Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

played two games of roll for the galaxy with ambition tonight with the roommate

each game was tied VP wise and came down to the dice tiebreaker

poo poo is getting intense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

And I just bought glass road...

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
This is not exactly a board game, but I feel it apes enough board game elements that I can post it here. I have been playing a an indie game recently that is very obviously inspired by Mage Knight, called The Curious Expedition. You can tell the developers are board gamers, this game is about 80% Mage Knight, 15% Robinson Crusoe, and 5% Yahtzee. Instead of a Mage Knight looking for a capital city, you play as a 19th century explorer looking for a "golden pyramid". You manage your limited movement, explore terrain, recruit (or burn down) villages, etc, you know Mage Knight. The game isn't exactly "historically accurate" so you can buy "spells" from shamans too. You don't have to manage the order of you cards, and you have access to all your movement from the start (if you run out you die :twisted:), but don't think its easier or something, just more convenient.

Combat is slightly less deterministic than Mage Knight (though not that much!). Its the same concept of "generate enough defense/attack points", but instead of static cards each character has a unique D6 associated with them, with unique faces. The faces can be combined in different ways for different combos, and you get 3 re-rolls, (Yahtzee style) to try and make the best possible combo with the dice you have. Its actually pretty fun, and (being dice) it would translate into an actual board game pretty easily:

http://www.curious-expedition.com/

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Vanilla Bison posted:

I think Dakota's deeper than you let on. Dakota looks like a worker placement game but it's more of a cutthroat negotiation game. Again for those who don't know the game, three critical rules make it totally different from conventional worker placement:

1) A resource space is never blocked, you can pile on a larger number of meeples than other players in your faction already did and take first pick of the goods, maybe everything that's left before they get any.
2) The two factions can never draw from the same resource space on the same turn; instead whichever faction has more meeples there pushes the other off completely, and ties mean no one gets anything.
3) There is a pool of "neutral" Native and Settler meeples determined by the player balance, and after everyone goes clockwise placing their actual, useful, resource-collecting meeples, they then go counter-clockwise placing the neutral meeples to completely gently caress people over.

Your fellow Native placed two meeples trying to get buffalo? gently caress you, I'm placing two Settlers to kick you off, and then putting a neutral Native on the space I'm harvesting to prevent someone from loving me over the same way. It's very easy to get caught in a spiral of blocking and revenge, because the other faction isn't directly competing for resources with you while your "allies" are. But if your faction can't get its poo poo together, the other one is likely to manage the resource spaces to their favor, collect them more efficiently, and wreck you all on victory points. So winning the game demands negotiation and skillful deal-making.

That said, while I enjoy it, I wouldn't recommend it without a big caveat. For people who enjoy a negotiation game like Chinatown, I'm not sure how much enthusiasm they'll feel for way more betrayal and acrimonious blocking in their deal-brokering.

Edit: but you can get Dakota for $8.99 with free shipping on Tanga so uhhh I'd recommend it pretty strongly at that price!

That's probably all true but unfortunately in my game, it never wrote turned out like that as non of the Indian players opted to use the neutral Settlers to block each other and instead opted to block me (not for no reason) or not do anything with them. The amount of cutthroatedness is heavily reliant on players and a group that doesn't scheme or play as aggressively probably won't get the maximum mileage out of this game.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
I'm looking for a game in sort of the same vein as Master Labyrinth, where you have a clear goal of collecting some stuff or building something, faster than your opponents, just more advanced.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Boz0r posted:

I'm looking for a game in sort of the same vein as Master Labyrinth, where you have a clear goal of collecting some stuff or building something, faster than your opponents, just more advanced.

Galaxy Trucker has you building a slapdash space ship in real time out of a shared pile of components, then running it through an obstacle course to see who gets the most money while getting demolished the least.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
That looks pretty intimidating. Maybe not that advanced.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Vanilla Bison posted:

Edit: but you can get Dakota for $8.99 with free shipping on Tanga so uhhh I'd recommend it pretty strongly at that price!

With that sales pitch and that price, I couldn't help but get it. Cutthroat negotiations is right up my group's alley!

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It's not really that bad... (unless you're playing with people more experienced with the game then you. then it gets pretty intimidating.) It's pretty well self-balancing - you always have enough time to build a "good enough" ship, because no-one's going to say that they're done and flip the timer until they think that their ship is good enough.

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

Yeah Galaxy Trucker isn't too advanced. There may be plenty of cardboard and plastic, but the manual is really clear on everything.

just don't get angry when half your ship gets blown to smithereens after an asteroid field encounter

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
If you have an android or ios device, I'd recommend trying out the app, it's an excellent port and well worth the price.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3

bobvonunheil posted:

Can any FCM-owning goons tell me the dimensions (in inches or mm) of the in-game tiles?

