Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Despera posted:

Vulture capitalist worked on someone much less vile

Well, it helps Romney was actually a vulture capitalist, you know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Majorian posted:

I mean, actually I do - not as much as they do, certainly, but as we know, opinion writers don't have to have a very good track record to be well-paid.

Also holy poo poo are you for real?

Holy poo poo a ton of people whose job it is to know vs sa goon.

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer

Despera posted:

Vulture capitalist worked on someone much less vile

That last point is debatable.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

sharkbomb posted:

I still remember the Jeb Bush video that I saw in October 2015 that inspired me to join PredictIt and bet against him: Jeb on Fantasy Football

Lol

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

InsanityIsCrazy posted:

keep on keepin on, brother

Seriously, did you actually think Ben Carson or John Kasich were going to be the nominee?

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

sharkbomb posted:

You're totally right-- I just can't believe that all of Jeb's donors committed SO MUCH for SO LONG to his campaign. I have a theory that the entire Bush political clan actually decided to cash out on Citizens United and all of Jeb's superPAC money was funneled through connected consultants and media companies. Don't pity Jeb, the dude probably made a fortune scamming the Republican party. He and Columba Bush are floating around on a yacht right now, smoking mad weed and listening to Steppenwolf

I still remember the Jeb Bush video that I saw in October 2015 that inspired me to join PredictIt and bet against him: Jeb on Fantasy Football
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bf0QYfidTWI

"Team Name? Gampy Sr! Gampy's the name... that's my name as a grandfather."

Jeb actually believed he was going to win the nomination. There were a lot of smart people who believed we were well on our way to a Jeb/Hillary showdown. There's no conspiracy here, the Republican party is in complete disarray.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Despera posted:

Holy poo poo a ton of people whose job it is to know vs sa goon.

You're citing Bill Kristol as an authority.

Bill freaking Kristol.

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
I remember listening to Slate Political Gabfest, which leans heavily liberal, and listening to David Plotz and John Dickerson make the case that, indeed, this is the strongest Republican field in a long time. I think that was BT (Before Trump), after which everything changed.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
I'm just accepting it as a certainty that when Donald Trump has 1236 of the 1237 delegates needed to win the nomination the fine members of the political punditry will still be spewing out dozens of articles every day on how if Rubio gets 100% of the remaining votes HE CAN STILL WIN THIS.

Matt Taibbi gets it http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/how-america-made-donald-trump-unstoppable-20160224?page=7

quote:

It's simple transitive-property rhetoric, and it works. The press went gaga for Rubio after Iowa because – why? Because he's an unthreatening, blow-dried, cliché-spouting, dial-surveying phony of the type campaign journalists always approve of.

And when Rubio gets exposed in the debate as a talking haircut, a political Speak n' Spell, suddenly the throng of journalists who spent the past two weeks trying to sell America on "Marcomentum" and the all-important "establishment lane" looks very guilty indeed. Voters were supposed to take this seriously?

Trump knows the public sees through all of this, grasps the press's role in it and rightly hates us all. When so many Trump supporters point to his stomping of the carpetbagging snobs in the national media as the main reason they're going to vote for him, it should tell us in the press something profound about how much people think we suck.

Subvisual Haze fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Feb 27, 2016

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Majorian posted:

You're citing Bill Kristol as an authority.

Bill freaking Kristol.

Among like 20 others

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Despera posted:

They get paid for their opinions, do you?

drat this is a flaming hot take

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer

Majorian posted:

Seriously, did you actually think Ben Carson or John Kasich were going to be the nominee?

If it's good enough for Nate Silver...

quote:

natesilver: So, Harry. Who is more likely to be the Republican nominee, Ben Carson or Donald Trump?

micah: Good question! No hedging, Harry

hjenten-heynawl: Ben Carson, and I’m not sure there is much doubt in my mind. Reasons include:

He’s better-liked by Republican voters, at least at this point.
He’s better-liked by party actors. He has a much more presidential demeanor than Trump. He also happens to be African-American at a time the GOP wants to reach out to black voters.

This isn’t to say he is anything more than a long shot, but he’s a trip to the West Coast while Trump is a trip to the moon.

micah: And, Nate, how would you answer your own question?

natesilver: Hold on — I’ve gotta take a phone call here …

micah: We’ll wait …

natesilver: [crickets]

micah: Coward.

natesilver: I guess I’d put each of their chances at about 5 percent.

micah: Interesting. You don’t buy Harry’s argument? Or his West Coast/moon metaphor?

natesilver: Obviously, Carson has much higher favorables. He also has policy positions that are much more in line with the GOP mainstream. So, you can imagine a universe in which GOP elites grudgingly tolerate Carson, even if he’s not their first (or second or third or sixth) choice, whereas they’ll do everything in their power to make sure that Trump is not the nominee.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/if-donald-trump-can-win-the-nomination-ben-carson-could-too/

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost
The TDS is back in full swing I see. We are privileged to be witnessing one of the great political upsets of our age.

And that wall is going to be beautiful. It's going to be great when—after a seemingly endless chorus of idiots droning on about how it's impossible, won't work, can't work, will cost too much, and whatever else—we see it stretch out through the desert.

And then the people will ask themselves, what else that we've been told is impossible can be achieved?

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.
[It will be interesting to see how Trump does in a GE. Up until this point, his base of working-class white men has been his consistent base, but if he can't expand beyond that, it's difficult to see how he could win a GE. Even if he were to win, is there any hope if he's playing to a crowd that will be increasingly marginalized?

