Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Did they remove slaves from Robigo or am I missing something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

timn posted:

Hang in there, it's worth it. The huge weapons are coming in 2.1 which is slated for "spring".

The beauty of outfitting the corvette is that you can more or less do whatever and still be the meanest, toughest comp stomper in the game. If you fit a minimum of a big cargo rack, fuel tank or fuel scoop, and an SRV hangar you can joyride around the bubble doing whatever pleases you while still being armed and armored to the teeth.

Can't this also be said about an anaconda, which costs less and isn't rank gated or hobbled by poor jump range?

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Feb 27, 2016

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Sort of but not to the same extent. The true secret sauce of the corvette which isn't reflected on paper is the absurd maneuverability for a ship its size. The anaconda is noticeably less practical to run around in. Even before 1.5 a lot of people preferred pythons and clippers to anacondas for that same reason. The corvette hits a magic sweet spot between the two, and actually has larger internals than the anaconda too.

Edit: And the crappy jump range actually doesn't really matter when you can just fit a fuel tank in one of your 3 class 7 slots and have 230ly of total range. You still shouldn't go exploring, but it's plenty to get around the bubble without even thinking about scooping fuel.

timn fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Feb 27, 2016

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.
I'll just chime in here with Anaconda vs. Corvette - for an all-round ship that's intended to fight and trade in human space, the Python is much better than the Anaconda. I ground my way up to the Anaconda, and found the only stand-out thing it's good for is exploration (and even modest ships like the DBE and Adder are at least 90% as good as the Anaconda for that stuff). The Corvette, on the other hand, is great for fighting and trading simultaneously (i.e. without needing to completely refit your ship), and a very good ship for cruising around the bubble, doing whatever strikes your fancy.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
People put too much emphasis on jump range anyway. It's ok guys, you can take 3 more jumps instead of just 1 when in the bubble, it's a few more minutes maybe. Exploring is when jump ranges matter more, but not bubble taxiing.

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

"If you don't find rape hilarious, you're a sensitive crybaby."

Sekenr posted:

Did they remove slaves from Robigo or am I missing something?

Yep. Some discussion around it here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3740324&pagenumber=173#lastpost

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
Whether it still works or not, I'm sure there will be bugs & exploits aplenty when 2.1 hits. Also it was back around for a month~ which is a lot longer than anyone should have really been hoping for.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

timn posted:

Sort of but not to the same extent. The true secret sauce of the corvette which isn't reflected on paper is the absurd maneuverability for a ship its size. The anaconda is noticeably less practical to run around in. Even before 1.5 a lot of people preferred pythons and clippers to anacondas for that same reason. The corvette hits a magic sweet spot between the two, and actually has larger internals than the anaconda too.

Edit: And the crappy jump range actually doesn't really matter when you can just fit a fuel tank in one of your 3 class 7 slots and have 230ly of total range. You still shouldn't go exploring, but it's plenty to get around the bubble without even thinking about scooping fuel.

Well, I don't know about this. At the end of the day, neither the Anaconda nor the Federal Corvette is a PVP ship, which raises the question of which ship is better PVE. And if I'm not mistaken, at least until the new update the Anaconda actually does more DPS to most targets than the Corvette, owing to the extra hardpoints.

For my money, with A-rated thrusters the Anaconda isn't that much less manouverable. Of course, I find it rather silly that the Corvette moves like it does at all; with the kind of mass it's sporting it should be more akin to the Cutter than anything else. But regardless, with A-rated everything and tanked to hell, the only real big difference between the ships that I can see is that extra huge hardpoint.

There's also the issue of cost and effort. The Corvette takes a lot of work to aquire, and with donation spamming it's going to take a lot of cash as well which is more work. Additionally, the Corvette itself is more expensive to outfit and maintain.

And to be fair, jump range really does matter quite a bit, if only as a quality of life thing. If you're mostly confined to a small area, I'd agree that it doesn't really matter. But you're not, and the game doesn't take place in only a confined small area. A pretty central part of this game is the huge and expansive galaxy out there. Sure, it's pretty empty (for all we know) but that's on the developer. If the game is ever given any content to play with, it's probably not going to be contained to the bubble - what with all the aliens and whatnot.

I figure the Corvette is a good ship for combat, especially against big targets like the Cutter and the Anaconda, but I figure the Anaconda is the better all-rounder for most tasks. So for those who don't want to put in the effort, and want to have the option to do pretty much anything they want when they want with a huge-rear end ship, I think the Anaconda is the cheaper, easier and safer choice.

