Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Special snowflake user has beaten me in inter-office politics and now gets their way in regards to their PC locking after 15 minutes of inactivity. I must suffer through this until our next audit when inevitably they will flag this and demand I change it back. (Yes I have the special demand in writing stating my objections).

There is a GPO at the domain level that sets the lock screen at 15 minutes currently. Is their a way to exclude this one specific computer? If I set something at the OU level that should take effect first if I remember correctly, but will it then be overrided by the domain level GPO? Should I change the domain level GPO and do some sort of security or WMI filtering?

OU-level policies are applied last and will overwrite policies applied at higher levels.

Just put the PC in a security group, apply the policy to disable the setting to that group, then apply the GPO to same OU as the other computers, then set the "disabled" policy to the lowest number in the Link Order of the OU in GP.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc785665(v=ws.10).aspx

"At the level of each organizational unit in the Active Directory hierarchy, one, many, or no GPOs can be linked. If several GPOs are linked to an organizational unit, their processing is in the order that is specified by the administrator, on the Linked Group Policy Objects tab for the organizational unit in GPMC. The GPO with the lowest link order is processed last, and therefore has the highest precedence.

This order means that the local GPO is processed first, and GPOs that are linked to the organizational unit of which the computer or user is a direct member are processed last, which overwrites settings in the earlier GPOs if there are conflicts. (If there are no conflicts, then the earlier and later settings are merely aggregated.)"

[Edit: gently caress me, how did I think that was the last post in the thread? Oh well, leaving it because there is a link.]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

Not security filtering, Delegation tab under the GPO settings in the GP Management snapin, you go to Delegation, add the user/group you care about, select the user/group you just delegated to/added to the list, hit advanced, then deny read access to that GPO.

e: this might be outdated but this is how I learned to do this

Deny Read will do the job, but I personally prefer Deny Apply.

But yeah, the better way is to create a sub-OU and overwrite the setting there. Unless you're messing with precedence manually, that will apply last. This way you also don't have to change any production GPOs that are touching the bulk of your users.

e: And it will be plainly obvious to the next admin that looks at it, unlike some special delegation group that may get entirely overlooked.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Internet Explorer posted:

Network Detective is great. I don't think a non-domain admin account, or at the very least an account granted local admin on everything, can get all that Network Detective queries. Have you reached out to their support? They are usually pretty good.

I have not, I get it through my RMM so I don't know if I actually have access to support but will try. Thank you

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

e: And it will be plainly obvious to the next admin that looks at it, unlike some special delegation group that may get entirely overlooked.

Yeah this is the main thing. If you make a different OU and exclude it from the gpo it'll get a nice big blue exclamation mark so you know it's not inheriting policies.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

This stupid user who cant ever have their computer locked is now officially pissing me off. Knowing that our auditors would nix this as soon as our next review came up the powers that be have asked that it only be unlocked during business hours and then locked all the other time. I don't know what to do at this point. I know you can set times to user accounts that only allow them to login during certain hours but that wouldn't necessarily prevent anyone else from logging in on the machine. I'm seriously considering looking into some mouse wiggle program that will just move the mouse once every 15 minutes and running it as a scheduled task during business hours.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, that went from unreasonable to ridiculous.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Can you not tell this user to gently caress off, or get your boss to tell them to gently caress off, or something/anything

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

BaseballPCHiker posted:

This stupid user who cant ever have their computer locked is now officially pissing me off. Knowing that our auditors would nix this as soon as our next review came up the powers that be have asked that it only be unlocked during business hours and then locked all the other time. I don't know what to do at this point. I know you can set times to user accounts that only allow them to login during certain hours but that wouldn't necessarily prevent anyone else from logging in on the machine. I'm seriously considering looking into some mouse wiggle program that will just move the mouse once every 15 minutes and running it as a scheduled task during business hours.
tell them to assign an intern to wiggle said person's mouse every 10 minutes

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

Can you not tell this user to gently caress off, or get your boss to tell them to gently caress off, or something/anything

This is a wall street esque trading company. The traders get everything they want under the sun. It's also the most concerned about security place that I've ever worked for. When those two ideas meet it makes for some very interesting times such as this. This person is a trader therefore we need to move heaven and earth for them. Also it'll ding us on our upcoming security audit. So of course it comes down to "JESUS CHRIST HOW IS THIS SO HARD JUST MAKE IT WORK!". All because a trader cant be bothered to hit ctrl+alt+del and sign in when they need to. I'll have to figure something out and will be sure to post my solution when I do.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Buy him a nice programmable gaming mouse that has a button on it that will toggle a macro that causes it to roll the scroll wheel down one click every 14 minutes.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Can you script turning the locking on and off locally? Then do whatever you want to prevent the GPO from applying that to that particular machine and have it run the script when he logs in and off.

