Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

sorcerecesses canonically use evil magic to keep looking hot + sexy in a way that ageing hack author polish horndogs enjoy, so rouge is probably a given.

uh.. Yes, I agree.
And Rogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Arcsquad12 posted:

Just finished the quest involving the murder attempt on Priscilla. Jesus loving Christ.

Yeah but did you finish the quest riiiIIIIIIGGGGHHHT ARGGHH *flips desk through wall*

Spoiler-post how your quest resolved so we can either mock you or grudgingly acknowledge your witchering.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Supreme Allah posted:

Yeah but did you finish the quest riiiIIIIIIGGGGHHHT ARGGHH *flips desk through wall*

Spoiler-post how your quest resolved so we can either mock you or grudgingly acknowledge your witchering.

I looked up a walkthrough after finishing it, so AAAAARRRRRGH GOD loving DAMMIT.
I got caught up too much with the loving Eternal Fire clues that I forgot about how the murderer jumped a loving twenty foot wall.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Feb 27, 2016

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Arcsquad12 posted:

I looked up a walkthrough after finishing it, so AAAAARRRRRGH GOD loving DAMMIT.
I got caught up too much with the loving Eternal Fire clues that I forgot about how the murderer jumped a loving twenty foot wall.

I somehow didn't even end up investigating that crime scene my first playthrough :negative:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Arcsquad12 posted:

:allears:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Oh that's cool, You can actually find the person responsible for the Bear Party chained to the rock.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

twistedmentat posted:

Oh that's cool, You can actually find the person responsible for the Bear Party chained to the rock.

Yeah, I expect that punishment was a bit more than they could bear. Though I wouldn't want to harp on about it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Helith posted:

Yeah, I expect that punishment was a bit more than they could bear. Though I wouldn't want to harp on about it.

:rimshot:

sailing around in a little boat, I'm kind of reminded of Windwaker. Except Link cut less people in half.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I somehow didn't even end up investigating that crime scene my first playthrough :negative:

Same, I think I only did the other two places and after I was done with them I was pointed to go back to the coroner, so I didn't find anything odd.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Witcher 4 should be a Gaunter O'Dimm simulator

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013

Lilbeefer posted:

Witcher 4 should be a Gaunter O'Dimm simulator

I second this!

deathbysnusnu
Feb 25, 2016

I don't know, I'd get really bored of just jamming spoons into peoples eyes for 80 hours

Also, spooky poo poo, Gaunter O'Dimm chat on page 666 of the thread.

deathbysnusnu fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Feb 27, 2016

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

It would be a mirror selling simulator

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Gaunter is amazing and horrifying. I am assuming that the character has not been in any books, so whch sicko at CDPR wrote him?

The biggest problem I had regarding GO'D is that they had to make an ending for him at all. He is so irrevocably evil, and his power so omnipotent, I expected him to win the bet at the end of the game wether or not Geralt outwitted him. Next loading screen Grandpa-Dandelion narrator has to break the 4th wall for a second and apologise to the player for getting Gaunter's character profile wrong WHOOPS

I vote him most likely to return in future installments

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

fickle poofterist posted:

Gaunter is amazing and horrifying. I am assuming that the character has not been in any books, so whch sicko at CDPR wrote him?

The biggest problem I had regarding GO'D is that they had to make an ending for him at all. He is so irrevocably evil, and his power so omnipotent, I expected him to win the bet at the end of the game wether or not Geralt outwitted him. Next loading screen Grandpa-Dandelion narrator has to break the 4th wall for a second and apologise to the player for getting Gaunter's character profile wrong WHOOPS

He's so good. Even when I knew that it was possible to beat him at his own game, I still had to wrestle with whether it was even worth pissing off a creature like that, or just let him do what he wants and try to keep out of his way.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

He's speaking in Chthulish once he's finally struck down, but there are actual words in there. It goes something like: "You are primitive. You think you have defeated me, but you are wrong. I will return."

So yeah, Geralt just inconvenienced him in the end. von Everec will probably be dead and gone by the time the wheel turns for O'Dimm, but if Geralt stays as stubbornly unkillable as he usually is then they'll probably have a reunion at some point in the future.

e: I think my favorite O'Dimm moment was when he comes out of nowhere to play announcer at the wedding party. I see this plain-looking guy saunter up on stage and I think "huh, those ears look kind of famili- ohhhhhh no"

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

He's based off a Stephen King character

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

DoctorTristan posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan_Twardowski

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I'm starting to dominate with my Northern Gwent deck now that I have that dragon card that scorches + some spies, decoys, and horns.

