Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

That was... really well edited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

Suspension of disbelief is getting tough.

Donna, why isn't Mike's name on this class ranking list?
Objection: Assumes facts not i evidence. (Where did that list come from? Who made it? When?)
Assuming the list gets certified by someone from Harvard...
Donna, why isn't Mike's name on this class ranking list?
Answer: I don't know. (Donna doesn't keep or maintain Harvard's records)

Donna, Why isn't Mike's name on this list you typed a few years ago?
Objection: Assumes facts not in evidence. (Where did the list come from?)
Donna, did you type this list? Answer, I don't know.
Why isn't Mike's name on the list? I don't know.

Donna, did Mike attend Harvard? Answer: I don't know. (Donna doesn't keep or maintain Harvard's records)

Classmate, did Mike attend Harvard? Answer: Yes.
Classmate, isn't it true that your grandmother's settlement will be revoked if Mike is not a lawyer? Answer: No. (why would it? Is Suits using law school dropouts as law consultants?)

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

Also - I hope Louis or someone, recorded that little porch step meeting at the end of the show. The DA directly violated a court order but asserted "You won't tell anyone because of what I'm going to say!"

Bullshit. Throw her under the bus. Have her sanctioned and removed from the case. It's not enough to disbar her, but it will really piss off the judge. After all, she went out of her way to violate the court order and acknowledged the court order while violating it.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

patentmagus posted:

Suspension of disbelief is getting tough.

I mean if you could suspend your disbelief about the whole case being built on an anonymous tip despite the NY bar's system listing Mike as a licensed attorney and Harvard law's records indicating that Mike attended and graduated from Harvard law, then this is nothing.

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.
This season should wrap up nicely but what are they going to do for next season? My ideas are turn Mike into a traveling consulting genius a la Sherlock, or move him to Hell's Kitchen and have him work Daredevil's caseload.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

patentmagus posted:

Also - I hope Louis or someone, recorded that little porch step meeting at the end of the show. The DA directly violated a court order but asserted "You won't tell anyone because of what I'm going to say!"

Bullshit. Throw her under the bus. Have her sanctioned and removed from the case. It's not enough to disbar her, but it will really piss off the judge. After all, she went out of her way to violate the court order and acknowledged the court order while violating it.

Yeah I've suspended my disbelief about the actual practice of law for this show because it's basically the equivalent of that mock trial you did in your 6th grade social studies class, but if they just pretend that this didn't happen it'll be too loving much. Like she straight up tried to intimidate him during a trial with an active restraint order in place. Like, come the gently caress on show, you've got to at least try to pretend that some laws exist in this magical TV universe you've set up. Even by the show's "creative" interpretation of the law what she did is absolutely ridiculous. The fact that it was all about her pressuring Louis about how he tampered with a witness just makes it that much more hilarious.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

VDay posted:

Yeah I've suspended my disbelief about the actual practice of law for this show because it's basically the equivalent of that mock trial you did in your 6th grade social studies class, but if they just pretend that this didn't happen it'll be too loving much. Like she straight up tried to intimidate him during a trial with an active restraint order in place. Like, come the gently caress on show, you've got to at least try to pretend that some laws exist in this magical TV universe you've set up. Even by the show's "creative" interpretation of the law what she did is absolutely ridiculous. The fact that it was all about her pressuring Louis about how he tampered with a witness just makes it that much more hilarious.

5 Seasons of Louis always having a ridiculous voice recorder on him to leave notes will have been totally worth it if this happens. Now I really want it to. She's kicking rear end in court and has the case sewn up, but can't resist one last kick at trying to bring the firm down, and she kicks the wrong drat dog. I think there's a good chance it goes down like that because they did a quick little bit of him talking into his recorder recently, and it'd be a total Suits thing to do. It also pays off the suggestion that Louis might turn on the firm by having that reversed in the est way.

Also, after Louis loving things up so many times he gets to finally be the one to come in and save the day. I want Mike's closing statement to be him playing a recording of her violating a court order and then asking who the real lawyer here is :smug:.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

If I'd be a lawyer in the Suits universe I'd just keep my phone recording 24/7. Can't even wake up in the morning without someone incriminating themselves.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Xoidanor posted:

If I'd be a lawyer in the Suits universe I'd just keep my phone recording 24/7. Can't even wake up in the morning without someone incriminating themselves.

In the Suits universe being a Glasshole is just common sense.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

GaussianCopula posted:

In the Suits universe being a Glasshole is just common sense.

