Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Jack Gladney posted:

So what happened in like Buenos Aires or Mumbai? Is Scully the only one who can make the cure or did she figure out how to make it on its own and send a bunch of faxes?

Or will good aliens save us like they wanted to in the 40s?

I hope the next season begins with aliens saving the world and then we get a Grey alien who joins the FBI and is Mulder and Scully's new partner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Chairman Capone posted:

I hope the next season begins with aliens saving the world and then we get a Grey alien who joins the FBI and is Mulder and Scully's new partner.

Only if the Grey alien is played by Eric Pierpoint.

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

Chairman Capone posted:

The Ansazi three-parter is a huge highlight for me, too.

That arc is as good as the series gets, outside of some brilliant lone motw episodes. Holy poo poo @ those Skinner/CSM confrontations.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Nail Rat posted:

The original mytharc was acceptable enough, but after the syndicate was destroyed they tried to keep it going by heaping piles of more poo poo on top. Said poo poo was bad.

That's why when I do re-watches I watch until the Syndicate dies and then pretty much stop. There are some good motws after that but the Myth arc becomes complete garbage.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

Just having interesting ideas or stories (I'm not saying here was any) doesn't make good tv or story telling. That whole last episode was just exposition and plot advancement without any subtlety or pacing or cohesion.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Jack Gladney posted:

So what happened in like Buenos Aires or Mumbai? Is Scully the only one who can make the cure or did she figure out how to make it on its own and send a bunch of faxes?

Or will good aliens save us like they wanted to in the 40s?

Maybe people outside of the US also have secret agents, scientists and stuff, and can fend for themselves.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Paladinus posted:

Maybe people outside of the US also have secret agents, scientists and stuff, and can fend for themselves.

But she made it out of her own blood, right? She'll run out before helping even a small fraction of the people in DC if that's true.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Soft Shell Crab posted:

Just having interesting ideas or stories (I'm not saying here was any) doesn't make good tv or story telling. That whole last episode was just exposition and plot advancement without any subtlety or pacing or cohesion.

And a lot of good x-files episodes are really simple or even stupid ideas but executed well

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

68k posted:

That arc is as good as the series gets, outside of some brilliant lone motw episodes. Holy poo poo @ those Skinner/CSM confrontations.

I"m really looking forward to that (just finished "Space" on what is my first rewatch ever). I don't quite remember the details, but I remember cheering at my TV when Skinner confronted CSM.

Cybershell
Jun 12, 2007

I hold all of you in the highest contempt
It's kind of funny to me they actually bothered to change the opening sequence to include Skinner's badge when he's hardly even does anything in the episodes he is in. His appearances:

Episode 1: My Stuggle: "Welcome back, I'm Skinner, don't gently caress up."
Episode 5: Babylon: "I'm Skinner, and drat it Mulder you hosed up."
Episode 6: My Struggle II: "Find Agent Mulder. Because he's hosed up."

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords
He also was in Episode 2: I'll fill paperwork slowly so Mulder and Scully can do some X-filin'

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Cybershell posted:

It's kind of funny to me they actually bothered to change the opening sequence to include Skinner's badge when he's hardly even does anything in the episodes he is in. His appearances:

'Hold on, Agent Einstein, you're talking to a scientist!'

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Cybershell posted:

Toss in a ghost-stripper-murder and this is pretty much business as usual for Skinner. They just condensed everything into three 2 minute cameos for some reason.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Skinner is the scary dad you're really afraid of disappointing. Not because he'll beat you or be mad or anything, but because you'll know you let him down and he'll just be quietly disappointed in you.

Did he ever get back with his wife after she got possessed by that killer ghost stripper or whatever?

Krenzo
Nov 10, 2004

Jack Gladney posted:

Did he ever get back with his wife after she got possessed by that killer ghost stripper or whatever?

I think she left him for Q.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Skinner got his ID in the opening during season 9 (or maybe even 8) so it made since for them to keep it even though they reverted back to the old intro instead of the slightly newer one they used later.

Also he deserves it even if he was barely in this, I like that guy a lot

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Krenzo posted:

I think she left him for Q.

Haha, I had no idea Skinner's wife was Vash. Kind of funny given that the woman he sleeps with in the beginning of the episode is Amanda Tapping from Stargate.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Chairman Capone posted:

Haha, I had no idea Skinner's wife was Vash. Kind of funny given that the woman he sleeps with in the beginning of the episode is Amanda Tapping from Stargate.

Whta can i say the woman has a thing for bald guys

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The very existence of Vancouver almost guarantees budget sci-fi actor incest will take place at some point for every show.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

It's irrationally irritating me that her hair just vanishes instead of, like, receding into the head.

Does anyone know where to hit one's head to make that part of the brain stop :spergin:ing out?

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

I stopped watching, is Scully really an alien?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

We all are, apparently.