But most importantly, I don't see the practical difference between the big three ships and I don't see how the Corvette is easier for everyday use at all. They all seem to have tradeoffs and specialities. It's probably safe to say that there is no real wrong choice there, and that people should go for whatever they want for whatever reason they want.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Only pubbies and fools think the Anaconda is better than the Corvette in PvE.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
As I see it, the Anaconda has an awesome bridge, the Corvette has huge guns and the Cutter looks helluva sweet. That's different enough in my book.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Only pubbies and fools think the Anaconda is better than the Corvette in PvE.

I'm sure, but I'm having a lot of trouble finding any kind of serious analysis for just exactly why that is. The only consensus I seem to be able to find is that it really doesn't matter.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Libluini posted:

As I see it, the Anaconda has an awesome bridge, the Corvette has huge guns and the Cutter looks helluva sweet. That's different enough in my book.

This is true and I would be in complete agreement with you if they were in the same "effort to get" tier, but they aren't, not even close. We shouldn't be sitting here talking about these three like they're interchangeable. The two that cost twice as much to fit as the anaconda (and require a non-trivial rank grind) deserve to feel like a step up from the anaconda, rather than just its differently endowed sisters

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Your Loyal Vizier posted:

This is true and I would be in complete agreement with you if they were in the same "effort to get" tier, but they aren't, not even close. We shouldn't be sitting here talking about these three like they're interchangeable. The two that cost twice as much to fit as the anaconda (and require a non-trivial rank grind) deserve to feel like a step up from the anaconda, rather than just its differently endowed sisters

You're right. Both the Cutter and the Corvette could need a nice upgrade to their FSDs, for one. I look at the Corvette and I think Frontier made it so heavy only because they noticed how people could wring silly jump ranges out of the Anaconda by ripping out parts. They really didn't want people using the Cutter and Corvette for exploration, it seems.

Hell, if they really want both ships to be so heavy, they could easily upgrade the armor a little bit, since both ships come with less armor than the cheaper and lighter Anaconda. This is really silly, it's like technology degraded after the Anaconda and now people in this universe can't build ships as strong and light like it anymore. :shepface:

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
The reason jump ranges seem so binary most of the time is because most of the ships with lovely jump ranges pop up to 40-50 ly range with an A-rank FSD the next class up, this really isn't the case with the corvette though. Fully stripped the corvette would cap out at 31ly range with a 7A fsd, that is with no shield or anything and all standard modules downclassed completely, it would however rest more around 15-20 ly range when actually kitted out. It really seems pretty silly that they ended up giving it a class 6 instead of a 7 FSD when you look at the numbers.

I can't theorycraft the Cutter in the same way since there are no stats for class 8 FSDs, but in any case the corvette needs an upgrade way more.

What they should probably do is increment the classes of FSDs a bit more, then adjust the allowed ship fittings to go along with it, which would allow the FDL for instance to get an upgrade without ending up with 40ly range.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Is there any real point to the cutter? other than looking nice and being the tankiest, fastest and heaviest hauler around

timn
Mar 16, 2010

DPS is an interesting point because having just one large hardpoint does kind of suck, and if there's one true weakness to the ship that's definitely it. But if hardpoint selection was the only factor then the Cutter should be the king of PVE. At a certain point maneuverability makes or breaks you in that respect, and the Corvette really is a significant improvement. It's the most striking thing about the ship the moment you first take off in one, and it's something the Anaconda hurts for considering all the people who still shunned it for combat even before the Corvette was released.

No one disagrees that a crappy jump range is bad for getting around outside of the bubble. It can also be bad for getting around inside of the bubble, except the corvette has no reason to not just mount a C7 fuel tank and have enough total range to get to most places without stopping. If Frontier does eventually implement major content in distant parts of the galaxy, you can be sure they're going to implement alternate ways to get out there as well. 99% of the galaxy is a pain in the rear end to reach for the average player no matter what they're flying.

Lastly, if you take a good look at internals you'll notice the Corvette actually has way more capacity than the Anaconda, 616t vs. 404t. Those two extra C7 slots let you carry a much bigger chunk of cargo and fuel (because what else are you going to put there?) without impacting your ability to stack armor and any misc modules you desire. It's simply easier to outfit the Corvette to do more stuff while carrying more stuff while still being better to actually fly.

There's nothing wrong with using the Anaconda as a do-everything multi-role barge, and that's what it exists for. The Corvette is just a decent bit better at it in exchange for being a lot more expensive and painful to get a hold of.

