Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Mango Polo posted:

Going to be joining the psychic master race?

Nah, if I do 30k it'll probably be Blood Angels. I really liked Fear to Tread for some reason.

I want to convert the Mantic mummy models to be more egyptian, and I figure there were more 1k sons conversion parts over fantasy conversions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

panascope posted:

Let's have a Typhon v. Warhound Grudge Match.

Scoria vs Horus. Just wargear, one unit only, Final Destination.

e:

muggins posted:

FCG is our club here in Michigan. We play a ton of different games and blog and shoot video battle reports for them. Mostly professional 30s age dudes some with kids. We started HH at AdeptiCon because a lot of us are dissatisfied with 40k right now and hate money

Your club looks great. We have a fairly healthy group here in Washington/Oregon, but we scew toward married late 20s assholes with pets and an occasional child. We hate money, ourselves, and aren't happy with 40k. I'm scared to start recording our games because of the amount of trash talking.

Your lightning will do justice against some of those armored lists. Or you can ally in admech and take a squadron of Krios tanks. You play EC, right? That's a good army to run the hidden blade ROW. Just show up turn 2 with a bunch of reserves and pop tanks.

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Feb 25, 2016

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
Yeah honestly I don't get admech. Brainless dudes who are paid to clean armor and put bolts on stuff just doesn't really do it for me. The models have no visual appeal either, so I'll likely go with the primaris and then try to do some support squads or something

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Ok so I have a plan for a starter 30k army using nothing but Betrayal at Calth tactical squad kits from eBay. By my account I can use six kits to make this:

[Tactical Squad]
1x Legion Sergeant
19x Legion Space Marine

[Tactical Squad]
1x Legion Sergeant
19x Legion Space Marine

[Tactical Support Squad]
1x Legion Sergeant
4x Legion Space Marine w/ plasma gun

[Tactical Support Squad]
1x Legion Sergeant
4x Legion Space Marine w/ melta gun or flamer

[Heavy Support Squad]
1x Legion Sergeant
4x Legion Space Marine w/ missile launcher

[Heavy Support Squad]
1x Legion Sergeant
4x Legion Space Marine w/ heavy bolter

Is any of that going to be entirely useless? I know the second support squad are bit meh with flamers or meltas but those are the weapons that come in the box.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
The relics FW are talking about in the errata, is it only the standard ones available to all, or does it also include the legion specific ones like the photonic blade?

Also, forgive for I have sinned. I am contemplating a BA army.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

TTerrible posted:

Ok so I have a plan for a starter 30k army using nothing but Betrayal at Calth tactical squad kits from eBay. By my account I can use six kits to make this:
One thing to note: Heavy support squad sergeants also get heavy weapons. I know it doesn't say that in book I, but it got updated later.

I'll leave actual commentary to the 30k gurus, but I'd aim for two 20-man tactical squads and probably hold off on the support guys. The special weapon squads need transports to avoid getting shot off the table and you might be better off with a larger squad all with the same weapon. I have no idea about the heavy support squads. I've never been a big fan of stationary infantry.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Safety Factor posted:

One thing to note: Heavy support squad sergeants also get heavy weapons. I know it doesn't say that in book I, but it got updated later.

I'll leave actual commentary to the 30k gurus, but I'd aim for two 20-man tactical squads and probably hold off on the support guys. The special weapon squads need transports to avoid getting shot off the table and you might be better off with a larger squad all with the same weapon. I have no idea about the heavy support squads. I've never been a big fan of stationary infantry.

Ok cool, I'll have six of each heavy and special weapon so I can arm Sgts too. I've already got a Deimos rhino, Sicaran and Xiphon so I can give the support squad a rhino if need be. Maybe I could pickup one of the resin special weapon packs I guess and go for a full ten man plasma squad

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
If you give a lightning rad missiles can it still shoot the other types or do they replace the missile launcher entirely? The way it's worded in the book kinda seems like you could interpret it either way.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

TTerrible posted:

Ok cool, I'll have six of each heavy and special weapon so I can arm Sgts too. I've already got a Deimos rhino, Sicaran and Xiphon so I can give the support squad a rhino if need be. Maybe I could pickup one of the resin special weapon packs I guess and go for a full ten man plasma squad

As a core for your army? Looks great. You can make a lot of lists with those models. Depending on your legion of choice you can run different types of things. Support squads want to be in rhinos, deep struck, out flanked, or drop podded in. Apothecaries and some HQs won't hurt either.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

muggins posted:

Yeah honestly I don't get admech. Brainless dudes who are paid to clean armor and put bolts on stuff just doesn't really do it for me. The models have no visual appeal either, so I'll likely go with the primaris and then try to do some support squads or something

Don't diss the Taghmata, it's basically a forge world going "alright everyone, pack up all your weird poo poo - especially the stuff I know you think you've been keeping secret - and let's go kick some rear end".