Goddamn, one guy at PSL with a constant glass stream uploading to the cloud and who got people to speak candidly anyway would have their name on the door within a year. I need Louis' Dictaphone (I remembered the name just now after it completely popped out of my mind earlier) to come in and make the big save here, also work a Litt up mug into it somewhere.

I was expecting them to be utterly screwed going into the last two episodes of the season, but the case against them doesn't seem all that strong, and Mike could save it with a strong performance as lead/sole counsel. I expect Mike gets to suddenly be first chair, Sheila comes back and is somehow allowed to testify even though the prosecution rested, and then Louis saves the day with the Dictaphone since all Suits cases are ultimately won through shadey blackmail poo poo.

Also, a fun fact: The episode that was all about Mike arguing about how he's a really good lawyer and can carry the whole case on his own shoulders, a view that was proven to have been the right move in the end, was directed by Mike himself, Patrick J. Adams. He directed the 14th episode of last season too so I'm sure it's a coincidence, but then again... :tinfoil:

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

NowonSA posted:

I was expecting them to be utterly screwed going into the last two episodes of the season, but the case against them doesn't seem all that strong, and Mike could save it with a strong performance as lead/sole counsel.

As if the strength of the case or lawyerly performance matters. The actors will say: "we're screwed, we're screwed, we're going to jail! -anguish-" Then Mike/Harvey makes stern important sounding (but nonsense) declarations. Then the actors say: "We're winning! They saved the day!" Then the case settles or the jury says "They saved the day!"

There will doubtless be important sounding declarations lobbed back and forth, but the last one will be by Mike ('cause that actor is directing the episode), by Harvey (because he's the bestest closer in the city), or by Jessica (cat fight!).

I may puke a little if Rachel keeps deadpanning: "I'll support you regardless because we're married/engaged in real life and you like to hear that."

I'm about to give up on this show.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

patentmagus posted:

As if the strength of the case or lawyerly performance matters. The actors will say: "we're screwed, we're screwed, we're going to jail! -anguish-" Then Mike/Harvey makes stern important sounding (but nonsense) declarations. Then the actors say: "We're winning! They saved the day!" Then the case settles or the jury says "They saved the day!"

There will doubtless be important sounding declarations lobbed back and forth, but the last one will be by Mike ('cause that actor is directing the episode), by Harvey (because he's the bestest closer in the city), or by Jessica (cat fight!).

I may puke a little if Rachel keeps deadpanning: "I'll support you regardless because we're married/engaged in real life and you like to hear that."

Hahaha all the same poo poo throughout the previous seasons and NOW you're about to give up on it? Nah. I'm callin' your bluff.

But yeah, Rachel's doing some stupid poo poo trying to not have Mike be upset when she tells him how much of a manly man he is when he's actually kinda dumb.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Chasiubao posted:

Wow Mike is a spectacular idiot in this episode.

Nothing's changed this week :v:

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

patentmagus posted:

Idk I'm actually enjoying this ride to everything is back to normal land.

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

Drifter posted:

Hahaha all the same poo poo throughout the previous seasons and NOW you're about to give up on it? Nah. I'm callin' your bluff.

But yeah, Rachel's doing some stupid poo poo trying to not have Mike be upset when she tells him how much of a manly man he is when he's actually kinda dumb.

You're probably right. :cry:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

This being Suits means that Louis is about to do something really stupid.

BarDown
Jun 20, 2013

Peace among worlds
*burp*BITCHHHH*burp*

muscles like this? posted:

This being Suits means that Louis is about to do something really stupid.

But but... he just told lady prosecutor off. (You're probably right...Stupid Louis)

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

Wow - the dearth of comments after last night's show indicates how the audience numbers must be dropping.

At first I was annoyed with the "Tick Tock" episode because everyone was stupidly melting down. But -epiphany- it's supposed to be about people melting down. OK.

The least insipid character was Jessica who stayed smart, analyzed the situation, and carried on.

Next was Donna - refusing to do stupid stuff like trying to call in a favor from someone outside the firm for something that will get the firm in yet deeper trouble.

The rest - yeesh.

Really hating Louis right now because he, for a while, decided to screw his own firm and partners with his little recorder when he could have just as easily done in that prosecutor by doing the exact same thing - recording a conversation. The entire argument in front of the elevators, down in the main lobby of the building, was cringe worthy. How dumb can they be to say those words in public for anyone to witness, record, report, etc. dumb dumb dumb

In the -so dramatic- end Harvey races to rescue Mike. There was supposed to be a lot of tension, but I couldn't have cared less. Sure, I'm curious as to how it will play out but at this point I give no shits about Harvey or Mike.

