Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

The secret to fishing is that it's not a "Spam click to keep the green bar up" it's "Delicately tap and hold click to keep the green bar over the fish." Or, at least, that's the realization that let me fish good.

Walking on plants seems fine, since I do that all day and nothing bad has happened. Or, maybe it made all of my plants grow slower and I didn't notice. Who knows!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

A fuckin crow ate one of my parsnips!!!!

I have a scarecrow now. In my head I've named him Walter.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Fishing is easy, dont think I've lost one yet. Key is to hold the mouse button and not click it, once you get the hang of it you can't lose.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Build a scarecrow :cool:

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Music Theory posted:

The secret to fishing is that it's not a "Spam click to keep the green bar up" it's "Delicately tap and hold click to keep the green bar over the fish." Or, at least, that's the realization that let me fish good.

So far I've found neither to work all that well, I don't know if its just a weird bug I'm having (which I doubt because my girlfriend has also been frustrated by this exact same issue) but on both mouse and keyboard and an xobx 360 controller the bar seems to go up WAY too fast, its basically impossible to keep it anywhere because tapping it even delicately causes it to shoot up and letting go for even a second brings it down to the bottom pretty much instantly. I'm still using my lovely bamboo rod though so would that have something to do with it? I can't imagine it would but just in case

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
it was day three I can't craft the strawman yet!!!

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
parsnips are bad, potatoes are better.

things to stockpile: slime, wood, rocks, COAL, copper ore, get one piece of each forage (ex. dandelions, horseradish). Save a gold item food for summer.

I barely bother with the villagers, I just go give however I like one gift and either cut trees or beat up monsters.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Farming TV channel message about summer exclusive fish for those on the hunt:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/VodeAndreas/screenshot/318998465884358640

Really enjoying this so far. Don't have any livestock yet but I've upgraded nearly all my tools instead and gone heavy on the renewable crops for summer to hopefully build up some capital and have some livestock before winter.

DoBoMi
Feb 16, 2014

Oenis posted:

You get some occasionally from smashing rocks I think? And in the mine, every couple of levels there'll be some tracks running through the level, follow them to the end and there'll be a minecart you can click that drops like 5-10.

God damnit.. I never looted those minecarts...

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

mcvey posted:

Fishing is easy, dont think I've lost one yet. Key is to hold the mouse button and not click it, once you get the hang of it you can't lose.

Build a scarecrow :cool:

Huh, for me, fish tend to float around in the middle, so I have to do a constant tap of the mouse to keep it from falling without gaining any height - if I hold it for any period of time it'll shoot straight up like a rocket, and once it gets too fast it becomes difficult to control, bouncing off the top or bottom.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Nameless Pete posted:

Oh man, just noticed that Abigail has a Chrono Trigger poster in her room. Guess that settles who I'm marrying.

Was thinking about marrying the trailer chick but considering my farmer is literally Crono guess I know who I'm marrying now.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Better than one of your beanpoles. :negative:

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Is there any drawback to eating raw fish?

E: also what should I do with this juicy wad of bug flesh, sell it?

Pirate Radar fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Feb 27, 2016

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
I have really fond childhood memories of playing Harvest Moon on the SNES with my little sister and my mom watching/helping plan out the fields.

I also played a version on the GBC infrequently, but that was it.

I'm feeling super nostalgic right now, so I may give this a try. Does it play okay with keyboard/mouse?

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
You goddamned emo poo poo why do you dislike flowers and soda, I am not buying you sashimi I am not made of money

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012

Psykmoe posted:

I have really fond childhood memories of playing Harvest Moon on the SNES with my little sister and my mom watching/helping plan out the fields.

I also played a version on the GBC infrequently, but that was it.

I'm feeling super nostalgic right now, so I may give this a try. Does it play okay with keyboard/mouse?

That's exactly the itch it's gonna scratch. Can only recommend. KB+M controls are great, haven't played with a controller and haven't missed it yet.

Chantilly Say posted:

Is there any drawback to eating raw fish?

E: also what should I do with this juicy wad of bug flesh, sell it?

the tooltip tells you what's gonna happen, beyond raw sap I haven't seen bad food yet.

you can either sell it or later craft fishing bait with it (1 to 5 bait). But if you're going to the mine as much as you should, you'll be swimming in more than enough anyway, so sell ahead and buy some more parsnips or the backpack upgrade.

Oenis fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Feb 27, 2016

Princey
Mar 22, 2013
Does anybody know how to plant or place things when using a controller? KB+M controls are great, but I like laying back while I play. Everything works just fine with the controller, except when I tried to put down a chest or plant my bean poles, I had to grab my mouse to do it. I feel like I'm missing something.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Princey posted:

Does anybody know how to plant or place things when using a controller? KB+M controls are great, but I like laying back while I play. Everything works just fine with the controller, except when I tried to put down a chest or plant my bean poles, I had to grab my mouse to do it. I feel like I'm missing something.