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Is there any real point to the cutter? other than looking nice and being the tankiest, fastest and heaviest hauler around

I had a pipe dream to make the galaxy's most opulent mining barge out of one, but until there's a way to grind imperial rank at least on par with 17 Draconis it's not gonna happen for me.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

timn posted:

DPS is an interesting point because having just one large hardpoint does kind of suck, and if there's one true weakness to the ship that's definitely it. But if hardpoint selection was the only factor then the Cutter should be the king of PVE. At a certain point maneuverability makes or breaks you in that respect, and the Corvette really is a significant improvement. It's the most striking thing about the ship the moment you first take off in one, and it's something the Anaconda hurts for considering all the people who still shunned it for combat even before the Corvette was released.

No one disagrees that a crappy jump range is bad for getting around outside of the bubble. It can also be bad for getting around inside of the bubble, except the corvette has no reason to not just mount a C7 fuel tank and have enough total range to get to most places without stopping. If Frontier does eventually implement major content in distant parts of the galaxy, you can be sure they're going to implement alternate ways to get out there as well. 99% of the galaxy is a pain in the rear end to reach for the average player no matter what they're flying.

Lastly, if you take a good look at internals you'll notice the Corvette actually has way more capacity than the Anaconda, 616t vs. 404t. Those two extra C7 slots let you carry a much bigger chunk of cargo and fuel (because what else are you going to put there?) without impacting your ability to stack armor and any misc modules you desire. It's simply easier to outfit the Corvette to do more stuff while carrying more stuff while still being better to actually fly.

There's nothing wrong with using the Anaconda as a do-everything multi-role barge, and that's what it exists for. The Corvette is just a decent bit better at it in exchange for being a lot more expensive and painful to get a hold of.

I had a pipe dream to make the galaxy's most opulent mining barge out of one, but until there's a way to grind imperial rank at least on par with 17 Draconis it's not gonna happen for me.

Yes, and the manouverability difference between the Corvette and the Anaconda isn't really all that huge, especially considering that neither of the ships are nimble by any stretch. Yes, by comparison the Corvette is more manouverable than the Anaconda and the Cutter, but less manouverable than anything else (apart from transports, but even the Anaconda beats those). I don't know that the Anaconda was or is shunned for combat. I've used one for HighRez and conflict zones and it melts stuff while being an unbreakable tank. Just like the Corvette.

Well, if you want to fly around inside the bubble or out, jump range is a very significant factor if you want to avoid wasting time staring at witchspace. For a ship that's supposed to do everything other than PVP (which is sort of the only definition of PVE I can figure in a sandbox game), it's a really important quality.

Looking at some stuff in Coriolis, the Anaconda seems to come out ahead in armor, less in shields and more in DPS while maintaining pretty much the same capabilities, only the jump range is at least a good third longer. I'm not seeing anything that tells me that the Corvette is better at doing all the jobs the Anaconda can do with any sort of appreciable margin. I don't get where you're coming from with that.

Guess we're going to have to agree to disagree with the "decent bit better" part of that. For my money, the Corvette isn't appreciably better, even though it really really should be, and that goes double for the Cutter. Going by size, name and role the Corvette should be absolutely brimming with guns, be somewhat slow and cumbersome like the Cutter and have even more internals, armor, shields, bigger FSD and power plant. Instead, all the standard fittings on it are identical to the Anaconda, the ~500 ton smaller ship, and the internals are pretty much comparable.

Pretty much for the cost and effort, Corvette and Cutter owners should be getting more value for their money. As is, it looks like people who aren't specifically interested in a Corvette and Cutter might just as well save themselves the effort and keep the Anaconda.

Besides, who knows what future updates will bring? As far as I know, the Anaconda is the only ship getting a bigger docking bay for fighters Sidewinder-sized.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Well, that's four points in my account book, but that's only me using basic math.

I'm horrible at higher math though, maybe there's the secret?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Libluini posted:

Well, that's four points in my account book, but that's only me using basic math.

I'm horrible at higher math though, maybe there's the secret?

Yeah, but what kind of role will the Cutter have once they release the Panther Clipper?

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
I guess my problem is that it's a really boring ship in conjunction with what's available to actually do with those features. (except take nice screenshots)

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Nice piece of fish posted:

Yeah, but what kind of role will the Cutter have once they release the Panther Clipper?

Presumably when that gets added in (or shortly after, when they realize absolutely no one is flying the cutter anymore) they'll rebalance the cutter and corvette as well

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Forget Yet Another Multipurpose Destroyer. I just want to see an imperial courier Mk 2 that has a power distributor worth a drat.

If the sustained firepower for RES farming wasn't so anemic I'd go back to it in a heartbeat.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

The biggest issue with the corvette is that it only has 1 class 3 hardpoint.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Okay, im in a fully upgraded Cobra III, what is the next combat ship to upgrade to? A vulture?

