Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

hailthefish posted:

More like X Stillbirth.

I never empty-quote, but goddamn, this is thread title material

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
So, due to masochism, I had a couple more playthroughs of afterbirth, people have added more ships, they are pretty good, what I expected from the engine and its way of putting modules together. we also have an elephant and the other split bigships, all sharing the same model still though, or at least thats what it looks like. xenon seem to have got a new xl ship, or someone made one, its also nice, the plots still a jankfest, but thats what save editors are for, not to mention straight editing the xml's by hand. essentially, the modding scene is ironing out the stuff thats the most dire, as well as adding new content, we are still stuck in the skunk usually, but the excellent capship bridges mod, while not being as functional as it could be, still makes a nice change.

My opinion, is wait till X4 or just load up on wacky mods & try to take over the universe.

Home of light just went live, lets go see whats new?

Ooooooh. Purple.

Edit 2 : Aw Yisss,its those purple geometric guys.

staberind fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Feb 26, 2016

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe

staberind posted:

So, due to masochism, I had a couple more playthroughs of afterbirth, people have added more ships, they are pretty good, what I expected from the engine and its way of putting modules together. we also have an elephant and the other split bigships, all sharing the same model still though, or at least thats what it looks like. xenon seem to have got a new xl ship, or someone made one, its also nice, the plots still a jankfest, but thats what save editors are for, not to mention straight editing the xml's by hand. essentially, the modding scene is ironing out the stuff thats the most dire, as well as adding new content, we are still stuck in the skunk usually, but the excellent capship bridges mod, while not being as functional as it could be, still makes a nice change.

My opinion, is wait till X4 or just load up on wacky mods & try to take over the universe.

Home of light just went live, lets go see whats new?

Ooooooh. Purple.

Edit 2 : Aw Yisss,its those purple geometric guys.

The Kha'ak

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
the very same. some of them and a P basically chewed my hull to half. I'm glad I brought an L.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hySENB0kQzw As I said before, they are sparing no expense polishing this into an extremely shiny turd.

yes, I spent more monies on the turd, what of it?

staberind fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Feb 26, 2016

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

If I've never played either, is it worth getting the new X Rebirth over X3: Goldbox (to get TC and Albion)?

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Definitely not, Rebirth is still pretty lovely and TC/Albion are great.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Rebirth is actually playable with the newer patches, at least. I haven't played the new dlc yet, but the general jank and ai problems have been toned down a lot and it runs a shitload better. Not having to walk around stations is nice. The plot is still broken and requires cheating or hours of dumb busywork, but that's par for the course for X.

That said, I still wouldn't recommend it unless it's on sale, and the dlcs are required if you want anywhere near the content of TC or AP. In the same vein, if your interest in these games is empire building, also just go for TC or AP, because in Rebirth it's an unfun chore.

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe
Recommended mods for X Rebirth? Bear in mind, the last time I played was at release and the mission to buy Energy Cells bugged, or at least my freighter bugged and couldn't dock and therefore couldn't get the cells.
So I'm basically a new player.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Crusader posted:

If I've never played either, is it worth getting the new X Rebirth over X3: Goldbox (to get TC and Albion)?

Get TC+Albion and then play Albion. It is the best X game.

Forget about Rebirth. It never happened.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Robzilla posted:

Recommended mods for X Rebirth? Bear in mind, the last time I played was at release and the mission to buy Energy Cells bugged, or at least my freighter bugged and couldn't dock and therefore couldn't get the cells.
So I'm basically a new player.

If you're serious about giving it a go, then for sure get Capship bridges and the cheat menu (mainly to get out of dumb parts of the plot. If you're avoiding the plot it's a non-issue and you don't need it.) Beyond that, there are several trader mods that all seem pretty decent. I would also recommend auto crew so you don't have to hunt for people on stations and gamble on them not sucking. There's a few other QoL mods like Hull+ and a couple of text and ui formatting mods that are nice to have, but it's nothing like X3 in terms of required mods so you can get away with whatever really.

Edit:VVVVV Butter Ranges is a must, forgot that.

