Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Number19 posted:

Don't blame Russ for this one

It's paul??? Man that guy is responsible for everything bad about this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

havent heard a peep
May 29, 2003

When Steve Jobs died it wasn't the first job I'd lost that week.

Washout posted:

I knew they would never actually ban the people that matter. They saw a bunch of emp/lord/comp team people on that list and that they are whales and did an immediate retraction or something similar. Or they already knew and made this announcement and gave them some warning via someone inside the company leaking information so that they would not get banned. The whole thing is going to completely ruin 4v4 matches because just one cheater in those and it's hosed. Hell the whole game can get hosed at this point, that announcement by itself just ruined all the small scale matches before they even released it.

On the plus side my steam backlog needs an rear end whooping after playing MWO for a year solid.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The Good Professor posted:

Quoting myself because I think it got lost in #russchat and I want to be in a unit.

i'm not playing much these days but if you pm me i'll log in and invite you

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Commoners posted:

Personally I purposely sabotage any attempts at a goon group victory. The secret is minimizing your tonnage to effectiveness ratio. No armor atlas with minimum xl engine and one small laser is my optimal build for these purposes.

This is why I love playing with people like Commoners.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
There are almost no cheaters

We are very good at detecting cheaters

We are building tools to detect cheaters

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Banano posted:

There are almost no cheaters

We are very good at detecting cheaters

We are building tools to detect cheaters

We have always been at war with Heliosia

Koboje
Sep 20, 2005

Quack
So is this an accurate summary of what is going to happen?

* Less than 12 people are likely to be banned for cheating
* Said people will be able to return to the game relatively shortly afterwards and just get back to cheating

* Changes will be made to Conquest that will make the game drag out a lot to no ones enjoyment

* Changes will be made so Alpha striking won't be that effective, killing a whole lot of builds, some that were not that impressive to begin with, slowing down engagements, while interestingly making sniping and aimbotting a more attractive thing to do

* :pgi:

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Koboje posted:

So is this an accurate summary of what is going to happen?

* Less than 12 people are likely to be banned for cheating
* Said people will be able to return to the game relatively shortly afterwards and just get back to cheating

* Changes will be made to Conquest that will make the game drag out a lot to no ones enjoyment

* Changes will be made so Alpha striking won't be that effective, killing a whole lot of builds, some that were not that impressive to begin with, slowing down engagements, while interestingly making sniping and aimbotting a more attractive thing to do

* :pgi:

Well at least they totally ruined it before I could really get back into the swing of things.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Here's what will really happen:

• Goons will kick and scream about :pgi:
  • :pgi: will release new content and patches
  • Goons will endlessly throw money at :pgi:
  • Goons will continue to kick and scream about :pgi:

edit-- when you see a bunch of them so close together like that, they start to look like a bunch of spinning banana peels

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Feb 27, 2016

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Love Stole the Day posted:

edit-- when you see a bunch of them so close together like that, they start to look like a bunch of spinning banana peels

In essence it might as well be a banana peel which goons have been slipping on, over and over again.

But really we're screaming doom and gloom, but those of us who still like stomping robots will find a means of working around any particular change PGI forces down our throats. Maybe the Centurion will make a glorious return. Doesn't have a huge array to alpha.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
what

what changes to alpha

are they gonna increase ghost heat?

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Or the game will die for two years like it did before when it was sniping all match long.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
I mean it is PGI but since we don't actually know what the changes will be yet, uhhh

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Interesting that more ghost heat stuff is announced after yelling at Paul in game about how ghost heat was bad and dumb and he should apologize.

All the while harassing him in a pirates bane until I got punked by some random gauss dude.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Copy and paste the game to unreal.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Any time I've died to an alpha I know it likely was my own drat fault.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Sputty posted:

Some guy on youtube was transferring the MWO models in unreal so it's actually very easy and also we're going to make interns do it! It's free real estate.

Didn't amazon buy the crysis engine and release a royalty/liscence-free version of it? That's probably what Russ was talking about moving to. I expect there to be some interoperability of assets between the engines, but how much I have no idea.

Also, if Russ wants to reduce the viability of Alpha Strikes, he can increase heat sink cooling rates and reduce heat sink capacity across the board.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

A.o.D. posted:

Didn't amazon buy the crysis engine and release a royalty/liscence-free version of it? That's probably what Russ was talking about moving to. I expect there to be some interoperability of assets between the engines, but how much I have no idea.

Also, if Russ wants to reduce the viability of Alpha Strikes, he can increase heat sink cooling rates and reduce heat sink capacity across the board.

I'd totally be on board for this.

TheStampede
Feb 20, 2008

"I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that."
What are people's thoughts on the Kodiak? I was about to throw PG $15 so I could eke out some Premium Time and any cheap paint or camo sales I saw. However, for $5 more I can get the Kodiak pack with the early adopter rewards, which has a lot more for my money's worth.

Edit: Where can I see the quirks for the Kodiaks? Is the Spirit Bear a +Cbill mech?

TheStampede fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Feb 27, 2016

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

A.o.D. posted:

Another sensible, reasonable solution that Paul dismissed years ago because it would make some heat neutral builds possible. So yeah, shut up idiot, until you've got an N64 VW beetle racing game under your belt you know nothing.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

TheStampede posted:

What are people's thoughts on the Kodiak? I was about to throw PG $15 so I could eke out some Premium Time and any cheap paint or camo sales I saw. However, for $5 more I can get the Kodiak pack with the early adopter rewards, which has a lot more for my money's worth.