For your armor problem, have you considered grav-fist contemptors? The new Cortus in particular are perfect at this job, and a single one in a pod can put some good hurt on a Spartan and make it ready for other elements to finish it off.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Nah, if I do 30k it'll probably be Blood Angels. I really liked Fear to Tread for some reason.

I want to convert the Mantic mummy models to be more egyptian, and I figure there were more 1k sons conversion parts over fantasy conversions.

Ah gotcha, well recasters will increasingly be your only option. Kind of insane that such good models are reduced to this.

Mango Polo fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Feb 26, 2016

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Remember grav weapons are essentially haywire guns which leave difficult terrain in HH. A trio of cortus dreads with twin graviton is actually quite a hefty threat for a not outrageous price (~400 pts) which can deal with a large degree of threats. Initative 5 or Rage can work wonders against CC oriented targets.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

DJ Dizzy posted:

The relics FW are talking about in the errata, is it only the standard ones available to all, or does it also include the legion specific ones like the photonic blade?

Also, forgive for I have sinned. I am contemplating a BA army.

It's talking about the relics from the campaign section in Book IV. I don't know what the Photonic Blade is but if it's in your Legiones Astartes section you can take it. If not, you can't (outside of a campaign or certain narrative event or asking your friends very nicely).

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

BULBASAUR posted:

As a core for your army? Looks great. You can make a lot of lists with those models. Depending on your legion of choice you can run different types of things. Support squads want to be in rhinos, deep struck, out flanked, or drop podded in. Apothecaries and some HQs won't hurt either.

Yeah this is just a core to get things rolling really. I'm going to run Imperial Fists. I'm still figuring out what the HQs are, I think I'm going to go with a centurion or something to start with. The 1-3 apothecary unit is a good plan, but I'm wary of spending too many points on the troops blobs.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
It depends on your meta, really. The game swings in one direction or the other. All troops all the time was how it started, now it's mostly armored, which now opens the door for infantry heavy lists again. Then again, that's what people write online and that means nothing compared to your own group.

Lord Twisted posted:

Remember grav weapons are essentially haywire guns which leave difficult terrain in HH. A trio of cortus dreads with twin graviton is actually quite a hefty threat for a not outrageous price (~400 pts) which can deal with a large degree of threats. Initative 5 or Rage can work wonders against CC oriented targets.

Yup, and since each one counts as a separate piece of dangerous terrain it's one test for each plate.

I always wanted to run a support squad with grav guns (IH rules), but the lack of relentless makes it not so great. Back when cataphracti armor conferred slow and purposeful it would have made for one hell of a spartan/knight popper.

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Feb 26, 2016

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
So I ordered the lightning fighter... I have emperor's Children right now and I am planning a night lords force as well. Can I paint this thing in a neutral imperial air force look so I can use it with both in hh?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

muggins posted:

So I ordered the lightning fighter... I have emperor's Children right now and I am planning a night lords force as well. Can I paint this thing in a neutral imperial air force look so I can use it with both in hh?

They're both traitors and it's just one unit. I'd say just paint it up in whatever scheme you'd prefer and when using the other army say it's on loan or stolen or a gift or whatever.

Or go all-in for Shattered Legions. One of the 30k nerds in my local tabletop community is putting together a Shattered Legions list combining Death Guard, Salamanders, and Imperial Fists as a loyalist force.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
I know there's a picture of an Iron Warriors guy in Retribution, but is there any Emperor's Children?

btw the IW dude looks great

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Do we know what FW are planning post book 7?

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

DJ Dizzy posted:

Gonna take through 2035 to get to Siege of Terra.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

DJ Dizzy posted:

Probably Signus Prime to cover BA and Daemons, and stuff to cover the Dark Angels and White Scars.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Give me my Dark Angels-specific units, Forge World. :argh: And actual legion rules instead of a placeholder.

There's a single-page-panel-thing about a Dark Angel terminator in the new book. He has some sweet custom shoulderpads. I hope those get produced at some point. Besides, I'm going to need more for the magnetization I want to do with my plastic cataphractii.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Cythereal posted:

They're both traitors and it's just one unit. I'd say just paint it up in whatever scheme you'd prefer and when using the other army say it's on loan or stolen or a gift or whatever.

Yeah that's what I was thinking too. I'll probably just paint it up in EC as that's my main force.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

Safety Factor posted:

Give me my Dark Angels-specific units, Forge World. :argh:

Agreed! I'm dying to see what we get. Same with the rules for the Lion. Do we know that the legion rules are going to change much?

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

DO IT TO IT posted:

Agreed! I'm dying to see what we get. Same with the rules for the Lion. Do we know that the legion rules are going to change much?

