Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

:eyepop:
Did we seriously just get a "Munchkin is great because..." argument?

The difference is that Munchkin games can last hours while Conspiracy draft games were lucky to make it past fifteen minutes, and I don't see that changing at all in the next one.

Also Magic having player elimination makes it the total opposite of that so idk what you're going for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I prefer Knizia's bidding-based self-correcting systems in games to "politics and ganging up" personally.

(Mandatory Eurogame plug, of course)

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

dragon enthusiast posted:

Dang, SOI previews start in two weeks. Feels super early

I expect there will be a bit of a blowout on the set before that since its a brand-new block. I have no idea where they would even do that, but that big giant card like the one they use at PAX suggests as such.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Zoness posted:

I prefer Knizia's bidding-based self-correcting systems in games to "politics and ganging up" personally.

Sure, and I really like games like Knizia's stuff as well, but Conspiracy's entire schtick is being a politics-based multiplayer limited format.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Fun thing I happened on while idly researching. There are exactly two creatures printed for the first time in the modern era that satisfy the following requirements:

-You can cast them.
-Are mono-white.
-Have Trample natively.

Guess first, then mouseover: Bringer of the White Dawn, Mirror-Sigil Sergeant

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The Shortest Path posted:

The difference is that Munchkin games can last hours while Conspiracy draft games were lucky to make it past fifteen minutes, and I don't see that changing at all in the next one.

Also Magic having player elimination makes it the total opposite of that so idk what you're going for.

Player elimination is worse for multiplayer (here we go on the EDH track again~) and I don't know what conspiracy games you've played but when I tried it twice, each game of 4 people took ~1.5 hours. Munchkin tends to last that long unless you start using all the awful expansions.

Zoness posted:

Someone described Ra to me once as equal to my classic dream car: the Audi Quattro S1 from the Gruppen B days. It's one of my cherished games and I think the analogy holds. :3:

\/ \/ \/ I wish I could be so lucky. I'll prob try one anyway since I have so much store credit

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Feb 26, 2016

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
my conspiracy games lasted less than ten minutes because I drafted five vent sentinels and that conspiracy that tutors them all into your hand :allears:

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

my conspiracy games lasted less than ten minutes because I drafted five vent sentinels and that conspiracy that tutors them all into your hand :allears:

mine lasted a long time because i drafted four copies of compulsive research and conspiracies such that they cost U and i cast a copy when i cast them

the only draft i ever won while being in danger of decking every game

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I played Munchkin once, got the tutor card, realized how stupid broken the game was in general, decided never to play again. HTH.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

ShaneB posted:

I played Munchkin once, got the tutor card, realized how stupid broken the game was in general, decided never to play again. HTH.
I played Munchkin once, watched a bunch of people throw consecutive tantrums about getting denied a win, and decided to never play it with anyone who I am not already drinking with.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

UW fliers with all the favorable winds, doomed travellers and intangible virtues I could pick was the most fun deck.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

the thing about munchkin is that its only good for people who dont care if a game is good or not

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Yawgmoth posted:

I played Munchkin once, watched a bunch of people throw consecutive tantrums about getting denied a win, and decided to never play it with anyone who I am not already drinking with.

Yeah, seriously just play Drinking Quest!

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I wish they hadn't gone with the four-player-game thing for Conspiracy, because I liked literally everything else about it. The cards that alter the draft were a really cool idea and pretty well done, the flavor was good, it was a decent draft set with fun reprints. It's just that everything after the draft portion is awful if you don't enjoy 4 player magic.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Cernunnos posted:

Would they reprint Gravecrawler? Would that be good enough for you?

Uh, yes. That would be the best thing ever. Bloodsoaked champion for 1 less mana with a sorcery speed caveat, I'm all about that.

Would a 1 mana 2/1 with dethrone be too good?

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

I always drafted a sweet G/X deck, relying on Respite and Provoke to gently caress with enemies and prevent my own damage. It was always hilarious fun. :allears:

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I would just wait for people to pass the confusing rares like Pernicious Deed to me.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

odiv posted:

I would just wait for people to pass the confusing rares like Pernicious Deed to me.

For a "casual draft environment" Decimate gave a buncha people the feel bads when you pointed out that it needed legal targets for all four types.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Entropic posted:

I wish they hadn't gone with the four-player-game thing for Conspiracy, because I liked literally everything else about it. The cards that alter the draft were a really cool idea and pretty well done, the flavor was good, it was a decent draft set with fun reprints. It's just that everything after the draft portion is awful if you don't enjoy 4 player magic.

I thought it was fun, just a very different game environment which means you need to draft differently. Cards like Fires of Yavimaya, which are normally very good in 1v1, are awful in a 4-player game because they say "kill me or I could mess you up" so people will go after you. Vent Sentinel, which is pretty lackluster in 1v1, is suddenly incredibly OP because it hits opponents without having to tap on your turn and blocks very well (also because people are generally terrible at threat assessment and don't use removal on them). The format really rewarded playing good blockers backed up with ridiculously huge (like 15/15 or bigger) finishers, preferably given haste by that one Conspiracy. If you were going to play aggro in that format you had to bring a whole bunch of fliers or go home, and you still might not get there.

