Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Jee-Han's ability is way broken even beyond the fact he can instantly learn stuff. Gaia turns all of the costs of these spells into generic "MP" or mana (bypassing expected limits or costs), and since he instantly knows it he casts it perfectly each time without fail. And abilities having levels likely allows them to bypass whatever expected effectiveness cap they have. Jee-han can effectively do anything if he's provided token amounts of training or has a handful of books thrown at him.

I think it's weird that he hasn't sat down and realized that he's basically 1/3rd the level of an apparently neigh-immortal mage who's feared in the abyss.

...in like 3-4 months? Levels slow down but it's not like he's going to have a shortage of opponents, nevermind he has a magic roguealike dungeon with increasingly tough enemies in it. Like in a year he's gonna wake up and suddenly realize he's become this massive destabilizing force in Korea's abyss- which I'm guess is where this is going.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Feb 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Fabricated posted:

...in like 3-4 months? Levels slow down but it's not like he's going to have a shortage of opponents, nevermind he has a magic roguealike dungeon with increasingly tough enemies in it. Like in a year he's gonna wake up and suddenly realize he's become this massive destabilizing force in Korea's abyss- which I'm guess is where this is going.

Yeah, Jee-Han's only limiting factor is that he needs to grind his skills, which is already an abbreviation for time spent perfecting them, not to mention he can also find ways to adapt/copy things he's seen. He's already a massive destabilizing force in the abyss for the economy due to how he gets drops.

Although a single person being a massive force in the abyss... Sounds like the Existence Eater, one of the big three powers in Korea. Jee-Han's ability affecting others is sort of like that, an Existence Overwrite. So maybe Gaia is grooming him for a replacement of that spot because it found the right person for the job with a similar skillset but one that doesn't imply reality-destruction.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Jee-Han can learn stuff instantly, but there are a bunch of people who have decades or maybe even centuries (the topic of longevity has never come up in the manwha) to learn and master that same stuff. He is the only one with skill proficiency levels, but there is no reason to think that he is the only one who can improve a base skill via practice. It is just that anyone else would also have to understand a given skill in-depth instead of just spamming it for a week straight.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Jee-Han is currently pre-ascension PunPun.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013

Serious Frolicking posted:

They can't touch books to learn the contents, no. But if learning skills via study and practice is so difficult, why would there be skill books to begin with? Jee-Han just takes a shortcut, is all. Aside from yun-hon recovery (which is normally supposed to consume the user's soul) he uses the same spells the same way as any other mage.

Its gotta be pretty difficult if they have a whole loving textbook for one spell

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Also, who says Jee-Han ages anymore? There's a possibility he's now neigh-immortal- game characters typically don't age.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Learning stuff fast is nice and all but if ive learned one thing about those kind of traits is that they are garbage once you hit the level cap. Depending on what kind of abilities strong people have he could potentially be nothing that special compared to people who are strong legitimately but have some bullshit power of their own that actually puts them above the max level.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
The series has been pretty consistent about having people who naturally trained/are born prodigies having much higher stats than is mathematically possible for Jee Han to get at that level.

JimmyT64
Oct 27, 2007
I'm Special!

BlitzBlast posted:

The series has been pretty consistent about having people who naturally trained/are born prodigies having much higher stats than is mathematically possible for Jee Han to get at that level.

Except that isn't true - Jee-Han gains stats by training, and levels by killing things and completing quests.

All the people with ridiculous stats that are impossible for Jee-Han spent ages training those stats up before killing anything. Y'know, like you would in real life.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Iretep posted:

Learning stuff fast is nice and all but if ive learned one thing about those kind of traits is that they are garbage once you hit the level cap. Depending on what kind of abilities strong people have he could potentially be nothing that special compared to people who are strong legitimately but have some bullshit power of their own that actually puts them above the max level.

if there is a level cap, plus he can max out any skill and so far he can max out any number of skills. his only limit is time

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

JimmyT64 posted:

Except that isn't true - Jee-Han gains stats by training, and levels by killing things and completing quests.

All the people with ridiculous stats that are impossible for Jee-Han spent ages training those stats up before killing anything. Y'know, like you would in real life.

I'm not sure how what you said is supposed to be proving me wrong.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

BlitzBlast posted:

I'm not sure how what you said is supposed to be proving me wrong.

If he stops leveling and focuses on grinding up stats, Jee Han could also have those mathematically impossible stats in short order, probably much faster than anyone else could thanks to his unique constitution and learning advantages.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I thought he need to get stat points (from leveling) to do that. He can't grind his stats the way he does his skills.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Yeah, I'm not sure it's possible for him to grind his stats directly. His power translates anything he does into either raw experience or skill levels, and the points he gets from levels represent whatever self-improvement he's made. He was getting experience from daily life "quests" before he was killing monsters.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Jee-Han actually did grind his stats a bit a while back. Doing physical training gave him more strength and constitution.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
He got bonus wisdom for figuring that out, too. Jee-Han can grind physical stats until he starts hitting diminishing returns, but free stat points from leveling up can be applied at any time.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Fabricated posted:

