Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

drunken officeparty posted:

Why would you ever not choose the cat

Is there a way to choose what color cat because I have a black cat in real life so that is the color I want And because somebody asked earlier I will be naming my cat Kitty because my cat in real life is named Kitty because she's my first cat and I have no experience in naming cats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

So is there a point to talking to villagers? Will their relationship eventually go up if you just chat or do I just keep pumping them full of items?

Also I got an event to adopt a stray cat, will I get that if I chose dog as my pet preference? I can't remember what I chose when I made my guy and if I have to restart him to get a dog that's going to bum me out.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
Well hitting Control Alt Delete gets rid of the graphics issues for reasons I don't understand. Hopefully they fix the issue for my lovely integrated graphics card.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
if you really want to poopsock fieldclearing just forage salmonberries, I got about 30 in a day's time and they restore 25 energy each

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Why would you ever not choose the cat

I have a cat in real life, but I'm still more partial to dogs.

Spoiler for the mines (I guess). I'm not sure if the mines are randomly generated, so I'm not sure if this floor number will be correct, but at level 14 or so, there are a lot of those kamikaze-like flies. You'll meet one on just about every floor past level 10, but for some reason they're all over level 14.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
How do smelt ore into bars? Not seeing an option for it at the blacksmith, is it something that needs unlocked by story?

EDIT: Nevermind.

Evrart Claire fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Feb 27, 2016

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

J.A.B.C. posted:

I have a cat in real life, but I'm still more partial to dogs.

Spoiler for the mines (I guess). I'm not sure if the mines are randomly generated, so I'm not sure if this floor number will be correct, but at level 14 or so, there are a lot of those kamikaze-like flies. You'll meet one on just about every floor past level 10, but for some reason they're all over level 14.

You can run into "infested" floors every now and then that contains a lot of enemies. Early on that means tons of those flies. Also, there is a random event that can happen after a while that turns the screen green, and continuously spawns those flies until it goes away.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Game is good

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Pro as gently caress mine tip;

Those boxes and barrels? You can bash them open.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Go for those fishing chests, guys.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Broken Cog posted:

You can run into "infested" floors every now and then that contains a lot of enemies. Early on that means tons of those flies. Also, there is a random event that can happen after a while that turns the screen green, and continuously spawns those flies until it goes away.

That's exactly what I ran into! Thank you for the info! =D

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Zerilan posted:

How do smelt ore into bars? Not seeing an option for it at the blacksmith, is it something that needs unlocked by story?
The blacksmith will give you the blueprint for a forge around day 10, I think. It takes 5 ore and 5 coal to smelt bars.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Am I not supposed to just be waking up, watering plants, then immediately going back to sleep so I can grow things faster and get money

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Water plants and then go to the mine to get stuff so you can upgrade your tools so you can farm more better.

edgeman83
Jul 13, 2003
So after experimenting a bit, it seems like if you level up when you go to sleep it doesn't save. I think it also doesn't save if you pass out(which at least makes sense).

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Oh poo poo, I can be a fuckin Beer Baron? This game...

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Am I not supposed to just be waking up, watering plants, then immediately going back to sleep so I can grow things faster and get money

Energy management is a bit iffy at first, until you get copper tools that let you hit 3 tiles at once. Here's a few tips on how to be more efficient.

Start off with fast crops, plant them in 3x3 plots and water them individually, don't do more than 2 plots at once, use the rest of your time to get some wood and stone stockpiled. Go talk to people, you will build up friendship if you talk to them at least once per week, faster if you give them gifts. There are a few unlocks early on that are dependent on these but an important one is the mayor who unlocks the community center. Early on you will get access to the mine and the blacksmith will give you the plans for a smelter. You want to go into the mine on days you don't have too much to do at the farm and get copper. 5 copper and 1 coal makes a bar, 5 bars and 2000g will upgrade your tool. Get the water can ASAP because it will vastly improve your ability to farm when you can water in a line of 3 tiles for one action.

Around level 30 in the mine you start getting iron. This can be used to make sprinklers which water 4 tiles to each of it's facing sides (not a 3x3 plot). I use these for plants that come with supports which you can't walk over, it makes for some nice looking grape growing areas. Once you have a few copper tools you should look into getting a chicken coop, remember to buy lots of hay and don't get too many chicks at once because you can't farm hay without a silo.

Edit: Foraging is super efficient early on because it doesn't cost you energy to do. You can scythe tall grass for a chance at seeds sometimes as well. Fishing is slow at first but picks up quickly and you can make 1-300g off a single fish when you get the upgraded pole with bait.

Demiurge4 fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Feb 27, 2016

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
I like fishing

Someone needs to crack the file and see what the stats are.
Seems like if you get a perfect throw, it adds a 25% chance to get a Gold-Star fish. Then if you get a perfect catch, it adds another 25% maybe? And then whatever the fishing pole and skill add.

