PTR and poo poo and roll with something better.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__61695__Quanum_3_Axis_No_Drift_Head_Tracker.html

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Thanks for reminding me of those. I had forgotten they were 3 axis.

Takkaryx
Oct 17, 2007

Bunnies (very useful) Scientific Facts: Bunnies never close doors
I'm having an issue with my cc3d controller, and I'm getting nowhere troubleshooting it. It was flying fine one day, and the next it won't arm. I power it up, it goes through the gyro calibration fine. I turn on the Tx, the Rx lights up, but it won't arm. Plugging into openpilot shows that the arm command is set right, and it's picking up all the Tx commands (Yaw, pitch, accessories, etc) but it just won't arm. The ESCs all work fine, and I'm able to calibrate them normally through openpilot. I've flashed and updated the firmware on the board, but still nothing. Any suggestions?

EDIT: If I set the arm command to "always armed" the board lights report it's armed, but it doesn't respond to the Tx throttling up.

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

Takkaryx posted:

I'm having an issue with my cc3d controller, and I'm getting nowhere troubleshooting it. It was flying fine one day, and the next it won't arm. I power it up, it goes through the gyro calibration fine. I turn on the Tx, the Rx lights up, but it won't arm. Plugging into openpilot shows that the arm command is set right, and it's picking up all the Tx commands (Yaw, pitch, accessories, etc) but it just won't arm. The ESCs all work fine, and I'm able to calibrate them normally through openpilot. I've flashed and updated the firmware on the board, but still nothing. Any suggestions?

EDIT: If I set the arm command to "always armed" the board lights report it's armed, but it doesn't respond to the Tx throttling up.

I had to rework some connectors on my APM build when it developed similar symptoms after a mishap. It was the Dupont connectors plugged into the receiver - some pins had back outed out a bit and I had intermittent connections.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
New personal flight record. VAS Airblades were definitely worth it. 5Km. No picture issues at all. I only turned around because 5Km seemed like a good stopping point. Still had about 70% RSSI.

The crazy thing, is my DVR only gets signal from the Airblade. So that's 5Km of omni directional video on 200mW, 5.8ghz. It did have 4-5 seconds of static that was beyond flyable, at 3.5, and 4.5 km. The Rx switched over to the 5 turn helical at that 3.5km, so I didn't notice them myself.

Golluk fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Feb 22, 2016

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
^^^ Same. 100 feet, but basically the same.

I got some rotorx 3040 triblade props, they are pretty sweet. Not as durable as DALs but stronger than I expected them to be. Took my newest build out with the Hilux today. Super slimlined Morphite 155, 3100kv motors, 4s:

AUW with a 1050mah 4s is 257g, but it's 201g with a 450mah 4s. No FPV gear I was just screwing around(Notice the DIY 450mah 4s pack)

Bench pic: I broke the USB port off a Flip32 board but managed to salvage it by soldering a JST connector to the serial pins. Upside, it allowed me to slim it down a bit more. PDB is one of those Matek 5v/12v cam/vtx ones.

And in progress: 1306 4000kv, 12a 4-in-1, 3040triblades, 450mah 3s batteries.

AUW should be ~206-210g with ~26g of that being the FPV gear. The cam is the heaviest component I can swap that with a 600tlv micro.

Got the FPV stuff on:

216g AUW with the 450mah 4s. ~270g with the 1050mah 4s

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Feb 22, 2016

Scottw330
Jan 24, 2005

Please, Hammer,
Don't Hurt Em :(

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

And in progress: 1306 4000kv, 12a 4-in-1, 3040triblades, 450mah 3s batteries.

AUW should be ~206-210g with ~26g of that being the FPV gear. The cam is the heaviest component I can swap that with a 600tlv micro.

Woah, that's awesome! Is that just a standard panel-mount SMA adapter? I didn't realize you could do that with the atom.

Flavor Truck
Nov 5, 2007

My Love for You is like a Truck
I've been researching FPV multirotors for about two weeks and I'm totally overwhelmed with how many options there are. What I want to do is build my own fast, lightweight FPV quadcopter so I can zoom around and race and do all sorts of fun poo poo in the first person. I haven't bought anything yet, but I want to. I'm sufficiently laden with disposable income, so I can drop cash on a good set of.. well.. everything. There are so many options. If you were just starting out again and had enough money to play around with, what would you have started with?

I'll take suggestions on everything from frames to goggles and controllers. I have none of the equipment and all of the cash/time to invest.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Flavor Truck posted:

I've been researching FPV multirotors for about two weeks and I'm totally overwhelmed with how many options there are. What I want to do is build my own fast, lightweight FPV quadcopter so I can zoom around and race and do all sorts of fun poo poo in the first person. I haven't bought anything yet, but I want to. I'm sufficiently laden with disposable income, so I can drop cash on a good set of.. well.. everything. There are so many options. If you were just starting out again and had enough money to play around with, what would you have started with?

