Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Lenovo's switch to no touchpad buttons really turned me off, especially since the (non)buttons don't even work that well.

That was a momentary lapse of reason, fortunately. I got a W540 for my job about a year and a half ago which has the lovely style, but the W550 has the older style. Not sure about the timeline, but they at least saw the error of their ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

I don't read the verge very often but their long form story a few years ago about the death of palm/webOS was really good

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
The cheapest thinkpad available.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

What's everyone using for log gathering/concatenation in an enterprise environment? I'm playing catch-up in ours and trying to get something setup that can do the task well and on the cheap. Graylog seems viable.

This would mostly be for Windows Event Logging. Syslogs already have another mechanism. I could always setup log forwarding and have a central Windows Server repository for those logs, but I'm looking for something a little more robust and easily searchable.

Graylog is decent, we were using that but we've moved to splunk this year in prep for starting to look at some BI analysis.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

role-instanceid.pop. InstanceID is either from AWS or from the last 3 octets of eth0's MAC address. POP is derived from the IATA airport code with a sequence number, or AWS region.

Before it was just role#.pop, where number was assigned sequentially when bringing up services. Changing to use instance id was apparently very traumatic, to the point where people were actually yelling about how bad it was that they can't remember smtp-af09c3 when they could have a hallway conversation about mail7.lhr01 (on several occasions).

It was however very necessary, since before this our main service machines were named foo1,foo2,foo3,foo4 et c. There are 2 different subroles inside this service, and blades could either be a foo-blah or foo-ugh, which have implications in IP address space, kernel options et c. We need one foo-blah per chassis, so it was tribal knowledge that foo1,foo9,foo17 did foo-blah and others were foo-ugh. Oh yeah also the AMS pop had 4-blade chassis so there foo5 and foo13 were foo-blah servers most of the time. Well until we had enough foo-blah in that rack so then it went to 1 foo-blah per 7 foo-ugh.

:smithicide:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

luminalflux posted:

Before it was just role#.pop, where number was assigned sequentially when bringing up services. Changing to use instance id was apparently very traumatic, to the point where people were actually yelling about how bad it was that they can't remember smtp-af09c3 when they could have a hallway conversation about mail7.lhr01 (on several occasions).

This drives me up the wall. Why do you care about mail7? Oh something in the set of servers in the load balancing group (ELB, Netscaler, Haproxy, whatever) isn't performing correctly? Shoot it and try again. If you own the hardware, maybe double check if it's a hardware problem while shooting it?

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

This is very traumatic thinking to a group of engineers who have been hand-feeding and hand-tuning everything for the last 6-7 years. "Well just shoot it in the head, provision a new server in it's place and we'll open a datacenter ops ticket to get it looked out" got me looked at funny and i was shouted at that since my team was so slow at provisioning new systems there could never possibly be any improvement over what they currently had.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Cleaning out the server room is fun. Why oh why do we still have an exchange 2000 cd

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I still have my $100 x220 with an SSD and IPS screen.
It's loving perfect and nothing can replace it. The screen is GORGEOUS and the SSD is killer.
I also really enjoy having a fingerprint swipe.

Plus you can get a WWAN and use it anywhere.

What sort of battery life do you get? I've been looking at a used one to replace my current old laptop. Do you have the touchscreen variant?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I think it came from this:
https://xkcd.com/243/
Nah it's way older than that. I remember calling it the clit back when a Compaq 486 laptop was hot poo poo.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

What's everyone using for log gathering/concatenation in an enterprise environment? I'm playing catch-up in ours and trying to get something setup that can do the task well and on the cheap. Graylog seems viable.

This would mostly be for Windows Event Logging. Syslogs already have another mechanism. I could always setup log forwarding and have a central Windows Server repository for those logs, but I'm looking for something a little more robust and easily searchable.

ELK stack. (Elasticsearch/Logstash/Kibana)

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Splunk is what our client uses, they seem to like it, unsure what we use internally.

Client had previously used arcsight and dropped it for splunk.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Splunk seems like the go-to. It's not cheap or easy to learn, though. Currently playing around with it in my environment to compliment PRTG on simple up/down or health status alerts.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Collateral Damage posted:

Nah it's way older than that. I remember calling it the clit back when a Compaq 486 laptop was hot poo poo.
Confirmed, we thought this was really funny or whatever when I was a high school senior

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

DigitalMocking posted:

Graylog is decent, we were using that but we've moved to splunk this year in prep for starting to look at some BI analysis.

Yeah, Splunk is really the gold standard for this. I've heard decent things about Logstash, but I really like Splunk APIs for extensibility with Python.