If you're using an xbox controller, to plant seeds, use the 'A' button when you are holding them. You can just hold it down and run over the tilled soil.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Princey posted:

It's A to plant, not Y.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
I love this game. When can I start mining, though? I'm still getting used to not having the indicators for people like in the new games.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

Princey posted:

I think if you click right stick it turns it into a mouse joystick. Or something like that. I tried using controller for a couple of minutes then switched back to KB+M because I was too anxious to play to try to figure out the controller scheme with no diagram. The game is great, but it needs a tutorial or some instructions. Hopefully spergs will fill up the wiki soon.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

My farm is coming along :3:

Things that seem expensive at first really aren't once you get a bit into the mine. I make mayo every day from eggs and I've set up that little sprinkler area for supported crops and eventually I'll use the better ones to make a lot of fields automated so I don't have to water so much myself. Its fall now however so my priority is setting up a barn before winter hits and getting some cows so I can make a bit of money without my crops. When summer comes along I want to plant an orchard further down.

This game is real good you guys.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Ahahahahahahahahaha I just met the Wizard.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib
I've been a sucker for HM games (I really should work on Story of Seasons again...) so I picked this up just to give it a shot, having lurked this thread for months now.

Three hours later I'm cursing at my stomach to stop rumbling for food and let me play my parsnip-and-potato growing simulator in peace.

Game owns, people. I, too, am trying to figure out how to place chests/furnaces/scarecrows on the 360 pad, but otherwise I highly recommend.

(Also the arcade game actually being a twin-stick shooter is a nice touch, though Stardew Valley crashed on me in the middle of level 3 while using my 360 pad. Just a heads up for those thinking of trying it out.)

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Is there a quick way to check prices without going to the vendor? I wanna double-check what a furnace needs but I don't wanna go all the way over there

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

ShadowedFlames posted:

Game owns, people. I, too, am trying to figure out how to place chests/furnaces/scarecrows on the 360 pad, but otherwise I highly recommend.

For me I had to use the right stick cursor to place things down like campfires, but seeds would work on button press. Pretty lame, but it's doable.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Coop, I mean coop. :saddowns:

The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH
When can you find leeks? Its day 17 of spring and I haven't seen a single one. Can't find Leah ever either Pretty sure she has holed up in her house for weeks now.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

The_Angry_Turtle posted:

When can you find leeks? Its day 17 of spring and I haven't seen a single one. Can't find Leah ever either Pretty sure she has holed up in her house for weeks now.

I've seen Leah at the saloon a couple times.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

A movement speed mod can't come fast enough

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Played this until midnight last night. Now I'm in work and I'm going out to dinner with people but I just want to work on my farm.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Where exactly are people foraging? The backwoods didn't have much, a few plants had berries mid spring, I've only leveled up the skill from using tools.

Is there a way to get into the ??? Forest?

The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH
hm..

Do spring onions grow into leeks if you water them?

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

TheWhiteNightmare posted:

A movement speed mod can't come fast enough

I looked all over in the unpacked xml files and saw nothing related to movement speed. I don't think a movement speed mod could come out until we get a modding API :(

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

So, this is important: do items or foods spoil in your inventory or anything?

Because that is the worst HM mechanic.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

StrangeAeon posted:

So, this is important: do items or foods spoil in your inventory or anything?

Because that is the worst HM mechanic.

nope.

Demiurge4 posted:

My farm is coming along :3:

did you went with the tiller upgrade or the animal upgrade?

Tired Moritz fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Feb 27, 2016

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Is there any point to fishing all of this trash out of my pond? Aside from catching the occasional can of Jojo cola.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Is there a better way to make easy fast money than buying out all the parsnip seeds you can for 20g each then selling them all

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
can someone spoil for me when there is an ending that is like 'YOU MADE X friends' or whatever

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
So back in the day I used Cheat Engine to modify the clock speed of an emulated HM64 because it ran WAY too fast (think it had something to do with FPS? don't remember). In the end I was able to do whatever the hell I wanted to the clock, even slowing it down so days were like 10x longer than they should've been.

I'm looking into doing something similar here but its a pain in the rear end. I may have found the memory location of the clock (it's slow, lined up with the clock increments, and set to increment by 10), but the hard part now is figuring out how to actually slow it down without breaking EVERYTHING because its actually a bunch of poo poo intertwined.

If I make any progress I'll mention it in the thread though.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012

The_Angry_Turtle posted:

You can find them randomly all spring long. Check the little path north of your farm leading to the carpenter and the area around the bus stop on the way to the city. Also in the forest south of your farm, but that area is huge. Leah hangs out mostly by the lake to the west of her cabin I've found. She enjoys "healthy" foodstuffs [spoiler]salad, goat cheese, stir-fry, wine, among others[spoiler] if you wanna give her gifts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
I have a feeling if you ran faster or the clock moved slower you'd run out of poo poo to do way faster since the speed/time blocks make it so you kinda have to section off what you do each day in specific areas

Its not like you need to talk to everyone every single day and you have a weekly cap on gifts so you can divide up your time quite nicely