Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer

D1E posted:

Can someone please ask in the whatever-the-gently caress today's CIG live-streaming "lie to the public" show is called if Sandi and Chris will be attending the Academy Awards Sunday night and whether they'll be sitting with Gary Oldman and Gillian Anderson?

:vince:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

peter gabriel posted:

Yeah he's definitley using the word wrong then

He means “redesigned” or “rebuilt from scratch”, but given past accusations of them wasting time and money on re-doing everything umpteen times, I'm guessing that it's a standing company order to never say those two things since it would mean the accusers (and even Derek) were right about something. Can't have that, now can we?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

fuctifino posted:

The real reason why Ben hasn't got a loving clue what is going on around him.

https://twitter.com/banditloaf/status/703324255509807104

He's been too busy archiving Wing Commander stuff.

Note that this is actually in his office.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

G0RF posted:

Not a word was said on the topic-- which doesn't really surprise me since they've nothing to gain and much to lose by talking about it.

I was kind of hoping there would be a general call for improved civility since Ben made that panic post about that recently. But no joy...

---

I'm probably reading too much into it but when Sandi discussed Chris's return as 'interesting...' I couldn't help but think of EightAce's characterization of recent events and wonder, "Did Chris come back pissed about it?" Probably not, but if so it sure didn't seem like the RtV gang was given notes.

CLASSIC SANDI MOMENT(tm)

One thing that was clear was Sandi's theatrical pizza chewing performance early on was a big FU to goons making noise about Timtam Slamming and Donut Dangling.

Mad props to the lass for the passive aggressive secret messaging. Sandi can't be tamed or shamed! I was also glad to see she miraculously recovered from her RTV-induced photophobia. If she'd had the glasses on it would've taken away from the glaring. Well played - we'll never underestimate your thin-skinned, petty, spitefulness again.

On that note:

---

A MESSAGE TO CIG LA

Seriously, CIG people-- what is it about this thread that obsesses you so?

I know why so many of us can't turn away from it-- we just can't believe you've gotten away with so much wrongdoing, dishonesty and incompetence. We honestly can't believe it's not the biggest story in gaming right now. We are rubbernecking at the scene of the biggest, bloodiest pileup in gaming history and keep wondering when the cops and ambulances are going to arrive.

But what do you get out of it, Sandi? Ben? Others?

If you don't think you've done anything wrong, why do you delete your own archival media and rewrite your own history in real time?

If you don't think the criticisms of your actions are valid, why do you banish those who speak them?

If you think the game speaks for itself, then why do you spend so much time apologizing for it?

I suspect that you know that we are- on the whole- right about you and the game. And that you genuinely are afraid that if more people see what is obvious to us, you just might lose the faith of the faithful and credibility in the marketplace. And then the jig is up-- and not too long after, the post mortems begin.

Do you think the final reports are going to read, "One of the greatest potential games in history died today, ultimately felled by trolls, goons and haters who fought CIG's noble efforts at building a dream game" ? Do you really think history will file this all under "AT LEAST THEY TRIED"?

It's not going to happen, guys. It's just not.

Your story makes Ion Storm's history look like a model of discipline and restraint. John Romero circa 1998 would wince in fremdschämen at your excesses, misdeeds and unforced errors and John Romero 2016 will finally see an answer to 16 years of praying for a replacement in gaming infamy.

The solution to all of this isn't to monitor all dissent and silence it where you can. Nor is it to erase history and punish ex-employees.

(Over 500 :words: of helpful advice removed because I realized too late I'm a fool for trying. Just keep doing what you're doing, guys. It'll make the eventual documentary someone makes that much more riveting ...)

This is a beautiful effort post GORF, as always.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

Ag Bengip posted:

My God, look at these wonderful animals. Are they good pals?

Getting an answer to this is the most important thing ITT right now.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Ponzi posted:

So... the Xi'ian Scout and missing seat thing...

From the picture I've seen, it looks like the two players are positioned next to each other - One is higher up, but not directly in front of the other. So how can one player be blocking the other? One player could get out from the left of the ship, and the other from the right. So how can one be 'blocked in'?

Edit - bigger version for clarity:

Because it's bullshit?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

AugmentedVision posted:

Getting an answer to this is the most important thing ITT right now.

im_sorry posted:

No.. the cats aren't allowed to get too close to the birds, although this cat and our terrier/schnauzer mutt are best buds.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
gently caress

Haskell9
Sep 23, 2008

post it live
The Great Twist

put this vessel in Plebian and I will back it on kickstarder

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

G0RF posted:

Not a word was said on the topic-- which doesn't really surprise me since they've nothing to gain and much to lose by talking about it.

I was kind of hoping there would be a general call for improved civility since Ben made that panic post about that recently. But no joy...