Probably not. I'd except clarifications and some clean up, e.g. better writing on what can take stasis grenades and massively reduced access to assault cannons, rather than big changes.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

DO IT TO IT posted:

Sword brothers with any traitor legion

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Seems like Forge World is active again on Facebook.

With a cute picture

So I guess the new CEO is reversing the company's anti social media policy.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Mango Polo posted:

So I guess the new CEO is reversing the company's anti social media policy.

Now if only he would reverse their anti-good game policy.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

DJ Dizzy posted:

Now if only he would reverse their anti-good game policy.

Baby steps.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

I got a reply from FW regarding rear end cannons.

Thank you for your email. I assume that you are referring to the Prototype Weapons - Iliastus Pattern Assault Cannon rules on page 259 of HH book 6. It states in there that any Blood angel Model (including vehicles) equipped with a Heavy Flamer may exchange them for an Iliastus Pattern Assault Cannon for +5 points. So, you could mount one on a pintle mount on a rhino. Technically you could mount one in a CCW for a dreadnought according to the rules, but i would expect that to be amended in an errata as that's not what it was designed for.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
I think someone just forgot about how many things can actually take a heavy flamer, the proverbial "It sounded like a good idea at the time"

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Still no response about the Dark Angels' stasis grenades. :smith:

I legitimately want to use one in a big terminator squad so they can style on some WS3 punks for a round. They can't claim that dumb sword bonus with powerfists or axes. Just let me stick stasis grenades into combi-weapons.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

DJ Dizzy posted:

I got a reply from FW regarding rear end cannons.

Thank you for your email. I assume that you are referring to the Prototype Weapons - Iliastus Pattern Assault Cannon rules on page 259 of HH book 6. It states in there that any Blood angel Model (including vehicles) equipped with a Heavy Flamer may exchange them for an Iliastus Pattern Assault Cannon for +5 points. So, you could mount one on a pintle mount on a rhino. Technically you could mount one in a CCW for a dreadnought according to the rules, but i would expect that to be amended in an errata as that's not what it was designed for.

Quad-mount Iliastus Predators are still a go!

There's still that entirely theoretical balance of BAs not being allowed more vehicles than infantry units in a force (aside from dedicated transports) but c'mon, even two tactical squads is two predators and an HQ choice seems to count so you can fill all three slots of a predator pick just with the mandatory selection. And pintle-mount a couple of rhinos, not that I think it's a fantastic idea to almost double the cost of something that will die fast.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

Plus they come in squadrons and I think the wording is units, so your HQ and 2 troops give you up to 9 predators.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

How would you guys go about making a praetor on a jetbike? I'm thinking of a robe, sammael-style, but haved looked at that model he seems too funky for my tastes.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
I've taken this guy from my Codex marines army -

And I'm working on him... he's going to have a lava base and a large banner in his off hand, so thats why its posed that way!

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

I'm looking to get a good airbrush setup, but I know nothing about them- I'm looking for suggestions on what I'd need.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

OhDearGodNo posted:

I'm looking to get a good airbrush setup, but I know nothing about them- I'm looking for suggestions on what I'd need.

Krushgroove / The mini painting thread to the rescue! :science:

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Praetor: paragon blade (master-crafted); melta bombs; digital lasers; iron halo; Scimitar Jetbike 230

14 Tactical Space Marines: chainswords; legion vexilla; + 1 Tactical Sergeant 240
14 Tactical Space Marines: chainswords; legion vexilla; + 1 Tactical Sergeant 240

Apothecarion Detachment
Apothecary: artificer armour; augury scanner 60
Apothecary: artificer armour; augury scanner 60
Contemptor Mortis Dreadnought: 2 Kheres pattern assault cannons 180

3 Jetbike Sky Hunters: volkite culverin; melta bombs; Sky Hunter Sergeant (power weapon) 185
4 Dark Furies: + 1 Chooser of the Slain 175
Land Speeder Squadron
Land Speeder: multi-melta; graviton gun 75

Corvus Corax 450

Force Commander: iron halo; carapace armour; melta bombs; cyber-familiar; Warrior Elite; Survivors of the Dark Age 210

17 Grenadiers: lasrifles; + 1 Grenadier Sergeant;
+ 1 Special Weapons Grenadier (plasma gun);
+ 1 Special Weapons Grenadier (plasma gun); Advanced Weapons 170
17 Grenadiers: lasrifles; + 1 Grenadier Sergeant;
+ 1 Special Weapons Grenadier (plasma gun);
+ 1 Special Weapons Grenadier (plasma gun); Advanced Weapons 170

3 Medicae Orderlies 40

3 Auxilia Sentinels: 3× lascannon 120

Militia Auxiliary Battle Tank Attack Squadron
Leman Russ Vanquisher: lascannon 165

2.995 points

Thoughts? Im using the Liberation Army RoW.

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

Finishing up the Blood Angels Leviathan Dreadnought. Waiting for the base to get here still...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Righteous, brother.