Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

quote:

"Truthfully there are like...6 goons actively stirring poo poo about Star Citizen and then a few others join in when they are bored. SA is full of horrid neckbeards but most don't give two shits about this game or project. These days SA seems to be full of extremist SJW's/fake SJW's, its hard to find a good 'goon' cause most of the actually clever/funny ones bailed years ago.

Main issue is those 6 goons + Derek are loud and extremely persistent and won't take a hint."
Seven loud people are creating the dissent seen everywhere. Just ignore it, it has no basis in reality...

I did find the neckbeards comment out of line, simply because:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

a lot of cat owners in this thread

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

SelenicMartian posted:

Sandi's effect on people.

Replace MONEY with HELP.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Replace MONEY with HELP.

Dude is bringing in a living wage from backer funds to prove that he's employed by CIG.

I'd be laughing too.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

D_Smart posted:

SQ42 is coming to consoles. It just hasn't been publicly announced yet.

And they will totally frame it as saying that this is SQ42 and not Star Citizen. They would be right; since they've up and split the games into two parts.

Question: do Microsoft and Sony still do some kind of certification or QA process or is that all out the window now and they'll allow something utterly broken to ship for their platforms with the provision that the developer "patch it later?"

I can't imagine SQ42 passing some kind of formal review if people are still clipping through ships, dry-humping the floors, and shooting guns by pointing their index finger while the pistol remains holstered. Oh, and they still haven't worked out the crosshairs thing either, right?

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

D1E posted:

Question: do Microsoft and Sony still do some kind of certification or QA process or is that all out the window now and they'll allow something utterly broken to ship for their platforms with the provision that the developer "patch it later?"

I can't imagine SQ42 passing some kind of formal review if people are still clipping through ships, dry-humping the floors, and shooting guns by pointing their index finger while the pistol remains holstered. Oh, and they still haven't worked out the crosshairs thing either, right?

You still have the QA process I believe. They arent like steam in that regard.But you have to pay for patches if memory serves correct as well.(Xbone)

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Chocobo posted:

Am I retarded or do simple things like dropping out of supercruise within a reasonable distance of your target take some serious practice in Elite? I overshot my target twice, then dropped out a loving million miles away. I mean, it seems like you could very easily drive yourself into a sun by being off a second in your timing.

What a pretty game.

I probably should have done a tutorial? gently caress it, I'll figure it out on the fly.

I prevent overshooting by watching the 'time to destination' counter next to the targeted planet or station. When it gets under 0:15, I slow down to halfway the blue zone and then calmly get there, slowing down some more when it gets really close.
But I still overshoot often after a year hehe.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

I know this is from a few pages ago, but holy poo poo. This guy doesn't want to play any sort of game. He wants something that he will never lose in where he can remove anything that might present any sort of challenge. The game isn't going to come out so it doesn't matter, but what would he do if it did?

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Wafflz posted:

Well they caught the boston bomber so we can't expect to get away with such shenanigans.

Tell me more about that. I guess they failed really spectacularly? :allears:

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Wuxi posted:

they picked a random brown person, ruined their life and were proud

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

G0RF posted:

Seven loud people are creating the dissent seen everywhere. Just ignore it, it has no basis in reality...

I did find the neckbeards comment out of line, simply because:

just lol if you are a 100 million dollar international company that has high level meetings about how to handle half a dozen goons.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Duckaerobics posted:

I know this is from a few pages ago, but holy poo poo. This guy doesn't want to play any sort of game. He wants something that he will never lose in where he can remove anything that might present any sort of challenge. The game isn't going to come out so it doesn't matter, but what would he do if it did?

He'd be prime game content imo

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Wafflz posted:

just lol if you are a 100 million dollar international company that has high level meetings about how to handle half a dozen goons.

I'd say we're more like a baker's half dozen

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

darkarchon posted:

So instead of shitposting all day I built a shelf for my cattes. It's padded and they love it.

gently caress yes

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Wuxi posted:

reddit basically ruined some dude's life because they thought they are perry mason

http://www.businessinsider.com/reddit-falsely-accuses-sunil-tripathi-of-boston-bombing-2013-7

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Wafflz posted:

half a dozen goons and the anti-Chris himself.