It's ugly, but if you absolutely have to make it work then I don't see a better way

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Buy him a nice programmable gaming mouse that has a button on it that will toggle a macro that causes it to roll the scroll wheel down one click every 14 minutes.

And when he forgets to turn it off and the wheel scroll results in him selling $1M instead of buying $1M, the whole IT department will burn

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

thebigcow posted:

Can you script turning the locking on and off locally? Then do whatever you want to prevent the GPO from applying that to that particular machine and have it run the script when he logs in and off.

It's ugly, but if you absolutely have to make it work then I don't see a better way

Yeah, a scheduled task might be the only "acceptable" way to do this.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

BaseballPCHiker posted:

This is a wall street esque trading company. The traders get everything they want under the sun. It's also the most concerned about security place that I've ever worked for. When those two ideas meet it makes for some very interesting times such as this. This person is a trader therefore we need to move heaven and earth for them. Also it'll ding us on our upcoming security audit. So of course it comes down to "JESUS CHRIST HOW IS THIS SO HARD JUST MAKE IT WORK!". All because a trader cant be bothered to hit ctrl+alt+del and sign in when they need to. I'll have to figure something out and will be sure to post my solution when I do.

Sounds like you've got enough cash to implement smart cards.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
e: wrong thread

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Judge Schnoopy posted:

And when he forgets to turn it off and the wheel scroll results in him selling $1M instead of buying $1M, the whole IT department will burn

More likely: He makes a very bad trade, and then blames the mouse after losing millions.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Do you have a working relationship with your auditing firm? Have someone run it by them and see what they say, best case they say "hell no" and your side listens to them, otherwise they might be able to tell you an acceptable workaround

Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

This sounds like a job for Windows Hello.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

Yeah this is the main thing. If you make a different OU and exclude it from the gpo it'll get a nice big blue exclamation mark so you know it's not inheriting policies.

You don't need to do this. Just being in a sub-OU will give the setting applied at that level precedence. If you block inheritance, you then have to recreate all your other domain settings in that OU.

e: Though clearly this issue has gone in a different direction, the fundamentals are still sound if it comes back to a GPO.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Da Mott Man posted:

This sounds like a job for Windows Hello.

Good thing it doesn't work for Windows 10 Pro. You can let people log in by hitting the space bar then a 4-digit pin though, saves time and Microsoft claims it's as good as a password because it only works at that single, local device you set it up on. I guess in a world where we bank on iPhones, that logic will fly.

Edit: also you can write a GPO to never sleep and schedule it on and off the computer with PDQ Deploy.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Feb 24, 2016

Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

Zero VGS posted:

Good thing it doesn't work for Windows 10 Pro. You can let people log in by hitting the space bar then a 4-digit pin though, saves time and Microsoft claims it's as good as a password because it only works at that single, local device you set it up on. I guess in a world where we bank on iPhones, that logic will fly.

Edit: also you can write a GPO to never sleep and schedule it on and off the computer with PDQ Deploy.

Uh what? Windows 10 Pro can join a domain and Windows Hello(Windows Passport) has domain policy that work exactly like the password complexity settings that we know and love. Not sure why I'm arguing for the joke option, other then you missed very wide the reason.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Well I've found a solution. It's stupid but it works. There is a dead simple program called Move Mouse : https://movemouse.codeplex.com/
I downloaded that and used its built in scheduling feature. It basically just moves the mouse one little pixel every 14 minutes during business hours and then turns off at the end of the day. I'm waiting on the inevitable tirade from the trader about how this messes up something but gently caress it. I'm not wasting any more time on this "project". I'll let the auditors know about when they come later this year. The IT audit does influence the accounting and business audit process as well, and our auditors at least last year werent complete poo poo heads so we'll see what they say.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Can you deploy a smart card reader for logins?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Give the fucker a smart card reader and a smart card for logins. During the day, it's his prerogative to leave his smart card right next to the reader on his desk.