Dethrone was an interesting mechanic but was not actually very good in practice because attacking with a less-than-gigantic creature isn't really a great strategy in a 4-player game. Voting was really cool though, I enjoyed it a lot especially the 2 mana black card that Edicts all your opponents. The Conspiracy cards were also great, nearly every single one was either a tiny bit or incredibly broken. Turns out starting with resources beyond 20 life + 7 cards is pretty strong! Some of them were probably a little too good, which I noticed after taking 20 damage from two cast Brimstone Volleys

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Conspiracy did some cool things in Legacy and I hope Conspiracy 2: Grenzoic Boogaloo continues to do cool things in Legacy

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Lets Pickle posted:

I thought it was fun, just a very different game environment which means you need to draft differently. Cards like Fires of Yavimaya, which are normally very good in 1v1, are awful in a 4-player game because they say "kill me or I could mess you up" so people will go after you. Vent Sentinel, which is pretty lackluster in 1v1, is suddenly incredibly OP because it hits opponents without having to tap on your turn and blocks very well (also because people are generally terrible at threat assessment and don't use removal on them). The format really rewarded playing good blockers backed up with ridiculously huge (like 15/15 or bigger) finishers, preferably given haste by that one Conspiracy. If you were going to play aggro in that format you had to bring a whole bunch of fliers or go home, and you still might not get there.

Dethrone was an interesting mechanic but was not actually very good in practice because attacking with a less-than-gigantic creature isn't really a great strategy in a 4-player game. Voting was really cool though, I enjoyed it a lot especially the 2 mana black card that Edicts all your opponents. The Conspiracy cards were also great, nearly every single one was either a tiny bit or incredibly broken. Turns out starting with resources beyond 20 life + 7 cards is pretty strong! Some of them were probably a little too good, which I noticed after taking 20 damage from two cast Brimstone Volleys

My favorite time was when 2 of my 3 opponents had huge haymaker creatures as their only creature. So I cast a Tyrant's Choice, we got 2 votes for each so they all lost 4 life. So I cast another Tyrant's choice, and they lost another 4 life.

Then I cast a Smallpox. :getin:

notbrant
Jul 1, 2003
Into an unknown modern meta(I literally play constructed against someone who isn't my son 5 times a year)
What would be the recommended deck to play:
Blue moon
Rw burn
Grixis control

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

notbrant posted:

Into an unknown modern meta(I literally play constructed against someone who isn't my son 5 times a year)
What would be the recommended deck to play:
Blue moon
Rw burn
Grixis control

Blue Moon.

I don't think Burn or Grixis is positioned very well at all right now.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Am I the only who keeps unintentionally calling the upcoming set "Scars of Innistrad?"

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Angry Grimace posted:

Am I the only who keeps unintentionally calling the upcoming set "Scars of Innistrad?"

Nope.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

is there a pauper thread or anything or anywhere to go to figure out the MTGO pauper meta?

I did a league with what I thought was a clever loving deck but apparently everyone else is playing these mega combo artifact decks because I lost to 5 in a row. (3 of the exact same deck as far as I could tell with the affinity/atog/carapace forger)

I mean I guess I could just make a mono red artifact hate deck and hope I roll into the same set of decks again but maybe I just got a weird streak thing going instead.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Telex posted:

is there a pauper thread or anything or anywhere to go to figure out the MTGO pauper meta?

I did a league with what I thought was a clever loving deck but apparently everyone else is playing these mega combo artifact decks because I lost to 5 in a row. (3 of the exact same deck as far as I could tell with the affinity/atog/carapace forger)

I mean I guess I could just make a mono red artifact hate deck and hope I roll into the same set of decks again but maybe I just got a weird streak thing going instead.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3764731

Also
http://www.mtggoldfish.com/metagame/pauper

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
The power level in Pauper is quite high. Yes, it's commons only, but it includes cards all the way back to when Wizards had no idea what the gently caress they were doing with regards to balancing the game so you will still run into decks packed full of cards that are banned in Modern and other 'we-will-never-print-poo poo-like-this-again' mistakes.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

I just 4/1'd a league with Living End. My prizes? A SINGLE OGW Booster and 120 pieces of Wizards Scrip. I spent $8 worth of tix and got a $4 pack. Why does anyone play this game?

Also I'm going to repeat myself for the 1000th time: Pauper owns and everyone should join Goon League VII: Dirge of Faeries for some good, clean fun (also so you can watch me play an inconsistent deck and complain a bunch about mulligans.) We're starting some time around the 7th so you've got plenty of time to figure stuff out. There's lots of people who are willing to help you if you don't know what to play, where to find cards, etc. You can PM me or send me a message on MTGO: suicidesteve44. Make sure you read the first post so you know the rules!

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Went 4-0 without dropping a single game tonight at FNM with UR Eldrazi.