---

I'm probably reading too much into it but when Sandi discussed Chris's return as 'interesting...' I couldn't help but think of EightAce's characterization of recent events and wonder, "Did Chris come back pissed about it?" Probably not, but if so it sure didn't seem like the RtV gang was given notes.

CLASSIC SANDI MOMENT(tm)

One thing that was clear was Sandi's theatrical pizza chewing performance early on was a big FU to goons making noise about Timtam Slamming and Donut Dangling.

Mad props to the lass for the passive aggressive secret messaging. Sandi can't be tamed or shamed! I was also glad to see she miraculously recovered from her RTV-induced photophobia. If she'd had the glasses on it would've taken away from the glaring. Well played - we'll never underestimate your thin-skinned, petty, spitefulness again.

On that note:

---

A MESSAGE TO CIG LA

Seriously, CIG people-- what is it about this thread that obsesses you so?

I know why so many of us can't turn away from it-- we just can't believe you've gotten away with so much wrongdoing, dishonesty and incompetence. We honestly can't believe it's not the biggest story in gaming right now. We are rubbernecking at the scene of the biggest, bloodiest pileup in gaming history and keep wondering when the cops and ambulances are going to arrive.

But what do you get out of it, Sandi? Ben? Others?

If you don't think you've done anything wrong, why do you delete your own archival media and rewrite your own history in real time?

If you don't think the criticisms of your actions are valid, why do you banish those who speak them?

If you think the game speaks for itself, then why do you spend so much time apologizing for it?

I suspect that you know that we are- on the whole- right about you and the game. And that you genuinely are afraid that if more people see what is obvious to us, you just might lose the faith of the faithful and credibility in the marketplace. And then the jig is up-- and not too long after, the post mortems begin.

Do you think the final reports are going to read, "One of the greatest potential games in history died today, ultimately felled by trolls, goons and haters who fought CIG's noble efforts at building a dream game" ? Do you really think history will file this all under "AT LEAST THEY TRIED"?

It's not going to happen, guys. It's just not.

Your story makes Ion Storm's history look like a model of discipline and restraint. John Romero circa 1998 would wince in fremdschämen at your excesses, misdeeds and unforced errors and John Romero 2016 will finally see an answer to 16 years of praying for a replacement in gaming infamy.

The solution to all of this isn't to monitor all dissent and silence it where you can. Nor is it to erase history and punish ex-employees.

(Over 500 :words: of helpful advice removed because I realized too late I'm a fool for trying. Just keep doing what you're doing, guys. It'll make the eventual documentary someone makes that much more riveting ...)

:bravo:

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Watch- SC will be a series of Arena Commander maps stitched together with cutscenes. No FPS sections other than maybe interactive on-ship cutscenes, no real choices, but just a linear story.

Which, in all fairness, would be completely adequate for what was originally pitched. But not adequate for what is now supposed to be a sandbox game that takes place in the expanded SC universe.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Crablots.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

The only thing that I can think that triggered the copyright takedown of RTV was the music they used at the beginning.

It would be great if it was taken down for the cheesy lift music before the opening credits. lol

e: I assume the orchestral track was a SC piece?

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

musicshemale posted:

Something I've never really understood is the idea that this is split into two completely separate AAA games. Aren't they supposed to be using the same underlying gameplay system? It should be a single AAA platform with a highly scripted piece of gameplay within it to emphasize a story. I'm probably not adding anything new, I just really don't get it.

From my understanding it was originally supposed to be one game. When you get tired of doing your MMO bullshit in Star Citizen you could start a single player mission and do something more story focused. It was originally supposed to be a fairly modest campaign to add a bit of flair to the game, but quickly spun out of control into it's own thing. And I imagine having two different teams, with completely different goals, working on the same codebase, also motivated them to sever the games.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
When will you stop asking why Ben says the things he says. Everything he says is a bald faced lie because he has no clue what is going on around him but he is expected to take the fall

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

This is how the 2-pilot thing was supposed to work:

Giant image available @ http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/starcitizen/images/c/c9/Xian_scout_ship_cockpit_workings.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20140704213807

I think by "blocked in" they mean "with zero outside visibility" because CryEngine doesn't do multiple viewports or non-screen viewports or some poo poo like that correctly (hence the lost opaque cockpit & new loltacular vertical bars)

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Disco posted about the takedown

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

A Neurotic Jew posted:

can't wait to check in on this weeks RtV...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zZLfUxzGNo

:shrug:

Bandai probably didn't want them to steal any of their swords to make a ship.

Ponzi
Feb 21, 2016

DEPORTED FROM FLAVOR TOWN

ICSA 67 LOSER
Fun Shoe

runsamok posted:

Giant image available @ http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/starcitizen/images/c/c9/Xian_scout_ship_cockpit_workings.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20140704213807

I think by "blocked in" they mean "with zero outside visibility" because CryEngine doesn't do multiple viewports or non-screen viewports or some poo poo like that correctly (hence the lost opaque cockpit & new loltacular vertical bars)

Ah I see. So they don't get in and out through the invisible sides of the cockpit

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

runsamok posted:

That makes more sense.
Good engine. :bravo:

Still, that still leaves the question of why not just lock both seats in the forward position.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Feb 27, 2016

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
sounds like they're working on a new youtube pipeline, good to hear.