It seems like there are some massive gaps in purchase price here. Particularly after the vulture.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

BitBasher posted:

Okay, im in a fully upgraded Cobra III, what is the next combat ship to upgrade to? A vulture?

It seems like there are some massive gaps in purchase price here. Particularly after the vulture.

Definitely. Luckily the Vulture is such a magic boat of wonder that you won't mind the extra time in it

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

BitBasher posted:

Yeah, even a D-Fit Vulture is pretty good though. Just be sure to upgrade the capacitor.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Akion posted:

Yeah, even a D-Fit Vulture is pretty good though. Just be sure to upgrade the capacitor.

Really? I can come up with 7.75 million if I sell the loaded Cobra III I'm in now. It's worth it to just straight buy the Vulture? I was planning to save another 10 million or so first.

Edit Also, I'm missing something. I can't figure out how to search Inara for the closest vulture to Chias Vega in Li Yong Rui territory. Is there a way to search like that I am missing?

BitBasher fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Feb 28, 2016

Urit
Oct 22, 2010

BitBasher posted:

Really? I can come up with 7.75 million if I sell the loaded Cobra III I'm in now. It's worth it to just straight buy the Vulture? I was planning to save another 10 million or so first.

Edit Also, I'm missing something. I can't figure out how to search Inara for the closest vulture to Chias Vega in Li Yong Rui territory. Is there a way to search like that I am missing?

Don't use Inara to search for modules/ships.

https://eddb.io/ is the best right now. https://eddb.io/station?s=23&e=3&i=1&p=9&r=3319 Diaguandri is the closest that is also high-tech (has lots of outfitting).

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Vulture is best. Always Vulture. Vulture

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

BitBasher posted:

If you want shootmans the vulture is your target.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

DancingShade posted:

Forget Yet Another Multipurpose Destroyer. I just want to see an imperial courier Mk 2 that has a power distributor worth a drat.

If the sustained firepower for RES farming wasn't so anemic I'd go back to it in a heartbeat.

You're describing the Fer de Lance btw

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
I sincerely don't want to touch off another half dozen pages of laser debating but if someone could post the "objectively" "best" Vulture/FDL "fits" I would really appreciate it.

Objectively speaking, of course.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
May we discuss the merits of fitting a fuel tank/scoop instead of armor? The fuel scoop is objectively superior. It allows for fitting an exploration vulture.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

DreadLlama posted:

May we discuss the merits of fitting a fuel tank/scoop instead of armor? The fuel scoop is objectively superior. It allows for fitting an exploration vulture.

Objectively speaking, the tank provides extra fuel while being a shootable thing, therefore qualifying it as both ablative armour and a fuel source.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Vorenus posted:

I sincerely don't want to touch off another half dozen pages of laser debating but if someone could post the "objectively" "best" Vulture/FDL "fits" I would really appreciate it.

http://coriolis.io/outfit/vulture/24A5A4A3A5A4D3C1e1e00000404B2032o2525.Iw19kA==.EwBhEYy6tEg=?bn=Boring
This one is the "best" vulture, put whatever you want in the C4 slot

http://coriolis.io/outfit/vulture/24A5A4A3A5A4D3C2b2b00000202B2032o2525.Iw19kA==.EwBhEYy6tEg=?bn=PAC%20MAN
This one is my favorite however.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Vorenus posted:

Been a while since I've flown one but: http://coriolis.io/outfit/vulture/04A5C4A3D5A4D3C1e1e04040402B25d2o--.AwRj4zyA.AwjMIyQRgo== would probably do you well

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

You're describing the Fer de Lance btw

I'm flying an A-rated FDL but it just isn't as sexy as the courier.

I wish there was a way to reskin it or get a Gutamaya brand FDL.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
This one seems a good fit. http://coriolis.io/outfit/vulture/03A5D4A3D5A4D3Cmlml000002023922C32f00.AwRj4zyA.CwBhCYEYWtPmBmMig===

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Perfect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

DancingShade posted:

More truly multipurpose ships worth a drat less than 20-57 million credits off the shelf, regardless of faction standings, would be swell. The Asp Explorer feels like it's too much of a target for it's price point if you want to go "And also combat" with it, but I'm sure plenty of people get good use out of it. Courier seems super sweet but cramped for internal space.

Cobra MK IV gives me the sense being deliberately mediocre due to it's "hope you bought stuff before February!" accessibility. But nothing else seems to come close to it's price point for internal slots, jump range, and the ability to shoot 4+ weapons relatively straight at the same time.

Hopefully if they do make something between the Imperial courier and Imperial clipper, it's actually good. Even if I haven't gotten around to Empire rank by then.

• Locked thread