Psycho Landlord fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Feb 28, 2016

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
Butter ranges
Remote agent buyer mod thing. This lets you just buy agents without playing the mini game
Player jump drive.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

darkhand posted:

Butter ranges
Remote agent buyer mod thing. This lets you just buy agents without playing the mini game
Player jump drive.

not player jump drive, you can get a jd in the game now, also, nesa is part of the game, in a janked way, so I think adding nesa is fine (lol)

butter ranges and butter rewards, plus, xenon hunt,

they have a new weapon mods system, its alright, but melting and making new mods is a mess, you need to melt 5 mods to make a new one, and that new one is completly random, so of course is going to be a save scum-fest.

for what its worth, albion is still the x game to play. I'm just a masochist.
As far as plot fuckups are concerned, use a save editor on the two times you are required to do something. also to make sure you have enough drones, (construction & cargo)
the "buy energy cells" mission seems to work fine.
aka, put 300 food into the rahanas, and build a station, put all the wares you need on the construction ship, don't leave the area until the first part of the plot station is complete.
for the plot, after that, you really don't need it.

other good mods, re-usable construction ships and build shipyards.

I started a new "explore dis place" on very hard game and its predictably harsh,

staberind fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Feb 29, 2016

Orv
May 4, 2011
This is kind of a bizarre question, but does anyone remember a series of X3 LPs, couldn't begin to tell you the age but I believe they were on an old-rear end phpbb, but it might have been on the egosoft boards. Player basically turned the game inside out and explained a lot of stuff along the way, think they started with just a space suit and a damaged ship and went from there.

E: Found 'em, just one of those very specific google search issues.

Orv fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Mar 1, 2016

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Robzilla posted:

The Kha'ak

Or, as the computer would say, THE CARK!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Robzilla posted:

So I noticed on Steam that they were actually releasing DLC for the piece of poo poo known as X Rebirth.

Am I pants-on-head retarded to wish this game would be fixed?

Or will it forever be known to me as X Afterbirth?

I bought the DLC

It and the 4.0 patch add some stuff. The new sectors are kind of nice and give you more space to play around, toride in particular is loving enormous and quite cool to navigate, it has these mostly invisible wormholes that teleport you around and you can find them by scanning.

The weapon mods are also pretty cool, esentially they add random modifiers to different stats of your weapons, I've got one that fits on the laser chaingun thing and triples the fire rate, as well as one that lets me fire the maser forever. Quite fun, doesn't make up for the lack of weapon variety but it's a cool addition in and of itself.

The game is better, it's just still not X3, suffers badly from a sheer lack of content compared to the previous games, but as the previous games were basically built over like a decade or something? I dunno what you could really do to achieve that in modern fidelity.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
Was anyone aware that some one has made a mod to pilot another ship? its still early days, but Modder's Skunk Overhaul Is quite smexy.

a major overhaul is getting quite mature as well, Conquest and War in Rebirth

staberind fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Mar 6, 2016

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

That actually looks hella good

http://staticdelivery.nexusmods.com/mods/154/images/456-0-1443114073.jpg
I'd fly the hell out of that.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I finally sat down to puzzle out vanilla X3TW gameplay, made it up to getting my third ship. I notice that I can give orders to my other ships. Who am I giving orders to? The ship computer? Or does the game just give pilot AI to any ship I acquire? Do I pretend I hired a pilot who is working for free and teleports to my other ship if I want to switch?

Also I'm seeking some advice on how to experience the game before seeking mods.
  • Play the game all the way through, then look for mods if wanting a second play.
  • Play the game until I grasp the basics, then get a popular modpack.
  • Play the game until I run into something annoying, then look for a mod to patch that annoyance, repeat.
I'm not looking for a definitive answer here, just something to break the paralysis of wondering what the heck I should be doing. I've read the OP, but I figure it's pretty out of date at this point.

I'll say this much, I tried recently to play Space Rangers as a wealthy trader who finances the fight against the pirates and dominators, but the game definitely funnels you into fighter gameplay, which is fine, but it's what it's good at. This one actually seems like it'd excel at the whole "bankroll a war" type of thing, especially with Litcube's Universe.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

doctorfrog posted:

I finally sat down to puzzle out vanilla X3TW gameplay, made it up to getting my third ship. I notice that I can give orders to my other ships. Who am I giving orders to? The ship computer?