Internet Explorer posted:

Splunk seems like the go-to. It's not cheap or easy to learn, though. Currently playing around with it in my environment to compliment PRTG on simple up/down or health status alerts.

It is expensive, but I'm not sure I agree with it being difficult to learn. However, there is a pre-requisite that you be decent-ish with regex if you're the one crafting the the queries.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Feb 26, 2016

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
Yeah, I'd really like to get Splunk but unfortunately it isn't in the budget for a while. Hopefully whatever I go with ends up being an interim measure until then.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Yeah, I'd really like to get Splunk but unfortunately it isn't in the budget for a while. Hopefully whatever I go with ends up being an interim measure until then.

Then I'd recommend you look into ELK like PCjr sidecar said. There's a good community building up around it. And the cost of implementation can't be beat. Just know you're on your own for troubleshooting and support.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
I like ELK. As far as windows goes, I am only ingesting logs from a limited subset of servers, but it works extremely well for that.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
Can anyone link me to a good intro to ELK?

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

Zaepho posted:

The only "Name Servers after Stupid poo poo" that I actually enjoyed was an ISP i worked at too many years ago had all of their DNS Servers named after either Dictionaries or Encyclopedias. Everything else had pretty sane names as I recall.

Telstra's NTP servers are tic.ntp.telstra.net and toc.ntp.telstra.net. I think those are acceptable names.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Splunk also reported an ~$80m loss with ~$475m cash-on-hand, so who even knows how this wreck is gonna pan out in a year or two

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
We're reasonably happy with Sumologic, but writing queries to be MapReduce friendly is not always super obvious.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

What sort of battery life do you get? I've been looking at a used one to replace my current old laptop. Do you have the touchscreen variant?

nah no touchscreen. I have the 2.5ghz i5 version with 8gigs of ram.

I keep it plugged in when doing photo editing. I got a new battery when I got the laptop so I have 2 smaller batteries instead of one large 9-cell.
If I'm not taxing it, it will go all day. If I'm watching movies then I can usually get a couple of short movies out of it (like 3 hours) but I crank up the brightness and I'm usually streaming them.

If I'm not really doing anything, it will go all day. I left it on in my backpack for 12 hours once and didn't notice until the battery alert beeped.

Did I mention that the screen is loving gorgeous?

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

H110Hawk posted:

We're reasonably happy with Sumologic, but writing queries to be MapReduce friendly is not always super obvious.

Same. Can you start pressuring them for multiple accounts per login and getting the Japan and Germany regions online? Just saying ....

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

At my last job we eval'd SumoLogic but found it unreasonably expensive compared to just building our own ELK cluster. Our CTO dramatically preferred capex to opex, though, so that may have played into it. The tool itself seemed fine.

adorai posted:

I like ELK. As far as windows goes, I am only ingesting logs from a limited subset of servers, but it works extremely well for that.

Do you have any links to guides for shipping Windows event logs to ELK? Getting all of my new company's logs into ELK is on my 2016 todo list, and we have some production Windows hosts which I've not dealt with in the ELK world before. Everything I've been able to find via Google is from like 2012 and hacky as hell. Surely this at least kind of works on Windows by now? Is it as simple as installing Logstash on each server and using the Eventlog input?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Virigoth posted:

Same. Can you start pressuring them for multiple accounts per login and getting the Japan and Germany regions online? Just saying ....

No, ambivalent no, and hell no. I'm just glad our SSO (SAML) system works with them now.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

frogbert posted:

Telstra's NTP servers are tic.ntp.telstra.net and toc.ntp.telstra.net. I think those are acceptable names.

I wish they were an acceptable ISP. I also wish they would stop buying other decent ISPs.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Docjowles posted:

At my last job we eval'd SumoLogic but found it unreasonably expensive compared to just building our own ELK cluster. Our CTO dramatically preferred capex to opex, though, so that may have played into it. The tool itself seemed fine.

Do you have any links to guides for shipping Windows event logs to ELK? Getting all of my new company's logs into ELK is on my 2016 todo list, and we have some production Windows hosts which I've not dealt with in the ELK world before. Everything I've been able to find via Google is from like 2012 and hacky as hell. Surely this at least kind of works on Windows by now? Is it as simple as installing Logstash on each server and using the Eventlog input?

I've never used it in production, only in labs, but check out WinLogBeat. It was super simple to implement and the Beats system is pretty nice.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

This is disappointing to hear. I was playing around with it a bit and it looked like it would be great for our environment. Is their list price bullshit like everyone else or is that accurate pricing?

Vulture Culture posted:

Splunk also reported an ~$80m loss with ~$475m cash-on-hand, so who even knows how this wreck is gonna pan out in a year or two

Also disappointing. I thought they started out as an open source project that moved to a for profit company like Untangle or a few others have done.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Tab8715 posted:

What the hell would you recommend?