I love this deck.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Went 4-0 without dropping a single game tonight at FNM with UR Eldrazi.

I love this deck.

modern or standard?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Entropic posted:

modern or standard?

Modern.

Round 1 I played some kind of UW artifact ramp deck. No idea. He died.
Round 2 I played.... I actually forget.
Round 3 was against burn and he died the first game to reality smasher then died to chalice game 2.
Round 4 was against UW Eldrazi and he died to me being faster.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Went to my LGS for FNM today since work called me in last week and I missed out. Found out they were scheduling a Pauper event for the middle of next month. :toot::toot::toot:

Apparently one of the guys last week wanted to make it printed-at-common-in-paper only (Battle Screech :saddowns: ) but I think I've convinced the owner to go with Paper + Online with the ban-list that Card Kingdom was/is using (Online list + Goblin Grenade, High Tide, Sinkhole, and Hymn). Hopefully it goes well and we can do it again.

Does anyone think anything else needs to be banned or is the CK list good enough to keep things under control? It's a fairly small shop so I don't exactly expect everyone to show up with some insane deck if something is broken but I'd hate for someone to show up with cards-i-own.dec, get completely :fuckoff:-ed because the "usual suspects" (3 guys who are pretty cool most of the time but probably wouldn't hesitate to do it) realized something busted got overlooked, and then completely abandon the format. It'll be bad enough for them going up against any actual Pauper decks when their deck is built out of just Standard-cards-from-the-last-few-years/whatever-the-shop-has-lying-around (not much more than that honestly) let alone some busted thing.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Went to my first Friday Night Magic and my first time playing the game competitively since like, Urza's Saga. Needless to say, I got blown the gently caress up but it was fun and I'll be back, maybe even with a basic understanding of what is in the block or what an ally is.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Cernunnos posted:

Went to my LGS for FNM today since work called me in last week and I missed out. Found out they were scheduling a Pauper event for the middle of next month. :toot::toot::toot:

Apparently one of the guys last week wanted to make it printed-at-common-in-paper only (Battle Screech :saddowns: ) but I think I've convinced the owner to go with Paper + Online with the ban-list that Card Kingdom was/is using (Online list + Goblin Grenade, High Tide, Sinkhole, and Hymn). Hopefully it goes well and we can do it again.

Does anyone think anything else needs to be banned or is the CK list good enough to keep things under control? It's a fairly small shop so I don't exactly expect everyone to show up with some insane deck if something is broken but I'd hate for someone to show up with cards-i-own.dec, get completely :fuckoff:-ed because the "usual suspects" (3 guys who are pretty cool most of the time but probably wouldn't hesitate to do it) realized something busted got overlooked, and then completely abandon the format. It'll be bad enough for them going up against any actual Pauper decks when their deck is built out of just Standard-cards-from-the-last-few-years/whatever-the-shop-has-lying-around (not much more than that honestly) let alone some busted thing.
There have been two paper pauper tournaments there, hymn was always banned and high tide was only banned for one. High tide destroyed the first one, and the second was pre-cloud of faeries. So it'd be pretty close to what you see online, which is pretty fun.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!
So what cards actually get lost if you just play with common-on-paper cards? Battle screech is one, but what else?

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

Jenx posted:

So what cards actually get lost if you just play with common-on-paper cards? Battle screech is one, but what else?

Arrogant wurm, which may actually become playable if we get a gift in SoI.

Edit: in addition to hymn and high tide, it's probably a good idea to ban sinkhole if you think anyone is crazy enough to go out and buy a playset.

fomo sacer fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Feb 27, 2016

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Jenx posted:

Chainer's Edict is the biggest one, and Chainer's Edict is a loving sweet card. There is no downside to using paper+online commons.

Battle Screech, Brindle Boar, Tangle, some of the worse Tempest Slivers, they're all fine cards that add depth to certain archetypes (and Screech made White Weenie not a joke for the first time) and if you search for "common" in Gatherer or Magiccards.info you get all the commons so why wouldn't you allow online commons?

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
Won at least one game each round today in draft with Inverter of Truth. It's so loving cool when you push aside your deck and go "I am beating you with the 3 cards in my graveyard" (though to be fair one of those cards was usually Reality Smasher, my god the value)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Cactrot posted:

UW fliers with all the favorable winds, doomed travellers and intangible virtues I could pick was the most fun deck.

Sorry you never got to draft orzhov voting. That's the most fun deck. U/W fliers is a good one, but one Vow of Duty and it beats you, usually without you even realizing it. It's like in multiplayer commander when you reach the point where everyone knows who the presumptive winner will be, but dick around trying to keep the others from comboing off. What you do is encourage infighting and absusing the tendancy to vote for whatever screws over the guy winning. You can use the same haymakers from the flying deck too, it is a ridiculous color combo.

We drafted enough Conspiracy to enact and abide by a no durdle rule that helps the format immensely, so politics were very powerful. It helps that if someone plays the usual 40 cards there is a good chance they will deck out if they don't do something with the strong card draw in the format.

• Locked thread