Yep, that ship has a betty as well, its not especially sophisticated, but it can fly the ship to a certain point or dock. if you want more sophisticated controls, you need to put more software, ("'wares") onto it.

doctorfrog posted:

Or does the game just give pilot AI to any ship I acquire? Do I pretend I hired a pilot who is working for free and teleports to my other ship if I want to switch?
Some mods actually do this, like explorer's or traders, they gain experience and become better at what they do, leaving you to focus on other things, however, they are also under threat depending on your standings.

doctorfrog posted:

Also I'm seeking some advice on how to experience the game before seeking mods.
  • Play the game all the way through, then look for mods if wanting a second play.
  • Play the game until I grasp the basics, then get a popular modpack.
  • Play the game until I run into something annoying, then look for a mod to patch that annoyance, repeat.
I'm not looking for a definitive answer here, just something to break the paralysis of wondering what the heck I should be doing. I've read the OP, but I figure it's pretty out of date at this point.

Practically all the X games give you a sandbox, the various missions are there to get you started, but at the end of the day, those missions teach you the basics, the core of the game is just surviving in that universe in whatever way you can get away with.
Its up to you to find a niche to fit your playstyle,
personally I start as a dirty vagabond and slowly grind up standings until most races,
(xenon and khak are always set to enemy, vanilla at least.), tolerate me in their space, eventually I end up with a few fleets of massive ships, then I pick an area and claim it as my own.
I'd imagine your third choice fits that ok.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Thanks!

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Quick question: In AP, is that damned war already raging at the beginning of the game, or do things stay fairly peaceful until you intentionally begin some of the main quest missions?

I have hundreds of hours invested in TC, but only a few dozen in AP, and I haven't touched either in a couple years.

I'm really itching to reinstall one (probably AP, for all the obvious reasons) and play a low-combat game, slowly building up a trading/manufacturing empire. I want to be able to let it run in the background while I get some writing done, letting my automated traders earn in real-time and jumping in when I'm bored or when there's trouble.

As much as I'd like to go with the obvious choice of AP, I wonder if TC might not be a better option for me. I just want a fairly quiet western slice of Argon space, with occasional pirate raids and rapid response fleets ready to jump in when things get too rowdy, and with no big wars or station-destroying gently caress-off invasions going on. I want the dynamic economy without the entire universe's political situation ready to crumble if the RNG decides to get lovely.

Anything obvious thoughts or ideas that would sway me one way or another when choosing which game to reinstall?

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

Trustworthy posted:

Quick question: In AP, is that damned war already raging at the beginning of the game, or do things stay fairly peaceful until you intentionally begin some of the main quest missions?

I have hundreds of hours invested in TC, but only a few dozen in AP, and I haven't touched either in a couple years.

I'm really itching to reinstall one (probably AP, for all the obvious reasons) and play a low-combat game, slowly building up a trading/manufacturing empire. I want to be able to let it run in the background while I get some writing done, letting my automated traders earn in real-time and jumping in when I'm bored or when there's trouble.

As much as I'd like to go with the obvious choice of AP, I wonder if TC might not be a better option for me. I just want a fairly quiet western slice of Argon space, with occasional pirate raids and rapid response fleets ready to jump in when things get too rowdy, and with no big wars or station-destroying gently caress-off invasions going on. I want the dynamic economy without the entire universe's political situation ready to crumble if the RNG decides to get lovely.

Anything obvious thoughts or ideas that would sway me one way or another when choosing which game to reinstall?

The war in AP is on from the get-go, but it's confined to a few sectors in the far east of the map and it never spreads. Don't explore those sectors (or blacklist those sectors so your idiot traders don't blunder into the crossfire) and you'll be fine. If you're staying in western Argon space, no worries whatsoever.

I think the Argon Peacekeeper starts in the war zone, so if you want to dodge that, pick another start.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

Trustworthy posted:

You can also get a mod to stop the war, so you can enjoy all the benefits of ap, and also mod in the plot missions of tc. you get the best(?) of both then.
Or, keep the war, and add a bailing mod, so there is a small chance of ships randomly bailing in the war sectors, to supplement your income/fleet, if you think thats cheaty, you can have other salvagers on the lookout as well.

npc bailing addon, improved races 2, and so on here http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=216690

TC>AP plots, its a little different now. http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=324236

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Is there a mod to let the war spill into other sectors, even threatening to take over the whole dang map?

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

doctorfrog posted:

Is there a mod to let the war spill into other sectors, even threatening to take over the whole dang map?

