Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

Empress Theonora posted:

I haven't played GW2 in like a million years, but I'm suddenly in the mood to level a new character in it, since I remember just running around the leveling zones and doing stuff being super relaxing and fun. I can't decide what class to play, though! The classes that appeal to me aesthetically the most are the elementalist or the mesmer, but I remember them being really fiddly and difficult to play. Is that still the case, or have things changed since... like... 2012 or whenever it was I last tried them.

I guess it depends on whether you want to do a lot of mouse/keyboard work. I love rocking around the lower maps doing completions and stuff. Necromancer and some extent ranger is good for standing back and letting minions/pets tank stuff. I doubt my necro has died once in a lower level map. Necro holy poo poo... it eats everything like candy.

The others I guess also depend on the weapons. Elementalist can hover back with a staff or get up close with daggers, holy poo poo ele-daggers is goddamned fun but yeah you're dodging and running around a lot, likewise for thief if you're like me and stink you can also use ranged for thief and hang back more.

Lets see... warrior is tanky but I don't find terribly interesting to play to be honest, guardian is very similar to me but more interesting and useful in a group. UH... what else, I have one of each so uh... mmmm, oh yeh mesmer - I find can be powerful but yes I do find the mesmer quite fiddly - I think mainly because the AI seems to ignore clones and go for your own character unless you get them far enough away.

Look at me with my opinions!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
They're more difficult than eg. warrior or bear ranger, but it's not too bad. They changed the newbie experience and the trait system in the meantime so you don't have to wait till level 60 for the best traits any longer (and you luckily skipped the part when you had to unlock every drat trait by doing map completion/specific events/etc.). Ele still takes pushing a lot of buttons if you want to be ~perfect~, but you can be effective enough if you go staff and stay in fire attunement 80% of the time while leveling.

knowonecanknow
Apr 19, 2009

Ambition must be made to counteract ambition.
If you don't want to die a lot with a squishy class I'd recommend a set of Superior Golemancy Runes. That free golem practically every time you get hit is nice for world completion.

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

Alteisen posted:

Chak require at a bare minimum a hugely organized instance

Chak gerent takes 4 people tagging up 5 minutes before the event and several people taxiing others in. That's about as difficult as Teq. Quit being melodramatic.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Sounds like they're still pretty fiddly! I might just make a necromancer because they're still a caster class, but of mesmer and elementalist, which one is easier to pick up? I got further with elementalist back in the day, but like I said before that was literally like four years ago so I can't remember anything about it and everything's probably changed anyway.

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo

Empress Theonora posted:

Sounds like they're still pretty fiddly! I might just make a necromancer because they're still a caster class, but of mesmer and elementalist, which one is easier to pick up? I got further with elementalist back in the day, but like I said before that was literally like four years ago so I can't remember anything about it and everything's probably changed anyway.

I'm sure experiences will vary but even though I enjoyed my mesmer most once I maxed it out I really, really disliked the leveling part of it.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Empress Theonora posted:

I have bad news for you if you PvE...

For real though any of those three are good. Elementalist is either super easy to play (staff) or kind of fiddly and really rotation-based (dagger) but good all around. Mesmer isn't nearly as complicated before because you'll start most fights with the same opener and after that most of your damage comes from auto-attacks and phantasms. The new mesmer mechanic is really cool if you get HoT. Necro is a powerhouse now but plays more like a melee class if you go for Reaper.

ItBurns fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Feb 26, 2016

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
By "caster class" I mean they wear cool cloth armor. :v: (and thematically they're spellcasters.)

2MB
Feb 3, 2009

"No need to speak. Your fists told me everything I need to know about you."
I played my elementalist the most out of my characters and found it to be fun no matter what I was doing. You can always roll around with the Elemental elite and have the earth elemental tank any problems you run into. Granted, you have to wait until 31 to get it but the class is still great fun to play until then.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Elementalist is also really fun because it's a great swiss army knife class.

