Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Oath Complete!

Claiming both technical and theme challenge though obviously only one applies. The zombie covered in blood and the leaping Medusa are most of it, though technically I suppose any of the flying transports for the Scourge could count. I forgot to take a solo picture of Micheline Tendress so she is in the group shot with the Blood Bowl Amazon team I didn't oath for the month but painted anyway. She is just the giant female ogre and the little goblin running for her, so sorry for any confusion for the judges.

Just the ogre and goblin in this one

Just the ogre and goblin in this one

Some ate his Valentines heart and needs a napkin or two

For some reason the purple isn't showing but that's ok

I must admit that I am a little embarressed to have painted up the Sister Sledgehammers being cheesecake dwarves, but something about the fact they were originally made without beards spoke to me, and I just had to sculpt beards on some of them and fix the error:

Everyone done for the month in one shot

nesbit37 fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Feb 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Just checking in to make sure my Oath was okay. I phone posted and didnt notice how much lack of detail there was due to the back lighting and black primer.

dmnz
Feb 14, 2012

BNNRROWNWNWOWOWOWO
I've munted up my wrists so no more painting from me for a while.
Will have to shelve this months oath and whale save it some time down the track.

I got 1 troll done before having to stop. Here's a badly lit pic:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
OATH COMPLETE

So one of my oaths was a random Reaper Bones model that I was only using for its leaping pose and wasn't otherwise terribly invested in other than as a dungeon mook.

You know what that means, right? Time to Speed Paint this poo poo!

Apologies for the blur, but the relevant information should still be intelligible. Also, it did not take me nearly as long to do this quality of work as the timestamps would indicate. I worked on it for a little while before bed, woke up and decided I wasn't going to do any more on it, so took the completion shot.

By dint of the aforementioned leaping pose, it is my Challenge for this month.

And now for the target of my actual effort:

The white balance seems a little off, so I might try and fix it before the end of the month. :effort:

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I hate saying this since everyone is a volunteer and all, but the spreadsheet still hasn't been updated.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I also haven't heard anything on if my oath was approved or not, which makes me a bit nervous since I am almost finished with it.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
It was a dark photo but you're fine, don't worry.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

JerryLee posted:

And now for the target of my actual effort:

The white balance seems a little off, so I might try and fix it before the end of the month. :effort:

drat, this looks amazing. Great job.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Oath Complete!

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011
I Raphus C oath 5 tankbustas

Ledgem
Oct 20, 2010
OATHING: Zuriel from Privateer Press

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Oath Complete!

Pushed myself pretty hard on the Coven Throne, a model for a game I'll never play. I'm not sure why Mary's face is so monsterous. I didn't do so great a job on her but it doesn't look anything like that in person.

Box Art:

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Oath Complete!

loving glorious, I love the idea.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
November Oaths are here! https://imgur.com/a/fkODx

I put them in an Imgur album to make them easier for the Judges to share their picks, Google Photos through a computer browser still don't let you get workable links.

I'll edit this post in a few minutes with Accepted Oaths and answers to questions!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

grassy gnoll posted:

Thank you for your forebearance, but I realized if I don't get slapped for it in some capacity, I'm just going to keep being a dope. I'm just going to eat what I've finished so far and start a fresh oath. So:

I, Grassy Gnoll, oath 4 Alguaciles and 1 McMurrough, 28mm Infinity miniatures from Corvus Belli, for February 2016.

Taft Punk posted:

I, Taft Punk, oath that I will paint these two models in February: Esters and Mash.

They are both from Steamforged Games' Guild Ball game.

In the spirit of funsies, I'll be trying to paint Mash with my non-dominant hand.

Big Willy Style posted:

I oath one 2nd ed LictoR by GW

wdarkk posted:

I, wdarkk, oath this Scourge Oppressor and Harbinger for the month of February. Dropzone Commander, Hawk Wargames, Resin, 10mm.

I'm claiming the soaring challenge here by default, since the Harbinger goes on a flight stand.

NTRabbit posted:

I, NTRabbit, oath to paint during the rest of February

One Burrowing Horror by Reaper Bones (25mm)

Pyrolocutus posted:

I, Pyrolocutus, oath one Necropunk for February! This is a Malifaux model from the Ressurectionist faction, produced by Wyrd Games.

Weirdo posted:

I Weirdo Oath four miniatures by Mantic games 28mm - One Loka Air Rook, One Loka Air Bishop, One Mars Attacks Giant Ant, and One Supreme Leader.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Oath Addition of a WHFB Coven Throne:

Ugleb posted:

I Ugleb, hereby oath for the month of February Commissioner Gordon for the Batman Miniatures Game. 32mm by Knight Models.

jadebullet posted:

I, jadebullet, oath one Chaos Space Marine Chosen Champion with Power Sword for February.

