Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

"During her confirmation hearing, she received support from Speaker Paul Ryan, R-Wisconsin, who is related to her by marriage."

Trollbama strikes again.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
A 45 year old, liberal black female District Judge?

:vince:

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Unzip and Attack posted:

A 45 year old, liberal black female District Judge?

:vince:

Also a former public defender. And one of Paul Ryan's in-laws.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I wonder how long it will be until we stop getting these weekly reminders that Scalia being dead is a good thing.

cbservo
Dec 26, 2009

by exmarx

Kalman posted:

Thanksgiving Dinner's gonna be awkward this year.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

patentmagus posted:

Yes, they play the same role for the left wing that Soros and Bloomberg play for the right wing.

you, uh, you said that the same power broker controls both parties, this is manifestly untrue

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

From that article -

“Can't give much detail about the list, but I can tell you that we are still in a position where the list is not closed at this point, that there are still people being considered for inclusion on the list of people that the president may consider for filling the Supreme Court vacancy,” Josh Earnest, a White House spokesman, told reporters Friday morning.

Surely such a list already existed, though? I mean it can't have never crossed anyone in the administration's minds that they might have to nominate a Supreme Court judge at some point.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
i mean i got no great love for the man but george soros is, and i dont think this is a controversial statement, not a koch brother

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

showbiz_liz posted:

From that article -

“Can't give much detail about the list, but I can tell you that we are still in a position where the list is not closed at this point, that there are still people being considered for inclusion on the list of people that the president may consider for filling the Supreme Court vacancy,” Josh Earnest, a White House spokesman, told reporters Friday morning.

Surely such a list already existed, though? I mean it can't have never crossed anyone in the administration's minds that they might have to nominate a Supreme Court judge at some point.

I can imagine that they had a list, but the insane political context that has sprung up around this nomination probably means that they have had to search for candidates with different political connotations then what was on the default list.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

I can imagine that they had a list, but the insane political context that has sprung up around this nomination probably means that they have had to search for candidates with different political connotations then what was on the default list.

Makes sense.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Radish posted:

I wonder how long it will be until we stop getting these weekly reminders that Scalia being dead is a good thing.
Heat death of the universe? I mean, you could be having a really bad day in 20 years and still think to yourself, "Well, at least Scalia's dead."

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

A car crashed and lit on fire on the arterial I take home from work. Spent an hour parked on the road, catching more-than-occasional whiffs of burning vehicle, while the mass of shitheads trying to draw data from every tower within range meant I had to listen to loving commercials while a god drat subhuman piece of rural trash idled his loving farm truck with its lack of a muffler next to my loving car. My backseat passenger door actually had soot on it from that loving cockroach's heap.

On the other hand, Scalia dropped dead earlier this month.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Kalman posted:

"During her confirmation hearing, she received support from Speaker Paul Ryan, R-Wisconsin, who is related to her by marriage."

Trollbama strikes again.

no way

I wanna watch Ryan squirm when put on the spot

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Kalman posted:

Oh, to have seen his face when he heard the news.

Edit: vvv

mdemone fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Feb 27, 2016

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

mdemone posted:

Oh, to have seen his face when he heard the news.

"I've made a huge mistake."

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

FAUXTON posted:

A car crashed and lit on fire on the arterial I take home from work. Spent an hour parked on the road, catching more-than-occasional whiffs of burning vehicle, while the mass of shitheads trying to draw data from every tower within range meant I had to listen to loving commercials while a god drat subhuman piece of rural trash idled his loving farm truck with its lack of a muffler next to my loving car. My backseat passenger door actually had soot on it from that loving cockroach's heap.

On the other hand, Scalia dropped dead earlier this month.

I was once stuck in an hour long traffic jam that Scalia caused. An hour of my life that I'll never get back, but hey, Scalia's dead.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Plus they probably have to find several acceptable nominees for whatever insane situation they end up in now instead of a single nominee. One for when if the Senate cracks and actually holds hearings, Several for if they need to leave a trail of failed nominations at the Republicans' feet, at least one liberal judicial messiah for the election/leverage, and at least a handful of names whose consideration can be leaked to gently caress with the Senate while not loving it up for the White House. That's a whole lot of judges you've got to have ready and willing to put up with various levels of congressional dickery at the drop of a hat.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Kalman posted:

Trollbama strikes again.

Are you kidding that's unbelievable.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Gyges posted:

Plus they probably have to find several acceptable nominees for whatever insane situation they end up in now instead of a single nominee. One for when if the Senate cracks and actually holds hearings, Several for if they need to leave a trail of failed nominations at the Republicans' feet, at least one liberal judicial messiah for the election/leverage, and at least a handful of names whose consideration can be leaked to gently caress with the Senate while not loving it up for the White House. That's a whole lot of judges you've got to have ready and willing to put up with various levels of congressional dickery at the drop of a hat.

So what you're saying is that, given Democratic demographics, the Obama administration's vetting team almost certainly has binders full of women.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

I do love it when Obama goes all Machiavellian like he is with this slew of judicial candidates. :allears:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Kalman posted:

:perfect:

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Kalman posted:

Trollbama strikes again.

hahahahahaha

That is utterly fantastic.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

Kalman posted:

Trollbama strikes again.