Generally Fire is Power + Condition damage (ie direct damage and damage over time), Air is Power damage and some crowd control, water is healing and some crowd control, and Earth is some Condition damage and some defensive buffs and/or crowd control. Being able to shift your focus appropriately by changing your attunement is awesome.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

I think I might as well give elementalist a try. If I hate it, I can just roll a necromancer or something instead and do a different starting zone. :v:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

play anything, level everything, hail satan

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Empress Theonora posted:

I think I might as well give elementalist a try. If I hate it, I can just roll a necromancer or something instead and do a different starting zone. :v:

On one hand, the DPS rotations for PvE for both Staff and Dagger/x Elementalist are pretty easy. Both use Fire, fill out that line first, then fill out Air.

On the other hand, Mesmer is by far the most pretty pretty princess class in terms of cloth armor.

NapoleonAtWaterloo
Jun 28, 2008

AnacondaHL posted:

On one hand, the DPS rotations for PvE for both Staff and Dagger/x Elementalist are pretty easy. Both use Fire, fill out that line first, then fill out Air.

On the other hand, Mesmer is by far the most pretty pretty princess class in terms of cloth armor.

:confused: They can wear the same armor.

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

Magnets are my only weakness.
But there's more of you! :buddy:

Also butterflies

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.
Mesmers can equip Twilight though. Or other greatswords like the katana.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
Power Rev is an above average class with regard to its effectiveness in PvP.

penofguino
Aug 8, 2015
I found support elementalist to be the easiest class to run. **spams auras when green bars move**

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

ItBurns posted:

Power Rev is an above average class with regard to its effectiveness in PvP.

Seems legit.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

shrach posted:

Seems legit.

what the hell is this? is that an in game menu?

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

If you're serious - scroll down your main PvP tab

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Kessel posted:

If you're serious - scroll down your main PvP tab

nilgoow doesn't actually play GW2, he just feeds off forums energy all day thanks to lowtax

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
I am ddosing the forums with my child like sense of wonder

treizebee
Dec 30, 2011

Stage 3 oil injection

Keep up the good work, my street cred has never been higher.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.
Can I avoid the convoluted SFD joining process if somebody from the GOON guild vouches me?

NapoleonAtWaterloo
Jun 28, 2008

Kontradaz posted:

Can I avoid the convoluted SFD joining process if somebody from the GOON guild vouches me?

We have some real idiots in our guild, so if they can figure it out I believe in you.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

shrach posted:

Seems legit.

to be fair that applies to any class if your opponents are garbage

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Kontradaz posted:

What's convoluted about it :psyduck:

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
The strip search was more invasive than I expected

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

shrach posted:

Seems legit.

Dreggon posted:

same

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
how yall get the motivation to switch characters between matches? I just slam out like 15 in a row with one class

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
how yall get the motivation to pvp? I just slam out like 9 gathering runs of flax

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes
you better heed his Quall

Kontradaz posted:

You've already proven you can make a forum post, and that's basically all there is to it.

Aug 24, 2011

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

how yall get the motivation to switch characters between matches? I just slam out like 15 in a row with one class

i actually just do the two dailies every day, plus a third cos theres another daily

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Is there a trick to find teammates who don't lose 3v1s?

edit: i mean, i want competent people who can somehow manage to survive when they outnumber the enemy, i don't need a proleague player to beat 3 dudes at once.

Aug 24, 2011

MooCowlian posted:

Is there a trick to find teammates who don't lose 3v1s?

edit: i mean, i want competent people who can somehow manage to survive when they outnumber the enemy, i don't need a proleague player to beat 3 dudes at once.

too bad because thats totally what i do

Aug 24, 2011

i've been cursed with good teams for the last week, there's no challenge to it :(

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Kontradaz posted:

If that really seems convoluted to you, I'd really rather you didn't join.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Dreggon posted:

i've been cursed with good teams for the last week, there's no challenge to it :(

You need to queue with me more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

Dreggon posted:

I'd like to say that the matchmaking is clearly perfect now. This is proven by winning ten in a row with a class I had never played in pvp before.

• Locked thread