Raphus C posted:

I Raphus C oath 5 tankbustas

Ledgem posted:

OATHING: Zuriel from Privateer Press

Oaths Accepted!

Electric Hobo posted:

I hate saying this since everyone is a volunteer and all, but the spreadsheet still hasn't been updated.
I'll chase this again and if it's not done this weekend I'll do it next week.

jadebullet posted:

I also haven't heard anything on if my oath was approved or not, which makes me a bit nervous since I am almost finished with it.
As someone else replied, don't sweat it, I don't check the thread every day but you're OK! :)

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
February Oath Complete!

Box Art Complete!

Man, that's a great way to feel terrible

Theme Challenge Complete!

Backstory Complete!

"Did you see th-"

"Yeah, I saw it. Don't stare, it's not polite."

"But, I mean...that's weird, right?"

"He's an eight foot tall werewolf. He's hauling around a sword taller than you. Are you really gonna tell him what he's supposed to wear?"

"Well, yeah, okay, but...he just doesn't look right without the tartan."

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

CommissarRed posted:

drat, this looks amazing. Great job.

Thanks! It's a model I ended up pretty happy with. :)

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

:siren: Oath Complete! :siren:

Getting better at pictures, but still not great. One thing I'm definitely learning is that I need to adjust my sealing technique: those models are unfortunately frosty. :(
My Journal/Challenge for the month is the blood on the Cameronian's KBar. Played with some stippling on the cloth harness, and really enjoyed the effect.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer
Oath Addition - I Weirdo add one Kovoss Kryptic by Mantic games, 28mm. Speed painting material!

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Signal posted:

Getting better at pictures, but still not great. One thing I'm definitely learning is that I need to adjust my sealing technique: those models are unfortunately frosty. :(
You can give it another layer of gloss varnish to kill the frosting, then try the matte again.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
Oath complete!

I was trying to come up with a bit of an alternative colour scheme for Commissioner Gordon here as I usually just see him painted with a brown coat. I guess he bought a Barbour jacket or something. ;)

Reasonably happy with it if not the photos, I'm still struggling with faces in particular and this is the first time I can remember painting glasses.

Edit - I posted the same pic twice! :doh:

Ugleb fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Feb 27, 2016

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Oath Complete One Chaos Chosen Champion

I met both monthlies, since he is leaping(The pose was more prounounced when he was on a rock, but that didn't fit the base so I removed it from the model) and his sword is stained with blood.

And, achievement time. Hopefully this isn't too long for the thread, but I did a backstory.

quote:

His lips still mouthing the Benediction of Hatred, Brother Captain Garron forced himself to raise his head as the rough pull of the cruel blades against his flesh finally abated. He doubted that his reprieve would last long. As his head raised, his muscles screamed from days of hanging with his arms chained cruciform. The robed forms of his four ever present tormentors blurred into focus. They had retreated a few steps from him, bloody daggers still in hand. By now he'd grown used to the pale, waxy scar tissue that were their sole facial features.

“Your prayers fall upon indifferent ears,” said a deep, silky voice as the hulking form of the arch-traitor flowed from the shadows. The faceless humans fell to one knee at his presence, their ruined faces pressed to the stone floor, the giant paying no heed to them as he passed. Garron felt his blood turn hot with anger at the sight, his body subconsciously straining against the cruel chains that bound him. The fallen Astartes stopped in front of him and gently lifted Garron’s chin with thumb and forefinger, the sleeve of his black robe slipping back to reveal pallid skin stretched over gene-forged muscle. He leaned in close to Garron. His face was hidden behind a pristine white mask shaped in the visage of a delicate human face, a single black tear drop molded below the right eye. “Don’t worry,” he continued, softer now. “Soon you will have a captivated audience for all of your devotionals, Brother Captain.”

Garron spat, the crimson spittle bright against the ivory of the mask. “You are no brother of mine,” Garron growled, his weary voice sounding pitiful in its dryness. “You left that title with the tattered remains of your broken oaths.” He forced a defiant grin. “And if you think that a few cuts are going to break mine, you are sadly mistaken. I must thank you, in fact. It has been a while since my last proper devotional.”

A low chuckle came from beneath the mask as the hand was retracted, letting Garron’s chin drop to his chest. “It is always a pleasure to have a Son of Dorn. Without a gag, I get to hear all of the empty threats and false piety. Your Gene-Father’s stubbornness is just an added benefit.” One of the faceless thralls wheeled a stained steel table between Garron and the masked traitor. “Not that it will help you in the end,” he paused, laying several blunt instruments upon the table, before adding, “my brother.”

The masked heretic met Garron’s gaze, then slowly produced a small object from within his robes and began rolling it between his fingers. Garron’s wounds began to throb and itch. For the first time, his gaze to fell upon the mosaic of cuts and brands that marred his skin. Seeing that each one formed a profane symbol that intertwined into a blasphemous web of sigils filled him with revulsion, his vision swimming at the sight.

