Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Meanwhile in modularland, I made this. About three hours total, FWIW - sometimes it just comes together. :deadmau5:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

anyone have experience with the nord stage's synth library? i have an electro 3 and have been hemming and hawing about upgrading for a while now. the main reason would be so i can split between a few different sounds and gain the ability to have some synth leads once in a while. not really that interested in hardcore synth building, just want a couple solid lead and pad presets.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
I am involved in an after-school music education program for teens. It's an 8-week program where kids with no prior musical background are either put into rock bands (guitar/bass/drums/keys) or a (vinyl) DJ crew, and write a song or put together a short DJ set to perform at a showcase at the end of the program.

I am interested in adding an electronic music component to the program, and am looking for a sampler / drum machine of some sort as a way to teach the kids to make beats. The main priorities are:

1) Affordability. Looking to stay around $200-250 if I can.
2) Quick learning curve + fun factor. These are 13-14 year old kids with zero musical background and fleeting attention spans. They are really talented when they find something they are passionate about, but if I can't have them doing cool hands-on stuff on day 1, my feeling is it's unlikely to be successful.

It seems like the two best contenders are a used Electribe ES-1 or a used MPC-500. (A Volca Sample would be nearly perfect if there were a way to easily load samples onto it without an iOS device). I'm maybe leaning a little bit towards the ES-1 on account of the factory sample banks and the traditional 16-step sequencer (and I worry the MPC would be too much menu diving), but I'm curious to hear thoughts from people who are experienced with the workflow of either box. In either case, I'd be on hand to walk them through stuff in person, and would likely make up step-by-step cheat sheets for basic tasks.

Any other hardware I should consider?

h_double fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Feb 18, 2016

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.
Probably the Volca series.

breaks
May 12, 2001

Novation Circuit?

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Beaucoup Cuckoo posted:

Probably the Volca series.

I really want something where you can easily sample over an audio input, and as far as I know the Volca Sample doesn't have that ability.

Thanks for suggesting the Novation Circuit, that's one I hadn't considered (though I guess that doesn't have onboard sampling either)

h_double fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Feb 18, 2016

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Seeing the Roland SP-404 and Boss SP-505 for around $200-$250 on eBay with an included memory card.

I seem to remember MrLonghair here strongly preferring the workflow of that series above the mpc or something like that? I think they might have a built in microphone and everything.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
Hmm, I don't know a ton about the 404/505, I didn't think the pattern sequencer is that good but I will investigate some. Thanks!

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I still haven't figured out how to flip between sequences on the mpc 1000 for live play. I'm not sure if you can

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

A MIRACLE posted:

I still haven't figured out how to flip between sequences on the mpc 1000 for live play. I'm not sure if you can

Get JJOS, then just switch to the next sequence when one's running. It'll cue it up

idk how to do it without JJOS but there's probably a way but get JJOS anyway it's really good

e: http://www7a.biglobe.ne.jp/~mpc1000/

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I do have JJOS, I just suck at it

is there a way to jump around between different sequences like an ableton clip launcher view?

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

I've got a 2500 so it may be different but try the "NEXT SEQ" button by the pad bank select, it assigns sequences to the pads (16 per bank x 4 banks in order) and lets you cue from there.

I haven't played with it too much but it looks like it does the same thing as changing the sequence while playing, just with a better interface

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Okay sweet, thanks I'll try it and report back haha

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.
Maybe a microgranny.

Giant Enemy Cliche
Oct 10, 2012

"It was then that an ominous man stood beside me with a face of ill portent."
I've spent years joking about the Modular Synth Jam k-hole, but just recently I've been really tempted by the Mother 32. I kind of have this fantasy of just using it as a kind of expandable fixed architecture synth. Would it be a total waste of my time/money buying one and eventually just getting a small case and a few modules, or would I be better off just getting something like an MS 20?

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

Giant Enemy Cliche posted:

I've spent years joking about the Modular Synth Jam k-hole, but just recently I've been really tempted by the Mother 32. I kind of have this fantasy of just using it as a kind of expandable fixed architecture synth. Would it be a total waste of my time/money buying one and eventually just getting a small case and a few modules, or would I be better off just getting something like an MS 20?

Someone just posted a pretty good review of it on /r/synthesizers, it may help:

https://www.reddit.com/r/synthesizers/comments/46rfh6/why_im_selling_my_mother_32/

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

I got a Mom in October as soon as I could. Here it is right this second.

Let this be a warning to you.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Got two Mothers and I'm pretty sure it's my Eurorack gateway drug. On its own it's pretty good but I really want to start plugging other poo poo into it.

It's definitely a Moog sound, if you're looking for that.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
Guy opens up a Minilogue and takes a peek inside. Quite interesting if you like that sort of thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ra76YaZqjaI

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

Guy opens up a Minilogue and takes a peek inside. Quite interesting if you like that sort of thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ra76YaZqjaI

This is so my thing. :getin:

e: welp, I'm gonna be bingewatching this channel

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Feb 22, 2016

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

just getting a small case and a few modules

This is literally impossible to do and come out on the other side with something that will be satisfying in the long run, I feel. Speaking as someone who is relatively new to modular, but really enjoys it and will likely continue to invest in modules, I can say with certainty you at minimum will end up wanting a second Mother 32, and even then you'd need a couple of VCAs (and probably a good verb/delay, though not necessarily modular) to feel like you have a versatile setup. If you want something that will be satisfying to use, on it's own, right out of the box, I honestly don't think the Mom32 is it.

