Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Ramagamma posted:

Sounds like you just really hate British people.

I'm English and one of the reasons TB just annoyed me was how he played up his accent and "Britishness". Plus it can make him sound super smug. Well, that and the super smug stuff he's usually saying, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Ramagamma posted:

I'll never understand the hatred people have for TotalBiscuit, I can understand not liking him but certain people have an extreme distaste for him as if he's an utterly worthless human being. It's the sort of reaction I get when I hear Kim Kardashian or Paris Hilton being talked about and its really mystifying that people can have that much hatred.

Says more about their lives than anything TotalBiscuit ever did.

He stuck his dick in the eternal twitter war and he must pay the blood price, so must we all.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Ramagamma posted:

Sounds like you just really hate British people.
If there's one thing British people hate more than cold beer or direct sunlight, it's British people.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I would love too watch a spike lee joint featuring Nick "freak" Breckon from harlem who is five eleven and misses 19/20 of his shots.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

TetsuoTW posted:

"Less wrong than John C Dvorak" is a complement so backhanded you must be Zangief

The only things he's been consistently correct on is that the LS400 is a tank of a car and that Leo Laporte is a loving loser.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

TetsuoTW posted:

As an 80's kid myself, I find it less pandering and more a depressing realization that the 80s were thirty loving years ago.

I listened to an episode today and shared that kind of melancholy at the same time enjoying the hosts and their discussions.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Thanks Retronauts for doing a two-hour episode on Uematsu's music, I was that nerd who Limewire'd a shitload of FF music in high school (sometimes from games I hadn't even played!). I found my iPod from that era a few weeks ago and all that stuff was still on there, made for a fun day or two at work going through everything.

Also since you are homies with Kat Bailey please buy her a new microphone or audio editing software or something, every time I hear her on a podcast she's either way too loud or way too quiet, which sucks because I actually want to hear what she has to say!

E: Also thank you for remembering the Blue Dragon boss music, even though I only know it from Barkley Shut Up And Jam :allears:

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Feb 23, 2016

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

I really wanted to like Idle Weekend but I just can't put up with Rob Zacny's speaking cadence.

It's like he, umm, can't think can't think can't think about what he wants to, uhhh, say? But........... uh, that doesn't stop him from talking.

And I listen to Dave Meltzer so I can put up with some serious poo poo.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Lone Goat posted:

I really wanted to like Idle Weekend but I just can't put up with Rob Zacny's speaking cadence.

It's like he, umm, can't think can't think can't think about what he wants to, uhhh, say? But........... uh, that doesn't stop him from talking.

And I listen to Dave Meltzer so I can put up with some serious poo poo.

Now imagine what Three Moves Ahead must be like. I mean, I like the podcast (XCom 2 bitching aside), but the episodes where Rob dominates or there's fewer guests on aren't great listens.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
OK, now complain about Sarah Koenig's vocal fry and I'll have a bingo.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Phone posted:

OK, now complain about Sarah Koenig's vocal fry and I'll have a bingo.

Vocal fry is Actually Fine and doesn't make one sound like a mumbling, bumbling doofus.

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

Lone Goat posted:

Vocal fry is Actually Fine and doesn't make one sound like a mumbling, bumbling doofus.

Rob Zacny talks like a mumbling, bumbling doofus? Haha what's wrong with you

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I've never really heard other casters deliberate as much as he does whilst they speak. He's no doofus and it's a lot better than a string of ums or uhs but I can imagine someone being annoyed by his pauses.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Rob taking a second to get his wheels turning is significantly less obnoxious than "YouTube personalities" jump cutting every 4 words because they can't string together a coherent sentence, never mind two in a row. Rob's voice isn't unpleasant (Chris Kohler had a really weird sing songy cadence) and I don't find his vocal filler to be annoying.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Yeah I massively prefer him shutting up and thinking to "uuuuuuh" or the jump cuts, but in this modern day and age it's not impossible that someone would find it annoying. Then again, the likelihood of someone like that listening to 3MA in the first place is pretty low so who cares.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Does he still say y'know three times a sentence? I like Zacny but holy gently caress that is hard to listen to (he didn't do this early on in 3MA, maybe he's moved on from it by now).