Then vote Bernie 2016 and wait for the 99% to literally eat the flesh of the rich.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

any sql server dbas in this thread? not sure where to post a pretty advanced question. well, advanced for me, the db dev.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Abel Wingnut posted:

any sql server dbas in this thread? not sure where to post a pretty advanced question. well, advanced for me, the db dev.

Check this thread - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2672629

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

danke

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Anyone have experience deploying IaaS SQL in Azure in a Always-On configuration?

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
Anyone know off the top of their head if the US government allows permanent resident (non citizens) work at Boeing in IT? Curious because Boeing obviously has contracts with the DoD.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

lol internet. posted:

Anyone know off the top of their head if the US government allows permanent resident (non citizens) work at Boeing in IT? Curious because Boeing obviously has contracts with the DoD.

You should probably ask in Goons in Platoons, they have some job threads there that revolve around security clearances and government contractors.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

You should probably ask in Goons in Platoons, they have some job threads there that revolve around security clearances and government contractors.

Are security clearances tied to the military in the USA or something :psyduck:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

CLAM DOWN posted:

Are security clearances tied to the military in the USA or something :psyduck:

Security clearances involve a good amount of time and money to get, if nothing because you can't work until you have the clearance.
The military has plenty of time and money, so if you need a security clearance, they'll have other poo poo for you to do while the paperwork gets processed. Or they'll just have you do the work without the proper clearance and then everyone shrugs their shoulders and says that there must have been a fuckup in the paperwork. In the end though, it's a good route towards clearance.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I can't think of a Boeing engineering team that can allow foreign national IT.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

A Canadian may be able to do more work than others by strict interpretation of DoC policy, but you still have to consider Boeing's internal export policy as well.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Security clearances involve a good amount of time and money to get, if nothing because you can't work until you have the clearance.
The military has plenty of time and money, so if you need a security clearance, they'll have other poo poo for you to do while the paperwork gets processed. Or they'll just have you do the work without the proper clearance and then everyone shrugs their shoulders and says that there must have been a fuckup in the paperwork. In the end though, it's a good route towards clearance.

I know, I have a high level security clearance in Canada. I just did non-classified work until mine was processed, it took about 6 months. It also shouldn't cost a person any money? Why would your company not pay for it? I just didn't get the military tie-in.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I think often veterans already have the security clearances so they're more easily employable right out the gate. And I think often that these contracts might encourage hiring veterans so you end up with a lot of veterans doing contracting work.

Or maybe it just happened that civilians working for the DoD congregated in GiP for whatever reason.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Yeah, I keep forgetting how big of a deal "veterans" are in the USA and how it actually is helpful somehow for getting jobs. You guys are weird. Anyways, derail alert.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
I have one new marketing manager at work asking me if we have Microsoft Project, or if there's anything like it he can use. From what I can see none of our other 500 employees have it, we just have the normal O365 apps. Microsoft Project is $25/user/month or $500-1000-ish for a perpetuity license. What do I tell this guy, is there some kinda freeware that'll do a good enough job or should I just hold my nose and nab the thing?

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yeah, I keep forgetting how big of a deal "veterans" are in the USA and how it actually is helpful somehow for getting jobs. You guys are weird. Anyways, derail alert.

I was only saying that anyone working any kind of information services in the military gets a security clearance, the investigation to get one costs like $50,000 or something, so when US vets get out, all these defense contractors hire them first and you get paid way more than even the rest of the private sector to do the same job but with a clearance. That's why if you browse the vet jobs threads in the GiP forums, a lot of people are super knowledgeable about the clearance process and govt contractor hiring practices.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

the investigation to get one costs like $50,000 or something

omg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Zero VGS posted:

I have one new marketing manager at work asking me if we have Microsoft Project, or if there's anything like it he can use. From what I can see none of our other 500 employees have it, we just have the normal O365 apps. Microsoft Project is $25/user/month or $500-1000-ish for a perpetuity license. What do I tell this guy, is there some kinda freeware that'll do a good enough job or should I just hold my nose and nab the thing?

If he needs it to do his job, then he needs it. Just expect to keep shelling out the money to others because there is no free Project viewer.