Jee-Han actually did grind his stats a bit a while back. Doing physical training gave him more strength and constitution.
Hell he's just recently been told to continue doing this by his teacher, doing physical training while doing other stuff so he can specifically get points in his str and stuff without having to put points into those stats.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
And Sun-Il even commented when he was doing it that it's pretty loving ridiculous he can lift weights, run, and cast spells at the same time to grind Strength, Agility, and Intelligence, since that is a loving stupid idea and couldn't possibly work for anyone else in the world. http://mngcow.co/The-Gamer/49/12/

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.
121 is out: http://kissmanga.com/Manga/The-Gamer/Chapter--121---Chapter-121?id=265387

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

You are... a bit late.
FYI they come out on thursdays.

joachim783
May 9, 2013
the raw is up http://comic.naver.com/webtoon/detail.nhn?titleId=552960&no=123&weekday=fri

edit: the translated chapter is up http://mngcow.co/The-Gamer/122/

joachim783 fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Mar 3, 2016

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Oh poo poo he's gonna get called out on his superpower-induced sociopathy

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

He's right though.

However hopefully this time won't just be an offhand mention and there will be actual development on this front!

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

He'd be exactly the kind of guy his new family/guild has sworn to murder. At least they caught him in time before he became a true gamer murderhobo.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

nimby posted:

He'd be exactly the kind of guy his new family/guild has sworn to murder. At least they caught him in time before he became a true gamer murderhobo.

Well, Sun-Il just got done explaining how they regularly execute people like the metal golem guy. They either killed him or refrained from doing so just for Jee-Han's sake.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Well, Sun-Il just got done explaining how they regularly execute people like the metal golem guy. They either killed him or refrained from doing so just for Jee-Han's sake.

Given that Sun-Il didn't bring it up, I'm honestly assuming he just didn't want his friend going vigilante without the backing of his clan rather than having any moral reservations about killing metal golem guy. Or maybe they're actually going to give him a trial or something, make sure they've actually got someone who's done something rather than going all Judge Dredd on his rear end.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Slime posted:

Given that Sun-Il didn't bring it up, I'm honestly assuming he just didn't want his friend going vigilante without the backing of his clan rather than having any moral reservations about killing metal golem guy. Or maybe they're actually going to give him a trial or something, make sure they've actually got someone who's done something rather than going all Judge Dredd on his rear end.

Dude was hanging out with a bunch of people he had abducted from Sun-Il's turf. If that wouldn't get someone killed, what would?

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Dude was hanging out with a bunch of people he had abducted from Sun-Il's turf. If that wouldn't get someone killed, what would?

Giving him a trial doesn't mean they won't kill him. It means they actually present evidence that he did it before cutting off his head.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Slime posted:

Giving him a trial doesn't mean they won't kill him. It means they actually present evidence that he did it before cutting off his head.

See, no one ever mentioned anything about trials. The whole idea is that there is no legal system in the abyss. In some places the local powers keep the jerks in line with the threat of force. The only reason why they came to an arrangement with Hwan Sung Gong was because he was strong enough that they couldn't easily push him around. Otherwise they would have just given him the boot if not killed him outright when Sun-Il initially confronted him.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Metal Golem guy probably had backing, it doesn't seem like you can become that powerful in the abyss by yourself. Sun-Il didn't want Jee-Han painting a target on his back by murdering the dude, it's much better for everyone if the Chunbumoon take the dude down than Jee-Han himself. That's also probably why Sun-Il immediately launched into his recruitment drive, to make sure that the next time this happens Jee-Han has the political backup he needs.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
It's good CYA basically. Now instead of "Jee-han the gamer took out thus guy because of some personal grudge or whatever" it looks like Sun-il's clan just took out some dude who was kidnapping muggles on their turf.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Fabricated posted:

It's good CYA basically. Now instead of "Jee-han the gamer took out thus guy because of some personal grudge or whatever" it looks like Sun-il's clan just took out some dude who was kidnapping muggles on their turf.

No matter the situation, the word muggles always makes me laugh.

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

http://mngcow.co/The-Gamer/123/ Back to the grind!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
And the harem king shows himself!

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

So THATS the Harem King? Huh.

Tipme
Oct 30, 2009
Hi. I'm a Chelsea fan since 2010. Please murder me with a piece of pipe. thanks.
I read it in Johnny yong Bosch's voice.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Dangit Jee-han, stop being so scared of mere weapons!

If it does not bring your HP to 0 IT ONLY MAKES YOU STRONGER!

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Stoked to see the Harem King, looking forward to seeing why Jee-Han's under his protection. The Company's a decent general antagonist too.

EponymousMrYar posted:

Dangit Jee-han, stop being so scared of mere weapons!

If it does not bring your HP to 0 IT ONLY MAKES YOU STRONGER!

It's hard to avoid the instinct that a big rear end sword is going to kill you, even with gamer's mind and the knowledge that you can tank spears to the gut and only lose hp.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Harem King looks a lot like Jee Han and that can't be a coincidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

SSNeoman posted:

Harem King looks a lot like Jee Han and that can't be a coincidence.

It is. We have been over this recently. Harem King is an unrelated character from one of the author's other works in the same setting.