I have a Nilfgaard deck I can play now as well but I haven't quite gotten the hang of it tactically yet. Its strength seems to be having a lot of high value cards. My Northern's decks strategy involves using spies early to get a card advantage and then basically bleeding my opponent of cards. I almost never lose with that strategy unless I get a really bad draw. I guess with the Nilfgaard one I probably want to load up on horns and high value cards and just pummel people? I'm guessing that would work okay against any deck but monster decks.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

The trickster god-spirit-thing that fucks you with your own wishes shows up in tons of real cultures, not just Stephen King (though he did provide the name) or the Christian devil.

Hell he also shows up in tons of Witcher world cultures.

Because :spooky:HE'S REAL:spooky:

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

DoctorTristan posted:

There's a bunch of influences in HoS but the name has to be a reference to Walter O'Dim (better known as Flagg), a demon-type that shows up everywhere in King's books and messes with mortals.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
With Nilfgaard, remember that you win draws. With the number of high value cards they can play, you can win in the first two rounds if you manage to bait the opponent into playing their best hand while you play just enough cards to score a draw.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

DoctorTristan posted:

I got storm of the century vibes too. Likely similar roots.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Nilfgaard also has most native medics to my recollection. Solid strategy is to bait out your opponent's spies, and then play them from your own graveyard after both of you expended decoys alongside most of hands and decks.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Just did the Morkvarg quest. Probably the weakest one I've seen so far in the game. Morkvarg is loving annoying to listen to, and running back and forth from that stupid garden is a frustrating hassle.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I hate having a ? I cannot discover. There are two in the mountains of Skellige that are inside, but I cannot figure out how to get there. I figure that its part of a quest.

And no matter what I do, I cannot beat any of the quest gwent players. They know exactly what i'm doing, so they won't play cards in round 1 and save them for round 2 and 3. Maybe I just need to switch to another deck besides Northern Kingdoms.

It's also annoying how I am missing the enhanced patterns for all the gear except Ursine.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Feb 28, 2016

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

twistedmentat posted:

I hate having a ? I cannot discover. There are two in the mountains of Skellige that are inside, but I cannot figure out how to get there. I figure that its part of a quest.
Yeah, they're main story endgame areas you go to, so don't worry about them.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

twistedmentat posted:

And no matter what I do, I cannot beat any of the quest gwent players. They know exactly what i'm doing, so they won't play cards in round 1 and save them for round 2 and 3. Maybe I just need to switch to another deck besides Northern Kingdoms.

It's also annoying how I am missing the enhanced patterns for all the gear except Ursine.

Although if it's the one up the hill from the 'haunted house' you clear with Cerys it just takes a bit of finagling with the cliff.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

GuyUpNorth posted:

Nilfgaard also has most native medics to my recollection. Solid strategy is to bait out your opponent's spies, and then play them from your own graveyard after both of you expended decoys alongside most of hands and decks.

This is pretty true. Nilf seems to be more about being secure in getting a 2-1 victory, whereas Northern is definitely geared towards a 2-0

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

I hated how at the end of the game I had 3 failed quests that were all the result of bugs of some sort.

As far as gwent goes, I dont understand how you can be that far into it and still have difficulty. Not trying to be a douche either, its just really difficult to be bad unless you missed a bunch of cards or something... have you got the lowest legal amount of cards in your deck? Weather and special cards aside, you want to be as close to 22 cards as possible. Keep removing weaker cards as you win better ones. Dont keep a 8 archer around just because is a high number, if it is your lowest card just ditch the fucker. You want all the odds stacked in favour of having cherry cards in your deck eg.the golden dragon (with ridiculous name, uses scorch to kill strongest melee), preferably no wether cards (frost sometimes), at least 2 decoys, shitloads of medics.