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Don't start a sentence if you don't know how you're going to finish it.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Ignoring this stupid subjective argument about what voices you like, has anyone mentioned Script Lock?

https://scriptlock.simplecast.fm

It's a podcast about game writing.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
edit: whoops wrong tab

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
So has anyone gotten inordinately angry over WOFF's coverage of Soul Reaver yet?

I've never played any of those games, I don't have a dog in this race

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
With how little of Abject Suffering is actually about bad games, it's fun to have a nice hate-in every once in a while on WOFF.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

The Vosgian Beast posted:

So has anyone gotten inordinately angry over WOFF's coverage of Soul Reaver yet?

I've never played any of those games, I don't have a dog in this race

One dude went on a facebook rant before we recorded when I was publicly kvetching about it. No one has taken us to task after listening yet. We're always more worried about that than we should be, I think. There was a build up and we were braced.

That said, someone could come out of the woodwork right now and throw a bucket of blood on me, so who knows.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I haven't listened to the episode but after maybe 30 or so episodes under my belt -- plus all of Abject Suffering which I enjoy more than anything for its irreverence -- I know almost exactly how Gary and Kole will react to most games. Pre-2000 3D game heavy on exploration with zero guidance, an obtuse warping system that uses sigils instead of a map or text, combat that requires you to manipulate enemies and environment using the pre-2000 3D controls, precise platforming across massive areas where obstacles blend into the environment, and the game basically defined cliche block puzzles. Did I hit everything on the head?

The PC version is certainly the way to go but 100% is Soul Reaver a relic of its era. If that series continued I think something like Darksiders is where it would've ended up.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

al-azad posted:

I haven't listened to the episode but after maybe 30 or so episodes under my belt -- plus all of Abject Suffering which I enjoy more than anything for its irreverence -- I know almost exactly how Gary and Kole will react to most games. Pre-2000 3D game heavy on exploration with zero guidance, an obtuse warping system that uses sigils instead of a map or text, combat that requires you to manipulate enemies and environment using the pre-2000 3D controls, precise platforming across massive areas where obstacles blend into the environment, and the game basically defined cliche block puzzles. Did I hit everything on the head?

The PC version is certainly the way to go but 100% is Soul Reaver a relic of its era. If that series continued I think something like Darksiders is where it would've ended up.

Basically batted 1000.

Two things you missed that they harped on nonstop was "gently caress off with telling me to go in a cardinal direction" and "the penalty for anything is a 5 minute time out".

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

al-azad posted:

The PC version is certainly the way to go but 100% is Soul Reaver a relic of its era.

I'm pretty sure the PC version is a straight port of the PSX version (with many of the goofy console-to-PC issues of the time) whereas the Dreamcast version has nicer models and much nicer textures.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I'm pretty sure the PC version is a straight port of the PSX version (with many of the goofy console-to-PC issues of the time) whereas the Dreamcast version has nicer models and much nicer textures.

Character models are better on Dreamcast but the textures are (mostly) the same. The important part for me is stable framerate and it scales well.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Woffle posted:

One dude went on a facebook rant before we recorded when I was publicly kvetching about it. No one has taken us to task after listening yet. We're always more worried about that than we should be, I think. There was a build up and we were braced.

That said, someone could come out of the woodwork right now and throw a bucket of blood on me, so who knows.

I'm catching up and just made it through the Mega Man Legends episode without burning any of the effigies I had made up in preparation. By that measure you should be okay

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

al-azad posted:

All reasons why Soul Reaver is a terrible game, yes.

Murderist
Aug 30, 2013
I enjoy the rare WOFF total hatefest as much as anyone but by the end of this episode I just felt bad for the suffering Gary and Kole had to endure. In a just universe they could've just played for half an hour and then quit and spent the episode talkin' bout jizz or whatever.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Murderist posted:

I enjoy the rare WOFF total hatefest as much as anyone but by the end of this episode I just felt bad for the suffering Gary and Kole had to endure. In a just universe they could've just played for half an hour and then quit and spent the episode talkin' bout jizz or whatever.