Edit: Where can I see the quirks for the Kodiaks? Is the Spirit Bear a +Cbill mech?

The Spirit Bear is a (H) mech. All (H) mechs are +cbill. Also, there are no quirks for the Kodiak, and I don't expect that there will be any quirks for the Kodiak. It's a clan mech, and they almost never get quirks out of the gate. Expect it to have more speed than the Atlas, similar firepower compared to the Atlas, and a lot less durability than the Atlas. It'll be more like driving a Victor than an Atlas.

edit: gently caress, I've got it bad. If the PHX allows 315 engines, I know exactly how I'm going to build a PHX-1. What the gently caress is wrong with me.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Feb 27, 2016

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Unrelated to all the russchat, I like how one of the Phoenix Hawks is using the Crescent Hawks color scheme.

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012
Are the Orions any good? Only heavies I've played are the Thunderbolts and I want to try something new, preferably IS.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Zernach posted:

Are the Orions any good? Only heavies I've played are the Thunderbolts and I want to try something new, preferably IS.

Orions are so bad they don't even have a Master guide on metamechs.

Look at Jaegermechs, Black Knights, and Quickdraws.

edit: Hey 19, any word on when Marauders will be available for c-bills/MC? FAQ page for them still says TBD

Oh Snapple! fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Feb 27, 2016

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Zernach posted:

I have a St. Ives Blues.
I had an Orion.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Zernach posted:

Theyre about as bad as the Awesome.

Sputty
Mar 20, 2005

Zernach posted:

Grasshopper 5H can run 3 LPLs, 2 of which being in really high hardpoints, and 2 medium lasers, a large XL and 4 jumpjets. Having a lot of jumpjets is really nice on some maps and for poptarting a bit behind other people.

Orions are terrible. Slow brawlers have always been bad and even with the SRM changes they don't last.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
If we ever get to IS omnimechs, I wonder how the Perseus will perform in MWO. Probably go the way of the Orion, but it's such a solid-looking killbrick that it'd be a shame for it to suck.

MadWOPR
Jan 26, 2014

Sard posted:

If we ever get to IS omnimechs, I wonder how the Perseus will perform in MWO. Probably go the way of the Orion, but it's such a solid-looking killbrick that it'd be a shame for it to suck.

Wtf are all the old mech models always pointing at, no wonder the madcat is so beloved, it's guns are pointing at the enemy

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

MadWOPR posted:

Wtf are all the old mech models always pointing at, no wonder the madcat is so beloved, it's guns are pointing at the enemy

They're just stanced as if they're in battle. I don't see the issue.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

MadWOPR posted:

Back in the day, the opse of the models was often dictated by how they were produced.
Even GW wasnt big on multi-part molds, so a pose would have been as flat as possible to fit in the mold.
Hence the many outstretched arms sideways/skywards.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Sard posted:

If we ever get to IS omnimechs, I wonder how the Perseus will perform in MWO.

Nearly all of the IS Omnis are/will be complete garbage. The Blackjack Omni will be alright (it's a heavier blackjack with a fixed engine) and the Raptor and Owens will be pretty good since they're basically the Locust and Jenner, but the best the Templar can hope for is "slightly better than the Awesome" and the Perseus will be "Just like the Orion, only slower" most of the time.

The Sunder and Avatar are complete jokes.

Only the Hauptman will be any good. It's got a laser cigar.

MadWOPR
Jan 26, 2014

Skoll posted:

They're just stanced as if they're in battle. I don't see the issue.

Most mechs are then masters of multi targeting flailing and it looks stupid

Sputty
Mar 20, 2005

While clan mechs have fixed engines and upgrades they can manage because they get clan XLs, smaller heatsinks and lighter weapons. There are still some clan mechs that are completely ruined by the omnimech rules. IS omnimechs would all be terrible using the same omnimech rules.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Sputty posted:

While clan mechs have fixed engines and upgrades they can manage because they get clan XLs, smaller heatsinks and lighter weapons. There are still some clan mechs that are completely ruined by the omnimech rules. IS omnimechs would all be terrible using the same omnimech rules.

My battletech tabletop experience is 'ohh cool mech pictures in the book' so I'm admittedly ignorant, but wouldn't this have been balanced in the original game somehow?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

What is it with people's fascinations with night maps. Yay, I get to use nightvision!

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

taqueso posted:

My battletech tabletop experience is 'ohh cool mech pictures in the book' so I'm admittedly ignorant, but wouldn't this have been balanced in the original game somehow?

IS stuff is generally cheaper and easier to get a hold of, but beyond that, not really. BV tried to balance things out but ultimately failed.

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Sunder and Avatar are complete jokes.

X-Pulse Sunder was a fun ball of death in MW4:Mercs. Paint one red and you have a combat tomato.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
What sort of problems are people having dealing with alpha strikes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Surprise Giraffe posted:

What sort of problems are people having dealing with alpha strikes?

They kill Russ before he can use up his single ton of ultra AC/5 ammo, so they must be a problem.

• Locked thread