Have a prospering universe with everyone getting along fine and dandy, or don't, instill treachery, or a constant state of hellish warfare, turning the agitation up from cold war. between a variety of races. :doom: :dota101: :smugissar:
Improved Races 2.0

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

This is getting closer to what I wanted, some kind of fusion between Elite and Space Rangers 2, a trade universe with shifting borders and growing threats.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I noticed recently that there's DLC for X: Rebirth. I assume that I shouldn't get all sunk cost fallacy and buy the DLC, because Rebirth is still bad?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

MechaCrash posted:

I noticed recently that there's DLC for X: Rebirth. I assume that I shouldn't get all sunk cost fallacy and buy the DLC, because Rebirth is still bad?

It's less bad than before, but it's still probably not going to be the game you want it to be. They've fixed up some of the more annoying elements but the fundamental game is still the same.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
I bought it. just because for some strange reason, supporting them so they might just make X4:Reconception, seems to be a good idea, as they and the modding community have made awesome games.

of course rebirth is still poo poo, for the same reasons, but they made their version of NESA, gave us a couple more places to zoom around in, gave us access to some stuff that was in the base game.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
This has historically been kind of the "talk about space sims sort of like the X games" thread. Starpoint Gemini 2 is launching another game called Starpoint Gemini 2: Warlords. It looks like they're putting in a lot of the resources, building, trade, territory control, and fleet stuff that we liked in X3. They'll be going through Steam Early Access; there's a listing now but no purchase ability. SPG2 was a fun arcade space game with more depth than I expected but less than I would have like, so I hope it goes somewhere.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
That is pretty exciting. I enjoyed SG2 a fair amount though I didn't stick to it. I agree it has potential to be a good base to build a more X-like game. Has anybody played it with all the DLCs? Do they make it worth re-visiting? In any case, warlords definitely bears watching.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I doubt I've gotten to the parts where the DLC changes anything, but I'm enjoying it well enough. Trading is a decent way to make money if you have a ship with enough space, and you want to do something that doesn't require you to pay a whole lot of attention. This has the same problem Rebel Galaxy did, where theoretically you can make money as a trader, but in practice the volume of goods you'd need to move in order to make a comfortable living simply does not exist. X3 has a similar issue, but that's basically a big flashing "build factories, get rich" sign, and factories don't exist in Starpoint Gemini 2 or Rebel Galaxy.

I wouldn't call SPG2 "arcadey," really, more "consoley," sort of a midpoint between Rebel Galaxy's actiony broadside-based combat and X3's big ship and turret based combat.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

DancingMachine posted:

That is pretty exciting. I enjoyed SG2 a fair amount though I didn't stick to it. I agree it has potential to be a good base to build a more X-like game. Has anybody played it with all the DLCs? Do they make it worth re-visiting? In any case, warlords definitely bears watching.

Don't get too over excited about Warlords yet. Someone on the Steam forums has been pressuring the devs to ask whether you'd get to play with fleets and it seems like they're still going with the usual mercenary/player ship feel of prior games.

Which is dumb. And hopefully something that doesn't make it to release. One of the reasons why X3:AP is so awesome is that it literally doesn't limit you. It's basically the Skyrim of space sims since it just creates a world that lets you theoretically do just about anything so long as you're willing to mod it.

It's been mentioned before but if you're looking for a mix of X3 and a war game the modder Anarkis made a top down X3 clone called Unending Galaxy after he was so dis-satisfied with how Rebirth turned out. It's super simplified and removes a lot of the tedium from the game. IE: No more getting six different things to produce weapons and ammo and such. Though the simplified economy might be a turn off for some people. It also plays like a version of a space sim where you can switch to a RTS mode at any time.

Dude's been working on it for a long time now and barring a few unstable releases at launch it's pretty good. It even has fairly fully featured mod making tools included with it. Which is :psyduck: for an indie game that's going to have a really niche market to begin with. The next update or two now that it's released on Steam should pad out the content and depth as well. It's getting an unfocused jump drive type of system, research for your faction, and improved military content.

Edit: What are some good modern mods for X3:AP that expand the world? I'm thinking things like Improved Races. The lack of a database of mods outside of the forums makes it a royal pain to keep track of what mod does what.

XRM and X-Tended are good ones, I know. I tend to favor the stuff that expands the content and depth of the world. IE: Turn it into a living, breathing, dynamic place instead of the well crafted static illusion it tends to be. Wars are fun for that, obviously. I also use stuff like the Defense and Fleet system mods to pad out and lessen the burden of the crappy interface.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Apr 8, 2016

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Archonex posted:

One of the reasons why X3:AP is so awesome is that it literally doesn't limit you. It's basically the Skyrim of space sims since it just creates a world that lets you theoretically do just about anything so long as you're willing to mod it.