I am working on papercraft components for FCM to offset the game's artistic blandness (plus I like to be able to see an actual city when working with a construction-style game) and would like them to actually be usable for people other than my own print-n-play copy that I'm mocking up.

99 x 99 mm for the map tiles. Each square a little under 20 x 20 mm (map tiles are 5x5). A tile you place on the map is around 18 x 18 mm per square it takes up (e.g. 2x2 tile is ~36 x 36 mm)

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
So the current developers for online Dominion did not get their contract renewed, and there will be new developers as of January 2017. I guess it's something. Maybe one day we'll get something playable.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Lorini posted:

So the current developers for online Dominion did not get their contract renewed, and there will be new developers as of January 2017. I guess it's something. Maybe one day we'll get something playable.

Holy :lol: I feel bad for anyone that gave that clown show money though.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Bottom Liner posted:

Holy :lol: I feel bad for anyone that gave that clown show money though.

On the bright side, apparently anyone who bought stuff for it will keep their purchases for the new iteration.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

I'm not sure this is the right place for this, but...

Complete gaming novice here. My wife and I are going on vacation in a couple weeks and will have some significant free time at airports and hotels. Can anyone recommend a good travel game for two people? Maybe a card game? I'm thinking something that is compact, fairly easy to learn, and won't take hours to finish.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

The Grey posted:

Complete gaming novice here. My wife and I are going on vacation in a couple weeks and will have some significant free time at airports and hotels. Can anyone recommend a good travel game for two people? Maybe a card game? I'm thinking something that is compact, fairly easy to learn, and won't take hours to finish.

Hive is my first recommendation. I can't really think of anything that isn't super-fillery or fairly heavy other than that. So Hive.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

The Grey posted:

Look into Hanabi. It co-op, and you need to keep a poker face even though it doesn't benefit you for it to be fun. But if you can do that, it's great.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

The Grey posted:

Everybody hear hates Star Realms, but this is exactly the niche that it fills.

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
Hey, That's My Fish! is a good, quick, small game for two. The only difficulty is that the board is made up of small tiles that can be easy to bump around in a travel situation, but if you can find a table to play on it shouldn't be a problem. There are some files on BoardGameGeek that can supposedly ameliorate the danger of bumping, like this one: https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/98385/setup-board-movement-lines though I haven't tried them myself.

edit: You could also just play gin rummy

Dr. Video Games 0081 fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Feb 27, 2016

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

OmegaGoo posted:

Hive is my first recommendation. I can't really think of anything that isn't super-fillery or fairly heavy other than that. So Hive.

Seconding Hive if you like strategy games, and you can play it basically anywhere you have a flat surface. Go with the travel edition though because the basic game has tiles that are inexplicably half an inch thick and is therefore way too heavy to just toss in a carry on.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Jaipur is the best game for non gamers I've found yet. Endlessly replayable and no more complicated than traditional deck card games. It's our go to travel game.

Mortley
Jan 18, 2005

aux tep unt rep uni ovi
Ha, I love that everybody gets excited to recommend things to novices. I'd recommend considering non-designer 2-player small-box card games based on themes/rule sets you already know. Monopoly Deal, Battleship: Hidden Threat, Sorry! Revenge, Yahtzee! Hands Down.

The best designer recommendation above (imo) is the travel version of Hive. It's like solving an end-game chess problem but hexagonal, head-to-head, and a lot easier.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

The Grey posted:

Star realms and epic card game - easy to play and they take up little space. Alternatively - iPad version or ticket to ride, or Agricola

Everyone else will likely post that they are terrible games but we bought them for this purpose and they are perfect.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Lorini posted:

I guess the Dominion rights were initially purchased by Goko, who still controls the license for to Race for the Galaxy on mobile platforms, even though Dominion has moved on to more than one new developer. The only RftG version Goko managed to release was an app for Windows RT, sometime before they ran out of money altogether. Why is it so hard for software companies to put together a decent online or mobile version of a board game, anyway?

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Lorini posted:

Why is it the really good game the one with the biggest development clusterfuck for a video game adaptation?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Why is it the really good game the one with the biggest development clusterfuck for a video game adaptation?

Basically because they couldn't persuade the guy who made the good one to monetise it, and then they either a: got loving conned or b: got bullshitted - the motivation of the company is not really clear, but they hosed it up royally - I don't think they quite expected how tough the audience would be on them, but at the same time, it does seem like they were out to buy up cheap licenses and make lovely flash games.

Hopefully the new ones are going to not-suck.