Hopefully, Mike falls on his sword and ends this horrid story arc.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I'm not a fan of the pity party Suits has devolved into.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

patentmagus posted:

Wow - the dearth of comments after last night's show indicates how the audience numbers must be dropping.

I'd say it's more a reflection of the fact that there just isn't much to say this season. Another episode where people randomly explode at each other, another episode where Louis goes back and forth over whether to betray everyone or not, another episode of Mike and Harvey doing basically illegal things, and another episode where there's a DRAMATIC CLIFFHANGER that will probably be resolved in pretty much the way everyone expects in the first 10 minutes of the next episode.

The prosecutor apparently getting completely away with trying to blatantly intimidate Louis is kind of ridiculous and the only part that even really stood out to me.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
That prosecutor is such a giant BITCH. Especially when he was trying to help that guy whose lawyer did not show up. Still want to know why she has such a hard-on for Mike beyond not liking Harvey.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Holyshoot posted:

That prosecutor is such a giant BITCH. Especially when he was trying to help that guy whose lawyer did not show up. Still want to know why she has such a hard-on for Mike beyond not liking Harvey.

I mean, if you knew there was a dude who was illegally impersonating a member of your profession who was also working with a high powered other person who often did very questionable/illegal things as well, and then was pretending to be a lawyer yet again in the middle of the trial you were leading, you'd be a little annoyed as well, no?

But yeah. This is the same old story plot-wise. Nothing much to discuss. I miss inappropriate and funny louis, though.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Feb 26, 2016

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Can they just revert a bit more to 'lawsuit of the week' next season?

Mike's inappropriate :qq: about I"M NOT HELPING POOR PEOPLE was just embarrassing. I kinda liked that he used all that supposed talent for scuzzy deals between mega-rich douchebags.

Also, whatever happens at the end of next week's episode, can we PLEASE not be done with the 'not a lawyer' angle. I think the writers want it to be some kind of original sin that keeps on reverberating around this show, but it's getting really tiresome for them to find more plot angles to jam this poo poo into.

Cute n Popular
Oct 12, 2012
welp guess Mike's going to jail.

edit: "and the Harvey I know is not that kind of person"

He is exactly that kind of person, Donna.

Cute n Popular fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Feb 27, 2016

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yeah that line was hilarious. Like the entire first season and maybe even most of season 2 is specifically about what a huge rear end in a top hat Harvey is and how he's willing to gently caress over anyone to win and Mike having to adjust to that since he just wants to Do The Right Thing.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Junior G-man posted:

Also, whatever happens at the end of next week's episode, can we PLEASE not be done with the 'not a lawyer' angle. I think the writers want it to be some kind of original sin that keeps on reverberating around this show, but it's getting really tiresome for them to find more plot angles to jam this poo poo into.

It seems to me that the mistrial and prosecutor can for internal reasons not go to trial again is their way of keeping the Damocles sword right above everyone's head.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Cute n Popular posted:

welp guess Mike's going to jail.

edit: "and the Harvey I know is not that kind of person"

He is exactly that kind of person, Donna.

Season 6: Jailhouse Lawyer

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Chasiubao posted:

Season 6: Jailhouse Lawyer

Mike in jail helping out prisoners whilst Pearson Spector Litt melts down would actually be a really fun way to shake up the show for a year.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I have a feeling that if somebody goes to jail there's going to be a time skip so when the show comes back it will be them getting out.

But yeah, this mini season bit has been not great. Way too much back and forth "How could you do this?" "How could YOU do this?" and crazy US Attorney.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

blunt posted:

Mike in jail helping out prisoners whilst Pearson Spector Litt melts down would actually be a really fun way to shake up the show for a year.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

blunt posted:

Mike gets a law degree while he's in jail and uses it to help other prisoners with appeals and take down other prison gangs. On the outside, the disgraced PSL is a sinking ship. Mike does his year or two, gets out, and he and Harvey have to Get The Band Back Together and rebuild PSL for season 7.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

GaussianCopula posted:

It seems to me that the mistrial and prosecutor can for internal reasons not go to trial again is their way of keeping the Damocles sword right above everyone's head.

Honestly, it doesn't matter whether or not she can retry him - double jeopardy only exists for specific acts. This whole thing requires a lot of suspension of disbelief but simply put, even IF she could reasonably try him for never going to/graduating from Harvard, if the charges are that he isn't a licensed attorney each time he represents himself as one he is committing another crime. If the charge is solely that he didn't go to Harvard then this is just a stupid case to begin with, tons of people lie about that poo poo and never go to jail for it - look at the old CEO of Radio Shack, David Edmondson.