Ponzi
Feb 21, 2016

DEPORTED FROM FLAVOR TOWN

ICSA 67 LOSER
Fun Shoe

Tippis posted:

That makes more sense.
Good engine. :bravo:

It's almost like they used an engine designed from the ground-up for FPS or something.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6405642/#Comment_6405642

ideate
Aug 20, 2002

G0RF posted:

CLASSIC SANDI MOMENT(tm)

What about the whole 'chair for Sandi' thing at the beginning?

planned or incompetence

either way really

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

I will never stop being amazed at these people.

"Anyone who doesn't agree to play the game the exact way I want to should be effectively banned from the game for a period of time!"

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/319990/we-re-ready-are-you-cig

Even Logical Chimp is pretty downbeat about this idea

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
Logical Chimp got spayed and neutered by Chairgate it is awesome.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Derek Smart does it concern you that when SC fails that you will probably not be able to do anything game related for years without the trolls coming out to destroy it in retaliation? Because obviously its your fault this game sucks or whatever they tell themselves.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
So there's this commercial for Little Caesar's where they apologize for removing a type of pizza from their menu and say it was entirely THIS ONE GUY'S fault, and his job title is "The skapegoat".

...Just reminded of it for some reason.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/319982/ready-when-ready

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/320006/having-doubts-about-star-citizen

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Mushy needs a wedgie, a noogie and a swirly. Possibly a pink belly and purple nurple as well.

ideate
Aug 20, 2002

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

:five:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Mirificus posted:

Even Logical Chimp is pretty downbeat about this idea

Ignoring how astounding it is that Logical Chimp is actually angry at CIG, there's a lot more than just those three:

Retaliator: Nobody knows what the gently caress this thing is anymore but apparently "bomber" now means "piece of poo poo with guns that can't harm a gnat".

Vanguard: Oh drat she got faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat.

Constellation: I guess this thing has gotten revamped so many times that they can pretty much justify it being whatever at this point.

Sabre: LOL STEALTH

Hornet: Not so much a scary dogfighter as a fat target.

Freelancer: LOL VISIBILITY

300i: WTF is supposed to happen with the interior again?

Mustang: Fragile abortion that nobody really understands.

I think the only reason people haven't complained too much about the Aurora is that it's supposed to be a POS. The Gladiator seems to fulfill its role of being a fat missile boat rather well. The M50 seems to do its job of going super fast very well. The Gladius is probably the only craft I can think of that isn't totally hosed and meets expectations... it might even be too good.

Either way nobody should be giving CIG money.

Inkel
Feb 19, 2004

College Slice

This is some wonderful Fox News style graph making right here. Put an incredibly popular game up against a game almost no one has heard of to show how no one plays the unknown game. I'm sure the SC forumgoers were shocked to learn that more people play GTAV than LoD.

Doc Cunado
Mar 16, 2009

Posting from 1992. Sorry if this has already been posted. http://steamcommunity.com/games/407840/announcements/detail/857178496799079226

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
here's the helmet you get if you become a star citizen outlaw

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Thats that one game hahahah. Dishonored.

But digital

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

A Neurotic Jew posted:

here's the helmet you get if you become a star citizen outlaw

:mrgw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Ignoring how astounding it is that Logical Chimp is actually angry at CIG, there's a lot more than just those three:

Retaliator: Nobody knows what the gently caress this thing is anymore but apparently "bomber" now means "piece of poo poo with guns that can't harm a gnat".

Vanguard: Oh drat she got faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat.

Constellation: I guess this thing has gotten revamped so many times that they can pretty much justify it being whatever at this point.

Sabre: LOL STEALTH

Hornet: Not so much a scary dogfighter as a fat target.

Freelancer: LOL VISIBILITY

300i: WTF is supposed to happen with the interior again?

Mustang: Fragile abortion that nobody really understands.

I think the only reason people haven't complained too much about the Aurora is that it's supposed to be a POS. The Gladiator seems to fulfill its role of being a fat missile boat rather well. The M50 seems to do its job of going super fast very well. The Gladius is probably the only craft I can think of that isn't totally hosed and meets expectations... it might even be too good.

Either way nobody should be giving CIG money.

Constellation: It is now a cargo ship. I'm not kidding. It's hosed.

Next ship gonna be "let's throw random poo poo in a pile and see what happens, but make it bigger, or smaller if need be".

edit: On the connie, ever other person is like, "yeah, it's a great hauler now". ZING

• Locked thread