Try switching to Nilfgaard, I know everyone says it but it is true- the spy and medic cards are the strongest cards in the game and they have the best leader perk, that lets you steal one of their used cards (so you can steal your used spies back)

Best game ever. I agree with whoever said if they just released DLC regularly they would be happy.

lilbeefer fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Feb 28, 2016

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

My favourite feature of Wild Hunt is the innovative inventory system, where it arbitrarily keeps some quest items and by the end of the game it is so full of poo poo you cant sell or do aything with and also takes 20 seconds to load

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

The worst part of NG+ is to get all diagrams and do all the crafting again :(

I am doing a completionist, no stone unturned run. Guess this is going to be hard.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Transmetropolitan posted:

The worst part of NG+ is to get all diagrams and do all the crafting again :(

I am doing a completionist, no stone unturned run. Guess this is going to be hard.

I think im in the minority but I relish the fresh start. I will occasionally play halfway through a game like skyrim or something and start thinking it would be cool to have a clean slate and try a different build. I always end up back at generic archer swordguy who can shoot poo poo-tier fireballs tho, which is sort of what Geralt is at the start :v:

I dont mind hunting all the potions and stuff because thats sorta what the game is about. I can understand it being a pain in the rear end in a top hat if you are a completionist though. I finally found superior beast in some random attic in Novigrad just before the point of no return of the game.

lilbeefer fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Feb 28, 2016

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

I think im in the minority but I relish the fresh start

I actually agree with the sentiment. The NG+ mode feels weird for me in terms of progression; I think it would be rather more interesting to reset your level but give all your skill points/diagrams/recipes/stuff from the imported save.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Finally got around to finishing the DLC for the first time.

It's really good. Like almost scary good.

I also finally was able to dump enough money into that goddamn rune guy to get the highest tier. There's some interesting buffs available there. Does anyone have trip reports from using that guy's stuff? Like the vitality regen into bonus damage one, or the use a sign and charge up your weapon one? I was semi interested in putting the vitality one on Iris and seeing how that meshes with Iris's buff.

Crazygamer
Dec 29, 2008

Ice Fist posted:

Finally got around to finishing the DLC for the first time.

It's really good. Like almost scary good.

I also finally was able to dump enough money into that goddamn rune guy to get the highest tier. There's some interesting buffs available there. Does anyone have trip reports from using that guy's stuff? Like the vitality regen into bonus damage one, or the use a sign and charge up your weapon one? I was semi interested in putting the vitality one on Iris and seeing how that meshes with Iris's buff.

I've used the magic sword one. Aard makes the next hit stagger, igni is fire damage, yrden applies the slowdown, axii applies a stun, and quen is life steal. Igni strikes are really fun because you use a flaming sword. I don't know if yrden strikes will materialize a wraith, though.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

I hated how at the end of the game I had 3 failed quests that were all the result of bugs of some sort.

As far as gwent goes, I dont understand how you can be that far into it and still have difficulty. Not trying to be a douche either, its just really difficult to be bad unless you missed a bunch of cards or something... have you got the lowest legal amount of cards in your deck? Weather and special cards aside, you want to be as close to 22 cards as possible. Keep removing weaker cards as you win better ones. Dont keep a 8 archer around just because is a high number, if it is your lowest card just ditch the fucker. You want all the odds stacked in favour of having cherry cards in your deck eg.the golden dragon (with ridiculous name, uses scorch to kill strongest melee), preferably no wether cards (frost sometimes), at least 2 decoys, shitloads of medics.

Try switching to Nilfgaard, I know everyone says it but it is true- the spy and medic cards are the strongest cards in the game and they have the best leader perk, that lets you steal one of their used cards (so you can steal your used spies back)

Best game ever. I agree with whoever said if they just released DLC regularly they would be happy.

Nope fair enough. There is probably some mechanic that I'm missing that's making it harder than it shoudl be. It's not unlike Caravan in Fallout New Vegas. I'll try switching to Nilff and see how I do.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Ice Fist posted:

I was thinking of getting all the mastercrafted bear armour and using the rune that treats any armor as if it was light to be super overpowered, but then I decided that because I'm a massive dweeb and love roleplaying it would make a lot more sense for Geralt to use the wolf set. Went with auto-quen in the end which is pretty cool if you're a lazy gently caress like me who can't be assed pressing a button.

Incendiary Pig
Nov 3, 2006

Totally out of control
Picked this up yesterday and I'm only a couple hours in. I can't quite figure out an exact reason why I don't like this game, but I don't like this game. It's just.... Not good to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Holy crap, the cutscene right after the shipwreck in Blood and Stone is a great illustration on how much of bad rear end Geralt is.