Delaio
Jul 14, 2012

I'm assuming to get iron I just need to go deeper in the mine? I want to make a beehive.

heenato
Oct 26, 2010

We wish to communicate with you!
So will I eventually get the ability to move at more than the trundle I currently have? Because the run speed is really bad.

Eodoin
Dec 3, 2014

Thor-Stryker posted:

I like fishing

Seems like if you get a perfect throw, it adds a 25% chance to get a Gold-Star fish. Then if you get a perfect catch, it adds another 25% maybe? And then whatever the fishing pole and skill add.

There is also the water rippling spots. If I hit that exact spot I tend to get better fish.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

Revol posted:

I get what you're saying, many games have overly harsh fatigue systems. But without it, a game like this becomes broken. After playing four days, so far it feels right. Like Joestar says, you're really only supposed to clear out the area you need, or to gather the wood/stone/etc you need. It is something to be whittled away day by day.

The way I always played BTN was to devote the first several days to clearing as much of the field as I could before getting burned out on it. Then I'd use the materials to set poo poo up and plan it out. But, BTN has a much smaller farm area. I'm still planning on taking down a ton of this poo poo right off the bat. Messy farm bugs me, man.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

heenato posted:

So will I eventually get the ability to move at more than the trundle I currently have? Because the run speed is really bad.

we get a horse yo

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
The run speed would feel a million times better if diagonals were normal speed, or even 75% instead of half. It's game-projectile math: things that move at realistically-split speeds over diagonals feel really slow, so you're supposed to just fake it and let it move at the normal pace.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Goddamn the pixel graphics in this game are fantastic.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
is the pet(s) get event random or is there a trigger

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Lord Lambeth posted:

Goddamn the pixel graphics in this game are fantastic.

It's good. Wouldn't say fantastic. Maybe fantastic for a guy whose skill isn't in pixel graphics.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
How do gates work? I put them down and they just look like a post. I put 3 adjacent to each other and they still look like posts.

willing to settle
Apr 13, 2011
How the heck do you unlock the community center? The streamers I saw seemed to get it just a couple of days in, but I'm on day 10 and no luck. Have two hearts with the mayor, if that's at all relevant.

Also: do not assume that buying the wooden blade at the adventurer's guild means you can just sell back your crappy rusty sword immediately, if you haven't leveled up your combat skill yet. This is an A+ bad idea.

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

I'm enjoying the game but I think I might wait a couple days or a week in the hopes of the movement speed being increased a bit. It's really a turnoff.

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

I'm bad at Journey of the Prairie King.

Magnitogorsk.
Nov 14, 2004

Global warming is barely a big deal at all compared to the trajectory we used to be on. We'll have to do a lot of environmental engineering projects along certain shorelines and it will be a little warmer and wetter in some places, big fucking deal.
So I got to day 10 and now it crashes every time I sleep. I guess it was fun while it lasted

edit: After some trial and error it seems like it was because I was naming my dog Gus, and I guess because there's an NPC called that it bugs out and blows up

Magnitogorsk. fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Feb 27, 2016

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Thor-Stryker posted:

I like fishing

Here's the Fish.xml file under Data:
http://pastebin.com/NXHPGyyk

Looks like you can get an idea of what tackle to use, what location, what weather, and what season might work for each fish. Doesn't indicate anything about chances for gold stars or mention anything about fishing poles.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Shirec posted:

I'm super bad at fishing. Like 50% success rate. Is anyone else using a mouse and keyboard having problems or do I just need to get good?

This was me.
  • The sweet spot has a lot of momentum, you need to be very light on that mouse button.
  • Gets easier with your first skill level, and that soup Willy sells.
  • I believe better rods have bigger sweet spots that help.

I'm doing a lot better with the second point there, enough to cover the cost of the soup. Though I still find it fairly tough.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
How do you cook stuff? Do you need to upgrade your house first, or am I just dumb? I bought a recipe for hashbrowns but can't figure out how to craft them.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.
I'll eat my firstborn chick if those statues around town and the wilderness don't end up teleporting you around when you progress in the story enough.

Monowhatever
Mar 19, 2010

grrarg posted:

How do you cook stuff? Do you need to upgrade your house first, or am I just dumb? I bought a recipe for hashbrowns but can't figure out how to craft them.

yeah you need the first house upgrade, which also comes with a fridge to store anything you wanna cook later

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

No tutorial is the biggest problem with the game I see so far. Maybe I skipped it when skipping intro videos? But it just kind of thrusts you in without explaining anything at all.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Broken Cog posted:

Anyone know where you can catch Eels? I know it's a night fish, but I think it's still area dependent.

Unless I have gotten extremely unlucky not the ocean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

No tutorial is the biggest problem with the game I see so far. Maybe I skipped it when skipping intro videos? But it just kind of thrusts you in without explaining anything at all.

The game almost certainly assumes you have played any number of the previous Harvest Moon games, all of which laboriously string you through tutorials for the first in-game week or so.