Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MalcolmSheppard
Jun 24, 2012
MATTHEW 7:20

Mendrian posted:

If there is one thing that comes to mind about oWoD larpers is that, if you locked them in a room together long enough, they would eventually kill each other over pronunciation.

Heh. Nationality really makes a difference. In Canada almost nobody can pronounce "Brujah" or "Camarilla" correctly, but you Yanks say "Ventrue" like it's a furnace part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MalcolmSheppard
Jun 24, 2012

Toph Bei Fong posted:

The new Mage video supplement is looking pretty baller:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktnG_2-VXA0

Nah. This is like the Coles' notes for Dreams of Avarice.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

MalcolmSheppard posted:

Heh. Nationality really makes a difference. In Canada almost nobody can pronounce "Brujah" or "Camarilla" correctly, but you Yanks say "Ventrue" like it's a furnace part.

How is it supposed to be pronounced?

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Ven-true-E

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Gilok posted:

Yeah, came to post this. Beasts, on the other hand, seem to teach people lessons as an afterthought. They torture and murder to feed their hunger and then someone learns something maybe I dunno whatever. It's almost like the whole learning thing was a lovely justification added in to Beast late and the author isn't really behind the idea.

I'm not sure if that's :thejoke: or not, but.

In the first draft of beast, they were described as sort of a really poorly designed release valve for the primal dream. If they didn't exist then their beast souls would run rampant on humanity doing whatever they like. Ignoring the fact that any moral beast would kill themselves and their beast soul as soon as such a thing was possible, they still described themselves as good guys, and got really pissy at beasts in a real "not getting the irony" way. "You know beowulf would have been just another rear end in a top hat if he didn't have Grendel to slay so, you know, a thank you wouldn't be amiss!"

The "teaching lessons" thing was added after the fact but none of the beast families or hungers were touched and only the most egregious of the sample characters were changed in any way. I'm pretty sure the guys who go to local bars and talk about abandoned treasure at the bottom of the lake and then murder people who come to investigate are still there.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

MalcolmSheppard posted:

you Yanks say "Ventrue" like it's a furnace part.

In my experience, by the end of the campaign it usually is.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

DJ Dizzy posted:

Ven-true-E

That sounds silly. Our pronunciation is better.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

wait, like rhymes with screwy?

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

If so, then shouldn't there be a diaeresis over the "e"? "Ventruë"

Like with "Brontë" or " Chloë" or "Manwë"?

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
The two I've heard are VEN-troo and VON-troo. Brujah I'm pretty sure is meant to be pronounced broo-HAR and when I asked my Hungarian aunt how to pronounce Tzimisce, apparently it's something like "shuh-mee-see", but that Tz is really archaic and not used in modern Hungarian, so she wasn't 100% sure. I've always said "tsuh-mee-say" or "tsuh-mee-see".

I'm still not sure on Mekhet, tbh. "MEK-et" and "mek-HET" are the two main ones I've heard.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Doodmons posted:

The two I've heard are VEN-troo and VON-troo. Brujah I'm pretty sure is meant to be pronounced broo-HAR and when I asked my Hungarian aunt how to pronounce Tzimisce, apparently it's something like "shuh-mee-see", but that Tz is really archaic and not used in modern Hungarian, so she wasn't 100% sure. I've always said "tsuh-mee-say" or "tsuh-mee-see".

I'm still not sure on Mekhet, tbh. "MEK-et" and "mek-HET" are the two main ones I've heard.

MI-kuh-HOO-tay-EE.

I say MEH-ket

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Doodmons posted:

"tsuh-mee-see".

That's the way they pronounced it in VTR:Redemption, and there were a lot of loving Tzmince there.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Helical Nightmares posted:

Every once and a while my decison not to go to gaming conventions or ever LARP makes me feel pretty good.

PAX South and Quakecon are both fun.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Doodmons posted:

A friend of mine who's a German grad student put it in front of a Romanian colleague and was told "SHAW-mee-say".

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Pope Guilty posted:

A friend of mine who's a German grad student put it in front of a Romanian colleague and was told "SHAW-mee-say".

Man, I pronounce it zuh-mi-chi. :psyduck:

Note: I don't know how to write actual pronunciation syllables or whatever, so that is just how it sounds in my head when I say it.