In my head I pictured the Dragonborn hiring a Mammoth to haul an adventurer's guild into Solitude. It takes in food and booze and produces adventurers, which neighboring towns will buy for a profit.
It starts out innocently enough, but soon you have massive sprawling complexes made up of farms, breweries, adventurer guilds, mage academies, staff factories, lumber mills, all just crowding around the center of town and connected to each other with pipes. There's no farmers, there's no water going in, no input of any kind, but the whole thing just keeps on spitting out fully-trained battlemages at an alarming rate. Then Dragonborn just picks them all up and erases every trace of life on Tamriel.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Sometimes I listen to the X3 soundtrack when I'm on an airplane

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoYQ91mjM9k

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Pochoclo posted:

In my head I pictured the Dragonborn hiring a Mammoth to haul an adventurer's guild into Solitude. It takes in food and booze and produces adventurers, which neighboring towns will buy for a profit.
It starts out innocently enough, but soon you have massive sprawling complexes made up of farms, breweries, adventurer guilds, mage academies, staff factories, lumber mills, all just crowding around the center of town and connected to each other with pipes. There's no farmers, there's no water going in, no input of any kind, but the whole thing just keeps on spitting out fully-trained battlemages at an alarming rate.
Then Dragonborn just picks them all up and erases every trace of life on Tamriel.

You joke, but the mod community lets you set up businesses through a large number of mods that let you do everything from own a farm, a mine, to even having extremely detailed mead production and sale.

Hell, there's even an archaeological society you can create a nearly ever expanding museum out of. Or just add your characters from other saves into the game world to act as enemies/allies/villagers/little warlords/whatever.

Hell, some of the older (and currently defunct) war and conquest mods basically let you industrialize the murder of all NPC life in the game. You could just keep hiring mercenaries and furnish hiring more through the looting of all of their kills and the sales of booze with the aforementioned business mods as the city guards try to stop you. Meanwhile your explorer's and archaeologists from the archaeological society can pick through the mountains of corpses for something nice to add to a display rack in a museum and produce more resources to make cash for more mercenaries ad infinitum.

Eventually you'll run out of things to murder outside of guards, but at that point does it even matter? You've basically created a self-running apocalypse machine that runs on intangible/useless goods.

X3 and Skyrim are like the penultimate reasons why mod communities and tools are great and terrible.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Apr 9, 2016

Dirtybilly
Jul 27, 2013

Any concepts or attempts at pirating? Any tips or tricks for running a rags to reaches attempt picking on a particular faction pirating them and cornering market and power while carving a target?

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Dirtybilly posted:

Any concepts or attempts at pirating? Any tips or tricks for running a rags to reaches attempt picking on a particular faction pirating them and cornering market and power while carving a target?

Yeah I've always wanted to try a pirate run where I just pick a faction to bully but I can never figure out which would be best.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey there, I've got a little dilemma on my hands regarding getting my space-sim fix, and I have the below three options available to me (other than simply doing nothing), listed below. Keep in mind I've played a couple hundred hours of X3:TC back in 2011-2012, so this series isn't unfamiliar to me.

1) Get X3:AP and play a new game in that (although is it worth getting, as a current owner of X3:TC on Steam?)
2) Go back and play X3:TC (although this has a dilemma in itself...do I continue my old game as an illegal drug+alcohol baron with the Aran and a Deimos -among other things- or do I start a new game? Urgh)
3) Get the new Elite: Dangerous 'Horizons' expansion pack and play that, so I can mess around on the surface of planets and the like. (although obviously this is a little out-of-scope for this thread, however any input on whether the expansion is really worth it or not would be appreciated, for those who have tried it. I like it as a combat-oriented game, but it just simply doesn't have X3's depth)

So yeah, I suppose mainly I'm wondering about whether it's worth upgrading to X3:AP at this point, or if I should just stick to what I've already got. (or just move on to the newer game, of the three...)
Thanks for any insight on the topic, and apologies in advance about perhaps not presenting my question in the best/most coherent way!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

X3: Albion Prelude 3.0 - The best space game actually out

• Locked thread