Just chiming in to say that this is incredible.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Please provide more details of Ryan's relation to Jackson. Is she his wife's brother's wife or what's the deal? Also, regardless of politics, Scalia being replaced by a (relatively) young black woman is about the most wonderful thing I could think. Only thing better would be if she weren't part of the incestuous ivy-league "meritocracy" of DC.

edit: Some quick googling provided this:

ABC News posted:

One of names being floated as a possible pick is someone who Ryan calls family: D.C. District Court Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson. Connected by marriage, Jackson’s husband, Patrick Jackson, is the twin brother of Ryan’s brother-in-law William Jackson.

How could someone be the twin brother of Ryan's brother-in-law and not also his brother-in-law?

The Puppy Bowl fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Feb 28, 2016

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

edit: Some quick googling provided this:

How could someone be the twin brother of Ryan's brother-in-law and not also his brother-in-law?
Maybe William is married to Paul Ryan's sister, making them brother-in-laws but not the twin brother?

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
My brother is brother-in-law to his wife's siblings, but I am not. I think that's how it works. It's one step removed.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
At what point does Speaker Ryan become his own grandpa?

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Brother/sister in law is between the person who did the marrying and all their spouse's siblings. If his twin brother married someone Ryan would be brother in law only to his brother's wife.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Jarmak posted:

Brother/sister in law is between the person who did the marrying and all their spouse's siblings. If his twin brother married someone Ryan would be brother in law only to his brother's wife.

What if the twin brother stood in during the ceremony due to wacky bachelor party hijinks?

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

So I gotta ask, with the abortion cases coming up, does the death of the most evil guy there really have any chance of basically preventing the complete destruction of reproductive rights in this country?

Sorry, I've lived a lifetime of watching my rights vanish year after year, so this case probably worries me the most.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Rebochan posted:

So I gotta ask, with the abortion cases coming up, does the death of the most evil guy there really have any chance of basically preventing the complete destruction of reproductive rights in this country?

Sorry, I've lived a lifetime of watching my rights vanish year after year, so this case probably worries me the most.

I think this election about wraps it up for the total banning of abortion, but the curtailing of abortion rights in individual states poses the greater threat.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Aliquid posted:

I think this election about wraps it up for the total banning of abortion, but the curtailing of abortion rights in individual states poses the greater threat.

The states are what I was referring to. Specifically the South successfully eradicating it assuming the next round of cases split 4-4. I hate hoping Kennedy won't be a complete poo poo, basically.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Rebochan posted:

The states are what I was referring to. Specifically the South successfully eradicating it assuming the next round of cases split 4-4. I hate hoping Kennedy won't be a complete poo poo, basically.

Kennedy IIRC has always been kind of a prick around abortion. Whether that means he's for a path for state-made bans is different. Roberts might side pro-choice on this particular level as well because he seems to be keen on some kind of legacy and not in the "I was instrumental in greenlighting the deaths of millions of women and children" sort of way. Might manage to see a 6-2 split with a very pissy Alito being Kylo Ren levels of angry-whiny.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Rebochan posted:

It means that even if the regulations are upheld, its without setting a precedent so once a new nominee is appointed, assuming it's an Obama or Clinton nominee, they can very quickly undo it. Other circuits also don't have to follow it.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
A D victory means a revived Roe, btw, and the end to all these dumb state laws

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

FAUXTON posted:

Kennedy IIRC has always been kind of a prick around abortion. Whether that means he's for a path for state-made bans is different. Roberts might side pro-choice on this particular level as well because he seems to be keen on some kind of legacy and not in the "I was instrumental in greenlighting the deaths of millions of women and children" sort of way. Might manage to see a 6-2 split with a very pissy Alito being Kylo Ren levels of angry-whiny.
So the 2 would be Alito and Thomas. What is Thomas's reasoning for banning abortion?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CannonFodder posted:

So the 2 would be Alito and Thomas. What is Thomas's reasoning for banning abortion?

He wouldn't agree with the due process cause of the 14th amendment granting a right to privacy.

Thomas and Scalia's concurrence in the partial birth abortion ban case (Gonzales v Carhart)

quote:

I join the Court's opinion because it accurately applies current jurisprudence, including Planned Parenthood of Southeastern Pa. v. Casey, 505 U. S. 833 (1992). I write separately to reiterate my view that the Court's abortion jurisprudence, including Casey and Roe v. Wade, 410 U. S. 113 (1973), has no basis in the Constitution. See Casey, supra, at 979 (SCALIA, J., concurring in judgment in part and dissenting in part); Stenberg v. Carhart, 530 U. S. 914, 980-983 (2000) (THOMAS, J., dissenting). I also note that whether the Act constitutes a permissible exercise of Congress' power under the Commerce Clause is not before the Court. The parties did not raise or brief that issue; it is outside the question presented; and the lower courts did not address it. See Cutter v. Wilkinson, 544 U. S. 709, 727, n. 2 (2005) (THOMAS, J., concurring).
- See more at: http://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-supreme-court/550/124.html#sthash.Y8QW8Cp2.dpuf

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Feb 29, 2016

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
He's alive!

https://twitter.com/BreakingNews/status/704338712147140610

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

You had me worried for a second there. :ohdear: