Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
:nws: * 2

http://i.imgur.com/fPYWtOr.gif

http://i.imgur.com/E3NlaCT.jpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Pillow Hat posted:

What the gently caress really? Why do people still wear those!?

Edit: spelling

apart from tradition, i heard it's also to give a degree of anonymity to the judge. it's harder to get revenge on someone that's put you away if they were wearing a wig and a robes at the time so you're not 100% sure what they look like outside court

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

apart from tradition, i heard it's also to give a degree of anonymity to the judge. it's harder to get revenge on someone that's put you away if they were wearing a wig and a robes at the time so you're not 100% sure what they look like outside court

Canada's supreme Court justices wear their robes so they can stop by the mall to do Christmas shopping on the way home from work in December and not be bothered

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

It's also so they can wear whatever they want underneath.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q80ElML7KGk

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Aw son of a bitch, I got Moon Moon.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Dude, it was your movie or friggin' Star Wars, get over it.

(Or don't, because Tarantinfreude is Good Freude)

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Isn't Hateful Eight an absolute bitch to actually get to show on projectors because he decided to put it on actual film instead of digital, long after almost every theater has converted to the latter?

It's kind of his own fault, if that is indeed the case.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Isn't Hateful Eight an absolute bitch to actually get to show on projectors because he decided to put it on actual film instead of digital, long after almost every theater has converted to the latter?

Yes, he was so adamant that it be filmed on 70mm film despite a) most places not having setups for film, much less 70mm film and b) there weren't as many people with the appropriate knowledge about how to project 70mm/film in general. This led to not quite clusterfuck levels of fuckups when things went wrong and theaters had to use the digital versions instead.

Having seen both, you weren't really missing out on much on digital.

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!

Pillow Hat posted:

Okay so I see the dress as white and gold, and I see the jacket as green and brownish/goldish. My girlfriend sees the reciprocal stuff, but the thing I don't understand is that in both cases if you just crop the picture to a single portion without the context of the rest of the picture, she sees the colors as I see them. I really want someone to explain this phenomenon to me.
White things take on a blue-ish cast when they're outside and in shadow. Your brain is trying to use the rest of the image to figure out what the actual lighting conditions were when the photo was taken, and what it decides/assumes about those lighting conditions determines what colors you "see".

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Lazlo Nibble posted:

White things take on a blue-ish cast when they're outside and in shadow. Your brain is trying to use the rest of the image to figure out what the actual lighting conditions were when the photo was taken, and what it decides/assumes about those lighting conditions determines what colors you "see".

Looks completely the same in both.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Humans don't really have absolute colour perception. Our brains take so many cues from our surroundings that we're easily fooled.

People see colours which aren't there in those dress and jacket photos there because they're subconsciously adjusting for the conditions they think surround the clothes.

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.
Batter up!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dE2fl38sXE

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
For a second there I was hoping thinking he would trash the bike, too.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Gorilla Salad posted:

People see colours which aren't there in those dress and jacket photos there because they're subconsciously adjusting for the conditions they think surround the clothes.

True, but then the opposite can be said as well, where people can't adjust for the conditions surrounding an item and merely see what the resultant color is.

So instead of seeing a jacket with white on it and yellowish light tinting that white, they simply see a gold color.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Pillow Hat posted:

What the gently caress really? Why do people still wear those!?

Edit: spelling

Get this, the guards at Buckingham Palace aren't allowed to smile either!

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

lovely rear end cameras and bad lighting make colors ambiguous because people don't know how to take pictures.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

MisterBibs posted:

He's an idiot, and is on the same level as Kevin Smith. Disney won't give a poo poo that an 'ex-employee' from a decade ago won't deign to return.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

If anyone's still wondering what does or does not constitute proper schadenfreude:

This is not it. What's wrong with you?

This, on the other hand, is the good stuff. So delicious.

Stoatbringer posted:

Brothers who mocked judge over suspended sentence in obscene Facebook posts jailed for two years

Two criminals given suspended sentences after showing remorse in court. Afterwards they immediately mock the judge on Facebook for being so lenient. Judge sees it, calls them back for a sentence review and sends them down for two years as they were clearly not remorseful at all. :dance:

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Freudian slippers posted:

If anyone's still wondering what does or does not constitute proper schadenfreude:

This is not it. What's wrong with you?

Yes, he posted deliberately to provoke a reaction. Leave it alone.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

MisterBibs posted:

Malachite_Dragon posted:

It's not just that: Star Wars' opening was loving huge, one of the biggest in history. Even if Tarantino went digital he would have still gotten pushed out by it. Anything in the world could have opened during the same time and it would have been ushered out. It's not personal, it's just that Disney wanted to make bank on their investment and they easily did so. They didn't have anything to gain by 'taking on' Tarantino and were doing their own thing.

Tarantino, however, has been going farther and farther up his own rear end for a while now, so lashing out against Disney is just a way for him to mentally justify how Hateful Eight didn't live up to expectations. The 70mm mess was just a cherry on top of a poo poo pie, and Quentin is finally getting his ego kicked down a little and simply can't handle it. To be fair, the kicking down should have happened back in the late '90s anyway to make him a bit more humble.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Yay! New Failarmy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-29yW0Uz0s

3:04 is magical, but 4:08 is pretty much the definition of :stare:.

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.
Heroes of the storm is Blizzards "me too!" answer to the moba genre. ~Hardcore~ moba nerds laugh at its simplified mechanics and general streamlining. As a result, it's not nearly as big as the other entries in the genre. In the game, you can get various different portraits that show up by your name. They have no effect on any in game functions, they cannot be traded between characters (and are therefor valueless), and are generally only seen in the ~30 seconds where you're loading into a match. Unfortunately, Blizzard has released some portraits that not every person can hope to collect. Cue the manbaby whining:

A giant blubbering baby posted:

I kindly ask that if you don't care about player portraits or collectible items in general that you save yourself some time and skip over this entire post. Replies like "no one cares" and "it's not that big of a deal", while valid opinions, do nothing but drown out the concerns of the people that do actually care about this topic.
Let me start by saying that I'm aware that most people aren't going to relate or care about what I'm posting here. I've brought this topic up in the past for many other game titles, so I realize that not everyone is into collecting trivial vanity items, portraits, skins, and things that generally don't impact the actual gameplay itself in any way.
But there are some people, like myself, that enjoy collecting these kinds of things, and maintaining a complete collection. That's why I'm making this post.
A Brief Backstory
I've never been able to maintain a complete collection of vanity items in any online game. Either rewards are given out in Alpha, exclusive offers are created for specific regions of the world and certain retailers, or obscure events and conventions sneak out limited-edition content and items that then become impossible to acquire. When I first heard about Heroes of the Storm back in Alpha, I said to myself:
"This could be it. This could be a game where I could actually try to maintain a full collection of all the game's content, limited and otherwise, from the very beginning."
This, coupled with the fact that I genuinely enjoyed the concept of a simplified, fast-paced MOBA featuring Blizzard characters, created an ambition in me that I wanted to pursue. And so, from the very beginning, I made sure to keep on top of everything related to Heroes of the Storm. Leveling to 40 in Alpha. Purchasing mounts that were being removed from the shop. Taking part in every seasonal event. Spending gold on limited edition mounts like the 2015 Champion's Nexagon. Creating a bracket for the 2015 Heroes of the Dorm Azmodan portrait. I even dropped $25 on a code for the "Tespa Chen" portrait that Blizzard never announced was being added to the game. But, somewhere deep down, I always harbored a fear that some sort of event would surface one day that I wouldn't be able to take part in, and that it would destroy the entire collection I had worked to maintain.
That fear has come to pass with Heroes of the Dorm 2016.
The Current Situation
I knew this situation was inevitable when I went to check out the registration page for Heroes of the Dorm 2016:
https://compete.tespa.org/tournament/15/
Upon scrolling down a little bit, located on the right side of the page underneath the "Prizes" tab, it reads:
"All Players: Unique In-Game Portrait (Teams with 2 no-shows will not receive the portrait)"
I knew I wasn't going to be able to participate, I had already graduated from college. However, I wasn't about to throw in the towel just yet... this was a collection I had been working to keep complete since 2014. A post was later made on the Heroes of the Storm Twitter page:

There was still a chance. I went so far as to personally message many of the leaders of the teams that were registering for the Heroes of the Dorm 2016 event, asking them if their rosters were full and whether they had an open substitute player slot or not. I found several teams that needed players, and eventually found one team that was willing to take the steps necessary to get me registered as a substitute player for their team. I practiced and helped that team prepare for the event.
"I've done everything I can. Now, all I can do is wait."
Finally, the day of closed registrations was right around the corner. That's when the leader of the team I was on messaged me:
"Hey man, I've got some bad news. Our team isn't going to be able to participate in Heroes of the Dorm 2016. They say that because we're a 2-year program that we don't qualify. I'm really sorry... I know how much you wanted that portrait. We're disappointed that we can't take part, too."
It was certainly a worrying development, but I wasn't going to give up hope. The previous year, in the Heroes of the Dorm 2015 event, both the players in the event and people who kept up with and created a fantasy bracket for the tournament were awarded with an Azmodan in-game portrait. Maybe, this year would be the same. It had to be the same...right? There's no way Blizzard would leave such a large demographic out from receiving this portrait...right? The Heroes of the Dorm website was eventually updated:
https://www.heroesofthedorm.com/
On the website, it's confirmed that "All teams who participate throughout the entire qualifier round will receive a brand-new Heroes of the Dorm player portrait!". In a separate info section, alongside a completely different player portrait, it reads "Complete your bracket to receive a brand-new Heroes of the Dorm player portrait - details coming soon!". I was crushed. Feeling both shocked and defeated, all I could do was think to myself:
"That's it then. It's over..."
My Request
I'm making this request for everyone who feels the same way I do, and for all of the teams that were denied access to participating in the Heroes of the Dorm 2016.
Please, let players unlock both of the new Heroes of the Dorm player portraits by completing the bracket challenge this year.
Maybe I'm asking for too much. Whether I am or not, this is the last direct action I can perform that might save player's portrait collections that have been being maintained since 2014. I know this is almost certainly not going to influence the outcome of this event, but I had to try. At the very least, sharing my story will give some kind of closure to my days of collecting vanity items in online games.
Best of luck to all of you collectors out there with completing your collections, whatever they may involve!

https://www.reddit.com/r/heroesofthestorm/comments/47t99w/heroes_of_the_dorm_2016_ingame_player_portrait/

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Yay! New Failarmy!

You know it's a slow fail week when "person falls while skating slowly" makes the cut. Doorframe chin-up bars should have the FailArmy submission address printed on the packaging, though.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Gorilla Salad posted:

Humans don't really have absolute colour perception. Our brains take so many cues from our surroundings that we're easily fooled.

Explain what I'm supposed to be seeing here, because I see orange and magenta horizontal stripes with mint green segments moving back and forth. Do some people see the moving parts as navy blue or what?

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
It's supposed to show you that the green bars are the same color but you perceive them different depending on what color is next to them.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Explain what I'm supposed to be seeing here, because I see orange and magenta horizontal stripes with mint green segments moving back and forth. Do some people see the moving parts as navy blue or what?

In addition to what Klaus Kinski said, I see the green bars as cyan when they're on the left.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Klaus Kinski posted:

It's supposed to show you that the green bars are the same color but you perceive them different depending on what color is next to them.

I can see that in that image, but with the dress thing it's not the same thing. That comparison image someone posted is just the same blue and black dress except in the lighter image the black looks less black. I hate whoever uploaded that stupid loving dress image to the internet.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

:laffo: Holy poo poo she just tips right over the edge :allears:

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Murphy Brownback posted:

I can see that in that image, but with the dress thing it's not the same thing. That comparison image someone posted is just the same blue and black dress except in the lighter image the black looks less black. I hate whoever uploaded that stupid loving dress image to the internet.

Honest to god not joking here, it looks white and gold to me in both images.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

What has been seen cannot be unseen.

Murphy Brownback posted:

I agree except that the dress is white and gold for me no matter what.

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo
Different people's brains work in different ways?

Well I never!

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Also magenta doesn't exist.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

What has been seen cannot be unseen.

belt posted:

Different people's brains work in different ways?

Well I never!

Yes I am shocked about that and that is the reason for my incredulity. Absolutely what I was confused about.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

PhazonLink posted:

Also magenta doesn't exist.

You mean we've been doing 4C process at my print shop all wrong? Well, poo poo. What are we going to tell our clients?

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Yay! New Failarmy!

EVERYTIME HE NEEDS TO GO POOP HE POOPS IN MY BATHROOM! :qq:

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

You mean we've been doing 4C process at my print shop all wrong? Well, poo poo. What are we going to tell our clients?

It just doesn't exist in the light spectrum and is instead a mixture, like white light.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Lurking Haro posted:

It just doesn't exist in the light spectrum and is instead a mixture, like white light.

:ssh: Light and pigment operate under different rules.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Aerdan posted:

Light and Pigment don't play by the rules, but they get the job done! Worst buddy cop movie ever.

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!
i don't think you're allowed to refer to black people like that anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Aerdan posted:

If your eye receives pigments instead of light, it tends to get irritated.
Magenta light is missing the middle spectrum, no matter if it wasn't there in the first place or was absorbed by a surface.

-e-

Dex posted:

i don't think you're allowed to refer to black people like that anymore

At which end of the bus do red and blue respectively sit?

Lurking Haro has a new favorite as of 18:30 on Feb 27, 2016