Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

FELD1 posted:

I hate to be that guy, but I believe she was a transsexual.

Yeah, Carmen was (is? does she still show up?) a transwoman, not a crossdresser. A surprisingly well-done trans character, given the nature of the show and when her episodes aired, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Yeah, Carmen was (is? does she still show up?) a transwoman, not a crossdresser. A surprisingly well-done trans character, given the nature of the show and when her episodes aired, too.

Yeah I made a mistake. Sorry. However, he was ashamed as he did not want anyone seeing him with her when she was still a man in Mac is a serial killer and then he gets all pissed off that she gets married.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Mac and Charlie going back and forth after catching the leprechaun is easily the hardest I've laughed this season and will probably become one of my top 10 favorite Sunny scenes

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
i agree that the show is becoming more exaggerated and losing some of that subtlety but it's been on for 11 seasons now.if they weren't getting more extreme then people would complain that the show isn't going anywhere. all shows change, usually for the worse, and i hope they end it soon so we can see something new. in interviews i get the sense that they'd like to end always sunny and try something different lest everyone but charlie day ends up with a single show career, i've read somewhere that they want to try a star trek style sci fi which could be great

season 11 has some of the least amount of writing from charlie, glenn, and rob. there's a variable amount of writing credits from the three ranging from about 1/3 to 2/3 of the episodes per season, but this season charlie and rob wrote 1 ep together and glenn hasn't written at all. really i'd prefer they end on a high note rather than seeing an actual decline in the quality of the show as we grind on towards like season 15. i wonder how much seasons 11 and 12 were bought just for FX to have a known show to draw viewers to FXX despite the gang being more or less over the show and wanting to move on

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Feb 26, 2016

Electromax
May 6, 2007
There's no guarantee anything the main cast writes will automatically be amazing. They've been doing it for 11 years too. Larry David wrote the Seinfeld finale, after all

hottubrhymemachine posted:

I just thought it was funnier when Mac didnt actually go to gay bars and need towels. ... ow hes just doing gay stuff and pretending he isnt and it lost what made it so funny.

hottubrhymemachine posted:

I think its just fear of changing what they know to work and just leaning on it more and more. I would love for them to take more risks with the characters because they're absolutely brilliant.

I'm sure there are plenty of Sunny fans out there who like the show just as much as I do who just want to see Dee called a bitch and Charlie bashing rats until the end. Thats fine but the quality is dropping now and and I'd like them to end with a bang not a whimper.

I feel like these posts simultaneously complain that they changed things, and also complain they haven't taken enough risks. You think they Mac is gay jokes aren't funny anymore because they used to be subtle, but then you insinuate that retelling the same joke ad nauseum is one of the problems.

All the old episodes are still there to re-experience that stuff. I'd rather they get real weird with it. (but don't turn it into a drama because then I'm done)

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I liked the episode and I really think a lot of you are taking things far too seriously. Showing the gang committing felonies, often violent/armed ones, isn't something new to this season. They've been doing it since the beginning (or at least, since season 2). How would Dennis going to prison be funny? Comedy shows aren't supposed to be about the characters getting what they deserve - Seinfeld tried it, and most people didn't find it funny. This episode was funny, most of the rest of the episodes the past couple seasons have been funny, they are still doing their job just fine.

e: vv I guess, but it'd have to be done in a funny way, and Dennis murdering/raping someone and getting caught like some people have talked about wouldn't be that way.

yeah I eat ass fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Feb 26, 2016

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Murphy Brownback posted:

I liked the episode and I really think a lot of you are taking things far too seriously. Showing the gang committing felonies, often violent/armed ones, isn't something new to this season. They've been doing it since the beginning (or at least, since season 2). How would Dennis going to prison be funny? Comedy shows aren't supposed to be about the characters getting what they deserve - Seinfeld tried it, and most people didn't find it funny. This episode was funny, most of the rest of the episodes the past couple seasons have been funny, they are still doing their job just fine.

The Gang adapting to prison life would be hilarious, actually.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

The Gang adapting to prison life would be hilarious, actually.

Mac and Charlie go to prison and end up in the same cell block as Mac's dad. Hilarity ensues.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Charlie would do great in prison, he's a survivor who doesn't mind getting his hands dirty. He'd be training rats to deliver smokes in no time.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

THA TITTY THRILLER posted:

Charlie would do great in prison, he's a survivor who doesn't mind getting his hands dirty. He'd be training rats to deliver smokes in no time.
Dee would have a captive audience for her characters.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Electromax posted:

There's no guarantee anything the main cast writes will automatically be amazing. They've been doing it for 11 years too. Larry David wrote the Seinfeld finale, after all

that's not what im saying. many 'classic' episodes have been written by folks other than rob, glenn, and charlie, and who writes the episodes has nothing to do with quality

my point is that this low level of writing activity from the three guys who created the show demonstrates that the show is long in the tooth and probably should end soon before it just becomes a stale going through the motions kind of thing.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

THA TITTY THRILLER posted:

I feel like that would end up too much like Charlie Rules The World and Charlie Work though.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I thought this was one of the worst episodes of the series, honestly.

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.
But it was so ideal for new viewers.

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man
This show is really funny I'm not sure why anyone is interested in making episode to episode or season to season comparisons. If its bad, don't watch it?