I'll take suggestions on everything from frames to goggles and controllers. I have none of the equipment and all of the cash/time to invest.

I still think the versacopter v2 kit is good for a beginner
http://store.flitetest.com/ft-versacopter-280-v2-quad-kit/

the powerpack they suggest is fine as well.

You could also consider getting a 3dfly kit and printing one of their frames on thingiverse if you want to start with a micro. There is a remix that can take a tilted camera easily
http://shop.hovership.com/3dfly-micro-quad-kit/

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

Golluk posted:

New personal flight record. VAS Airblades were definitely worth it. 5Km. No picture issues at all. I only turned around because 5Km seemed like a good stopping point. Still had about 70% RSSI.

The crazy thing, is my DVR only gets signal from the Airblade. So that's 5Km of omni directional video on 200mW, 5.8ghz. It did have 4-5 seconds of static that was beyond flyable, at 3.5, and 4.5 km. The Rx switched over to the 5 turn helical at that 3.5km, so I didn't notice them myself.

I went through your post history but didn't see your build for this. Did you post it?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Scottw330 posted:

Woah, that's awesome! Is that just a standard panel-mount SMA adapter? I didn't realize you could do that with the atom.
That's the Hawkeye 200mw VTX, it has a whip connector like that instead of directly on the unit. Seems like a pretty sweet transmitter but I've only tested it on the bench so far.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Once they replaced the boom clamps it was fine. The original delrin clamps were a poorly conceived idea.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I know, though there are others who don't want to touch it still.

the new vortex pro seems like a good setup as well if you want an ARF

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Feb 23, 2016

Flavor Truck
Nov 5, 2007

My Love for You is like a Truck

A Yolo Wizard posted:

the powerpack they suggest is fine as well.

So if I buy this, what else do I need?

What I mean is, what brands of rotos/motors/ESC/transmitters/receivers do you recommend? I'm ready to goooooooo!

Flavor Truck fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Feb 23, 2016

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Am I doing it right?

I learned how to turn this weekend! There was a pretty strong crosswind though, so right turns ended up being way faster than left turns. Ended up embedding the prop/leg into the dirt pretty good.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Flavor Truck posted:

So if I buy this, what else do I need?

What I mean is, what brands of rotos/motors/ESC/transmitters/receivers do you recommend? I'm ready to goooooooo!

If you bought the power pack e listed on the page, you would need your fpv gear, your transmitter and receiver, and a flight controller.

I'm going to try and give these recommendations based on my weird mix of whats a good long term buy, and whats economical. Anyone else, feel free to point out that my opinions are dumb and wrong.

For control, its hard to beat the taranis x9d - very configurable, good cheap receivers, and an expansion bay for other radio protocols (dsmx, various lrs systems, etc). The only other one I'd recommend is the graupner mz-12 combo they have, since the receiver doubles as a flight controller for multirotors.

http://store.flitetest.com/taranis-x9d-plus/
http://store.flitetest.com/graupner-mz-12-and-gr-18-combo-transmitter-receiver-flight-controller/

The receiver the x9d comes with is nice but kinda bulky, I'd just sell it and get a D4R-II or X4R-SB. The x4r is technically better, but the d4r is slightly easier to set up for beginners

if you go for the taranis, you'll need a flight controller as well. the naze32 rev6 is fine, but there are other, better options (hobbyking has the acro version for cheaper, I also like the seriously dodo from readymaderc. They all run versions of the same flight controller software, cleanflight (and its offshoots).

They have some fpv gear on their store; the lumenier camera is overpriced but the vtx is fine. if you're flying by yourself, feel free to grab the 600mw (legal note: for any of these, you technically need the HAM technician license; its trivial to obtain and lasts 10 years but plenty still don't bother)

For receiving video, you can start with the quanum v2 and a 40ch 5.8 receiver

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__78125__Quanum_DIY_FPV_Goggle_V2_w_5_inch_LCD_Monitor_Kit_.html?strSearch=quanum%20goggle
http://store.flitetest.com/lumenier-rx5gr-5-8g-av-receiver-with-raceband/ (note: there are other 5.8 receivers out there that others might reccomend, some with diversity even, but I don't like messing with other antenna connectors than sma)

any 3s battery will work with this. You'll need a set of RHCP antennas for this as well (the regular ones they come with are lame and unsuited for fpv multicopters). You can spend as little as $25 for a set of aomway on ebay, or look at some nicer options from ibcrazy, immersionrc or some other brands.

you could also check out some fatshark goggles or the headplay HD if you want. they have an integrated 40ch 5.8 receiver and come with a battery already.

you'll also need a battery for your craft, obviously. I'd start with 3s, 1300-1500mah. Turnigy nano-tech 45-90c batteries are a good low cost starting point.

watch their build videos, they're very nice, and include both of the configurations I mentioned from transmitters / flight controllers.