The crux of the issue is (or should be), why does this attorney have such a vendetta against Harvey and/or PSL? She doesn't seem to give a poo poo about whether or not Mike goes to prison as long as he stops practicing law - the target here are the partners. And frankly, I'd exclude Louis because she approached him separately. So either Jessica or Harvey must have run over her dog or something in the past, but they haven't given us any inclination as to when/what that was.

Edit: Hell, the most interesting thing that could come of all of this is that Jessica and Harvey are bystanders too and the ultimate target is really Hardman, but whatever the issue is would drag one of them down with him. It'd be a lovely way to waste half a season, though. Speaking of which, did we ever see what Hardman had on Soloff?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Katrina! She's taking a stop in the present in between traveling through time.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Certainly wasn't expecting them to actually send Mike to prison

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Wow, Mike is just letting Rachel down :smith:

I think I might hate Mike more than Louis right now.

Chasiubao fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Mar 3, 2016

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I like to think Rachel just lets herself down.

Because she is dumb. But so is Mike. They deserve each other because they are so stupid.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

red19fire posted:

Mike gets a law degree while he's in jail and uses it to help other prisoners with appeals and take down other prison gangs. On the outside, the disgraced PSL is a sinking ship. Mike does his year or two, gets out, and he and Harvey have to Get The Band Back Together and rebuild PSL for season 7.

This seems like a reasonable prediction, but this Suits. So I predict they time skip ahead the two years, PSL is gone, Mike, Harvey and Louis team up to battle the Pearson-Zane juggernaut that holds the NYC legal system in its icy, very attractive grip to rescue Donna and Rachel for some reason.

Also, Mike gets a bitchin' face scar from his time in the joint. :v:

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Drifter posted:

I like to think Rachel just lets herself down.

Because she is dumb. But so is Mike. They deserve each other because they are so stupid.

Yeah this about sums it up for me.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

drat, really didn't expect them to send Mike to prison. Anyway,

Interview with the showrunner about Season 6

Here's a few bits:

quote:

We're coming back right where we left off. Much of the time when we land on a huge, earth-shattering event in our world, we contemplate a time jump. It's probably just the way I think about things, but I always end up feeling like if we're just going to time-jump out of it, what was the purpose of ending there? You want to see how we're going to get out of it in a specific way. We'll often always think about a time jump and then a flashback, but then we counter with wondering why we just don't pick it up there in the first place. So we half-did that at the beginning of season five. But no, we're coming back to the very night that we ended the episode on. The entire episode as is currently contemplated takes place with Mike's first night in prison and the first night back at the firm when they've come back and it's empty.

We're working out the season and how long Mike's going to be in prison, but as it currently stands, he's in prison for a while. The topic of what happens to him in prison is not in large measure him getting his law degree. That's not what we're focusing on, and we're trying to do something a little different and unexpected. But that's not the focus of Mike's journey in prison. It's more about him surviving and then he has a turn. There are a few twists and turns. But he's not a jailhouse lawyer, so to speak.

So no time jump, no prison house lawyer, no working towards a law degree.

It's funny, I was ready to give up on Suits but these last six episodes, despite being really really dumb, pulled me back in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yeah props to them for actually changing things up a bit. I mean we'll see if that lasts or makes any meaningful difference to the show but at least we're not getting the usual last-second bullshit rabbit being pulled out of a hat. I love that people at the firm acted realistically for once and got the gently caress out the second they finally could. It's about time the show acknowledged what a hot mess that whole situation is.

Also I feel bad for Meghan Markle, Rachel is the worst-written character on the show and just alternates between doing something dumb and getting poo poo on for no reason. I like how they managed to guilt-trip her for being sad for a day when Mike first told her he would've been guilty. Like come on you're already making GBS threads on her character with the constant switches between Mike going to jail and the wedding, did we really need a scene where she apologizes to him?

Still, surprisingly looking forward to next season so good job show I guess. Hopefully they take the opportunity to get back to more lighthearted shenanigans instead of making the entire next season a dark, depressing look at how hard being in jail is. Speaking of which I like how they're treating Mike's two years as if he's going away forever to Gitmo. I mean it sucks for any relationship but it's 2 years... Not exactly an insurmountable challenge considering she can visit him and will be busy in law school anyway.

• Locked thread