Lupercalcalcal
Jan 28, 2016

Suck a dick, dumb shits

Doodmons posted:

Ok, let me give this a go:

Ventrue - VEN-troo
Brujah - broo-HAR
Mekhet - meh-KET
Tzimisce

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Where are people getting the terminal R in Brujah? I've never heard that.

I remember playing Redemption and being baffled at the BROO-zhah pronunciation until I got a copy of first edition and sure enough...

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Pope Guilty posted:

Where are people getting the terminal R in Brujah? I've never heard that.

Yeah, I've never encountered it before but that might be because it makes no sense whatsoever. If anything, the more common mispronunciation is "BROO-juh."

Lupercalcalcal
Jan 28, 2016

Suck a dick, dumb shits

PantsOptional posted:

Yeah, I've never encountered it before but that might be because it makes no sense whatsoever. If anything, the more common mispronunciation is "BROO-juh."

I suspect it's a trait of an English accent (specifically a southern accent).

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
I always just wondered why Brujah weren't the clan of magic vampires.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
I've always read Mekhet as meh-KHet as in the Arabic KH sound. For English speakers I guess it would be more like meh-het.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

The madness of hearing people pronounce the names of clans based on real, pop-cultural terms as Bur-JAH and NOSE-Fera-too leads me to believe that no one really cares to begin with.

Magnusth posted:

Okay, I'm not sure what point you're trying to make exactly, but whatever it is i'd like to engage with it. That said, sure, just dumping that element into CoW would be wierd and strange, but if you were designing a game around exploring the wierd and creepy powerdynamics of Sudent/teacher sexual relationships, you'd build a fundamentally different game. But the point of metatechniques is that you don't do whatever you're doing symbolicly. If you were doing this in a nordic larp, there would, real life, be other people around, even if the scene was only your two charecters.

The advertisement of the Vampire LARP emphasizes the fact that there will be public kissing, nudity, and faceslapping. All of this dumped into a setting where one side there are players of literal mind-controlling super-powerful vampires against the other side of regular mortals. They have also told every potential player to not dress in their finest clothing because they can't promise you won't get rough and scuffed, which is pretty much the exact opposite of "you won't be touched without consent".

And then you get into the extremely suspect "second rule" of setting where you will shunned and never return if you ever "hold back" as an IC social dynamic, which is the exact opposite of making affirmative consent a valued thing for players as a Bleed built directly into the system.

Pretending that the attendance of other LARP'ers cures this, rather than being fuel for a suspect humiliation/voyeur/exhibitionist fetish, is a major blind spot. As is the idea that you can put the onus on the player that is the least comfortable to ruin the "fun" of the players that are the most comfortable*. Coercive power dynamics have existed and been documented since before the Nordic LARP scene was even a lump in the crotch of an executive's pants while he talked to his secretary.

This whole experience as presented appears to be the sort of thing someone would design if they had figured out all of the tools at work in Nordic Larp but actually wanted to host a creepy perverted predatory-on-purpose sexdungeon-rave. The Brand Architect being, as you say, able to do the former and putting on an event that by all appearances achieves the latter makes me hope to never meet him in public or in private.

*This huge aspect of why putting the responsibility on the aggrieved person to "safeword" doesn't work without a huge investment by the society to create a non-predatory atmosphere. I could quote your whole post, LatwPIAT, but ultimately the thing that prevents this from happening in other LARPs is either A) the fairly clear bright line against sexualized harassment of any kind or B) a top-down and publicly emphasized culture of non-hierarchical reporting and self-reporting. Throwing your players to deep end of creepytown and explaining away your problems as "Bleed caused by the roleplayer's mistakes" is the exact opposite thing to do.

Gerund fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Feb 26, 2016

MalcolmSheppard
Jun 24, 2012

Kavak posted:

It's closest to a French word for fatness that is colloquially associated with wealth. VON-tru with a rolling French r. But most Americans are beyond awful at French because any French-like words have been through generational Anglicization. Similarly, I find most Canadians suck at anything that might be Spanish. I said Kam-are-Ill-Ah for ages, and would probably slip back to it in a LARP.

MalcolmSheppard fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Feb 26, 2016

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Being french-canadian, I pronounce all clan names with a silly french canadian accent.

You ever heard a dude from Quebec try to speak English when they're not good at it? We sound like we're vomiting the words. No sexy french accent here, tabarnak.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
French-Canadians sound like really angry ducks.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

BROO-ha.

VEN-tru

meh-KEHT

I don't think I've ever heard anyone actually pronounce 'Camarilla" correctly, myself included.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Mekhet with the Semitic kh makes sense to me, given their vaguely Middle Eastern origins.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

Gerund posted:

The madness of hearing people pronounce the names of clans based on real, pop-cultural terms as Bur-JAH and NOSE-Fera-too leads me to believe that no one really cares to begin with.

The advertisement of the Vampire LARP emphasizes the fact that there will be public kissing, nudity, and faceslapping. All of this dumped into a setting where one side there are players of literal mind-controlling super-powerful vampires against the other side of regular mortals. They have also told every potential player to not dress in their finest clothing because they can't promise you won't get rough and scuffed, which is pretty much the exact opposite of "you won't be touched without consent".

And then you get into the extremely suspect "second rule" of setting where you will shunned and never return if you ever "hold back" as an IC social dynamic, which is the exact opposite of making affirmative consent a valued thing for players as a Bleed built directly into the system.

Pretending that the attendance of other LARP'ers cures this, rather than being fuel for a suspect humiliation/voyeur/exhibitionist fetish, is a major blind spot. As is the idea that you can put the onus on the player that is the least comfortable to ruin the "fun" of the players that are the most comfortable*. Coercive power dynamics have existed and been documented since before the Nordic LARP scene was even a lump in the crotch of an executive's pants while he talked to his secretary.

This whole experience as presented appears to be the sort of thing someone would design if they had figured out all of the tools at work in Nordic Larp but actually wanted to host a creepy perverted predatory-on-purpose sexdungeon-rave. The Brand Architect being, as you say, able to do the former and putting on an event that by all appearances achieves the latter makes me hope to never meet him in public or in private.

*This huge aspect of why putting the responsibility on the aggrieved person to "safeword" doesn't work without a huge investment by the society to create a non-predatory atmosphere. I could quote your whole post, LatwPIAT, but ultimately the thing that prevents this from happening in other LARPs is either A) the fairly clear bright line against sexualized harassment of any kind or B) a top-down and publicly emphasized culture of non-hierarchical reporting and self-reporting. Throwing your players to deep end of creepytown and explaining away your problems as "Bleed caused by the roleplayer's mistakes" is the exact opposite thing to do.

Okay, honestly, i'm not sure you know or understand nordic larping as well as you think you do, from the way you use some nordic larping terms. But you mention both the supernatural powers and the IC 'rule'. The thing is, we don't know how either of those things will be handled. It may be that dominate and similar powers require consent from the reciever of the power before use, or simply doesn't work if you, the player playing the charecter, doesn't thing it's interesting. It may be that they adapt ars armandi or that mental powers involve elaborate symbolic journeys inside a blackbox venue.

Lastly, you mention the need for work being put into making a non-predatory atmosphere and that's, well, that how nordic larping is. Everyone i've spoken to, women included, have all responded that they have always felt safe when nordic larping, even in intense or charged scenes with relative strangers. Nordic larping is built on a foundation of trust and an atmosphere emphasizing that you take care of your fellow players and yourself. Now, i'm not saying that End of The Line is not on the more edgy or hardcore side of nordic larping, or that that comes with extra precautions you may need to take, but the people signing up for that sort of larp know what they're in for and join it on purpose. Now, i'm not among them, but some people like and want physicality and Intense or outside the norm experienes in the safe confines of a larp, and this is pretty explicitly for that kind of player, and it seems like that should be pretty obvious even to those outside the nordic larp scene.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

You guys really need to learn IPA.