“What—" The words caught in this throat a moment as throbbing agony built in his wounds. He caught his breath and choked them out. "What have you done to me?"

“I was Brother Undariel, Captain of the Blood Angels Fifth Company,” the traitor said, his focus still on the object twirling in his fingers. “Glory and duty came easy. My skill was unmatched. Veldo the Blood Scourge, Warboss Eadsnappa, The Herald of the True Faith, The Hunter of Ruin, all met their end at the edge of my blade.” Undariel turned his attention back to Garron and with a slow, deliberate movement, placed the small object onto the table. He removed his hand from the table, revealing a single service stud. When Garron’s eyes met the small metal spike, the itching, burning, throbbing cacophony of sensation reached a crescendo, and he struggled just to draw breath. Carved into the embossed Aquila on the head of the spike was an intricate symbol of obscene beauty, inlaid with gold and silver. Garron tore his gaze from the garish sigil and met the mask’s empty gaze.

Above the roar of the sensory overload, only one thing was clear. “Pathetic,” Garron said. How dare this scum bother him with such insignificant deeds, “bragging of the empty deeds of a heretic. They mean nothing to me. Give me a blade so that you may witness a true skill and be sent to the Emperor to be judged for your desecration.”

“I was Sanguinius,” Undariel continued, producing a second service stud from the folds of his robes and placing it on the table beside the first. The symbol on this one crude, as if made with a chisel.

“Do not ignore me you traitorous coward,” Garron snarled, his choler suddenly rising at the slight. He pulled at his bindings, his scabbed over wounds splitting and running anew with fresh blood. “Face me!”

“I fell to the curse of my geneseed, imprisoned in the death throes of my long dead father. Cursed with unbridled rage for a death that was not mine and forced to make it my own.”

Garron could feel the hot blood pouring down his arms from where the chains bit into his arms, the pain of these new wounds joining the chorus of agony, but he didn’t care. He had to get free. He had to kill this traitor. His breath was coming heavy now, seething past lips dripping with pink saliva. He flailed against the chains, he had to get free. He had to kill.

His body slumped against the unyielding chains, fatigue winning out over his anger. Temporarily defeated, Garron’s eyes discovered that a third stud had been placed with the other two. This spike looked to be ancient and tarnished, three rusty rings hammered into the Aquila. Garron realized suddenly that the sensations in his skin had changed. Without losing their intensity, they had also gotten duller, as if they had always been there. He looked down at the wounds and saw the skin around them blackening, translucent yellow pus beginning to mix with the blood. He smiled, for in that moment he knew that his revenge would be inevitable.

“I was forsaken,” Undariel said upon seeing Garron’s rage ebb. “My father abandoned us, cursing us even in death. The corpse Emperor abandoned us to obtain godhood, condemning us to serve a bureaucracy that repays our sacrifices only with suspicion and enslavement. Even my brothers forsook me, sentencing me to death for the crimes of our father.”

A fourth stud was placed on the table. A serpentine symbol twisted and writhed on the Aquila, pulsing with unseen power. That power called to Garron. With it, he knew he could restore the galaxy to the Emperor’s vision and strike down those who wish to destroy humanity. Part of him knew the truth in this lie and railed against it, but its screams of hatred were no match for the glorious torment that drowned them out. Garron reveled in the sensation as his skin knit back together, the necrotic furrows replaced with pale pink scar tissue. The fatigue in his muscles faded away, replaced by this raw power. His scars sang with glorious sensation, every twin pulsebeat of his hearts sent strength through his veins. And in his mind, he reveled in the inevitability of all things.

“I was reborn, released from the shackles of the Imperium, my mind free from the failure of the Angel. My fate freed to find my own death.

Garron felt Undariel lift his chin again, breaking the siren hold of the four studs. The skin of his face tingled as the mask slid into place. Inside of his mind, something screamed and thrashed, trying to fight through his clouded mind and regain control.

“I am nothing,” said his forsaken Brother. “I am faceless.” Garron was vaguely aware of Undariel picking something off the table as he said, “I am eternal.”

With a hammer blow, the sound of a service stud punching through the ceramite mask and into the flesh and bone of his skull filled Garron’s rapturous ears and the screaming abruptly stopped, to be replaced by beautiful whispers.

jadebullet fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Feb 27, 2016

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
I, Indolent Bastard oath 1 Harpy from Reaper Miniatures.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
:siren:February Oath complete:siren:.

Claiming :siren:theme challenge:siren: paint a model that is leaping, jumping or soaring!
Claiming :siren:OPTIONAL theme challenge:siren: paint a heart of any style somewhere on your model! (I sculpted the heart in her hand and painted it blood red).
Claiming :siren:technical challenge:siren: in the spirit of Valentine's day and all the heart icons that this entails, let's see your best blood effects!

gently caress you February, the most loathsome of months.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Oath Complete

And furthermore,

Oath Addition

I, JackMann, oath one Mage Hunter Strike Force Commander from Warmachine.