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Feb 23, 2016

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Welp I am dead now. killed by props

5x4x4 cut down to 3x4x4

patentmagus posted:

Is there a reason you prefer the Naze32? I've been using Hobbyking's micro version of the APM and have been pleased with it, but am still pretty open minded about such things.

Oh yeah - I second the recommendation for the taranis. It's widely used and there are super cheap receivers available for it.
APM is more geared towards GPS+Sensors+Camera platforms aren't they? Cleanflight/Betaflight is the racers board. The guys who write the code are FPV racers and innovate based around that.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Feb 23, 2016

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

A Yolo Wizard posted:

if you go for the taranis, you'll need a flight controller as well. the naze32 rev6 is fine, but there are other, better options (hobbyking has the acro version for cheaper, I also like the seriously dodo from readymaderc. They all run versions of the same flight controller software, cleanflight (and its offshoots).

Is there a reason you prefer the Naze32? I've been using Hobbyking's micro version of the APM and have been pleased with it, but am still pretty open minded about such things.

Oh yeah - I second the recommendation for the taranis. It's widely used and there are super cheap receivers available for it.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
what he said

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

patentmagus posted:

The micro APM (or full APM) is a much different beast than a naze/SP3/dodo/cc3d or whatever. The APM will handle autonomy and GPS loitering (that's really its main draw) whereas the naze and its ilk are focused on racing and acro, and support different PID controllers and oneshot on the esc's.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
I was *politely asked* to leave Golden Gate Park today. I was flying my 250 racer and doing some acrobatics in and around the trees in one of the fields when someone from Rec and Park stopped me and said it was against the rules. I happen to also work for Rec and Park and he saw my badge so he didn't immediately call the Park Patrol.
The thing is, though, he was unable to tell me the PC that says it's illegal to fly there, even after talking to someone at Park Patrol. I ended up leaving because I didn't want to get into it with someone who is essentially my distant coworker, but they're seriously telling people to scram with no legal grounds.
There's a video on Youtube of some of the local racers getting cited for flying there, and the PC indicated on the ticket was for manned aircraft, so obviously that was thrown out when it went to court. Pretty annoying that within Rec and Park it's considered "the rules" that drones are illegal, but can't show where when challenged.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
There's no city, county or state laws against flying r/c in city parks in San Francisco. National Park Service areas like the parks near the Golden Gate Bridge are off limits due to a nation wide ban on r/c on NPS land.

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Feb 24, 2016

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

The go-to beginner quad is either a Hubsan x4, or Blade Nano depending on how much you want to spend.

I went with the X4. I am running the Lversion for $39. And really glad I did. Learning to fly these guys can be destructive. But thisnlittle guy is durrable.

I hope to start an fpv build soonish. That or I might just buy an RTF. With a new baby coming in, I am not sure when I would get the time to learn to build one.

Kilazar fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Feb 25, 2016

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

CrazyLittle posted:

There's no city, county or state laws against flying r/c in city parks in San Francisco. National Park Service areas like the parks near the Golden Gate Bridge are off limits due to a nation wide ban on r/c on NPS land.

Yeah, I know this, and that's what I was trying to explain to the Rec and Park guy. Unfortunately there's no FAQ or public word from Rec and Park on the matter, so it seems like right now even when directly asked about it the Park Patrol says "it's not allowed", even when they can't back it up with a PC.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008

patentmagus posted:

I went through your post history but didn't see your build for this. Did you post it?

Nope. It was very much built on the go. I'd also position stuff differently if I built it again. I can always take some close up shots if you're interested.

Might be worthwhile trying to document when I build my Mini Talon though. Just waiting on electronics from China that decided to pass through the Netherlands first.

Golluk fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Feb 25, 2016

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

Golluk posted:

Nope. It was very much built on the go. I'd also position stuff differently if I built it again. I can always take some close up shots if you're interested.

Might be worthwhile trying to document when I build my Mini Talon though. Just waiting on electronics from China that decided to pass through the Netherlands first.

Ugggh - just did that long wait for some shrink tubing that I thought was shipping from a US warehouse. Finally got it today. It's for a DAL 180 build.

Regarding your build, I'm mostly interested in how you got the distance. I've been messing with an orange OpenLRS system at 433MHz but haven't been bringing back video or anything.

patentmagus fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Feb 26, 2016

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Finished my first Scratchbuild.

Flitetest Mini Sparrow. Maiden after work tonight if the weather holds.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Maybe if I had put googly eyes on mine and not flown in windy winter weather, the FT Storch I built would have survived.

Naked Bear fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Feb 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
printed a new gopro mount for the mini