Right now I am leaning heavily toward switching to HP Elitebook 1020/1040s. Lighter, faster, cheaper, and better designed than their Lenovo counterparts we've been using. I don't think their dock is as nice, it requires you to slide the switch over to engage, but it costs a lot less. I'll probably wait for WiGig models to become a thing.

I used an SP3 for a long time and just recently switched to a 4. It's just too janky to give out for production use. I have constant issues with both machines undocking and re-docking and having it not come back from sleep. This has persisted across two machines and two docks and reinstalls. A lot of this might be Windows 10(for example, the MDP->DVI adapter that was plugged into the dock and worked fine for a long time is suddenly useless and required switching to HDMI instead. This happened on two separate machines for two different users.)
The SurfaceBook is heavy and goofy, I had high hopes but it's just a real letdown in person. And even at the top end model, the "discrete GPU" is just about worthless. If you want to get into teh "Surface" ecosystem, the SP4 is the better pick in every way.
Also, before you get excited about the Surface Pen, please go try an iPad Pro with a Pencil. It's not even comparable, Microsoft has a lot of work to do before the Surface is what it's advertised to be.

The problem for me primarily is that Windows is an absolutely terrible "touch" OS. They keep trying to shoehorn it, and it just doesn't work. Or at least it's always clear its shoehorned and never quite feels right.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Is their list price bullshit like everyone else or is that accurate pricing?

List price is always hyperinflated, be one with the process. Some people pay that rate.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Vulture Culture posted:

Splunk is moving super aggressively to expand their services revenue, so I have a feeling this will turn around this year. It's rapidly replacing ArcSight in a lot of government agencies.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Anyone here use Cylance for AV?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyWTVN4XKa0

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

BaseballPCHiker posted:

This is disappointing to hear. I was playing around with it a bit and it looked like it would be great for our environment. Is their list price bullshit like everyone else or is that accurate pricing?

Like any other backend system, you don't ever pay list price. If you can you budget for full price, but a salesman or reseller should cut you some good deals based on your needs.

Be sure to get a handle on HOW large your dataset that's being logged will be on a X Bytes per day basis. If you are under 50 GB/day you can get some good pricing on licensing and support for Splunk Enterprise. Especially if you plan on growing and let them know that.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Interviewed a guy today who said he could do web programming. I asked him what IDE he uses and he replied VMware. :negative:

dox
Mar 4, 2006

I have deployed the product for a client. After reviewing and working with most AVs out there (working for an MSP), Cylance is pretty much at the top of my list. But it's also at the top of the list in cost as well- something like $60/year per endpoint. It is a completely different type of AV that does not rely on signatures. The deployment/management is as easy as it can get-- it can even layer on top of other antivirus with no issues. It's just very hard to recommend because of the cost- my current favorite cost/performance is probably ESET.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Jesus, no wonder they don't list their pricing online anywhere. I called but they wouldn't even transfer me to sales without me giving contact information, all I wanted to know if it was a waste of time to even look at. Granted, I'm in education and they have a product specifically for that most likely at a reduced rate. I emailed our Dell rep to see what he could offer us on it.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps

AlternateAccount posted:

I used an SP3 for a long time and just recently switched to a 4. It's just too janky to give out for production use. I have constant issues with both machines undocking and re-docking and having it not come back from sleep. This has persisted across two machines and two docks and reinstalls. A lot of this might be Windows 10(for example, the MDP->DVI adapter that was plugged into the dock and worked fine for a long time is suddenly useless and required switching to HDMI instead. This happened on two separate machines for two different users.)
The SurfaceBook is heavy and goofy, I had high hopes but it's just a real letdown in person. And even at the top end model, the "discrete GPU" is just about worthless. If you want to get into teh "Surface" ecosystem, the SP4 is the better pick in every way.
Also, before you get excited about the Surface Pen, please go try an iPad Pro with a Pencil. It's not even comparable, Microsoft has a lot of work to do before the Surface is what it's advertised to be.

The problem for me primarily is that Windows is an absolutely terrible "touch" OS. They keep trying to shoehorn it, and it just doesn't work. Or at least it's always clear its shoehorned and never quite feels right.

This is my exact experience with Surface and I have ~100 of them in production.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Is putting your minimal accepted salary on your resume normal now? Last 5 resumes that came in for an open position all had it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Is putting your minimal accepted salary on your resume normal now? Last 5 resumes that came in for an open position all had it.

That seems a terrible idea if so because you have now told the company youre applying to the maximum they have to offer you.