JackMann fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Feb 28, 2016

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer

Weirdo posted:

Oath Addition - I Weirdo add one Kovoss Kryptic by Mantic games, 28mm. Speed painting material!

Speed painting! - A mantic dreadball player used as D&D mini for a cactus man pugilist.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
:siren:October Judging!:siren:

Third Place: Zark the Damned, 1pt

I really wish I'd known about these before I made my own Wights! They 100% look the part, and the freehand on the shoulder pads is top notch.

Second Place: Ugleb, 2pts

The weathering on this is drat impressive. The sparse highlights really makes it distinct, and it all blends together into a nice, cohesive whole.

First Place: Germ, 3pts

You're some kind of painting wizard, dude. That thing looks straight up like it came from a cartoon, and I mean that in the best way!

Bonus Point: Nesbit37, 1pt

drat, dude. That's a lot of models!

Edit: also, school is starting to wind down for me so I should be getting on the ball for judging pretty soon. I haven't forgotten about this thread, I've just been very busy.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Slimnoid posted:

Second Place: Ugleb, 2pts

The weathering on this is drat impressive. The sparse highlights really makes it distinct, and it all blends together into a nice, cohesive whole.

:D thanks very much!

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

Oath complete!

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

Oath Complete!

All these models turned out pretty fun this month. Trying to take some notes from RichyP.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Just curious, as I haven't been a participant in the oath thread since the 2012 season back when there was an oath deadline, so I know that some things have changed. I think I remember that back then, in addition to the oathing deadline, the ability to start oathing for the next month in the final 2 days of the month was in place. Are we still able to oath things for the following month at the very end of the current month, or do we have to wait for the next one to start? I ask because I have several items built, prepped and primed, but I would like to hold off on starting to paint them until I can oath them.

Taft Punk
Jan 11, 2011

Fish are the vegetables of the sea.
Oath complete!

Sorry about the blurry pictures -- still a camera novice.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Sadly I must rescind my oath and fall into oath-breaker status because I somehow lost his goddamn arms

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Cat Face Joe posted:

Sadly I must rescind my oath and fall into oath-breaker status because I somehow lost his goddamn arms

That never stopped Abaddon :v:

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Cat Face Joe posted:

Dude, I'm sure you have some spare arms around. Maybe some old space marine arms or some skeleton arms or dwarf arms or something.

Taft Punk
Jan 11, 2011

Fish are the vegetables of the sea.

Cat Face Joe posted:

Give him wiggly wire tentacle arms until you find them! :D They could even be magnet mounted!

Germ
May 7, 2013

Thanks for the points and the kind words, Slimnoid! I've been dreading getting back to my Eldar, so it's nice to hear positive feedback.

LATE rear end OATH!!

Work continues to kick my rear end, but that's not going to stop me from painting this modded car by Hot Wheels for use in my gaming group's Warlands campaign.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
I WhiteOutMouse Oath 20 Mantic Zombies for Febuary

Thank you leapyear!

And also thank you new policy on basing, or lack there of! My basing supplies wont get here till March 1st.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Weirdo posted:

Indolent Bastard posted:

I, Indolent Bastard oath 1 Harpy from Reaper Miniatures.

JackMann posted:

Oath Addition
I, JackMann, oath one Mage Hunter Strike Force Commander from Warmachine.

Germ posted:

LATE rear end OATH!!

WhiteOutMouse posted:

I WhiteOutMouse Oath 20 Mantic Zombies for Febuary

Thank you leapyear!
OATHS ACCEPTED!

And yes, just under 26 hours remain to finish (or start then finish) your Oaths!

jadebullet posted:

Just curious, as I haven't been a participant in the oath thread since the 2012 season back when there was an oath deadline, so I know that some things have changed. I think I remember that back then, in addition to the oathing deadline, the ability to start oathing for the next month in the final 2 days of the month was in place. Are we still able to oath things for the following month at the very end of the current month, or do we have to wait for the next one to start? I ask because I have several items built, prepped and primed, but I would like to hold off on starting to paint them until I can oath them.

Sadly no, you have to wait until midnight on the last night of the previous month in the AMERICAN SAMOA time zone to start your Oath, but you can post an Oath up until the very last day of the month, and with us using the American Samoa time zone you effectively get at least half a day extra if you're in UK/EU, more than that if you're in the US, so you do get nearly all of that 'lost' time back anyway. But it's been a few years and the rules get tweaked every year anyway. I think the change to Oathing in the previous month was done before I started managing it, or maybe it was one of the changes I did to make things simpler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

I, Schmetterling, oath one Reaper Bones Succubus and one Reaper Bones Owlbear for February

• Locked thread