Brujah = /bruha/
Ventrue = /vantRu/

Mekhet and Tzimisce though are just letters. I can't find a language they're supposed to be so it's just guessing. It's just bullshit fantasy "language" with no real research. Or else actual sources are totally drowned by nerd bullshit.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Xiahou Dun posted:

bullshit fantasy "language"

I don't really see the problem. Honestly I'd prefer more fabricated terms. Stuff pulled from real world languages tends to be loaded down with all sorts of cultural baggage. To say nothing of the occasional "oops" that happens when you crib the wrong word.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Mendrian posted:

I don't really see the problem. Honestly I'd prefer more fabricated terms. Stuff pulled from real world languages tends to be loaded down with all sorts of cultural baggage. To say nothing of the occasional "oops" that happens when you crib the wrong word.
*everyone refuses to make eye contact and kinda scuffs the ground whenever the WtA term for a werewolf born of two werewolves gets mentioned*

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Yeah, that one is a problem. (So is Brujah, the clan of tough biker thugs whose name is a lady witch, usually a healer. But that's more just funny.)

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I'm personally fond of the mafia necromancers of Clan John.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Xiahou Dun posted:

You guys really need to learn IPA.

Brujah = /bruha/
Ventrue = /vantRu/

Mekhet and Tzimisce though are just letters. I can't find a language they're supposed to be so it's just guessing. It's just bullshit fantasy "language" with no real research. Or else actual sources are totally drowned by nerd bullshit.

quote:

This may be either a rather strange spelling of a Yiddish word referring perhaps to a type of "carrot stew" or it may refer to the Byzantine Emperor John I Tzimisces.

The "carrot stew" version is reportedly from Mark Rein*Hagen himself, as communicated to me by Alyssa Gulledge. If accurate, I suspect it's related to the Yiddish/German "zermischen" which means something like "to mix up thoroughly" ("zer-" often indicates some destructiveness or violence in the action.) I've seen "tsemishe" (basically "zermische" using an English phonetic spelling) and related forms in a Yiddish reference with the base meaning of "mix up", and the extension to stew seems logical. The specification to carrots is possibly a narrowly distributed dialect feature or possibly even an idiolect feature related to the loss of the use of "zermischen" in a wider context, not an unusual occurrence among descendants of immigrants as the language of their forebears fades from everyday use. The pronunciation of "tsemishe" is much closer to stated pronunciations of "tzimisce" than the pronunciation that I would expect from the spelling of "tzimisce", leading me to wonder how this spelling came about and what its relationship to the epithet of a Byzantine emperor might be.

The Emperor's nickname is incidentally the anglicized spelling of the Byzantine Greek spelling of an Armenian nickname, which, according to a medieval Byzantine source, means "shorty" in Armenian. (Tzimisces and his family were of Armenian extraction.)

Source, some random website, who knows how accurate it is.

MalcolmSheppard
Jun 24, 2012

Mors Rattus posted:

Yeah, that one is a problem. (So is Brujah, the clan of tough biker thugs whose name is a lady witch, usually a healer. But that's more just funny.)

I think that stuff makes it organic. We live in a world where Caesar changed from a family name to a title to a drink made with vodka, clam juice and tomato juice. I have a name that was once assigned to Scottish monks. Giovanni's a bit different in that it's an inaccurate proper surname by a group that would track that kind of thing carefully.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Brujah is okay because it's not the name for an entire ethnic group and calling a clan of biker rebel vampires that is just weird rather than incredibly offensive like Metis.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I like Metis because they're kind of a unique thing in Werewolf lore and that's a nice feather to pin to Apoc's hat.. but they really really need a different name.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Xiahou Dun posted:

Mekhet is Ancient Egyptian or a possibly a corruption thereof, as in the cow goddess Mehet-Weret, aka Mekhet-Weret.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

may microbes, bacilli their tissues infest
and tapeworms securely their bowels digest

Kavak posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZVYc2RJ1KY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Little_Viking
Aug 23, 2007
Raiding Lindisfarne since 793AD.
Not part of pronunciation chat, out of curiosity I picked up the mummy: the curse box set. I'm really digging the setting, and it really sorta blends a total fantasy element to CofD, and being a nerdy metalhead who liked khemri in warhammer and listening to Nile, really touched on my "ancient evil dead is metal as gently caress!" part of my brain.

Has anyone actually run this game? And if so, any ideas on how to blend the new 2nd edition rules into the game? I'm going to try to introduce this to my group once my WTF chronicle's completed, and I'd like to keep cultists using the CofD rules, just not sure how to bring the Mummy stuff over.