Turkina_Prime
Oct 26, 2013

Wafflz posted:

reddit basically ruined some dude's life because they thought they are perry mason

http://www.businessinsider.com/reddit-falsely-accuses-sunil-tripathi-of-boston-bombing-2013-7

Lets not forget this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpikNCoa8Yw

:allears:

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances

zcrow posted:

I wish I had time to do this better, but effort

:vince:

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

zcrow posted:

I wish I had time to do this better, but effort

:vince:

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

BMan posted:

I made another word thing I guess

http://i.imgur.com/XfJoZCn.gifv

This is awesome :)

(Sorry I'm hundreds of pages late, i read this thread while taking the bus so I'm only spending 4-6 hours a week on it and start getting behind)

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Wafflz posted:

if sandi really was eating pizza right above ben's head in some attempt to stick it to this thread then lmbo

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Ash1138 posted:

if sandi really was eating pizza right above ben's head in some attempt to stick it to this thread then lmbo

shes starting to seem not so nice

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

A Neurotic Jew posted:

can you say if they are still hoping for a 2016 release at this point or have they already given up on that

I thought I already posted about that. Star Citizen we already know is never - ever - getting released. As in never, ever, never.

SQ42 is a 2017 game.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Google Butt posted:

they picked a random brown person, ruined their life and were proud

Wafflz posted:

There are no words for me to describe how loving dumb Reddit is

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

croberts is my friend :reddit:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

D1E posted:

Yes. Don't worry; not way those fuckers aren't passing cert with the crap they've been pulling. And the good thing is, once you fail cert, you go back in the queue. Keep failing, and you can miss your launch date by a good 6-8 months.

I swear if these clowns seriously port SQ42 to any console in any form, it's the end of that game. Aside from the truly horrid acting that I'm hearing has been done to the cut scenes.

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Feb 28, 2016

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

D1E posted:

You still have to go through cert, but these days the thing they are paying the most attention to is system-level bugs and security. Your game can have bad clipping, dry-humping, missing models, and hosed crosshairs and still get out to the market. But if you have just one buffer overrun that might let someone break through the OS and create a softmod exploit, you ain't passing cert. That's where their priorities are now.

Berious posted:

Word. It's not like the gaming press don't know. If you listen to gaming podcasts and so forth you'll often hear oblique references to SC being a disaster. But none of them want to touch the story. Even "opinion formers" on Youtube don't want to create a fuss. I don't know if they're scared of getting sued (seems unlikely after Escapist called their bluff), scared of the crazy fans, scared of losing access, scared of being labelled a muckraker. Something is going on though.

I've posted about this before, but it's nothing to do with being industry shills or whatever. I don't think anyone's scared of losing access to Chris Roberts and star citizen. They're scared of being wrong on a big call like that because the blowback is real. Gamers are babies and hold weird grudges for stuff like that. To report on what's going on inside CIG, they either need an insider who will go on record, or they need to wait for the fat lady to sing. A post-mortem expose about how poo poo went down is safe.

Also, games are very frequently on fire while they're in development. Doesn't always mean they'll be terrible games. Game journos and industry vets have seen plenty of train wrecks, sometimes it results in a crazy collapse and sometimes the train miraculously puts itself back together and pulls into the station.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

MedicineHut posted:

quote:

The press is the 4th power

Uh, there's only one 4th power buddy, and you'd better watch out because they have the worst kinds of electricity.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Klyith posted:

Also, games are very frequently on fire while they're in development. Doesn't always mean they'll be terrible games. Game journos and industry vets have seen plenty of train wrecks, sometimes it results in a crazy collapse and sometimes the train miraculously puts itself back together and pulls into the station.

Of course, but we have Ray Charles at the helm of this choo-choo.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Klyith posted:

You still have to go through cert, but these days the thing they are paying the most attention to is system-level bugs and security. Your game can have bad clipping, dry-humping, missing models, and hosed crosshairs and still get out to the market. But if you have just one buffer overrun that might let someone break through the OS and create a softmod exploit, you ain't passing cert. That's where their priorities are now.