On another note, I'm putting up another goon game of nTTA. Name is Goon Game password is Stairs first three joiners get to play.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Feb 27, 2016

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

thespaceinvader posted:

On another note, I'm putting up another goon game of nTTA. Name is Goon Game password is stairs first three joiners get to play.

That last game was pretty good. I needed just one more turn :arghfist:

I'll play again.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I've not played it, what's flamingly wrong with the Goko Dominions?

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

I think Pathologic is a great choice for a board game adaptation, I hope Ice Pick does well.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

Mortley posted:

Ha, I love that everybody gets excited to recommend things to novices. I'd recommend considering non-designer 2-player small-box card games based on themes/rule sets you already know. Monopoly Deal, Battleship: Hidden Threat, Sorry! Revenge, Yahtzee! Hands Down.

The best designer recommendation above (imo) is the travel version of Hive. It's like solving an end-game chess problem but hexagonal, head-to-head, and a lot easier.

Well, they came to the board game thread on a forum filled with opinions, man. They're going to get opinions.

Basically, if you're looking for quality and portability, I'll repeat Hive yet again, and Jaipur is also a good choice.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Mr. Squishy posted:

I've not played it, what's flamingly wrong with the Goko Dominions?

Basically they're incredibly slow to develop and they spent basically all their time and effort making it look shiny and animated instead of making it good.

Early on they also had terrifyingly lax security, like storing passwords and credit card details in cleartext and allowing users to execute javascript on other users' machines via the chat window. And even recently they were spitting the login details in cleartext to a local log.

Then they disappeared and Goko was bought by Making Fun, who proceeded to completely re-engineer the game... to be exactly like Goko was, down to a whole swath of features nobody wanted or liked. This took, like, a year, and the only change was that it was in Unity not HTML5. It was functionally and aesthetically virtually identical.

Then hiked the price so it cost something like $90 to get access to the whole game when equivalent game apps top out at about $15.

And they still haven't implemented Adventures despite it being like... 6 months or more since it was released and them having known about it for at least several months prior to release.

They had a guy who spent a bunch of time on the official forums as a company rep/question answerer who flounced off in a massive and hilarious huff. Unsurprisingly, the official forums are the most :spergin: place, but still...

There's a third party fix that makes it much more playable.

Also, the devs of the third party salvager app revealed that the coders had misspelled Jack Of All Trades in the most obvious comedy manner jackoffalltrades

Essentially, imagine the most inexpert and lovely coding and business management, and you probably haven't got far enough.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Feb 27, 2016

Barbelith
Oct 23, 2010

SMILE
Taco Defender

thespaceinvader posted:

On another note, I'm putting up another goon game of nTTA. Name is Goon Game password is Stairs first three joiners get to play.

I'm in as mrmr. Hope you don't expect real time play.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

No, it's not a real-time implementation.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

thespaceinvader posted:

Also, the devs of the third party salvager app revealed that the coders had misspelled Jack Of All Trades in the most obvious comedy manner jackoffalltrades

If I were programming it I would do the same thing entirely on purpose. The Witch would also be called bitch and curses would be fucku.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

thespaceinvader posted:

Early on they also had terrifyingly lax security, like storing passwords and credit card details in cleartext and allowing users to execute javascript on other users' machines via the chat window. And even recently they were spitting the login details in cleartext to a local log.

Hachi machi. That's unusually incompetent.

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?

The Grey posted:

My wife loving LOVES Lost Cities. It doesn't have a huge footprint and you can knock out a round in less than 10 minutes. If you're okay with pretty simple math id pick it up. Hive is also great, but get the pocket edition.

Finally (finally!) got in a serious session of Imperial Assault and it was a hit. Had to nip some quarterbacking in the bud but everyone was a good sport. Love the narrative and the mechanics are mostly intuitive. Not super clear on the mission decks and the flow from mission to mission, but I don't think we hosed anything up too bad.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

thespaceinvader posted:

I think I've missed this, but where do you play?

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Boardgaming-online.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

The Grey posted:

I'll be weird and suggest The Quiet Year.

You could make a decent argument that it's less of a game and more of some kind of shared storygame thing, but it's loads of fun, super easy to pick up and you just need a normal deck of cards, paper, a pen and the itty bitty rulebook. (Or well, the 4 pages of reference sheets that you can print two to a page double sided to be one folded page. Or have the .pdf on your phone or whatever.)

It's popular enough with non-gamers and sufficiently small that I actually just keep the supplies in my bag on a day to day basis to play in bars and poo poo.

O and if you take it out of the box, Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective is literally just a medium sized stack of 8x10 papers. I also unapologetically play that at bars.