The GOP has long recognized that continued strength can only be gotten through increasing outreach. Even if Trump wins, I don't see how his supporters restructure American politics without either changing to broaden their appeal or a race war (what percentage of Trump supporters have read The Turner Diaries, I wonder?)

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

Majorian posted:

Ben Carson continually received way more votes than he shouldve, yet he has no platform and, apparently, narcolepsy

it's not a question of how lovely the candidates were, it's a question of how many blithering idiots will vote for them

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
One popular swing state governor is considered a strong candidate much less three

Lyapunov Unstable
Nov 20, 2011

Montasque posted:

Hillary's new line on Trump is that he used to be "such a nice guy."

The general is going to be loving awesome.
Nice, she's going to frame him as an insecure creeper/wifebeater

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
Hey guys, did you hear? Being paid to do a thing means you are good at that thing. poo poo's loving unreal

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

Lyapunov Unstable posted:

Nice, she's going to frame him as an insecure creeper/wifebeater

Trump wears a Bill Clinton mask to his next rally and says "Why Yes, I am a creeper and wifebeater!"

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost

Democrazy posted:

[It will be interesting to see how Trump does in a GE. Up until this point, his base of working-class white men has been his consistent base, but if he can't expand beyond that, it's difficult to see how he could win a GE. Even if he were to win, is there any hope if he's playing to a crowd that will be increasingly marginalized?

The GOP has long recognized that continued strength can only be gotten through increasing outreach. Even if Trump wins, I don't see how his supporters restructure American politics without either changing to broaden their appeal or a race war (what percentage of Trump supporters have read The Turner Diaries, I wonder?)

You do realize that Romney would have won with like 3% more of the white vote, right?

Edit: The GOP "establishment" position is what you lay out, try to convince various flavors of brown people that they want to vote Republican. The Trump position is to convince Americans they should vote American, and any citizen is welcome. I think it's pretty obvious which of these is a better general election strategy.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

User posted:

And then the people will ask themselves, what else that we've been told is impossible can be achieved?

Moon base! Manned mission to Mars!

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

InsanityIsCrazy posted:

Ben Carson continually received way more votes than he shouldve, yet he has no platform and, apparently, narcolepsy

it's not a question of how lovely the candidates were, it's a question of how many blithering idiots will vote for them

This is all true, but it just reinforces my belief that Trump stumbled into exactly what those blithering idiots wanted to hear.

Lyapunov Unstable
Nov 20, 2011

InsanityIsCrazy posted:

Trump wears a Bill Clinton mask to his next rally and says "Why Yes, I am a creeper and wifebeater!"
framing is a big word I know but it's ok

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

Lyapunov Unstable posted:

framing is a big word I know but it's ok

:qq:

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost

Brannock posted:

Moon base! Manned mission to Mars!

No poo poo dead serious we need to get back into space for real, but first we need to get our own house in order. Political Correctness didn't get us to the Moon.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Despera posted:

Among like 20 others

Most of whom have as bad a record as Kristol does. Almost everybody you cited is extremely bad at their job.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Lotka Volterra posted:

Hey guys, did you hear? Being paid to do a thing means you are good at that thing. poo poo's loving unreal

If a lot of poeple who are paid to figure out this exact thing think so their opinion is worth more than the goon take on the conservative field.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

User posted:

No poo poo dead serious we need to get back into space for real, but first we need to get our own house in order. Political Correctness didn't get us to the Moon.

"Political correctness" = not treating other people like poo poo for no reason other than that you really, really want to say the n-word.

Despera posted:

If a lot of poeple who are paid to figure out this exact thing think so their opinion is worth more than the goon take on the conservative field.

Please stop, I can't breath.:cawg:

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

Majorian posted:

This is all true, but it just reinforces my belief that Trump stumbled into exactly what those blithering idiots wanted to hear.

whaddya mean stumbled

hes been a television personality for decades

he knew what "Real Americans" have been freaking out about for years

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
This was one of the "strongest" Republican fields in decades.

That's what makes this so loving funny.

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer

User posted:

Perfidiously, Newt Gingrich was the most well-equipped candidate to address both of these issues, yet the electorate widely rejected him.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

InsanityIsCrazy posted:

whaddya mean stumbled

hes been a television personality for decades

he knew what "Real Americans" have been freaking out about for years

I don't think that's true. He's been stumbling between his political positions like a drunk between bars for the past twenty years.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Despera posted:

Their opinion is worth precisely poo poo, as it was a bad one held by idiots

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost

Majorian posted:

"Political correctness" = not treating other people like poo poo for no reason other than that you really, really want to say the n-word.

It looks like you don't know what Recorde's famous symbol means.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Majorian posted:

Please stop, I can't breath.:cawg:

Oh man you guys are so convincing

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Majorian posted:

I mean, actually I do - not as much as they do, certainly, but as we know, opinion writers don't have to have a very good track record to be well-paid.

Also holy poo poo are you for real?

Why should anyone in the Republican primary thread listen to Nancy Pelosi's ideal constituent, you napa valley winemaker?

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Despera posted:

A lot of these same morons spent months talking about how Romney was a sure bet to win against Obama when all of the polling and evidence said otherwise.

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost
I do love that the only pundit worth a poo poo this cycle is a cartoonist.

Edit: I don't consider Sundance a pundit.

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬

Despera posted:

blind leading the blind in this post-trump primary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Majorian posted:

Keep pretending that.

• Locked thread