I've posted about this before, but it's nothing to do with being industry shills or whatever. I don't think anyone's scared of losing access to Chris Roberts and star citizen. They're scared of being wrong on a big call like that because the blowback is real. Gamers are babies and hold weird grudges for stuff like that. To report on what's going on inside CIG, they either need an insider who will go on record, or they need to wait for the fat lady to sing. A post-mortem expose about how poo poo went down is safe.

Thank you for knocking out these questions with detailed answers.

Is there usually a particular tipping point when the landslide begins in the media? I'll admit to having spent next to no time reading/caring about gaming media in the past so I've no idea when the dogpile begins.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

intardnation posted:

DRM, No customer service, up till a little while ago no refunds, anti consumer, early access garbage, unity asset flips.
Screwed up market place at times, paid mods (reversed) etc. currency issues

Just off the top.

Paid mods are going to happen and at first I was angry about too but thinking on it more it sounds like not that bad of an idea. You'd even begin to see businesses grow around modding, where people can be hired to put the time and effort into creating complete and robust mods for various games. Kneejerk reactions to things because they're different is no way to be.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Jonny Nox posted:

Sorry to pull a quote from so long ago, but some of us have jobs..

Re Dangan Ronpa:

More specifically, it was translated by someone for whom neither Japanese nor English was their first language.

Also, it was a mystery story so there was a lot of speculation in the thread.

Also, the archive is here. It's really good.

http://lparchive.org/Dangan-Ronpa/

Pretty sure his is now an anime on Netflix. A psycho bear?

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

SelenicMartian posted:

Sandi's effect on people.

The true visage of terror.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

A very displeased cat. Unfortunately he suffered a progressive kidney failure a few weeks after this picture was taken, and I had to put him down. He lived 12 years, but never to see Star Citizen released :(

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Ravane posted:

I thought it was a parody too, but nope. smh.

Parody that writes itself.

Truly this is the future.

CashEnsign
Feb 7, 2015
This thread makes me glad. Goons get blamed for everything.
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/47vx70/ignore_chrisrobertsrsi_twitter_account/

If this game fails its literally going to be the fault of Derek Smart's Goonies.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

D_Smart posted:

SQ42 is coming to consoles. It just hasn't been publicly announced yet.

And they will totally frame it as saying that this is SQ42 and not Star Citizen. They would be right; since they've up and split the games into two parts.

rhololol.

Cant wait to see them piss out 40k$ of backer money each time they want to push a patch trough certification.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Haskell9 posted:

put this vessel in Plebian and I will back it on kickstarder

Added to SP ship ideas as a two seater* should be done in weeks, not months

*mileage may vary

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Duckaerobics posted:

Somebody needs to introduce this guy to the "starfield" screensaver, because I'm pretty sure that is his ideal game experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Dusty Lens posted:

Thank you for knocking out these questions with detailed answers.

Is there usually a particular tipping point when the landslide begins in the media? I'll admit to having spent next to no time reading/caring about gaming media in the past so I've no idea when the dogpile begins.

IDK, when do they get actionable information to report on? A good example is 38 Studios, which the gaming media treated with the same type of kid-gloves until a traditional dead-trees paper reported they were out of money and failing to repay loans. Then games jumped on it and we got lots of stories about line devs being hosed by this epic mismanagement. (However that case was special because 38 had gotten a $75 million loan from the state of RI, that's why traditional news was digging in the first place. It was a public interest story. That probably won't happen here.)

So I'd say most likely the worm won't turn until:
a) CIG starts running out of money and we hear about big layoffs / people missing paychecks
b) Squadron 42 gets released in some way where crobberts is expecting people to pay for it, thus counting as a "review-able" product. (Note that b probably won't happen until they're really close to a, so the end result might be pretty much the same stories.)

Then there will be a huge vomiting forth of articles and opinion pieces, like someone finally unclogged a poo poo-filled toilet. Hell, at this point I bet some people already have their "what does this mean for crowd-funding" articles pre-written, like a big newspaper had obituaries for famous people.

• Locked thread