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Yeah, theres definitely a range in quality of episodes, but I cant think of any that I would outright call bad and just turn off if it was on. Even Frank's Brother's making the sandwich in his mouth makes me laugh often as I prepare my lunch.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I was about to post how this was a down season since I thought this episode was pretty bad but then I was looking over the episode list and yeah I liked Being Frank quite a bit, McPoyle vs. Ponderosa was pretty good as was Chardee McDennis 2. Still though down from the last couple seasons though.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
This is probably the weakest season so far, but it's still loving fantastic. Sunny is honest-to-god surpassing The Simpsons in ability to maintain its quality; Being Frank is one of the best episodes of the entire show so far (the entire sequence in Artemis' house is probably the hardest I've ever laughed at this show).

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Charlie sipping the paint while reenacting the Reservoir Dogs torture scene was fantastic; the episode wasn't perfect, but I enjoyed it.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Yah loved all the mac and Charlie bits, lots of great lines. And I thought it was pretty great how Dennis's plan "logically" turned to robbery (kick them out for wanting to pay in cash, cant let them call the cops or cab).

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Popular Thug Drink posted:

i agree that the show is becoming more exaggerated and losing some of that subtlety but it's been on for 11 seasons now.if they weren't getting more extreme then people would complain that the show isn't going anywhere. all shows change, usually for the worse, and i hope they end it soon so we can see something new. in interviews i get the sense that they'd like to end always sunny and try something different lest everyone but charlie day ends up with a single show career, i've read somewhere that they want to try a star trek style sci fi which could be great

season 11 has some of the least amount of writing from charlie, glenn, and rob. there's a variable amount of writing credits from the three ranging from about 1/3 to 2/3 of the episodes per season, but this season charlie and rob wrote 1 ep together and glenn hasn't written at all. really i'd prefer they end on a high note rather than seeing an actual decline in the quality of the show as we grind on towards like season 15. i wonder how much seasons 11 and 12 were bought just for FX to have a known show to draw viewers to FXX despite the gang being more or less over the show and wanting to move on

hey you're a little late to the party here but it passed the high note a while ago.

the last episode was basically just a regular sunny ep from a regular season but it was far and away the best one so far this season because it's the only one that wasn't some retarded gimmick poo poo. they've already started the grind, they may as well keep it going. if they wanted to end on a high note they should have made Charlie Work the series finale at the end of season 8 or 9.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I like how half the thread seems to think every new episode is "best episode of all time!" and the other half is "this season is the worst". I will controversially take the middle ground of "this season is pretty good".

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
This season is pretty good but it's very inconsistent and has two of the weakest episodes this show ever had alongside side a few of the most hilarious ones.

All in all still better than season 10 for me, not that it really matters. Honestly this season exceeded my expectations and I am generally happy with it although it does feel like they're getting closer towards scraping the bottom of the barrell creatively.

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Feb 27, 2016

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Murphy Brownback posted:

I like how half the thread seems to think every new episode is "best episode of all time!" and the other half is "this season is the worst". I will controversially take the middle ground of "this season is pretty good".

This is TV IV in a nutshell. A third of the goons hate a new episode, a third of the goons think it's the best ever, and the other third of goons spend WAY to long trying to decide if when the character gets on a bus to go to work, if it's actually implying the the character is a broke psychopath serial killer clown.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Mr. Unlucky posted:

it was far and away the best one so far this season because it's the only one that wasn't some gimmick

Smut Film, Suburbs and the Trial were are more normal than the St Patrick's Day one. Also if the ski one aired in S5 everyone would call it a classic.

I felt the show was dipping a lot more in S6-8 than now. It's as consistent as ever.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I still want to know how the leprechaun got his head stuck in the trap.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Got drunk and tripped.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

EL BROMANCE posted:

I still want to know how the leprechaun got his head stuck in the trap.

Tried to gnaw his ankle free, went too far.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Both reasonable explanations, and it's now surprising that I've not ended up in a similar situation myself. Maybe this St Patrick's day!

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
What's wrong with gimmick episodes anyways? We have 10 season of "normal" sunny, so why not try some strange stuff like Being Frank or a thematic one like the ski episode (which is similar in parody concept to the leathal weapons).
Granted, trying to do different things might not always work out as well, but I like when they try.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
What's the point of going this long if they don't experiment with the show? I would rather they do this crazy stuff that is genuinely funny than just make a boring normal show until they get canceled. What other show out there has the main characters get so bored of their schtick that they forget to even try to pitch their business to people before robbing them and dumping them outside town?

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

checkplease posted:

What's wrong with gimmick episodes anyways? We have 10 season of "normal" sunny, so why not try some strange stuff like Being Frank or a thematic one like the ski episode (which is similar in parody concept to the leathal weapons).
Granted, trying to do different things might not always work out as well, but I like when they try.

Some of my favorite episodes are gimmick episodes. Particularly, The Gang Cracks The Liberty Bell.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Am I the only one who read the app part as a tongue in cheek commentary about the FX App?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Am I the only one who read the app part as a tongue in cheek commentary about the FX App?

Yes. I have never heard about that app and so nobody else has :c00lbert: ya jabroni

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

It's clearly a joke about pointless apps in general.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

It was specifically a joke about windows tablets being sucky as poo poo.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Probably because you're the only one that knows there is an FX App.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

WrightOfWay posted:

It's clearly a joke about pointless apps in general.

and data mining and complex payment methods

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

and data mining and complex payment methods

NO ITS WINDOWS GODDANIT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

the FX app is great if you have adblock

Snapchat A Titty posted:

It was specifically a joke about windows tablets being sucky as poo poo.

this is very possible