I'm serious about vetting poll games more strictly so this doesn't happen with any regularity. We'll still do bad games but it's hard to have 8-10 hours of total non fun, even if it is sort of your job.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

When Soul Reaver was picked I was disappointed. Not because I played the game, but because I thought it looked like a bad game from a distance even back when it was contemporary. I carried these dumb biases into adulthood, and it is heartening to see that you guys didn't like it. Hooray for prejudice.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

You could probably save a lot of headaches by finding a youtube video midway through the game and just watching 10 minutes at a random point. Or create a checklist of pet peeves and have a friend familiar with the game fill it out. Seriously there are so many commonalities just between Sacrifice, Sword of Mana, Metroid Fusion, Tomba, and Oddworld that you could write an accurate algorithm to how much you would enjoy a particular game or not.

Although I think it's great that the polls end up being the most divisive because you're getting out of your comfort zone (would you have played 999 if it wasn't suggested?) and it holds up that games mean different things to people.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
When Soul Reaver was picked I was disappointed. Not because I played the game, but because I thought the other two options would make for more compelling episodes. Instead I was delightfully surprised by an Abject Suffering crossover. Sorry you guys had to punish yourselves to produce it but I really enjoyed the episode.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Legacy of Kain was a great series, home to lots of interesting and inventive mechanics, with an involving plot that manages to weave and twist it's way largely successfully through a truly hilarious amount of time fuckery.

I would not want to go back and actually play the games now, but I have fond memories of the series and doubt it's poll success was meant to troll Gary and Kole in any way. It's just one of those series with a significant and under-served fan-base, nostalgic enough to try and live on through others.

Pasco fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Feb 28, 2016

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I'm a big LoK fan but all those games were messed up in a lot of ways. I actually kind of avoided Soul Reaver for more than a decade just because it was such a big departure from the original game which I loved, and when I eventually got to it it was definitely long past any sort of relevancy. I still think it has a lot of great aspects to it - the voice acting, the general atmosphere, the way they stridently refuse to contradict any of the events/lore from the first game even though the developers changed, but yeah it's mainly just a game about running around in corridors that are all a marginally different shade of grey/brown/green and moving blocks and dealing with bad combat.

Soul Reaver 2 is a much better game overall, as is Defiance, but none of them are great games just from a pure design standpoint. It's all about the characters and writing which is elevated by the voice acting and Amy Hennig being great at building a unique universe.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Bloodborne is basically the modern LoK game I wanted, at least as far as atmosphere and cool monsters and lore is concerned. I'd gladly take a Tomb Raider style reboot of the series. There's still room for cheesy gothic horror in my heart.

And Blood Omen Kain is the coolest fictional vampire that sucks blood from 10 feet away and turns people inside out or melts them into diseased piles of goo.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

I was listening to that " Watch out for fireballs" podcast on morrowind and its really good, but I got to say the amount of times the word gross was used whenever slavery or something was brought up was really annoying. Like yeah, slavery is bad, the game lets you know this a lot. You don't have to constantly remind the audience that you totally think slavery is gross. It's kind of a given nowadays. Also the reluctance to say the word bitch even in a non gender connotation was really weird considering how freely they let f-bombs fly.

Man Whore fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Feb 27, 2016

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

:love: HOTLANTA :love:
IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS
gently caress is a non-gendered word. bitch is inherently gendered regardless of the context of the word being said.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

Captain Internet posted:

gently caress is a non-gendered word. bitch is inherently gendered regardless of the context of the word being said.

I don't know about that. The context of this was "Bitch, you just gave me a quest!" or "Bitch I was just there!" I forget which. It doesn't seem gendered if you are just using it as a general snappy insult that can refer to a man or a woman as opposed to someone acting "Bitchy" which always means someone acting like a lady with sass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Hey Gary and Kole, just wanna say I enjoyed listening to the last Abject Suffering. It was really cathartic for me. :unsmith:

Also wanna hear your thoughts on the Witness; any plans to do an Extra Level on that?

Adeline Weishaupt fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Feb 27, 2016

• Locked thread