Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Nlcrh4reWc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Most Stressful pac-man moment for me was actually getting to the kill screen.

Once I did I gave up pac-man cold turkey.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

my first computer was an Amstrad CPC with a tape deck

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

The Devil Tesla posted:

Not all of those vans are white this is bullshit.

If this game wasn't poo poo it probably would have become some sort of cult classic. Or if it had a multiplayer based around who can drive most aggressively on the motorway and create the most road rage incidents in the shortest time without getting banned from driving and having to get your mate Dave to drive you to jobs in future.

Britain.ps2

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
The sheer enthusiasm in 80s action game covers is great. The guy always look so pumped to be doing the action hero or random minon thug #332 thing.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I found some French forum that has a ton of weird ones

This game looks pretty fun

Wolverine robot fighting lobsterguy while eagleman and Sphinx wait for their turns

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Nice try Sega, your seal of quality don't mean poo poo.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

That's totally a Scizor.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Lurdiak posted:

Nice try Sega, your seal of quality don't mean poo poo.

On the other hand, Nintendo's...

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Welp now I know what my rereg name/av is gonna be.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

This is like one of those highlights for kids games where you try to spot all the things wrong with the image.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

No comment:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bTqBiZlnAk

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

bloodychill posted:

This is like one of those highlights for kids games where you try to spot all the things wrong with the image.

That's David Letterman, it has to be

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009
Holy poo poo, crime-fighting David Duchovny!

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

:eyepop:

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Mezzanine posted:

Holy poo poo, crime-fighting David Duchovny!

gently caress, I can't un-see it. Also he looks kinda remorseful he had to punch the other guy.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Wamdoodle posted:

gently caress, I can't un-see it. Also he looks kinda remorseful he had to punch the other guy.

He moonlights as a hand model, he might damage his 10 girls.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

Broseph Brostar posted:

I found some French forum that has a ton of weird ones

It looks like the poster of the greatest movie to ever grace the back shelf of a grimy mom and pop vhs store. :allears:

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...

bloodychill posted:

I wonder if it's better than the Atari 2600's Checkers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xyim6xKw-hA&t=129s

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Master System is so cool

pretty good cover, what do we do for a master system version, we could just reuse the art right?

no its a worse version of the same game so let's redraw the same image but worse

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

gently caress yeah

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

loving Christ

E: oh god

Waldorf Sixpence fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Feb 27, 2016

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

That's the thing about a lot of those Phoenix Games "games", they're just incredibly lovely animated movies from third world countries that they just slap a jigsaw puzzle onto so they can sell them as PS2 games instead of dollar store DVDs.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Sleeveless posted:

That's the thing about a lot of those Phoenix Games "games", they're just incredibly lovely animated movies from third world countries that they just slap a jigsaw puzzle onto so they can sell them as PS2 games instead of dollar store DVDs.

Oh I know, I have some of them! Nice Cats is my favourite. But that racist caricature :stare:

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

loving Christ

E: oh god

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Juice Ban

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

elf help book posted:

Master System is so cool

pretty good cover, what do we do for a master system version, we could just reuse the art right?

Accurate that the GnG guy is getting zapped by lightning.

The game wasn't that great. :colbert:

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Did we come this far without RE: Director's Cut or did I just miss it?

And for good measure:

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Anatharon posted:

Accurate that the GnG guy is getting zapped by lightning.

The game wasn't that great. :colbert:

The golden armor set in Dark Souls 3 looks just like that and you fight cyclopses.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I nominate this box art as new Games mod.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I can't work out if they're double barrelled shotguns or he's holding two pistols in each hand.

I guess they could be double barrelled pistols....

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Haruharuharuko posted:

Going back to the get rid of the anime train of the early 90's how about ranma 1/2
Here's the Japanese cover

And here's the US one

At least that did a relatively major change to the in-game graphics, too, to make them less anime-like.

Along those lines, when a Ranma 1/2 game got an ACTUAL US release and they did a cover that felt like someone was intentionally trying to emulate something of an anime style without trying to do something in an anime style. Same thing with the Time Gal on Sega CD where it looks more like an 80s indie comic artist version of 'not anime'-anime.

Time Gal's cover is still more or less putting a cartoony version of the character there. The Ranma 1/2 cover makes it look like Charlie Brown: The Fighting game. In both cases, actual in-game gameplay and the back of the boxes would reveal pretty quickly what the games were going to look like and they don't really go to typical extremes to look THAT different.

Heck, with Ranma 1/2, given it was before the anime boom, I'm sort of curious how well it appealed to people who didn't know of it in the first place.

God, now that I'm thinking about it, it's been about 20 years since I played Time Gal, but I still remember that theme song.

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Feb 27, 2016

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

JediTalentAgent posted:

Time Gal's cover is still more or less putting a cartoony version of the character there. The Ranma 1/2 cover makes it look like Charlie Brown: The Fighting game. In both cases, actual in-game gameplay and the back of the boxes would reveal pretty quickly what the games were going to look like and they don't really go to typical extremes to look THAT different.

Should have at least posted the picture:

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Thanks for posting it for me, though.

But I keep thinking that SHOULDN'T be the US Sega CD cover. For a game of that time, instead it should be some really nice (edit: or not-nice) piece of non-cartoony painted or airbrushed art like it's the cover of a SF novel or something. Doing a new cartoony style cover to replace another cartoony type cover just feels like there was no point to it.

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Feb 27, 2016

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
It looks vaguely like Heavy Metal so they might have been going for that aesthetic.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Yeah, I was sort of seeing a bit of 'Taarna' in there, but I don't know what it is that strikes me as so odd, but comparing it to this Mega LD cover I found for the same game, I think I maybe get it:

They're both remarkably similar covers, and there's not really any major difference in content, either. Maybe it's just the angry eyebrows and that in the US version they've made her head almost too large for her body. But it seems just a strange redo of a cover that sort of kept so much.*

(*I think the Japanese Mega CD cover looks more like a still shot from the game, not sure when the Mega LD release came out compared to the US Sega CD release)

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Feb 27, 2016

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Haruharuharuko posted:

Going back to the get rid of the anime train of the early 90's how about ranma 1/2
Here's the Japanese cover

And here's the US one

This kind of poo poo was the reason everyone in europe hated the american market.

We had Lum the mad here, we may not have known who the authors were but Jesus, it was going to be a loving hilarious party game if that ever came here.

Games for translation here were cherry picked from american releases after they underwent changes in graphics, difficulty (we didn't have game rentals but we had the artificial spikes introduced for the Us market to avoid games being beaten in a single rental cycle), music (lol at the terrible us gran turismo soundtrack) and sometimes entire genres were skipped too. We had either to dish out 200.000 lire (a good 1/3rd more of an officially imported Nintendo game) for Final Fantasy VI or even more to get a game in moonspeak. The stores lists were clogged with loving NFL, Wrestling and games with nickleodeon characters. The real problem? Nobody loving watched NFL, nickleodeon wasn't a thing here and the guys watching that watered down version of Wrestling did not buy videogames.

If I ever built a time machine I'd use it to track down 90s entire marketing departments of videogame companies and murder them. And I'll start from your schoolmate's uncle, not because the uncle used to work at Nintendo but because the kid was an unsufferable prick.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Posted mostly because of how sly the cover is about hiding the fact that this is a game where you cast magic using Skittles.

I'm not making a joke or being sarcastic, it's literally a giant product placement game for Skittles® fruit-flavoured candy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

• Locked thread