I love mine, and I'm glad I got it, but it came at the perfect time for me-- I had a small modular rig going already and it was a godsend in terms of what I was missing in my setup. It's not a synth that will stand well on its own, though.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Here's the lunchbox I currently have to accompany my M32. I also have a Demora which is great for its virtual modules even if I'm not terribly impressed with it as a delay yet. Also some Moogerfooger pedals. I'm using it mostly for Tangerine-Dream style sequences.

The 10 empty HP are either going to be a Blender and the STG mixer, or another Disting and an MI Shades.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
And now I'm kinda going back to wanting a Warps in that 10HP instead for mangling my other synths like the D-50. God dammit Eurorack.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Tayter, is it possible to get CV out of the Demora? I'm not getting consistent info.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Yes it is. The two outputs are DC coupled. Real nice being able to call up a spare ADSR or even dual AD when I need.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Crossposting from the Gear Trades thread:

Access Virus TI 2 Keyboard

It's finally time to admit the fact that I don't really play keys and as such have no need for a 61-key synthesizer occupying my desk space. Especially when I have other gear collecting dust that would be right at home on the desk. I'm in love with the Virus sound and TI plugin so I will definitely be downgrading to the keyboardless Desktop model - I would consider trading for one and a bit of cash. Comes with box, cables and manual. Mint condition, a little dusty.

$2200(CAD) OBO

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Mister Speaker posted:

occupying my desk space

Missed opportunity to use 'gathering dust'.

e: although you mention it in the next sentence, using it in the first along with the photo would have been perfect.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

got a real dumb question: if I have a patch area that normally takes TS patches, can I use TRS cables? Microbrute and MS-20 mini if it matters.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

JamesKPolk posted:

got a real dumb question: if I have a patch area that normally takes TS patches, can I use TRS cables? Microbrute and MS-20 mini if it matters.

Yes. You may lose significant signal though, depending on how the TS jacks are manufactured.

Bolange
Sep 27, 2012
College Slice

Mister Speaker posted:

Crossposting from the Gear Trades thread:

Access Virus TI 2 Keyboard

It's finally time to admit the fact that I don't really play keys and as such have no need for a 61-key synthesizer occupying my desk space. Especially when I have other gear collecting dust that would be right at home on the desk. I'm in love with the Virus sound and TI plugin so I will definitely be downgrading to the keyboardless Desktop model - I would consider trading for one and a bit of cash. Comes with box, cables and manual. Mint condition, a little dusty.

$2200(CAD) OBO

The keybed on this synth is dreamy as gently caress for an unweighted keyboard. I'd buy this from you if I didn't have one already :)

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

sofullofhate posted:

Yes. You may lose significant signal though, depending on how the TS jacks are manufactured.
Truth.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

"If I didn't start talking about immigration it wouldn't even be a subject right now."

Because republicans never talk about immigration during a primary.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

send all the mexicans to a lowpass filter, imo.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

sofullofhate posted:

ty, and shoot.

Though typing this out I thought of a better solution to the problem I was running in to - instead of using a long aux cable to get a midi synced LFO I'm gonna just send a click signal to the clock from something using a 1/4th to 1/8th cable I have sitting around.

Puppy Galaxy posted:

"If I didn't start talking about immigration it wouldn't even be a subject right now."

Would really love to hear the remaining candidates' opinions on acid/the best 303 clone.

Rubio's a TB-3 guy, Kasich is a Bassbot, TB-303 is either Cruz (biggest purist) or Trump (conspicuous consumption). Trump might be a Devilfish w/ extra LEDs.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Puppy Galaxy posted:

Speaking of immigration, my Minilogue finally immigrated to Canada. Liking it a lot so far, I just need to get the time to really sit down and pound away with it alongside other stuff, maybe this weekend. Right now I've been stuck in the post-gear-acquisition stage where the curve on getting sounds out of new stuff is meaning very little is getting finished. Hopefully have something posted after this weekend.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

JamesKPolk posted:

Would really love to hear the remaining candidates' opinions on acid/the best 303 clone.

Rubio's a TB-3 guy, Kasich is a Bassbot, TB-303 is either Cruz (biggest purist) or Trump (conspicuous consumption). Trump might be a Devilfish w/ extra LEDs.

Cruz is a TB-303

Trump would be a CS-80 or Jupiter-8 man.

And lets be real here, Jeb! would be a TB-3.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

You're making me rethink my love of the Jupiter-8, thanks

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001
Cruz is a JD-800 in a puddle of its own red epoxy goo. Trump is a 60hz 120v AC wire welded to an 18" driver.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

send all the mexicans to a lopez filter, imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

A Winner is Jew posted:

Trump would be a CS-80 or Jupiter-8 man.

poo poo, no, he's the GX-1

A Winner is Jew posted:

And lets be real here, Jeb! would be a TB-3.

Cannot argue w/ this, right down to the launch campaigns (or campaign launches)