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

Scully has alien DNA due to her abduction/experiments which saves her from the man-made/alien-inspired virus which was placed in the populace via the smallpox vaccine, now the solution is to spread her alien DNA via IV bags to save humanity/Mulder but now I guess Alien Baby William has just shown up in a UFO to do something

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Also I guess every city that doesn't have Scully in it is now full of corpses.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

68k posted:

Scully has alien DNA due to her abduction/experiments which saves her from the man-made/alien-inspired virus which was placed in the populace via the smallpox vaccine, now the solution is to spread her alien DNA via IV bags to save humanity/Mulder but now I guess Alien Baby William has just shown up in a UFO to do something

Stem cells.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Jack Gladney posted:

Also I guess every city that doesn't have Scully in it is now full of corpses.

This is Alphas season 2 finale all over again.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Thoughts throughout the episode:

-Why does it seem like Einstein holds out and screams and insults and then just kind of goes along with this poo poo? It was the same in Babylon too.

-Okay so wait, I thought the smoking man was trying to, in his own selfish way, protect humanity or at least a small part of it?

-How the hell do they manage to talk in enigmatic riddles when everybody involved knows what's going on?

-Wait the primary tension in this episode was that Scully didn't do a thorough enough job on a DNA test?

-Why the gently caress do we need stem cells?

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Rocksicles posted:

Robbie Amell. Firestorm > Mulderlite

Didn't he also play an FBI agent on Some other show this season?

neolithic posted:

but for all the noise, The Lone Gunman cameo was totally wasted.

I disagree. That whole tripping balls segment was by itself as good as the Guy Mann episode. The rest of the episode though :geno:

Slate Action posted:

The real question is, is X-Files worth continuing if Chris Carter is going to continue writing half the episodes (which he probably is).

That would mean he's not writing half of the episodes.

Enderzero posted:

Gunmen Going Their Lone Way

I lolled to the point that I had to get up and walk away, well done.

FrakkinCylon posted:

Chris Carter hates us all.

:golfclap:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Mendrian posted:

Thoughts throughout the episode:

-Why does it seem like Einstein holds out and screams and insults and then just kind of goes along with this poo poo? It was the same in Babylon too.

-Okay so wait, I thought the smoking man was trying to, in his own selfish way, protect humanity or at least a small part of it?

-How the hell do they manage to talk in enigmatic riddles when everybody involved knows what's going on?

-Wait the primary tension in this episode was that Scully didn't do a thorough enough job on a DNA test?

-Why the gently caress do we need stem cells?
Because Chris Carter. Seriously.

I think stem cells are necessary because Mulder is already in very bad shape and Scully's magic vaccine wouldn't work on him. But, again, CC.

My Q-Face posted:

That would mean he's not writing half of the episodes.
Not good enough. It's like biting on a pile of dogshit -- even if your next meal is caviar and champaign, you're still disgusted by the previous experience.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Feb 28, 2016

Miranda
Dec 24, 2004

Not a cuttlefish.
So was it only the smallpox vaccine?? (Also this vaccine part pissed me off because a rapid pro-vaxer) but the didn't they stop small pox vaccines in the 70s or something? So what about everyone who didn't get a SP vax?

Krenzo
Nov 10, 2004
It was passed down to their children.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
It alter their DNA so the people who got new vaccines were hit immediately while radio waves and chemtails infected those who got it pass on to them

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Still loving my rewatch, even some of the episodes I didn't think sounded particularly good from the synopsis, and didn't remember are actually really good. Case in point, Lazarus.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I'm watching a S6 episode that's ostensibly set in Kansas but has giant foothills in the background. At least make it Colorado or something.

Emetic Hustler
May 5, 2009

Re-watched the mytharc episodes of the original series and it really fell apart towards the end. Was there a list of the good MOTW episodes per season on this thread or did I imagine it?

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Emetic Hustler posted:

Re-watched the mytharc episodes of the original series and it really fell apart towards the end. Was there a list of the good MOTW episodes per season on this thread or did I imagine it?

Yes, several. A new one is posted every time someone asks this question.

I'm not digging it up for you, though.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Emetic Hustler posted:

watch every one that looks interesting, unless it involves magic trees, because that one is really bad.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I recently watched 'Rush' from season 7 and it addressed something I think should've come up in the show more often: broken spacetime. I know like every other episode of Star Trek explored "temporal/spatial anomalies" but I always liked the X-Files MOTW episodes where the universe just screws up somehow. What are some other episodes in a similar vein? The only ones I can think of are Soft Light and Monday, and technically Dreamland.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Emetic Hustler posted:

I was going to do that but 3/4 through season 1 I am not regretting just watching all of them. Like I just said, I thought Lazarus sounded dumb and didn't remember it at all, and ended up really liking it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

sticklefifer posted:

I recently watched 'Rush' from season 7 and it addressed something I think should've come up in the show more often: broken spacetime. I know like every other episode of Star Trek explored "temporal/spatial anomalies" but I always liked the X-Files MOTW episodes where the universe just screws up somehow. What are some other episodes in a similar vein? The only ones I can think of are Soft Light and Monday, and technically Dreamland.

Triangle?

• Locked thread